Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Heavyweight challenge - supra time attack?

cunt
    i really want to see how you're going to get rego with that thing, afaik you can't get rego with side intrusions but if you can I'm all ears
    nice car btw
    Quote Originally Posted by BeverlyHillsCop View Post
    I think u should marry her... slip the ring inside your ass and next time she goes in, she'll come out with a ring on her finger...

but it is registered..

AFAIK the new ncop doesn't allow full side intrusion. The old one (prior Nov 1.) does. My engineer has said so far just one mod needs to be done on it. Though I trust this bloke there is a bit of trepidation here until I have the blue plate in my hand.

Tbh the need to retain 'fqctory' seat belts and what to do with the screamer have been more of a concern right now.

Oh and this has my trigger finger wavering...

http://www.supraforums.com.au/forum/...rbo-setup.html
    DJ's don't need sigs

cunt
    Trust me having intrusion bars will not get you rego unless hey are removable, good luck thou
    I think u should marry her... slip the ring inside your ass and next time she goes in, she'll come out with a ring on her finger...

^dunno i'm just going on what my eng said when he inspected it. Find out soon enough!

Good day today. Ready for tuner on Friday. Gave her a tub before putting her away. Just bloody fit on the old man's trailer too, even the doors opened with 2mm to spare saving me enough time to go xmas shopping this arvo. Awesome feeling.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20121211-00859.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	449.7 KB 
ID:	61747   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20121211-00860.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	61748   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20121211-00851.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	333.0 KB 
ID:	61744   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20121211-00852.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	272.5 KB 
ID:	61745   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20121211-00850.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	61746  

DJ's don't need sigs

Put away after a wash.

Name:	IMG-20121211-00864.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	61749  
    DJ's don't need sigs

Quote Originally Posted by XFJET View Post
    Trust me having intrusion bars will not get you rego unless hey are removable, good luck thou
    You seem to be confused between a blue plate and a roadworthy.
    Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Sports Sedan

cunt
    with permanent side intrusion bars you will not get a roadworthy full stop

last time i spoke to an engineer he said he will not blue plate a car with permanent side intrusion bars, don't know if it was just him being an ass but yeah, you can get rally rego and have a full FIA cage thou claiming you do tarmac rallying

the OP is in QLD so if he does get blue plate and rego then hell I'll go slap a blue plate on my project stat

Sensei Cobra
    And then???

well i could prattle on about what happened but ill give the DJ a chance first.

Modesty! Mate without you it wouldn't have started at all, let me know your poison for next time we catch up.

Quote Originally Posted by Rz View Post
    well i could prattle on about what happened but ill give the DJ a chance first.
    I was hoping rz was taking notes. No exciting results.

Most useful diagnosis of the day was that the haltech p n p loom was set at the coils for CDI ( is that the right description rz?). So all day there was spark but not enough to ignite. It was semi igniting or front igniting for you old folks as the ignition/key came off. On key nothing. Rz suggested reversing polaritt(?) on the loom plugs at the coils and boom we had big strong spark and ignition.

It ran, then pissed oil out the Other cam seal from first turnover.

Of more concern was the cam angle sensor indicating a wrong number over 180 degrees out and a clink at rear of the head.

So need to check cam seal, do a thorough check of chambers for foreign bodies, check cam sensor and ring haltech (ecu book says only use one of the cam timing sensors on the 2j)

I also want to find an auto lec who knows haltech products. Either that or i'll be buying some elec tools for xmas.

As an aside it also needs 6 bar map sensor, and an oil pressure sender that is compatible with the haltech.

Rz what did I miss here anything?
    Last edited by I'm DJ!; 15-12-12 at 08:29 PM. Reason: ifag
    DJ's don't need sigs

yeh polarity arse-about for CDI, reversed the pins on the coil plugs and it was golden.

mate that was a sharp noise at the back of the donk, im hoping its something other than what i think it is.
    cam seal is a bit of a worry, how did that get fucked up after just being apart for the cam issue?
    that and the timing belt guide missing = give your mechanic a firm poke in the eye.

tear down time either way.

actually thinking about it, im going with a snapped intake cam, given it ran like a total bag of shit when it eventually fired.
    also explains the timing weirdness matty never got on top of, the sync sensor reads the back of that cam....

did you want to hear that?

Top end better than bottom end...

!!

Could be right. Metallic noise. Could be anything, none of which are good...

actually thinking about it, im going with a snapped intake cam, given it ran like a total bag of shit when it eventually fired.
    also explains the timing weirdness matty never got on top of, the sync sensor reads the back of that cam....

did you want to hear that?
    DJ's don't need sigs

No excuse really. First issue was the other cam, but you'd double check the other one wouldn't you?

yeh polarity arse-about for CDI, reversed the pins on the coil plugs and it was golden.

mate that was a sharp noise at the back of the donk, im hoping its something other than what i think it is.
    cam seal is a bit of a worry, how did that get fucked up after just being apart for the cam issue?
    that and the timing belt guide missing = give your mechanic a firm poke in the eye.

tear down time either way.
    DJ's don't need sigs

yeh.
    i reckon it hasnt been driven all the way flush and popped back out.
    there was a good half a litre on the floor after not even 2 minutes running.

