Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 42

Thread: MY12 Mitsubishi Challenger 4X4 2.5L DI-D

  1. #1
    Opens
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    One street away from Guido's den of sin
    Posts
    24,156

    MY12 Mitsubishi Challenger 4X4 2.5L DI-D

    So I've been recently been looking around at replacing our 2010 Lancer with a larger vehicle, meeting the following criteria:

    - Less than 3 years old (or at least 12 months factory warranty remaining)
    - Unobtrusive baby seat attachments
    - 4wd / AWD with ability to be driven up the beach unassisted
    - Tow 1700kg+
    - spacious interior, able to fold or remove seats for decent cargo haulage
    - Around 35k or less

    (decided now was the time as registration, service and tyres were due on the Lancer)

    Based on above we came up with the following shortlist:

    2007-2008 Lexus RX350 V6 petrol AWD

    After looking at 3 examples I wasn't happy with how they have aged - Interiors were all fantastic but exterior plastics on all 3 cars were fairly aged. Also no factory warranty we decided to give this a miss.

    2011-2012 Holden Series II Captiva 5 Turbo Diesel AWD
    2011-2012 Holden Series II Captiva 7 Turbo Diesel AWD


    Test drove a new 5 & 7 and almost left a deposit on a 7 - drive fantastically and offer great value for money (especially Captiva 5) but couldn't quite get the trade we were after and vehicle itself (AWD Captiva 7 Turbo Diesel) was slightly out of our price range ($40,500 changeover).... the search continued.

    2011-2012 Kia Sorento Turbo Diesel AWD

    Next we had a look at Kia Sorento's, ended up receiving very good price from a family friend of $36,396 driveaway for a new 2012 6-speed manual 2.2L CRDi AWD. Wanting to see how they aged i inspected a couple of 2 year old examples i wasn't particularly happy with how the exterior plastics had aged so was also struck off the list (as resale on a Kia was certainly at the forefront of my mind).

    2009-2012 Mitsubishi Challenger Turbo Diesel 4WD

    Then we decided to look at Challengers, having owned the previous model (2001 V6 petrol LS) prior to the lancer and being very happy with it we went and looked at a few and decided this was the car for us (as it satisfied every requirement we had and more).

    Best deal we came up with was a 80000km 2008 model with around 14 months warrantly left - $36,000 changeover with 6 months registration, the deal was all but done.

    But prior to signing we decided to go back to the family friend (that had obtained us the price on the Kia Sorrento) and ask if they had any Challenger trades in any of their yards.

    No trades were around but we were offered a brand new 2012 model (still on the boat) for less than $500 more than the 2008 we were just about to commit to - we didn't stuff around and left a deposit there and then (about 10k off RRP).

    Fast forward 3 weeks and here she is:



    Being a 2012 it has received the upgraded 3 Tonne tow capacity and revised sound insulation (apparently quite the upgrade over the 2011 model) along with the following:

    2.5L common rail diesel with variable geometry turbocharger (131kw / 400NM)
    Super Select 4WD (2WD High, 4WD High, 4WD High Locked centre, 4WD Low locked centre)
    Multi Mode ABS
    Electronic Brakeforce Distribution
    Active Traction Control
    Active Stability Control

    And being first owners not only do we receive capped price servicing and the full 5 year warranty but also the 10 year powertrain warranty.

    Few vids of how they go offroad:






    Already clocked up almost 500km since Friday, loving it

  2. #2
    Formerly a stupid_cunt fly510's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    5,597
    Good choice Jon. We had a similar thought process but ended doing it the other way round as we were originally looking at the challenger but ended up with a TD captiva 7 due to the fleet discount available.

    That thing should give you years of trouble free family motoring.
    RB26......................Again

  3. #3
    Registered User Potsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Shiteney
    Posts
    2,879
    Are these things still a full separate chassis ?

  4. #4
    Fondles
    Guest
    The old Wanker Sport is pretty popular here, engine wise they certainly like to rattle and reminds me of an old fergie tractor.
    Seem to be reliable though, few guys at work have them and have done over 200k km in under 3 yrs in them.

