Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Show us your solidworks models

Thanks for the info commotion,

Have any recommendation to sites/youtube pages on tutorials at all?
    CISCOKIDS
    The Gentlemen's Club
    Midnight Rocker

Solidworks will have some turorials built into it which you should be able to access from within the software.
    There are some introductory tutorials available on their website but these will likely be the same as the inbuilt ones.
    http://www.solidworks.com/sw/resourc...-tutorials.htm

Intercad do training courses, my previous work place had all the course materials and models from the training courses their employees has gone on and i didnt take any of that with me. Intercad dont publish any soft copy versions of the instructions but if you can find some online that someone may have scanned that would be another good source.

Meh
    Quote Originally Posted by Commotion View Post
    Solidworks will have some turorials built into it which you should be able to access from within the software.
    There are some introductory tutorials available on their website but these will likely be the same as the inbuilt ones.
    http://www.solidworks.com/sw/resourc...-tutorials.htm

Intercad do training courses, my previous work place had all the course materials and models from the training courses their employees has gone on and i didnt take any of that with me. Intercad dont publish any soft copy versions of the instructions but if you can find some online that someone may have scanned that would be another good source.
    Shitload of stuff to be found on Youtube. Certainly enough to get you started I reckon.

Been using youtube ATM even what solidworks publish on youtube. just seeing if there was other options i dont know about. Work was kind enough to give me access to http://www.lynda.com/ and that has a couple solidworks videos on it but it seems to have a lot more Autodesk ones so i might install the program and have a play with it.
    CISCOKIDS
    The Gentlemen's Club
    Midnight Rocker

I've been learning Inventor (first program i tried) on and off for a few weeks now, slowly getting the hang of it. Some things have some oddly obfuscated steps, but once learned are easily repeated.

starting off with simple intake manifolds, wanting to move onto exhaust manifolds... one day would be nice for some semi-accurate car aero stuff, but... baby steps :P

Been trying to teach myself Solidworks for the last two weeks, starting to get a hang of it now. I've been messing around with LS intake manifolds.

You can download a LS3 engine model from grabcad to help you with your inlet manifolds:

https://grabcad.com/library/chevy-ls3-6-2l-1

Its not my work but NCAC have uploaded a new crash test FEA model for LS-DYNA to their library. Its a 2012 camry and its so much more detailed than their previous models.
    I have run some of their previous model on a regular workstation and it solved in a couple hours. I think this one would take days or even weeks on a regular workstation. Since the support and training material is not real flash for DYNA and the software itself is so difficult, dissecting these models and working out how and why they have done things has been a massive help is learning the program. Eventually i want to model up my celica and run crash test simulations in standard configuration as well as replacing oem chassis rails and suspension with tubular members and seeing the impact. This is a long term goal and would eventually flow into doing that sort of work for others, in the hope of running simulations of race chassis' under crash scenarios.

CISCOKIDS
    The Gentlemen's Club
    Midnight Rocker

Unfortunately no CAD models with the LS1. I knew a guy who who had access to GM's detailed CAD model of the LS1 engine due to where he worked. Unfortunately he would not give me a copy due to obvious reasons. He did extract a surface map of the block and exahaust port face for me because of a project i was planning on doing at the time.

This also reminds me i have a CAD model of a CAT C7 industrial engine sitting on my skydrive which i had forgotten about. I had a whole library of CAT and cummins motors at my old work that the dealers gave me. I dont think they are as worried about the models as GM are because these models look like they have either been reverse engineering by drafting companies or they have gone to a lot of effort to defeature as there is minimal to no internal detail.

You think cat gives them out like SEW do because there would be 100s of generator companies that use cat motors to power their products etc.
    3D scanning
    3D modelling
    Structural certification
    3 and 5 axis milling

Quote Originally Posted by Commotion View Post
    You can download a LS3 engine model from grabcad to help you with your inlet manifolds:
    Thanks! You've just made my night.

