Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: 13/04/1300 Mazda 626 Turbo

Turns out I broke a rib prior to last time out at the drags, hence the going home in pain after only a couple of runs. Anyhow, it healed a while ago but motivation didn't return until very recently when I realized that there are only 2wks until rego runs out. I don't intend to re-register so I've got to get this thing back to the strip asap. That means fixing the torque steer issue.

Step 1 - Manual steering rack
    Turns out factory manual steering racks are extremely rare. The local wreckers didn't have any so I decided to retrofit a manual rack from another car. Pretty much first car I looked at walking into the local wreckers was a Hyundai Excel with a manual rack. The rack looked similar in shape and size (albeit a bit smaller) and had an extra turn lock to lock. After half an hour looking at other cars the Excel rack still looked like the best option, so I ran with it.

Fitting was reasonably straight forward:

Hyundai Excel manual rack adapter brackets

Adapter bracket assembly (green plates represent firewall)

Cutting

Tacking

Welding

Adapter sleeve on steering shaft (fillet & plug welded)

Opens
    you're a nut job. I might need your skillz sometime soon dude...

yeah bloke, whenever.

anybody keen to buy this thing when i'm done with it? i'm thinking 12s for $1200. excluded from that price would be drag radials, wideband, tuning laptop and boost gauge. could chuck them in for a good price as well. spent literally 100s of hours on this thing and don't want to really see it get wrecked. I can reuse a lot of parts out of it (ecu, turbo, injectors, 3 bar map, etc.), so it aint so bad if it doesn't sell. can never be road registered again obviously - 300kg weight reduction made sure of that.

wow, mind blown....
    now with extra gearbox'y goodness

thanks rx23q

just found enough bits laying around for a DIY dual stage boost controller (2 off needle valve, 1 off 2 pos/3 way vac solenoid, 1 off relay w/ integral fuse). looking at one of my data logs i don't stay on boost when changing into 2nd but i still experience bad torque steer. i think boost might be ramping up too quickly in 2nd gear causing the torque steer? with the dual stage boost controller installed i'll run 12psi until I've changed into second and straightened the car up and then 25+psi for the rest of the track.

also, tomorrow hopefully i'll have some 15x7 inch steelies (for the drag radials on the front) with a much better offset (+35mm versus +5mm).

i'm hoping with the manual rack, less scrub radius & dual stage boost control i'll be able to tame this wild beast

final bit of fab for the project

dual stage boost controller - fab'd where possible to remove the need for expensive brass fittings

uses 2 Festo needle valves (1 $20 new & 1 $7 2nd hand), generic relay & fuse, carby CC Lancer 3 port solenoid valve ($5 from wreckers)

Tricky stuff
    Nice one.

great work

so going to have it ready for this saturday? ill call you tomorrow mate

yeah, keen as for Sat. talk tomorrow then.

moar pics (shitty iphone quality)

forever alone clutch bleed (bung cable tied over master cylinder reservoir and 10psi fed into it). make sure the bung is on very firmly, if it pops off under pressure it creates a brake fluid bomb in the engine bay. skme owino

dual stage boost controller installed

diy toe measurer

toe measurer in service

now please excuse me, I must pray to the old gods and the new for a 12sec pass

Great stuff mate, might come out sat for a look.
    Quote Originally Posted by thebluerx7 View Post
    The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

This thing is kick arse. Well done on the 13.0 last night. God it looks like a handful with the locker..

cheers, you got a great time from your Magna unmod'd

didn't have the best night. lots of mid 13s with a best of 13.0 @ 107. that's only 0.1s & 1mph better than without the welded diff, 5psi less, 4deg timing less. something is restricting power (head, cam?). my biggest issue of the night was not being able to get the thing into second under load. last 5 runs in a row couldn't get the gear change right.

didn't end up using the dual stage boost control because with the manual rack and better offset tyres steering went from impossible to tolerable. if I go out again i'll actually use the dual stage boost controller but it will be so I can actually get it into second gear by making things a bit less exciting during that point of the run.

actually really happy with the car except for the second gear issue (which may just be my shitty driving style). will prob take it out this Saturday for its final runs.

Another day at the drags, another 13.1, bunch of 13.2s and some 13.3s, 13.4s & 13.5s. All at about 110mph. Safe to say it's a low 13sec car but never got into the 12s. Had good fun. Learnt shitloads. Hope others keep on doing the challenge (or derivatives of it) in the years to come. The car will be stripped and scrapped. New challenges await.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	66695
    Last edited by crack; 30-06-13 at 12:57 AM.

It's been a fantastic read, looking forward to your next projects!

This.

Shame we can't group buy this as a long term pf mobile.

Quote Originally Posted by WildZero View Post
    It's been a fantastic read, looking forward to your next projects!
    Quote Originally Posted by thebluerx7 View Post
    The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

These things have horrible heads and cams
    This is about the limit even with alot more work into them, fe3 twin cam engine is the next step
    caprice nugget.

goodnight sweet prince...

awww
    HR31 Coupe - RB20, Bilsteins, Cage and shit
    R31 Ti - Sun Visor, Venetian Blinds, Coilovers, Whiteline Bars, Wog Stance.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Jones View Post
    Farmer its all about how you cut them up, like a dead hooker jigsaw puzzle.

WTF!
    Why dude?

I actually feel a bit sad. Had to happen. Wasn't worth much to anyone but me. All safety features (except brakes) were compromised. Wouldn't feel right selling it and the buyer/others getting injured because of it

edit: ran out of rego and didn't want to renew it as already pay rego on enough cars. don't have a trailer to take it to the drags so it would be stuck at my place unable to be used
    Last edited by crack; 02-07-13 at 06:14 PM.

Gearchange thing would be engine/box mounts IMO

well done regardless, very much in the spirit of this thing
    Quote Originally Posted by 350stato View Post
    100% agree with Shifty

Ok, So I just read this thread from start to finish at work. Was worth it.

First up congrats on a great project and thanks for sharing it with us! well done for the 13.0, sucks the 12 was never there but for a street reg'd car (hehehe) a flat 13 is mighty impressive! would knock alot of supras off their high horse.

I'm amazed are your fab kills crack, I've seriously jealous of them and hate you a little... if you're in the inner west and want some cash let me know.
    All the best with the next project, I'll be keeping my eye out for it.
    why do fish sticks smell like chicken?

Cheers. I was way too much of a pussy to drive this thing on the road (fear of getting defected). The only street driving it did was to and from the drag strip. The last drag day I did was with a Supra and Skyline club and I certainly surprised a few of them (they were on street tyres and I was on drag radials but).

Next project will be a Mirage MR350, which is basically going to be a 1997-2002 Mirage with a 3.5L manual Magna drivetrain in the back of it. Won't be able to start that for a few months yet though. Interestingly it won't be an ICV but a 'modified production vehicle'.

I don't mind doing a few cashies after hours. Can the job come to my shed or do I have to come to the job?

This arrived in the mail today:

Straight to the pool room for it.

oh so sad to see its finished.. I cut 200 kg out of my 100% stock magna it now does a 14.5 @95mph. I race kids on the street in it too. beating SS's and XR8's in a stock magna is the best $300 ive ever spent

PS you probably don't wanna hear this now but I could get you a RWC for the 626

Quote Originally Posted by crack View Post
    Next project will be a Mirage MR350, which is basically going to be a 1997-2002 Mirage with a 3.5L manual Magna drivetrain in the back of it.
    Look forward to this..
    this thread was awesome so the next will no doubt be much betterer

You need to use your (considerable) skills and time on something more worthwhile than 13 for 13 projects.

Great thread, great read, nicely done...!!!