Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 13/04/1300 Mazda 626 Turbo

And turbo decal on the hatch

Malakia Industries
    Which will probably be stripped off for weight saving?

It will be stripped off, but for sleeper reasons only.

hasn't been too much progress of late. actually, depending how you look at it i may have gone backwards. car has got no interior, wiring or driveline in it; just a shell on wheels. new wiring hasn't started yet and no driveline mods have either. wanted to push the limits of the factory turbo but have ran out of time if this challenge finishes end of next month. actually have prob ran out of time regardless but will still aim to finish the project as soon as possible. attached are some pics of the driveline removal. definitely not as quick or easy as removing a rwd driveline.

also attached is a pic of the engine with hotside removed and a pic looking into the collector of the factory turbo manifold. need to figure out how to adapt the rx7 turbo to it.

nash
    Hey, crack. You still have your 1j commodore? Bring it this Friday night hinterland run. All the cool kids will be there.

1jz ute is rotting in the long grass out back of my rental

keen to go though, so will bring my other ute

nash
    Damn what happened to it?

wanted to do an engine conversion and that ute body and a 1jz r154 front cut happened to be the two things i had easy access to at the time. i actually have no interst in driving a 1jz commodore ute but don't want to make a 'big' loss selling it second hand, so it is sitting in my backyard depreciating for a while. first world problems!

nash
    Ah I see. Looked like a very tidy install though. See ya Friday.

big thanks to the boys at NPC clutch who gave me a good price on a clutch upgrade for this project:
    original pressure plate clamp pressure increased 40%
    original driven plate converted from organic to brass button

it would be silly not to do it while the engine is out and i had always allowed budget for it

still so much to do can't even see the light at the end of the tunnel yet

hey man if you need a hand send me a pm I will head down and give you a hand

thanks for the offer. only really work on my cars myself so i've got no one else to blame when things go pear shaped.

half of the weekend spent trying to sort out a ruptured hot water system with a tight arse (fair enough) Asian landlord who barely speaks english and a plumber who isolated most of the house and garage elec to perform his lengthy repair (once again, fair enough... getting electricuted aint worth it).

went out to Ipswich to pick up a second Soarer intercooler and piping for $10.50. now i got to figure out a way to join them together.

roof & gutter and duct tape...

good for 0.1psi pressure rating, which won't be a problem as this laggy ass turbo won't make boost till the finish line anyway

alright, finally got some exhaust bits. $40 worth of old 3" exhaust. items of interest were the 3" flex joint and the rear muffler; the bends and straight that i was able to salvage out of a mountain of mig weld were a bonus. looks like i'll have enough to get to the rear of the car.

also, doesn't look like i'll be able to fit the new turbo between the engine and the factory fan so i got a second hand 14" thermofan for $30

first post updated...

Last edited by crack; 14-09-12 at 11:54 PM.

just tested factory BOV to 40psi with no leaks! will put it back into service instead of using an old 1jz BOV i had laying around.

in other news used $20 worth of plate - $5 on intercooler and $15 on fuel tank
    also, tore a long section of 2.25" tubing off my rental's work bench but decided to go with 2.5" tube for intercooler plumbing. that cost $30 plus 2 x $10 silicon bends to go with the 2 x rubber bends that i got for free with the intercooler.

will finally have time next week to start the car rewire.

13 4 1300 spec injector flow and spray pattern check. what i'm looking for is consistant size and shape of wet patch on the roof of the shed.

old mate kevo from across the fence decided to drop by during the test and thinking i was tweaking my garden sprinkler he didn't worry about putting his ciggie out upon entering the shed. lives were nearly lost.

Keep it coming. Looking good.

