Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Winning lotto - My secret formula revealed

A friend plays the horses, never bets on them to win but takes home about 20-30k a month. I can't say much more because I have nfi on how it works or exactly what he does. He is a professional gambler.

Quote Originally Posted by bigmuz View Post
    However- there is a way to optimise your winnings if the numbers do line up- choose numbers >31 as most people are retards and will choose birthdays and therefore if you win using numbers under 31 you will likely share your winnings with some other retired.
    This.

I am not so sure Lotto is a tax on the stupid, I think it is more of a tax on hope.

Seedyrom, you made the comment that its a better idea to, over the course of multiple games, have every number selected at least once. I can sort of see how this might SEEM like a good idea, but you are looking at it the wrong way.

the individual games are just that, individual. lets say you were playing a game where you pick five numbers out of twenty. buying 4 games.

1, 2, 3, 4, 5

6, 7, 8, 9, 10

10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15

etc using your method of covering every number

the chance that anyone of those games will win is no different to four games with random numbers. you still need to get 5 numbers out of twenty. I don't see how buying lots of games makes your chances of an individual ticket winning higher, except for the fact that you have more entries.

someone who buys the ticket 1,2,3,4,5 isn't going to be any less likely to win than someone who also bought 1,2,3,4,5, but bought the other numbers as well in different games.

This all stems from one of those large draws. As said, I don't play lotto, but thought i'd get a ticket on this large draw.
    Scene 1: [A dashing young entrepenuer enters a local newsagency.]
    Hero: "One ticket please!"
    Newsagent: "What sort of ticket?"
    Hero: "One for the large draw thankyou Sir"
    Newsagent: "You want a mega pick?"
    Hero: "Sounds superb! Make sure they are the winning numbers. HAHAHAHAHAHA"
    Newsagent: "Indeed. You want a full card?"
    Hero: "Sounds superb! Make sure they are the winning numbers. HAHAHAHAHAHA"
    Newsagent: "Thats $27 dollars"
    Hero: "Fark me. Thank god these are the winning numbers"

Scene 2: [The dashing entrepenuer is at home checking the numbers on the paper slip]
    Hero: (muttering) "What the?? The lowest number on this card of 24 games is 09! The numbers 1-8 are not on this card at all. 17% of the possible numbers are excluded from my ticket. Honey, there's no numbers 1-8 on this ticket."
    Patient wife: "Well, the numbers on there have just as much a chance of winning as any other numbers"
    Hero: I know, however if any numbers 1-8 get called up, all 24 games are void. Fucking Tut might jag this one. And look, there's so much duplication. the number 16 appears in 5 of the games, actually, its rife throughout this ticket. My god, there's numbers missing all over the shop, i'm easily looking at 25% of the available numbers missing from this card."
    Patient wife: "What part of this dont you understand?"
    Hero: "The part where I am reducing my chances of winning. By not having all numbers atleast once on this ticket somewhere, I am guaranteeing that I am not giving myself the best chance possible"
    Patient wife: "I think we should see other people"
    Hero: "Okay, let me put it this way. You, me and God are sitting around a round table and have a standard deck of cards each. We all shuffle them. God puts 6 cards on the table in front of him face down. We both are going to pull 6 cards out of our decks and hope they are the same. You however have to remove 25% of your cards in a random fashion and throw them in the bin before you select your 6 cards from the rest of your deck. Surely my chances of selecting the same cards as God's cards are higher than yours."
    Patient wife: "My chances are the same as yours"
    Hero: "Incorrect. We both select our six cards from our decks and put them face down in front of us. God turns over his first card. What the? Its one of the cards you threw in the bin. Alas, you are out"
    Patient wife: "Yes, but is it one of your cards?"
    Hero: "Funny you should ask, it is!"
    Patient wife: "That was lucky"
    Hero: "Luck had nothing to do with it. The really strange part was that we both selected the same cards as each other, except for that first card which was revealed. I had it selected correctly, and you threw yours in the bin."
    Patient wife: "Dic..."
    Hero: (Interupting) "And now God continue's to reveal his cards. Through good management, my cards match God's. Well done to me!
    Patient wife: "Uh huh. What do you win?"
    Hero: "Oh my dear, its not about winning, it's about being correct"
    Hero: "... and now God has left the room after giving me a high five, and you have your way with me, forcing me to make love to you in all three positions."
    Patient wife: "Well now I know this is an imaginary tale. Anyway, you're not right"
    Hero: "Surely my chances of selecting the same cards as God were increased over yours the minute you threw 25% of your deck into the bin prior to the start".
    Patient wife: "No. You are wrong"
    Hero: "Sweet, silly little wife. Obviously my chances are higher by having a selection of numbers which cover the available pool."
    Patient Wife: "Didn't you do Stats100 at Uni?"
    Hero: "Yes, and I even did Stats120 the following semester. C+ and a CP respectively if I remember correctly. This is obviously my area of speciality."
    Patient wife: "Huge result"
    Hero: "I'll tell your family next time I see them. Obviously this is high-level thinking which is not your forte"
    Hero: "Hush princess, don't stress about it anymore"

[Screen fades to black. Sound of gobbies can be heard]

seedy, the reason you cant understand why you're wrong is because you are only looking at one facet of the equation. Lets say you are playing 9 games and choosing 5 numbers per game.

1 2 3 4 5 on your first card and 41 42 43 44 45 on your last, the others just like that.

Each ball is random. Lets say the number 7 comes up. For the jackpot, you have now eliminated all but 1 game on your card. If you had a random card, you might have no 7's, eliminating them all, or you might have 9 7's, keeping all those games in play.

