Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: Show us your solidworks models

Quote Originally Posted by ricardo View Post
    I guess you mean something like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37OjYApOfrs

Definitely a quicker way to do things, as you say the libraries are the issue. Unfortunatelythe pipework is not really our core business - we make coal mining equipment, so although we do use pipework in some of the stuff that we do, I can't say it is a big part of it. Will be running CFD on hydraulic components, FEA for pressure testing and structural analysis of frames. Fairly basic in the scheme of things.
    Yea like that but that looks like 3d autocad so pretty much retards version of it, routing then let's U define each spool and makes automatic BOM for every spool and is easy as.

There is limitations.

My friend who I do this stuff with uses the fea in fusion 360 ultimate as it is full non linear and probably better than Solidworks.
    3D scanning
    3D modelling
    Structural certification
    3 and 5 axis milling

I am only running the free fusion 360 at the moment while I learn but I had a play with the fea recently. The interface did seem very similar. Iím not sure what solver is used in SW but when playing with F360 it did mention nastran at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Commotion View Post
    Iím not sure what solver is used in SW
    It used to be Cosmos Express. NFI what it is these days, but it was pretty limited when I used it.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

most of the CAD with inbuilt FEA/CFD gives access to a limited solver its not meant for real professional and large jobs no matter what the sales pricks tell you. it was like that 15 years ago. ANSYS workbench is pretty user friendly (relatively affordable for the basic capability) but even still the control feels relatively limited compared to other old school packages like Patran/Nastran but for most things its capable enough and they do update every version
    E30 325is M20 3.1L

Workbench runs the same solver as the old classic I believe (mechanical APDL) but with the more user friendly interface. Any of the controls not available directly in the workbench environment are still available by using the keyword snippets. Itís a pretty powerful software but the ease of use from the interface can allow someone quite green to get some results without fully understanding it all. Iím familiar with Ls-dyna (ls-prepost more specifically) and I assume nastran and strand are similar. There is not much hope of just bumbling ur way through it. It took me a significant amount of research and training before I got a successful solve. I only have access to ansys v15 but there was some significant improvement in the later releases.

Iím not sure what a linear structural license cost but I know list price on the top tier non-linear structural license is about 120k.

Last time i used workbench, there was the option to load the classic environment (I'd been using Ansys since Anysys 5.4).
    My memory of Strand 7 is that it's heavily limited compared to Nastran/Patran/Ansys - certainly the method for building models sucked balls.
    The FEA that's integral with CAD packages is really only for back of the envelope type concept checking - it's definitely not for anything serious.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Workbench runs the same solver as the old classic I believe (mechanical APDL) but with the more user friendly interface. Any of the controls not available directly in the workbench environment are still available by using the keyword snippets. Itís a pretty powerful software but the ease of use from the interface can allow someone quite green to get some results without fully understanding it all. Iím familiar with Ls-dyna (ls-prepost more specifically) and I assume nastran and strand are similar. There is not much hope of just bumbling ur way through it. It took me a significant amount of research and training before I got a successful solve. I only have access to ansys v15 but there was some significant improvement in the later releases.

Iím not sure what a linear structural license cost but I know list price on the top tier non-linear structural license is about 120k.
    yeah it does but you need to use the APDL commands to access some of the functions like you say, problem is most users wont be able to do that and LEAP dont offer training on the old stuff. when they up the workbench functionality to be more similar to the old interface from a function perspective it will be alot better. the old APDL interface is extremely painful
    Last edited by E30is; 02-03-18 at 05:36 PM.
    E30 325is M20 3.1L

I have been putting this job off for like 9 months, reverse engineering an old air motor, this is just the crank but I have to do the whole thing. This is scan and probe data that is then used to make a new model. Same thing I need to do for a SR20 but you know, time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2018-09-13 12.51.55.png 
Views:	21 
Size:	903.4 KB 
ID:	108400

Name:	Screenshot 2018-09-13 12.51.50.png 
Views:	21 
Size:	484.0 KB 
ID:	108401
    3D scanning
    3D modelling
    Structural certification
    3 and 5 axis milling

Not going to knife edge the counterweights or anything?
    #mustmakeitfaster

nah this thing is a 60 year old air motor they use to move converters for copper smelting if the power goes out, straight like for like. If you were going to improve this you would just buy air motors off the shelf and make adapters to suit (my choice would be this)
    3D scanning
    3D modelling
    Structural certification
    3 and 5 axis milling

Purist, whats that? Jason Broadhurst's Avatar
    The fuck are they doing maintaining 60 year old junk?
    Jason Broadhurst

Someone once asked me if they could use my mower. I said "sure, so long as it doesn't leave my yard"

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Broadhurst View Post
    The fuck are they doing maintaining 60 year old junk?
    The whole site is older than that
    3D scanning
    3D modelling
    Structural certification
    3 and 5 axis milling

Is anyone else using OnShape?
    Ive been using it for designing small fab jobs on my car (lower control arms, sump, etc) and im pretty impressed.

