Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 13/04/1300 Mazda 626 Turbo

Towbar steel! Haha

Spent a good part of Saturday trying to find a manual window regulator from Brisbane wreckers (to replace the electric window regulator). Long story short, couldn't find one. I made the decision to gut the front doors and leave two positions - fully up and 3/4 down. Street driving will be with windows 3/4 down in case I get pulled over by the cops. At the strip I'll adjust the windows to fully up.

Progress has been slow but stuff has been happening:

Rear doors gutted. Will retain factory door cards.

Bonnet gutted. It now resembles a giant taco.

Now you're talking! Get that shit outta there!

looking good mate, if you want a hand just give me a text

It's pretty fun this good old weight reduction. I think I'll struggle to get it down to Red Steak racing weight though. Then there's the open diff, and the FWD, and the standard tyres, and the turbo lag, and the manual tranny, and the lack of cc's. Damn, geed myself out a bit. 13s will be a big ask.
    Last edited by crack; 08-07-12 at 07:16 PM. Reason: added more excuses

13's is totally doable.

I managed a 14.8@97mph in one these, full weight, open diff, shitty tyres. All it had was a pod, 15psi, generic chip and 3" exhaust. Stock turbo and I/C.

\/ \/ My motivation \/ \/ ALLMTR's Avatar
    97mph is a 13 with traction

Did you weigh the doors before and after?
    Last edited by ALLMTR; 08-07-12 at 10:40 PM.

Sorry I didn't weight them. I just weighed the front doors before weight reduction though, and once done I'll give you a before and after.

Tim you got to be happy with that time for a few simple mods. Sounds like your TX5 kept many a 6cyl Falcodore honest in its day.

Just wait until you drive it in the wet.

Funniest experience. 4th gear, 80km/h = lane changing wheelspin / torque steer.

haha

the impending exterior lighting and engine loom only rewire (i.e. no more wipers) + the requirement for front window down incase i get pulled over means no wet weather driving... which sounds like a good thing.

last night's handy work. ready for sound deadener removal tomorrow. i'm keen to try out the dry ice method.

lol going to extremes on this one... i want to see the towbar exhaust manifold

whoa

Malakia Industries
    Holy shit man, youre taking this pretty seriously! Love it. I had a non turbo "Eclipse" model (with swinging air con vents!) when I was 17, my best memories were in that car.

Cant wait to see what this runs.

Malakia Industries
    My first double post farken.

Noodle head

Quote Originally Posted by ga70tt View Post
    lol going to extremes on this one... i want to see the towbar exhaust manifold
    not really brah. red steak and the vn turbo from last year copped similar treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by ls400x View Post
    whoa
    yeeaaahhhh

Quote Originally Posted by Terribleone View Post
    Holy shit man, youre taking this pretty seriously! Love it. I had a non turbo "Eclipse" model (with swinging air con vents!) when I was 17, my best memories were in that car.

Cant wait to see what this runs.
    haha, i'm similar in every respect. well, except for when i arse fucked it.

Quote Originally Posted by Side show View Post
    Noodle head
    i miss you too.

all sound deadener removed. cuntofajob. dry ice made it easy but i didn't purchase enough so had to do the front half of the car the old fashioned heat gun and scraper method.

in terms for bang for buck, sound deadener removal has to be towards the back of the list. half a day to remove only 5.5kg to put things into perspective.

not my first choice of things to be stripped naked and laying on my couch. my second choice though!

the FUCK is this shit?! like a 45mm and a 40mm throttle where there should be at least a single 65mm one. will need to think long and hard about what to do with it.

some googling:

I have a Subaru Legacy tt one you can have, it's probably 60mm diameter and very low profile.

Bad luck with the sound deadening, I pulled almost 20kg of it out of my car.

Quote Originally Posted by ls400x View Post
    I have a Subaru Legacy tt one you can have, it's probably 60mm diameter and very low profile.
    thanks for the offer dude. i got an old Ecotec one lying around that i'll put to use if any modification goes ahead

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Black View Post
    Bad luck with the sound deadening, I pulled almost 20kg of it out of my car.
    i guess that depends on what you count as sound deadener. i'm only counting the tar like substance; there would be approx. 5kg of matting type sound deadener that i removed too (stuck to the underside of the carpet). what car you talking about for interest's sake?

Quote Originally Posted by crack View Post
    i guess that depends on what you count as sound deadener. i'm only counting the tar like substance; there would be approx. 5kg of matting type sound deadener that i removed too (stuck to the underside of the carpet). what car you talking about for interest's sake?
    This car, 2 seater Z32:

http://performanceforums.com/forums/...-Track-Project

My sound deadener looked pretty much identical to what you've got in your box except I filled up a whole vacuum cleaner box with it.

When you said you were going to get dry ice I almost posted a message saying to get lots of it as I ran out towards the end too, sorry I didn't.

Awesome. have been watching this. Have an aunty who loves the 80's mazderattis and to their credit, they had 4 that just didn't die.

This looked almost dailyable until pulled apart. So fuck yeh, keep it up!

Quote Originally Posted by darwinschops View Post
    Awesome. have been watching this. Have an aunty who loves the 80's mazderattis and to their credit, they had 4 that just didn't die.

This looked almost dailyable until pulled apart. So fuck yeh, keep it up!
    they didn't die but they had 4 of them? does not compute.

lol, i did daily drive this thing... for one day. got it rego'd on a Thurs afternoon, drove it to work and back in Fri peak hour hell & started dismantling it Fri night. it was pretty enjoyable compared to what i usually daily.

prob a bit too much effort for this challenge but i have spent nights so far this week making some new wiring diagrams for the car. i am only using a small percentage of the circuits in the car and the factory wiring of the circuits i am using is all over the place, so i have simplified it. 1 diagram for power distribution and engine harness, 1 diagram for instrument cluster and 1 diagram for external lighting will cover every wire in the car. i'll make a start on it this weekend and hope for just under two week turn around. car now has only 3 relays, 5 fusible links and 8 fuses. factory relay & fusible link holder will be reused & factory wiring and plugs will be recycled. i didn't want to reuse the massively bulky factory fuse holder so i have come up with a very much 13-4-1300 spec fuse holder idea.

lol thats taking this to a whole new level... rewiring to remove weight lol

Hardcore.

some better tyres would probably make all that back!
    now with extra gearbox'y goodness

Quote Originally Posted by crack View Post
    they didn't die but they had 4 of them? does not compute.

lol, i did daily drive this thing... for one day. got it rego'd on a Thurs afternoon, drove it to work and back in Fri peak hour hell & started dismantling it Fri night. it was pretty enjoyable compared to what i usually daily.
    It was 3 now I think about it. One got wrecked, one was pretty decayed in the interior (sun all day) so got turned into a thrasher for us and they bought one last second hand to because they loved the unkillability of it. Still have it I think.

I think I'd rather daily most others in your list though...

ok, most of the hardware is now purchased. i'll stick costs up in the first post and keep it updated. most of the remaining budget may need to be spent on a new clutch, but i'll wait for the current one to start slipping before i think about it.

it's funny, i bought the turbo mazda to utilise its turbo hardware but so far i've planned to change engine management, engine load sensor (MAF to MAP), fuel injectors, fuel pump, turbo, intercooler and exhaust system (i.e. i haven't utilised any of the original turbo bits). all i really got out of it was a strong gear box and a boost friendly 7.8:1 compression ratio.