  5. #5
    Opens Paydirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Ipswich
    Posts
    3,004
    Yep full chassis. Do the base models get the rear diff lock?

    If we upgrade then we would look at the Challenger or another Pathfinder. The only thing the that really annoys me about the Challenger is the baby seat anchor points are in the roof. Kinda suck with 3 kids and heading away on holidays trying to pack out the back.
    The customer.

  6. #6
    Opens
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    One street away from Guido's den of sin
    Posts
    24,156
    Rear diff lock is an option, we didn't get it.

    Jury is out if it's actually worth it as once the diff lock is activated the active traction control switches off so the front end will single spin.

    Active traction control will limit both front and rear wheel spin when activated, which is more than we'll ever need.

  7. #7
    Registered User Rz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Posts
    5,244
    its new car city on pf atm, time of year ?
    picked up a new fj cruiser on fri. loving it.

  8. #8
    Interested bystander
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    778
    If it is anything like the Pajero it is not hard to make the Traction control operate with the factory rear diff lock. TC + RDL can certainly get to the edge of the comfort zone if you are that way inclined.

  9. #9
    Fondles
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by elfturbomax View Post
    If it is anything like the Pajero it is not hard to make the Traction control operate with the factory rear diff lock. TC + RDL can certainly get to the edge of the comfort zone if you are that way inclined.
    Its more like a Triton than Pajero.

  10. #10
    Opens
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    One street away from Guido's den of sin
    Posts
    24,156
    And just for old times sake - the old girl.



    Also seems strange to upgrade from a Lancer to a 2.7T pedestrian killer and return similar if not better fuel economy - not that i'm complaining

  11. #11
    Interested bystander
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    778
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Munster View Post
    Its more like a Triton than Pajero.
    Yeh, but the transfer case is Pajero (with 4H constant) and I would guess so is the ASTC. I was considering one but wanted something a bit smaller so went for a v6 Outlander instead. The Outlander is nice, plenty of low end roll-on power but I would have preferred oversteer to torque steer.

  12. #12
    Opens chino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,262
    Nice choice there. Can't tell if you have the 16" or 17" wheels, but I flicked those terrible Bridgestone HT's for a set of 265/65/17 BFG ATR's on my Triton and I don't even use 4wd high for most of my beach work now... previously it was 4 High LC and loads of throttle.


    Quote Originally Posted by elfturbomax View Post
    Yeh, but the transfer case is Pajero (with 4H constant) and I would guess so is the ASTC. I was considering one but wanted something a bit smaller so went for a v6 Outlander instead. The Outlander is nice, plenty of low end roll-on power but I would have preferred oversteer to torque steer.
    I thought 2008 on Triton's had the same transfer as the Pajero?
    Last edited by chino; 12-06-12 at 02:34 AM.

  13. #13
    Opens
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    One street away from Guido's den of sin
    Posts
    24,156
    Quote Originally Posted by chino View Post
    Nice choice there. Can't tell if you have the 16" or 17" wheels, but I flicked those terrible Bridgestone HT's for a set of 265/65/17 BFG ATR's on my Triton and I don't even use 4wd high for most of my beach work now... previously it was 4 High LC and loads of throttle.
    16" wheels on this one.

    Very much doubt that this will see too much off pavement work for a while but will certainly looking at better tyres next time around.

    Can you recall if the ATR's were much louder than the Standard tyres on your Triton?

  14. #14
    Interested bystander
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    778
    Quote Originally Posted by chino View Post
    ...

    I thought 2008 on Triton's had the same transfer as the Pajero?
    Challengers and Triton GLX-R's get the Super-Select transfer as in Pajero's, all other Tritons get the basic transfer case.

  15. #15
    no one ever, is to blame Howard Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    brisbane
    Posts
    2,525
    i have this exact same car, except over here they come factory with rear diff lock, and mine came factory with diferent rims

    can confirm is pretty epic offroad.

  16. #16
    Opens chino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,262
    Quote Originally Posted by psi999 View Post
    Can you recall if the ATR's were much louder than the Standard tyres on your Triton?
    There is a noticeable whirring over the standard tyres... nothing worse than expected though. Tyre wear is better through.