I'm sure it doesn't compare to SolidWorks, Catia, etc, but it's free to use (if you dont mind your design being public), and runs in a web browser.
    For the avg DIY fab job stuff like i've been doing, its perfect.

My sump, designed as a solid, converted into sheet metal parts:
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/1b...8617e822021838

Quote Originally Posted by MWP View Post
    Is anyone else using OnShape?
    Ive been using it for designing small fab jobs on my car (lower control arms, sump, etc) and im pretty impressed.

I'm sure it doesn't compare to SolidWorks, Catia, etc, but it's free to use (if you dont mind your design being public), and runs in a web browser.
    For the avg DIY fab job stuff like i've been doing, its perfect.

My sump, designed as a solid, converted into sheet metal parts:
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/1b...8617e822021838
    I tried it once. It locked up almost instantly and then gave up.

Speaking of non SW software, i just purchased 12 months of fusion360 as it ended up being much cheaper than I thought. Itís also buggy but for the price I can live with it. I really only use it for CAM anyway. I hate the assembly constraints in it.
    Last edited by Commotion; 14-09-18 at 05:43 AM.

I have fusion ultimate for like 300 a year as I was in the early adopter program, pretty good for that money.
    3D scanning
    3D modelling
    Structural certification
    3 and 5 axis milling

I never tried onshape but there is some guys from solidworks there. I looked at the prices and seemed expensive for what it was.

It is interesting as from what I have been told 20 years ago solidworks was the low cost disruptor when the go to software was pro engineer.

I don't know what solidworks plan is but it is like they don't care that people pirate the software, only if u use it professionally. Once you are at a level to use it to make money the 15k to buy it becomes a non issue.
    3D scanning
    3D modelling
    Structural certification
    3 and 5 axis milling

It used to be the case but I think they care a lot more about piracy now. Someone I know who has been hassled by them has a theory that there are software piracy bounty hunters who do the not so above board work to find the violaters and hand the info over for Iím assuming a fee. They presented a plethora of information some of which he concluded must have been sourced by some dodgy methods. Itís for that reason I no longer have any dodgy versions of software. Itís just great that autodesk has the fusion360 software free for startups and students. When people ask to learn about cad software by response used to be just download a dodgy copy of solidworks. Now my repose is just sign up for fusion 360. Itís not as good but at least u wonít have to be worrying about getting stung with a big bill for a software license.

Just like all the people running businesses that send me jobs to machine with solidworks files, and they all say "for student use only" or something along those lines across them. Though it would be nice to get decent models for once rather then junk shit by people that have no idea what they are doing

I tried it once. It locked up almost instantly and then gave up.
    Odd. I've used it a bunch, and never has.
    They do substantial updates pretty much every week. Its improving rapidly.

Quote Originally Posted by MWP View Post
    Odd. I've used it a bunch, and never has.
    They do substantial updates pretty much every week. Its improving rapidly.
    It was many years ago in its infancy. Iím sure itís not long that now.

Quote Originally Posted by tc josh View Post
    Just like all the people running businesses that send me jobs to machine with solidworks files, and they all say "for student use only" or something along those lines across them. Though it would be nice to get decent models for once rather then junk shit by people that have no idea what they are doing
    I find the general drafting standard to be quite low in the industry. I count myself lucky I did time at an engineering company with very high standards where I learned a huge amount about drafting standards and styles. Now with our big press we are starting to get drawing for parts to press from some large companies and the standard of drafting is quite ordinary. Looks like they got the grad to do em and didnít bother to check their work.

Poly piping for float cells, all detailed in routing.

Name:	Screenshot 2018-09-16 18.22.08.png 
Views:	18 
Size:	850.3 KB 
ID:	108461

Name:	Screenshot 2018-09-16 18.20.40.png 
Views:	18 
Size:	793.0 KB 
ID:	108462
    3D scanning
    3D modelling