Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: 13/04/1300 Mazda 626 Turbo

i dunno man, you could borrow tims and try it out. the n13 one is the same too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skompa View Post
    The throttle linkages jammed on the CDs in my old Triumph 2000 and stuck it at WOT.

I didn't realise for about 15 mins as it never broke the speed limit.

well the dizzy trigger wheel now only has 4 teeth. there is a pin that i needed to remove to get the shaft out. tap it out with a hammer i thought. nah, turns out i needed to fab up a mini dizzy stand & a couple of different length mini punches and use a 20t press to get the bloody pin out.

i only got $18.50 build money left and i can't see a wreckers selling me an ignition module for under $20 so i might end up having to use the $10 circuit. BUT, the chance to potentially start this sucker up tomorrow is too nearly too good to refuse. hmmm... i'll have to sleep on it.

If I can track down where my N13 ignition modules are in the shed id be happy to donate one for free for this epic build

Sent from my SGH-I927 using Tapatalk 2

i can turn a blind eye, im sure others could

Opens
    steal it from the wreckers or come borrow mine.

Opens
    do you have your laptop talking to the e6k? i need to extract my map out of mine, it might be easier for me to borrow yours for 10mins instead of me building a virtual-pc with dos on it. I can drop that module over if that suits? Are you around tomoorow?
    Last edited by tim510; 12-10-17 at 09:04 PM.

there are 2 JB camiras and a 1.5 daewoo rotting in my paddock, what module do you need?
    E36 M3 12.92 @ 108.64mph, N/A 3.0L

Well, got this thing started today.

Sunday picked up an '8 pin' GM HEI module out of a N13 pulsar dizzy (thanks for all the offers guys). Bench tested the HEI module and it worked like a charm. Took the Haltech E6K out of the car and wired it up to the module and tried to get the ecu to recognise it. No love.

In desparation I called an fellow PF member who very generously lent me his E6K.

Well today I had the day off work so I started putting the spare ecu in the car and feeding it the raw reluctor signal. It worked perfectly first time. Fuck, that means my ecu is faulty. Alas, you don't learn stuff if everything goes to plan. I now know a little about electronics, have the ability to make my own PCB boards and can use an oscilloscope - all of which came about because of the ecu fault.

Anyhow, time to get the thing started (on borrowed ecu). Throttle position sensor calibration - done. MAP, IAC & ECT sensors values - all look OK. Turn the fuel system off and check timing with the timing light. Timing light shows no flashes. Only used timing light recently so did not suspect a problem with it. Traced out all ignition related wiring and it all checks out. Get ready to step it up a notch and start probing wires but had a moment of sanity and decided to actually remove the lead to the dizzy and put it close by the block to do a visual spark check. Whatdoyouknow, there is spark. Quick trip to autosuperco and I have a new timing light.

Ok, lets try that again... check timing with the timing light - it's out by 20deg. Ah shit, I realised where I stuffed up my measurements the other night when i modded the trigger wheel from 24 teeth to 4 teeth. The 'trigger edge' (point at which tooth associated with cylinder 1 passes the reluctor sensor) window that the E6K allows is from 60-100deg BTDC. My measurements were supposed to result in a trigger edge of 80deg. After adjusting the base timing in the software I ended up with a trigger edge dead on 100. Lucky I guess, but also fucken pissed - stuffing up critical measurements like that is unacceptable soldier.

Battery voltage starting to get low; time to rip out the battery charger. Wtf? It's fucked too. God damn. Research the latest hotness in battery chargers to suit different battery types, abiltity to trickle charge, etc., etc.. End up just going to autosuperco and getting whatever. Arse is now seriously sore.

Back home now, open up redtubattery on charge. Fuck it, go for first start! Turn fuel system back on. Turn key - nothing. Well a few random combustion events. Ok, let the fuel system trouble shooting begin. Straight off with the return line into a bucket. Run the pump and nothing out of the line, yet the pump is running flat out. Oh shit! I got the polarity wrong. The fuel pump has been spinning in the opposite direction for ages and is probably fucked... is what I first thought. Out with the fuel pump. The small section of rubber hose between the fuel pump and the discharge line in its holding bracket is completely disintegrated. Didn't use fuel proof hose, whoops (the rubber hose I used externally did look exactly like fuel hose though). Put a new section of hose in and compressed air blow down pump and bracket to remove disintegrated old hose bits and pieces. Go to drop the pump assembly back in the tank and notice bits and pieces of hose throughout the fuel. Tank off, dirty petrol tipped out, tank rinsed out with clean petrol, tank reinstalled, pump assembly reinstalled. Good to go?