That flowbench has to be among the top 10 of tools used for 13s for 1300!
    DJ's don't need sigs

ready for car rewire. stuff in photo mounted onto a 'now open' sign that i found in a small business' trash

from left: fusible link block, fuse block, relay block, ecu

VH-sle on photobucket feel free to trawll through my 1000s of pics, you may just find one with the rx7 turbo on a manifold. i just had a 8mm flange cut and welded directly square to the manifold
    infact

Last edited by E-Z; 24-09-12 at 11:13 AM.

this is way too good for a 13's car!
    Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

Quote Originally Posted by seedyrom
    my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

Did you paint the floor? It looks so clean. How much dash board do you plan to put back in?

Quote Originally Posted by ls400x View Post
    Did you paint the floor? It looks so clean. How much dash board do you plan to put back in?
    Yeah, a quick coat of grey spray paint where factory paint was removed due to sound deadening removal.

Dash (and the rest of interior) will be reinstalled ot the point that it looks factory once the wiring is done.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    this is way too good for a 13's car!
    I wasn't sure how far I would take this car after the challenge so I tried to do things 'right' the first time. Now that I've nearly finished the build I realise that the chassis is massive and if i was to take things seriously I would be silly not to put the driveline in a smaller car. Then comes the issue with gearbox weakness and rarity. That could be solved with a Toyota gearbox but then I may as well use the Toyota engine that comes with the gearbox. That would mean none of the Mazda 626 would remain! Bah, I'm just finishing this thing as best and as quickly as I can so I can get some good racing in before the year is out.

Quote Originally Posted by E-Z View Post
    VH-sle on photobucket feel free to trawll through my 1000s of pics, you may just find one with the rx7 turbo on a manifold. i just had a 8mm flange cut and welded directly square to the manifold
    Thanks for the photos. Found your photobucket account. Looks like you upgraded intercooler first and then turbo. Suprised you were able to fit the turbo by welding a flange onto the underside of the factory manifold. I wasn't so lucky. Did you end up keeping a/c?

one more night left on the body loom before i start on the engine loom. after tomorrow night i'll be at the half way mark.

no ac, thats why i sold the car, only way i could fit it all and with the thermo on the front, 600x300 cooler fits easy enough

was hoping to have this thing ready for first start this long weekend but it will have to wait until next weekend because i've been feeling pretty average.

wiring 95% done. i'll wrap it during the week so it looks the goods. yeah, there is a red battery cable where there should be a black one and vice versa; gotta make do with the lengths that i got cause i didn't want to buy new battery cable.

very much looking forward to a summer of racing this thing. shakedown run before the 17th of this month. i should make that deadline easy unless something completely unforeseen happens.

Last edited by crack; 01-10-12 at 11:15 PM.

ok, last of the wiring done tonight and i saved the best to last

the joint in the attached pic is all business...
    (black heat shrinked joint at the bottom)

cables coming from top down:
    ● 1 off core from a 6x core shielded data cable
    ● shield sheath unravelled from a 6x core shielded data cable and strands bought together to form a 'cable' for the joint
    (both the cables above were housed in red heat shrink, which is the left of the two red heat shrinked cables in the joint in the pic)
    ● 2 off 0.85mm^2 ECU ground cables
    ● shield sheath unravelled from a 4x 0.85mm^2 core shielded cable and strands brought together to form a 'cable' for the joint
    (the cable above was housed in red heat shrink, which is the right of the two red heat shrinked cables in the joint in the pic)

cables coming from bottom up:
    ● 1 off 2mm^2 ground
    ● 1 off 1.25mm^2 ground
    ● 1 off 0.85mm^2 ground

in situ:
    ● cables from top overlapped approx. 8mm with cables from bottom
    ● approx. 6mm deep crimp connector applied
    ● joint soldered and heat shrinked
    ● back broken from sitting curled up for an hour

\/ \/ My motivation \/ \/ ALLMTR's Avatar
    Looking (too) good
    1jz Rolla Van ....... 10.5 at 134mph

"Reacher figured if he could put that drivetrain in some battered old sedan body, then that would be his kind of car"

^^ this lol

tip of the iceberg