Sensei Cobra
    Bummer dude. This is exactly why I let my car be tuned around the corner from Al's instead of trying to bring it home and choosing my own tuner. Bit harder in your case though.

Plus new motor. Top end was complete and assembled at the machinists so it's hard to imagine they fucked up. Anyway, we'll get it apart and have a look. Whatever it is, it is. Clayto you home this am, thought I might sneak over with the boys?
    Last edited by I'm DJ!; 16-12-12 at 06:04 AM. Reason: ifag smart text
    DJ's don't need sigs

Sensei Cobra
    Quote Originally Posted by I'm DJ! View Post
    Plus new motor. Top end was complete and assembled at the machinists so it's hard to imagine they fucked up. Anyway, we'll get it apart and have a look. Whatever it is, it is. Clayto you home this am, thought I might sneak over with the boys?
    Sorry mate, didn't see this! Was out though. I'll be around next weekend a bit though if you can sneak out then....

dam that sucks Damo not the outcome i expected for you from today

Bad luck with the donk, fixed side intrusion bars as part of a cage are basically OK for rego if they are no higher than the seat cushion. Normal height ones have to be removeable. Then there are body clearance requirements for anything else.
    Richard's DatsunZ lappin LakesidZ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47OSh...&feature=g-upl

“Freedom of speech does not protect you from the consequences of saying stupid shit.”
    ― Jim C. Hines

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
    ― Daniel Patrick Moynihan

“Four hostile newspapers are more to be feared than a thousand bayonets..”
    ― Napoleon Bonaparte

Well it's the first time I've built a project car. Most of it's learning for me. I was hopeful it would be right, but given Murphy's law I hadn't expected everything to be perfect.

I think 'best case' is cam sensor is shot or getting interference and random metallic click was something left in the bore. Cam sensor on these seems to have caused issues going by the haltech forum / FAQ website. Should know today if snapped cam.

Thanks to ahab for suggesting a bris auto leccy who knows haltech too.
    DJ's don't need sigs

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Arthur View Post
    Bad luck with the donk, fixed side intrusion bars as part of a cage are basically OK for rego if they are no higher than the seat cushion. Normal height ones have to be removeable. Then there are body clearance requirements for anything else.
    Cheers mate,that's what my engineer said too. It has changed under the new rules though he reckoned.
    DJ's don't need sigs

Good luck with it, be interesting to see what the outcome is. You are doing a good job, shit happens to anyone.
    Richard's DatsunZ lappin LakesidZ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47OSh...&feature=g-upl

“Freedom of speech does not protect you from the consequences of saying stupid shit.”
    ― Jim C. Hines

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
    ― Daniel Patrick Moynihan

“Four hostile newspapers are more to be feared than a thousand bayonets..”
    ― Napoleon Bonaparte

yep interference would be up there as a cause.
    if the motor looks fine then maybe have a look around the clutch, the noise was certainly right up the back.

You had a chance to get the cam covers off yet Damo?

Cam is ok. Got someone coming with an oscilloscope to check the bores and valvetrain from inside. No. 5 spark plug looks like it's been hit by something. Given tolerances are fixed, foreign body is the assumption. Could be ugly.
    DJ's don't need sigs

all the buckets following the cams ok?

Yes.
    all the buckets following the cams ok?
    Cam seal perfect. Cam cover cracked at the front left either due fatigue or non even tension (or both). Oil was travelling along this crack and in behind the cam gear.

No. 5 plug is belted so no spark, hence shit running.

Oscilliscope tomorrow. There is material on the piston and some minor pitting. Concern is that a valve has broken either completely or an edge. Valve edge could also explain shit running.

Assembly vs qa.

Fingers crossed it is a foreign body and no valve damage (can't believe I said that) pics to come.

Also spoke to Dale,he said the cam trigger does need to be set exactly 180 degrees opposite actual.
    DJ's don't need sigs

So Pics of damage:

Issue 1: Oil out the Cam seal: No - it looks like the 2JZGTE cam cover hole issue strikes again. eg Linky: http://my.is/forums/f114/2jzgte-valv...inside-446025/

Issue 2: Shit running. Cam timing and trigger point needs to be 180 degress what it physically is with a non-vvti engine. RZ I don't know if it was exactly that or whether Matty got to near there through trial and error? Will have to compare with what Dale sends through as a suggested setting. Could also have been due to extra air from either Issue 1 above or a broken / chipped valve - see Issue 3:

Issue 3: There is metallic looking material in bore of number 5. Won't know until tomorrow what it is or if there is any internal damage other than a small bit of visible pitting. Spark plug was smashed so no spark and this could also have contributed to Issue 2 above.

Will update images in 2 secs.

Name:	IMG-20121217-00900.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	61851   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20121217-00896.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	156.3 KB 
ID:	61853   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20121217-00902.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	61854   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20121217-00905.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	563.1 KB 
ID:	61855   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20121217-00906.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	699.6 KB 
ID:	61856  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20121217-00907.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	612.4 KB 
ID:	61857  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by I'm DJ!; 17-12-12 at 01:23 PM. Reason: pics
    DJ's don't need sigs

ah yeh, they break pretty easy if they get pulled down too hard. welded a few up in the past.