Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Show us your solidworks models

I might make a video to show top down and bottom up modeling an also ways to use a master sketch to control entire assemblies.

Some of the advanced dudes would know this already but it is handy and I have only found out about it from a dude I work with.
    3D scanning
    3D modelling
    Structural certification
    3 and 5 axis milling

Meh
    Hey would any of you CAD gurus be able to knock up a 3D model of an AE-86 clock surround?
    I need one for mine (as do many people) as they break whenever you remove them.

Reality would be a piece of piss but need one to measure or your to supply dimensions
    3D scanning
    3D modelling
    Structural certification
    3 and 5 axis milling

Meh
    Can do!
    (I think ....)

yeah pretty simple, you got my address if you want to send it through i could help ya out.

Meh
    Ta.
    I just have to find a good one now.

Quote Originally Posted by PLAYA View Post
    I might make a video to show top down and bottom up modeling an also ways to use a master sketch to control entire assemblies.

Some of the advanced dudes would know this already but it is handy and I have only found out about it from a dude I work with.
    I spent prob 6-7 years using solidworks and bottom up modelling until i started with my current company. It was a fast learning curve as everything was modelled top down with parts consisting purely of shetches to form the driving geometry. In most projects there are assemblies of these driving geometry parts to form a hierarchy so its kinda like looking at the matrix lol. I also find the modelling approach differs between people so it does take some time if you take over a project somebody else has started.

I have been on an advanced solidworks course and they dont mention using top down modelling the way we do. I think its because most of the large plant design projects are done in ProE which has a "skeleton" part type built into the software and so this modelling approach is copied with the SW projects. Im sure tutorials to explain top down modelling would benefit a lot of people as a lot of the people that we hire who claim to have vast experience with SW have never encountered it before.

When he showed me I was like fuck that is smart but it would be difficult to figure it out yourself, once you are shown and then go from there it is pretty easy.
    3D scanning
    3D modelling
    Structural certification
    3 and 5 axis milling

I drew up a exhaust flange for the M42 extractors for laser cutting in eMachine.com free software. I'd like to redraw it in solidworks. What free version is best? ... Solidworks 2000?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flange.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	62572

I believe you can download free trial although i have not tried this myself: http://www.solidworks.com/sw/purchas...=nw_swx_032012
    If your a student of any kind you can appy to purchase a student edition: http://store.solidworks.com/studentstore/default.php

if you want cheap 3d software you can try Alibre. They use to have a free version that i tried a long time ago but now it appears they only have trial versions.

Blender is free. It's more of a creative 3D package than an engineering package though. ANother one to try for basic geometry, like this flange, would be Autodesk 123D. I've had a bit of a play with it and it looks OK. It will output the file type you need for a laser too.

123D

Blender
    “Buy the ticket, take the ride.’”
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

I had a play with blender many years ago during high school. I don't remember it having the ability to accurately control the size of features like using dimensions in cad packages. It appears incredibly good for creating realistic scenes, my brother in law runs a blender tutorial website and I'm impressed with the stuff he can achieve with the software.

I have a screenshot of a recent design job. Unfortunately all other work is covered by a confidentiality agreement so i cannot show any of that.
    Its not a very complicated model and i already had the supercharger and tensioner modeled but i had to model up the remaining items and produce a set of manufacturing drawings.
    [/URL]

Unregistered User Permit Roadsailing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billzilla View Post
    Hey would any of you CAD gurus be able to knock up a 3D model of an AE-86 clock surround?
    I need one for mine (as do many people) as they break whenever you remove them.

how are you going to make new ones bill? might be easier just to make a mould from a good one, no need for drawings. my cracked clock surround matches the cracked everything else in my car so i;m not too fussed personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Commotion View Post
    I have a screenshot of a recent design job. Unfortunately all other work is covered by a confidentiality agreement so i cannot show any of that.
    Its not a very complicated model and i already had the supercharger and tensioner modeled but i had to model up the remaining items and produce a set of manufacturing drawings.
    [/URL]
    why the fixed idler, not enough belt wrap without it?