  17. #17
    Registered User irsa76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Queanbeyan
    Posts
    7,739
    These are back on our radar to replace the Rav in the next year or so, after I said I won't replace it until it falls apart. Only concern is the boot floor height might be abit much for the dog, he hurt himself on the weekend and needed help out of the Rav. Abit of bugger when he's 70+kg!

  18. #18
    ARE YOU REAAAAADY? Grunt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    SYDNEY
    Posts
    3,645
    nice truck - the old boy has the triton in the same model and has spent a fair dollar on it. He went to one post 100 series cruiser and loves it.

    He did a tonne of research, and a fair amount of dev, on getting his right. He ended up with a mix of Old Man Emu and Bilstien stuff i think, Goodyears, a chipit programmable plug and play and a whole bunch of other shit that if you are interested I could get him to list it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by doods189
    Will throw in around $3000 worth of reptiles and acc as part payment and maybe if partner let's me a 50in plasma 3d tv

  19. #19
    Opens
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    One street away from Guido's den of sin
    Posts
    24,156
    Interested in the chip, not sure if i'll go that way but good to have tried and proven modification path.

    Would be good to hear what he has also done as well setting the rest of the car up.

    Cheers!

  20. #20
    Opens
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    One street away from Guido's den of sin
    Posts
    24,156
    So in the last week i've fitted the Mitsubishi factory floor mat kit ($94), full tint at T20 ($240) and steering wheel stereo controls ($104) from the upper model (as my nopics missed this from the lancer)

    Tint:



    Stereo controls & installation.











    Controls are actually listed as a Mitsubishi Lancer part but took a punt that they would be the same (and that the wheel would be pre-wired for it) - 2 minute installation job.
    Last edited by psi999; 23-06-12 at 04:03 PM.

  21. #21
    no one ever, is to blame Howard Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    brisbane
    Posts
    2,525
    you'rs is diferent that mine ... i'll snap some photos and post if your intersted

    mine has slighty diferent interior, diferent wheels, and a few other minor diferences

  22. #22
    Registered User Teamgemini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    440
    How are you finding it? Just put a deposit on an LS manual in the same colour this afternoon.

  23. #23
    Opens
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    One street away from Guido's den of sin
    Posts
    24,156
    Couple of weeks in and still loving it.

    Last two tanks have just nudged over 700km (~63L fill) - very happy considering this car has yet to see any real HWY km's (train station, shops, lead-foot nopics).

    If I can pry, what sort of deal did you do? - We were offered a new white MY12 LS manual driveaway for $41,440 - no options or accessories +$2500 for an auto... how did you fare?

    Nash - post up some pics for sure.

  24. #24
    Opens
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    One street away from Guido's den of sin
    Posts
    24,156
    This guy might have a few run in tips for your new Challenger Teamgemini



    Watch from ~5mins onwards.

  25. #25
    Registered User Teamgemini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    440
    Quote Originally Posted by psi999 View Post
    Couple of weeks in and still loving it.

    Last two tanks have just nudged over 700km (~63L fill) - very happy considering this car has yet to see any real HWY km's (train station, shops, lead-foot nopics).

    If I can pry, what sort of deal did you do? - We were offered a new white MY12 LS manual driveaway for $41,440 - no options or accessories +$2500 for an auto... how did you fare?

    Nash - post up some pics for sure.
    44k drive away with tow kit, over priced tint and other crap I didn't really want. She had good boobs...Not sure what others are paying but seems ok. Need a car quick so couldn't really be stuffed shopping 50 dealers around.

    Thats good mileage, looking forward to not having to drive this FWD shitbox Kluger ever again.