That needs some decent exhausts lofted up ^^^^
    “Buy the ticket, take the ride.’”
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

I have some of my turbo models on grab cad. Flip the manifolds 180deg and chuck a pair of turbos on it

Having a bit more of a play around, made the manifolds with collectors so I could see the cuts required. It's good because it's shown me that the idea I had in my head was going to put the primaries too close to the leads so I've had to rethink designs.
    Only downside to Solidworks is that its warm in my study and cold out where the welder is, so I haven't actually gotten anything done yet :P

Meh
    Quote Originally Posted by afraid View Post
    Having a bit more of a play around, made the manifolds with collectors so I could see the cuts required. It's good because it's shown me that the idea I had in my head was going to put the primaries too close to the leads so I've had to rethink designs.
    Only downside to Solidworks is that its warm in my study and cold out where the welder is, so I haven't actually gotten anything done yet :P
    Are you using anything to help you learn how to use it?
    Books, Youtube?

Nah, just winging it. I tried using Youtube as a resource but most of it is convoluted and hard to follow.
    So I've just been pressing all of the buttons until I find something that does what I want.

Meh
    Quote Originally Posted by afraid View Post
    Nah, just winging it. I tried using Youtube as a resource but most of it is convoluted and hard to follow.
    So I've just been pressing all of the buttons until I find something that does what I want.
    Well hell, I could do that!

If I could recommend one thing it would be to get used to the 3D sketches and forcing yourself to use guidelines for cuts/extrusions/etc from the get go. I made the mistake of doing everything in 2D and then trying to build stuff on faces. Put me back a day or two.

Registered tax offender SuperDave's Avatar
    Not solidworks, microstation. An old style bufferstop I modelled
    Attachment 76194
    My car
    Corolla
    Quote Originally Posted by brasher View Post
    I'd have no qualm about punting a kid into the fresh produce section if it meant the difference between getting a set of night vision goggles or not.

So I just started to FEA my latest trailer swing arm design, seems to be working pretty good, when I get more of the chassis together I will test it properly but it seems suitably over designed.

Can someone tell me how to work out the force required to make a tyre lose traction, I'm trying to simulate a dual axle trailer being moved in an extreme corner, pretty much turning on its self to see the lateral loads put on the swing arms.
    3D scanning
    3D modelling
    Structural certification
    3 and 5 axis milling

Meh
    Quote Originally Posted by PLAYA View Post
    Can someone tell me how to work out the force required to make a tyre lose traction, I'm trying to simulate a dual axle trailer being moved in an extreme corner, pretty much turning on its self to see the lateral loads put on the swing arms.
    The lateral load on the tyre exceeds the vertical load multiplied by the tyres' coefficient of friction.

I thought you were supposed to be an engineer?
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

If ur being conservative, take a coefficient of 1. I have seen articles which suggest tyre/bitumen friction values of 0.7-0.8.

Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    I thought you were supposed to be an engineer?
    Takes a lot less time to ask someone who knows then to read it your self.
    3D scanning
    3D modelling
    Structural certification
    3 and 5 axis milling

Friction was taught in like 1st year physics dude - how the fuck did you pass?
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

How about you go and suck my dick, it would be far more useful than pretty much your entire existence in this forum. I'll stick to actual doing thing, rather than talking about doing things.
    3D scanning
    3D modelling
    Structural certification
    3 and 5 axis milling

Has anyone used a 3D scanner for any of there items? was thinking about getting an item scanned to save me some time but did not know how far it would be off and so on or if it is even worth it
    CISCOKIDS
    The Gentlemen's Club
    Midnight Rocker

What sort of scan? I just drew a big guard to go over a pinion and spur (2m in diameter) and it was scanned with a point cloud faro machine, works good but would be so shit for anything automotive. Never used smaller equipment to do finer type work.
    3D scanning
    3D modelling
    Structural certification
    3 and 5 axis milling

First thing I've ever had go from CAD to reality. It's a 2mm LS sump plate so that I can shift the reservoir and pick up location for the shit ton of LS swaps I seem to do into cars that shouldn't have LS's.
    Not as impressive as some of the shit you guys have done, but I'm feeling proud as a motherfucker right now.

How about you go and suck my dick, it would be far more useful than pretty much your entire existence in this forum. I'll stick to actual doing thing, rather than talking about doing things.
    How are you going with the worlds most overbuilt trailers?