Meh
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter S Johnson View Post
    how are you going to make new ones bill?
    My 3D printer.

Forgot about this thread. Posted this somewhere else on PF but it will probably get more views here

*SNIP*

Engine block model I created a few years ago shown below. was accurate enough to take 2mm off the external surfaces with a cnc mill. (few areas required some touch ups after the first attempt.) Managed to get just under 10kg off it in total

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SDC10017 (Large).JPG 
Views:	67 
Size:	352.7 KB 
ID:	64663Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SDC10017mod.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	50.2 KB 
ID:	64664

[/URL]
    Should go like a Bullet!

Meh
    Quote Originally Posted by gmh265 View Post
    Should go like a Bullet!
    Ah!
    Say gidday to Ken for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Billzilla View Post
    Ah!
    Say gidday to Ken for me.
    Hmm, due to his reputation and the inability to detect sarcasm on the Internet I'm not sure if serious or not :s

Hopefully it goes alright, it's for a 350z and the last one I did for robs first drift 350z went well. They have a pretty impressive motor and seemed to hold up well for low boost and sustain high rpm... Ie limiter banging.

Meh
    Hmm, due to his reputation and the inability to detect sarcasm on the Internet I'm not sure if serious or not :s
    Ah a different mob then.
    Ignore.

You are referring to Ken Streeter right? If so and you are unaware of his past rep then never mind, I will say hi for you next time I drop in.

Meh
    Oh okay the same mob then.
    Yes, that Ken.

A slightly interesting side job I'm working on for a previous customer. He has changed his mind a few times but hopefully he sees this through. He managed to get a flat 10 out of his car before the built glide shat itself launching off the transbrake causing the engine to over rev and a nitrous backfire to blow the inlet in half. He tried to sell what was left, gave up and decided to take things to a higher level.

This is what he is after so hopefully in a few weeks i will be sending it over to him. Its planned to have 4 fuel rails and 12 injectors (running on methanol), helped by the combination of L36 inlet manifold and L67 heads.
    The design is based on the last one i did but have removed the intercooler core and lowered the height as much as i could... it may fit under the bonnet.

He is rather excited and sent me a pic of his new turbo he bought:

Its good when you get to see the stuff you design come together:

Have any of you guys done courses for this stuff?
    If so what and where

Wouldn't it be easier to do the runners CNC out of billet?

Nah I just had guys at work show me how to do it, tafe has some and I would start there if you have no one. Like anything you need other people yo show you tricks etc, but the basics will get you started.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    3D scanning
    3D modelling
    Structural certification
    3 and 5 axis milling

Quote Originally Posted by jellis View Post
    Have any of you guys done courses for this stuff?
    If so what and where
    The software distributors/retailers usually run courses on how to use their software. I know PTC(Pre-E/Creo) are doing a big push at the moment to try regain some of the market share back off solidworks and are handing out licences like business cards. I guy I knew approached them to learn the software and they gave him an educational licence and some training on how to use the software for free or at a very low cost.

Quote Originally Posted by ALLMTR View Post
    Wouldn't it be easier to do the runners CNC out of billet?
    Easier? Maybe, but the cost to get that all machined up from billet would make the inlet very expensive. I'm constantly surprised by how much money spend on the dirty old commo v6's but I doubt anybody would pay what it would cost for that. My old boy is supposed to have a CNC lathe and mill arriving soon so I will have to school myself on that which will allow me to experiment with this sort of thing without paying somebody else to do it.
    Last edited by Commotion; 20-05-13 at 08:02 AM.

My old boy is supposed to have a CNC lathe and mill arriving soon so I will have to school myself on that which will allow me to experiment with this sort of thing without paying somebody else to do it.
    I've got about 1400 things I need made if you need to experiment......

So, two questions.

How much would it cost for someone to draw this up for me so someone could machine it up for me?

and how much would a machinist charge me to machine it up in 6061?