Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Winning lotto - My secret formula revealed

25 schmeckles? Do the safety dance.'s Avatar
    My mrs had to explain it to me a few times when we saw that blackjack movie, 21 I think it is. Sadly being smart with numbers doesn't stop her from buying lotto tickets, although dealing with major winners each day might have an affect.

I think I argued about it on here, before I ever saw that movie. Perhaps before it came out? As someone who does alot of work with numbers, it really pissed me off to be proved wrong with that goat/door thing

Registered User Cantilever Bridge's Avatar
    if its a small amount weekly i wouldnt consider it bad, paying for a bit of excitement and a chance at getting rich. some people pay to do skydiving for kicks e.t.c.

plus if you have your numbers you would kill someone if they came up and you didnt have a ticket. I dont play myself BTW.

I think weekly is stupid, chances are you arent really enjoying "the gamble" if its part of your normal routine.

Quote Originally Posted by milo View Post
    I play Lotto Weekly, and one of mine numbers is 13.... In a 5 week stint recently I picked up two wins of just over $230..... And one of those wins had 13.
    I'm totally wrong then.

Quote Originally Posted by bigmuz View Post
    Anyone whose system involves betting on number 13 is a moron.
    Maybe... unless, all things being equal, the actual odds (not the price on the screen) on that horse are better than the others.

WTF I hear you say? Well, as more people back a horse, the odds get worse. If in the general population there are X percent of people who will never bet on horse 13, then your actual odds might be better than the listed odds which have been [partly] determined by the betting general public. Same might go for unlucky 4 in asian markets. On the flip side, if there are just as many punters working on this theory, as there are who are avoiding the horse there will be no statistic advantage.

Got a mate who works for a professional betting outfit turning over billions each year. They love the big carnival days because there are heaps of punters who lay money down as they like the name / colour / look of the horse. This means that the horses with actual form are sometimes at better odds than they would be otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Winnie256 View Post
    ignorance is bliss, i'd rather be a rich idiot than a poor genius
    If your get rich plan is to buy lotto tickets then you're really taking the 'ignorance' thing a bit too literally.

Quote Originally Posted by dodgyd View Post
    l, as more people back a horse, the odds get worse.
    That's an interesting idea. The punter guy also had another reason and that is "the smaller the field the worse the odds". So for him, a field less than 13 wasn't worth a bet.

The superstition angle really works as a concept when it's connected with gambling where "luck" has so much importance.

Quote Originally Posted by tut View Post
    i buy a lottery ticket when there's a work pool. not because i feel like i want to win, but in the remote chance that we don't win, i don't want to be that one bum that didn't enter...
    This happened at my work a few years ago - the lotto syndicate won 1st div which was a little over $1 million, split 12 ways. There's only about 15 people in the department so some were cheering and the others very disappointed. Lots of bitterness and bad feeling about who had/hadn't been invited to join the syndicate. One guy had retired and left the syndicate (which he'd started 15 years beforehand) a month before the win - his place was taken by someone else who'd only worked with us for a couple of months. 6 years later and still no-one has told the guy who left about the win.

I'm surprised workplaces don't have some rules about this sort of thing - a big win could clean out a heap of people, especially in a small-medium company.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruelius View Post
    No, its not flipping a coin, there are many non insignificant variables that could be considered.
    Those things are intangibles, but they do not change the odds.

The odds of One Thing happening if Two Things (in total) are possible is.. 50%. Not more, not less.

I used to work with a lady (single mother, dept of housing apartment) who would "invest" $80 a week across various lotteries, including scratchies.
    She played the same numbers every week. She had even taken over her father's "numbers" when he died, as he had already invested so much into those numbers, that she felt she had to keep them going.

Haven't seen her for 8 years. I don't know if she's won the big one yet. I should find her and tell her about my sure fire method.
    She'll kick herself for wasting so much money

Quote Originally Posted by seedyrom View Post
    I used to work with a lady (single mother, dept of housing apartment) who would "invest" $80 a week across various lotteries, including scratchies.
    She played the same numbers every week. She had even taken over her father's "numbers" when he died, as he had already invested so much into those numbers, that she felt she had to keep them going.