Yeah, turn the key and it fires to life. Tiny bit of throttle required to keep it idling. The idle adjustment screw will take care of that. Go to adjust the screw but it is missing. Search everywhere but can't find it. Bah! What a shitty day riddled with first world problems. At least wiring was 100%. I'm going to have the rest of the week off.
    Last edited by crack; 01-11-12 at 05:11 PM.

Most EFI fuel hose is not suitable for running submersed in fuel.
    The Outer layer is not rated for it. You need 30R10 rated hose.
    http://www.gates.com/australia/broch...ation_id=11312

Opens
    sucks about the ECU mate.

Quote Originally Posted by tanman View Post
    Most EFI fuel hose is not suitable for running submersed in fuel.
    The Outer layer is not rated for it. You need 30R10 rated hose.
    http://www.gates.com/australia/broch...ation_id=11312
    hmm... i wonder what i used when jerry rigging an aeromotive pump into my old crab box vs? I'm sure it would of been some rubbish I found lying around. I definitely didn't order anything fancy. Oh well at least it lasted 6 months of commuting to and from work before going to the wreckers to die.

Glad you got it going, some form of relief i guess. Lucky there are generous people on this forum.

thanks tanman, will fix that asap.

just had a look on the Haltech forums. they will not repair the e6k's anymore. looks like i'm in the market for a cheap ecu again.

didn't see that thread.

having now read it i wonder if i have to get a reluctor chip installed in mine as per Ben Wilson's post? i'll give Haltech a call tomorrow.

Funny as shit!

Now, have you stopped eating yet? That could save you, oh, 100g or so...

haha, yeah. not much weight to lose on my end.

car ready for tuning!!! starts and cruises on base map! drag radials on order. old falcon rims with hideously low offset in my possession (may or may not be a good thing during torque steer; only one way to find out)

i present to you, Burgess the Barge Arse:

Mate, fucking love it well done
    Quote Originally Posted by thebluerx7 View Post
    The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

good work!!
    Quote Originally Posted by 50RTD View Post
    Dave, have you uploaded the data from the carby?

Suspension is sitting high, that's a good sign

That's come up a treat man, well done!
    HR31 Coupe - RB20, Bilsteins, Cage and shit
    R31 Ti - Sun Visor, Venetian Blinds, Coilovers, Whiteline Bars, Wog Stance.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Jones View Post
    Farmer its all about how you cut them up, like a dead hooker jigsaw puzzle.

^. Looks great.

haha top stuff!
    When are you putting it down off the jack stands?
    Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

Quote Originally Posted by seedyrom
    my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

would be good to get it a bit lower but the springs have a taper so i'm afraid cutting out a coil would result in them not seating properly. oxy'ing them would work but i don't have an oxy.

besides, at the strip the rear spring lockouts will keep the back end at max extension and i don't want the front end too low because the near zero offset rims and 245 drag radials stick well out past the guards.

will be interesting to see if the rear spring lockouts make any improvement. installation at the strip will be as easy as jacking up the car, slotting in the lockout plates (2 plates per side) and bolting them in place (1 bolt per side).

VS

BTW Awesome work!

should really bring this round so i can laugh at it and admire it in the same breath...

Quote Originally Posted by menace View Post
    [IMG]http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee289/c_r_a_c_k/62613.jpg[/IMG

VS

[IMG]http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee289/c_r_a_c_k/IMG_3274.jpg[/IMG

BTW Awesome work!
    indeed it has shot up a fair amount. kind of looks a bit silly now.

Quote Originally Posted by ga70tt View Post
    should really bring this round so i can laugh at it and admire it in the same breath...
    no worries. once she's tuned i'll bring her around.

speaking of tuning, meant to start yesterday but was raining the whole day.

just took it out for a 30min spin. it starts and cruises just fine. power steering rack w/o pump is much easier to use than i anticipated. no front and rear sway bars coupled with higher centre of gravity also nowhere near as bad as i anticipated. it always helps to think the worst.

i made a 'E6K log analysis' excel sheet to take the raw data from the E6K logs and make it a bit more user friendly. had to use some macros in the excel sheet and i suck at macros so it took me a couple nights to make. tested it out on the drive and it works well enough that i'll stick with it. basically with the click of a button the excel sheet imports, delineates, tabulates and graphs the log raw data as well as highlights (in blue) were the cursor is on the table and graphs.

lol! check out the ignition timing in the logs. i spent the 30min drive with timing locked at 10deg BTDC but was only looking at fuelling so i missed it. wat a noob.

So you'll make it to wed TnT?

it's only got a 5psi tune. need to work it up to 15psi before i head to Willowbank. probably will aim for it though.
    Last edited by crack; 11-11-12 at 08:55 PM.

I'll come down to cheer ya on/ point at things! Good work mate!

won't be much chop first couple times out. if you see me out there come and say high.