  26. #26
    no one ever, is to blame Howard Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    brisbane
    Posts
    2,525
    differences i notice

    1, different rims
    2, mine has tv (good) but lame fake wood interior (bad)
    3, even tho the steering wheel is on the other side, the shifter and low range selector is on the same side as yours (this would be annoying because the low range selector tends to spend all day rattling
    4, mine has rear spoiler and roof racks, however i think yours looks better without them, so i might see if i can remove mine this weekend
    5, mine has chrome mirrors, but once again i prefer your black ones so might see if i can get non chrome ones next time im in OZ

    can confirm these things are epic off road, even in 100% stock trim/tires, i would have no hesitation in doing any offroading as long as you had the ground clearance, i went out with some hardcore off road guys here and they were amazed the car could do everything their modified rigs could, key is momentum, and using the power of the car (i.e. keep it fucking moving fast)

    all in all im very happy with the car, its a great daily driver, its easy to drive and happy to sit in stand still traffic for hours, has tons of power, and will go pretty much anywhere off road. i dont know why these things are not more popular in Australia, they seem to be very reasonably priced, both here and there (i think mine was equivalent of 42k aussie on road and insured)







    and some off roading



    sucks to be a pushbike rider

  27. #27
    Opens
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    One street away from Guido's den of sin
    Posts
    24,156
    Quote Originally Posted by nash View Post
    differences i notice

    1, different rims
    2, mine has tv (good) but lame fake wood interior (bad)
    3, even tho the steering wheel is on the other side, the shifter and low range selector is on the same side as yours (this would be annoying because the low range selector tends to spend all day rattling
    4, mine has rear spoiler and roof racks, however i think yours looks better without them, so i might see if i can remove mine this weekend
    5, mine has chrome mirrors, but once again i prefer your black ones so might see if i can get non chrome ones next time im in OZ

    can confirm these things are epic off road, even in 100% stock trim/tires, i would have no hesitation in doing any offroading as long as you had the ground clearance, i went out with some hardcore off road guys here and they were amazed the car could do everything their modified rigs could, key is momentum, and using the power of the car (i.e. keep it fucking moving fast)

    all in all im very happy with the car, its a great daily driver, its easy to drive and happy to sit in stand still traffic for hours, has tons of power, and will go pretty much anywhere off road. i dont know why these things are not more popular in Australia, they seem to be very reasonably priced, both here and there (i think mine was equivalent of 42k aussie on road and insured)
    Nice, looks like yours has bits and pieces of all 3 aussie specs (4X4, LS and XLS).

    And also cant figure out how they aren't way more popular - all the goodies in a very capable, well sized (ie, not freaking massive), comfortable well priced rig. Only thing i can think of is back in the mid 90's the previous version came with a leaf sprung rear and drove like arse.

    Even though leaves were swapped for coils in 2001 onwards models (of which my last challenger was) the bad rep remained for the entire 'PA' production run.

    Only reason we sold the old one was age - still drove perfectly (inc epic RWD beach skids).
    Last edited by psi999; 09-07-12 at 03:03 PM.

  28. #28
    Registered User Teamgemini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    440
    Even the old leaf sprung ones were not to bad. Dads had his since new (2000) and has crossed Simpson twice, towed a big van round oz and towed my rally shit everywhere and never had a drama. Had a tough life and I'm pretty sure all he has replaced is a fuel tank and clutch cylinder.


    Meant to pick mine up on Wednesday so will be heading up the mountains to try out its off road skills and do some skids. Do you know if the diff lock works in 2wd mode? Must be a way to get it to work if it doesn't.

  29. #29
    *Italian Stallion* milo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Stuck in a Lift....... In Wollongong!
    Posts
    1,318
    Quote Originally Posted by psi999 View Post
    and steering wheel stereo controls ($104)






    Controls are actually listed as a Mitsubishi Lancer part but took a punt that they would be the same (and that the wheel would be pre-wired for it) - 2 minute installation job.
    So it was just plug and Play?? Interesting... My Colt, and Parents Lancer have the same steering wheel.... Hmmmm... Might have to pry off the cover....

  30. #30
    Opens
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    One street away from Guido's den of sin
    Posts
    24,156
    Quote Originally Posted by milo View Post
    So it was just plug and Play?? Interesting... My Colt, and Parents Lancer have the same steering wheel.... Hmmmm... Might have to pry off the cover....
    Yep, as simple as that.

    Same for CJ lancers and I would assume your Colt as well.

    Teamgemini - make sure you take some pics!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •