Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: Show us your solidworks models

Quote Originally Posted by ricardo View Post
    I guess you mean something like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37OjYApOfrs

Definitely a quicker way to do things, as you say the libraries are the issue. Unfortunatelythe pipework is not really our core business - we make coal mining equipment, so although we do use pipework in some of the stuff that we do, I can't say it is a big part of it. Will be running CFD on hydraulic components, FEA for pressure testing and structural analysis of frames. Fairly basic in the scheme of things.
    Yea like that but that looks like 3d autocad so pretty much retards version of it, routing then let's U define each spool and makes automatic BOM for every spool and is easy as.

There is limitations.

My friend who I do this stuff with uses the fea in fusion 360 ultimate as it is full non linear and probably better than Solidworks.
    3D scanning
    3D modelling
    Structural certification
    3 and 5 axis milling

I am only running the free fusion 360 at the moment while I learn but I had a play with the fea recently. The interface did seem very similar. I知 not sure what solver is used in SW but when playing with F360 it did mention nastran at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Commotion View Post
    I知 not sure what solver is used in SW
    It used to be Cosmos Express. NFI what it is these days, but it was pretty limited when I used it.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

most of the CAD with inbuilt FEA/CFD gives access to a limited solver its not meant for real professional and large jobs no matter what the sales pricks tell you. it was like that 15 years ago. ANSYS workbench is pretty user friendly (relatively affordable for the basic capability) but even still the control feels relatively limited compared to other old school packages like Patran/Nastran but for most things its capable enough and they do update every version
    E30 325is M20 3.1L

Workbench runs the same solver as the old classic I believe (mechanical APDL) but with the more user friendly interface. Any of the controls not available directly in the workbench environment are still available by using the keyword snippets. It痴 a pretty powerful software but the ease of use from the interface can allow someone quite green to get some results without fully understanding it all. I知 familiar with Ls-dyna (ls-prepost more specifically) and I assume nastran and strand are similar. There is not much hope of just bumbling ur way through it. It took me a significant amount of research and training before I got a successful solve. I only have access to ansys v15 but there was some significant improvement in the later releases.

I知 not sure what a linear structural license cost but I know list price on the top tier non-linear structural license is about 120k.

Last time i used workbench, there was the option to load the classic environment (I'd been using Ansys since Anysys 5.4).
    My memory of Strand 7 is that it's heavily limited compared to Nastran/Patran/Ansys - certainly the method for building models sucked balls.
    The FEA that's integral with CAD packages is really only for back of the envelope type concept checking - it's definitely not for anything serious.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Quote Originally Posted by Commotion View Post
    Workbench runs the same solver as the old classic I believe (mechanical APDL) but with the more user friendly interface. Any of the controls not available directly in the workbench environment are still available by using the keyword snippets. It痴 a pretty powerful software but the ease of use from the interface can allow someone quite green to get some results without fully understanding it all. I知 familiar with Ls-dyna (ls-prepost more specifically) and I assume nastran and strand are similar. There is not much hope of just bumbling ur way through it. It took me a significant amount of research and training before I got a successful solve. I only have access to ansys v15 but there was some significant improvement in the later releases.

I知 not sure what a linear structural license cost but I know list price on the top tier non-linear structural license is about 120k.
    yeah it does but you need to use the APDL commands to access some of the functions like you say, problem is most users wont be able to do that and LEAP dont offer training on the old stuff. when they up the workbench functionality to be more similar to the old interface from a function perspective it will be alot better. the old APDL interface is extremely painful
    Last edited by E30is; 02-03-18 at 05:36 PM.
    E30 325is M20 3.1L