Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Show us your solidworks models

Been meaning to put this up for a while so here goes. This is an electric reverse for my dune buggy. It uses components from an ebay china starter motor for a 1Fz. The idea is to take the gear reduction from the standard 4.4 to around 17:1, while still fitting in the buggy. The gears have been waterjet cut out of hardox 400. The cut of the gears is a bit sketchy in spots, but it should be fit for purpose. I haven't finished this yet, still have some ally spacers to cut out on my cnc router and some lathe work to do. Heres the pics.

Last edited by mrniceguy; 10-02-17 at 07:03 PM.

Cool man

yes ,. very. did that include machining the cases?

The case was water-jet cut from 25mm aluminium. The water jet couldn't cut the holes all the way through but it marked them so I could use my drill press. The end plates were laser cut. About 1/4 the cost and still accurate enough.

That Hardox is impressive stuff. When people come to check out our machines I have a strip of Hardox 450 6mm wide by 3mm thick and about 300mm long and I give it to them to try and bend by hand.

What is it like to machine?

Pretty good, with a plasma cutter lol
    3D scanning
    3D modelling
    Structural certification
    3 and 5 axis milling

The profile cutters can drill through with udrills and special inserts. I don't know if u can machine it with carbide inserts. Even with the weldox it doesn't take much to destroy the inserts and start throwing melted swath everywhere.

Well I hope I made the right choice of material. The water jet man had never cut gears before!

You can see I cleaned up the end of one of the gears on the lathe. The standard "bit" whatever they are called went blunt straight away. But my neighbour had a handful of the inserts so we brazed one of them on the end of the standard bit and that did it.
    I only cleaned up the end of it though.
    Last edited by mrniceguy; 12-02-17 at 12:35 AM.

I'm not sure on specs of Hardox 400 but Hardox 450 has a yield strength of 1100mpa so I think u will be right strength wise. I would be interested to see if the teeth bed in. Maybe chuck some trefolex in it or gear grinding past to help polish the gear faces and avoid it galling up. It's typical practice in gear train design to run a harder material pinion and softer material gear.

I remember when designing those spirals on the first page I got a consulting engineering firm to do design validation and spec the gear train. The hardness requirements they specified was pretty in depth. The Chinese supplier as it turned out didn't do the proper hardening and they were fucked in about a month. A local supplier did me a good price as they wanted to try out some new gear profile software they got for their Cnc machines. They got the gear properly hardened and they remained spotless the next 12 months or so before I left. That's gotta be about 6-7 years ago so I would love to know if the machine is still operating and what condition all that stuff is in.

Well I did some more on this today. I finally got my X carve all back together after replacing the plastic wasteboard with ally extrusion. Now all squared up (or as square as this thing will ever get!).

I made up some spacers. Both drawn 0.2mm oversize. Both fit into place tightly with some force. Pretty happy with that!

Silky smooth

I ended up using a grinder with a cutting disk to clean up some of the teeth. Works ok.

Last edited by mrniceguy; 30-04-17 at 01:23 AM.

Intake Manifold

Lambo v10 intake manifold that we just finished! Pretty proud of this one. Design was done before Xmas but had no machine time to make it till a few weeks ago.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LAMBO-00.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	344.5 KB 
ID:	99563   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170502_163458.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	4.56 MB 
ID:	99564  

How many hours in the model? That is the shit
    3D scanning
    3D modelling
    Structural certification
    3 and 5 axis milling

That's awesome