Now lets say 42 comes up. You're done. However a random pick may have zero through to 9 games still in play. Because the random pick doubles up on some numbers and leaves some out, you might have more winning games or less.

Your system does not change the chance of winning one little bit. It just means that you have each of the numbers come up if you have them all on the grid, but it doesnt improve the chances of them coming up in a single game to the extent that you will win anything.

Thanks poid!

Makes sense to me.

Case closed
    /thread

However I do have a system for the chocolate wheel. Though I might keep that one to myself

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMcSandyAxe View Post
    I knew someone would say that.

This just seems like a bit of Seedyrom logic. Cover the board with bets and bet bigger on a few numbers that appear regularly?

PS - Seedy, are you going to prove how your system works for us?

Quote Originally Posted by seedyrom View Post
    Thanks poid!

Makes sense to me.

Case closed
    /thread
    Damn, I was hoping this would keep going....

You sure you have it sorted?? What about if you started at the final game on the card and went backwards through each game, surely that would make a difference!

All this talk of winning lotto has certainly got my appetite up.

When I had my ticket in the $30 million dollar draw, I of course was convinced I was going to win and as such, started spending the money in my head. I quickly realised that $30 million dollars wasn't enough to let myself live the lifestyle I want to live.

So does that mean I can go and play lotto against god with playing cards now?

Sure. My advice ... Play with a full deck.

25 schmeckles? Do the safety dance.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Rust View Post
    I wonder what the manufacturing tolerance on the balls is?
    As part of my wifes job she had to do regular measurements of the lotto balls. They are championship grade ping pong balls and are measured for size and weight and are changed after a period of use. We have some at home, probably not supposed to :P

i can't believe this thread made it to three pages. So much retiredness.

Meh
    FWIW some mates on Dr Karl's Science Forum worked out for me the number of system 20 games you'd have to play to virtually guarantee a win - It ended up being about two million dollar worth.

Oooo, I get it. Its like, so theres a game show with 3 doors and 2 goats right. Two doors have a goat behind them, but one of them doesnt, it has the winning lotto numbers behind it. If you open the doors and dont find a goat, you have the numbers.

You pick door 1, the host opens a door that shows a goat (like he always does) and asks if you wanna switch your choice. Should you switch?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Ed View Post
    Oooo, I get it. Its like, so theres a game show with 3 doors and 2 goats right. Two doors have a goat behind them, but one of them doesnt, it has the winning lotto numbers behind it. If you open the doors and dont find a goat, you have the numbers.

You pick door 1, the host opens a door that shows a goat (like he always does) and asks if you wanna switch your choice. Should you switch?
    I don't know, Kevin Spacey in 21

Quote Originally Posted by BoganDAVE View Post
    Lol @ pro-gamblers, no such thing other than poker players.
    I reckon pro gamblers have also made a lot of money off blackjack.

I have a fool proof, can never lose life strategy for you seedyrom:

To avoid ridicule keep secret formula's for things you don't understand secret...

HTH

kthxbai

The royal penis is clean tremolo's Avatar
    So ... I haven't sat down and crunched numbers, but in my mind it seems pretty simple. By simply having all of the numbers from 1-48 on my card, I have a greater chance of winning, as my "pool" of numbers is larger.

Your thoughts?

I think I know where your thought came from, you should have stopped at the only statistical impact of having every number covered across X number of games on a ticket is that it is the only way you can guarentee to still be in play by the time the second individual experiment occurs - ball draw number 2 of which you have a slightly better chance of correct selection due to a smaller pool size. Although by your method you are also guarenteeing that you will have a maximum of one live game by experiement 2
    Last edited by Grunt; 09-07-12 at 09:38 AM.

I know a guaranteed way to win tattslotto. The only problem is, you'd have to buy 8,145,060 games

Can this be stickyieded in the pool room as a warning for kids to pay attention in maths class and don't drink and type?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Ed View Post

You switch of course

I'd call bookies professional gamblers

Chairbourn ranger! Mike Lowrrryyy's Avatar
    Things just don't add up!

Keep on doubling your orginal bet until you win

Quote Originally Posted by Justengt4 View Post
    You switch of course

I'd call bookies professional gamblers
    what if you were only going to buy goats with your lotto winnings? a goat in the hand is worth two in the bush. (and probably has a special website)

Keep on doubling your orginal bet until you win
    or you start living on the street giving handjobs for bets.

Just thought I'd throw this link into the equation.

http://www.news.com.au/weird-true-fr...-1111112414535

YES!!! Speak not of the countless other random winners

my wife .....

Your thoughts?
    where are the pics.

Just on gambling systems again. I was at the nopics christmas party last year. She organised it at Kembla Grange racecourse and it was a superb day all up. I got talking to the husband of one of the nopics colleagues who had been a serious hobby punter since he was in his teens. He explained his system to me that had basically returned him a profit every time he bet. His nopics backed him up so it wasn't just a "gamblers only remember their wins" situation. It was a pretty simple system.

He never backed favourites instead, he'd back two or three horses for the win that had around ten to one odds, not blind, he researched the form. He would always back 13 for a win, subsequently he never bet on a race with less than 13 horses in it.

He would spend an afternoon at the TAB or the pub placing his bets and work with a strict limit (I think around the $200 mark) His nopics told me that he'd furnished their first house using only his winnings. While we were at the Grange he bet on interstate races and ended the afternoon up $110. Not hugely successful but not making a loss.

I've always meant to spend an afternoon trying his system out but have never got around to it, gambling holds practically no interest for me.