Haven't seen her for 8 years. I don't know if she's won the big one yet. I should find her and tell her about my sure fire method.
    She'll kick herself for wasting so much money
    While you are there ask her if she is enjoying paying the "poor tax".

I like how you're using sarcasm and faux trolling to save face after having your system proven wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by nickevans View Post
    I like how you're using sarcasm and faux trolling to save face after having your system proven wrong.
    This.

maybe seedyrom has invented and proven a system to make yourself end up looking like a retard in the pool room?

You seem to be the only one butthurt by it all.

I just want someone smarter than myself to crunch the numbers. Since there's so much intelligence on this site I was hoping someone would say:
    "No, it wont work, and this is why: blah blah technical"

Instead, I seriously haven't been persuaded by such stunningly brilliant arguments consisting of insults with no basis.
    So as far as I am concerned, you are wrong. You feel you are right. I don't agree until you prove it. So we are at a stalemate.
    I'm not hiding by any faux anything. At least I explained my argument. Your turn now.

As I have said ... and in keeping things equal, I need8 games to cover my numbers, so i'd allow "you" the same amount of autopick games.
    I have a 100% chance of picking the first number drawn. You dont. You have at best a 13% chance of picking the first number drawn.
    From there, I have a 2.1% chance of selecting the next number, same as yourself, unless you are running multiple games with that number.

Prove me wrong with maths, not opinion.

You were proven wrong with maths in the first reply.

With maths...

In 44 ball lottery there are 7,059,052 available combinations. Use this calculator for ease or work it out for yourself

Select one combination you have 1 in 7,059,052 chances. Select two combinations you have 2 in 7,059,052 chances. Doesn't matter which fucken numbers you choose. Don't make things more complicated than they need to be.
    Last edited by dodgyd; 09-07-12 at 02:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyXF View Post
    You were proven wrong with maths in the first reply.
    I wasn't.

Meh
    I wasn't.
    Just because you don't understand it doesn't mean you're right.

Here's my theory
    If I try your theory and it doesn't work i'll sue you for the value of the div 1 prize. That way I can't lose.

holy shit you still think you're right? christ almighty.

I wasn't.
    Serious question, what level of school did you complete?

How did you pass without doing any maths?

How about this for proof: Youre a lazy fucking retard who couldnt be fucked 'crunching the numbers', and even eluded to the reason you're wrong in your original post, but your head is so far up your arse that now you think its ok to carry on with this shit because no-one with a masters degree in statistics has taken time out of their busy day to 'crunch the numbers' on a theory which is so obviously wrong that there is no need to.

All you achieve by having every number covered on a ticket, but not in the same game, is keeping your highlighter busy when the numbers are being read out. It is clearly not the same thing as having all numbers covered in a single game. However, for someone whos hobbies likely include colouring books and face-painting, this is probably a great enough win in itself.
    Last edited by Mr Ed; 09-07-12 at 03:02 PM.

Meh
    To be fair, probability mathematics isn't very intuitive and can easily be guess wrong, unless you have training in that area.
    It's a bit of a jump up from high school maths.

If you pick every single number the only thing it proves is that you've got a lot of balls.

Group buy. I will put in $25 to send our mate to this:

http://stat.mq.edu.au/undergraduate_...ts100/stat175/

This is a general education unit and recommended for students in all fields of study. There is no assumed knowledge. It is particularly useful for those seeking a better understanding of statistics, using attractive and relevant ideas from areas of popular interest. The unit includes analysis of popular gambling games; the chance of success is calculated along with the testing of various strategies for winning. Statistics also plays an important role in the development of sporting strategies and certain national sports will be examined. The use of statistics in the important field of medical science, including drug testing, will be covered.

seedyrom id buy you a beer and have a laugh, nothing against you at all. but this is the most fucking hilarious and retarded thread i have ever seen. Made even better by the short story in page 3 and the fact you keep on refusing to just give up.

if you were playing bingo or keno you senile fuck you would be better off having 48 numbers on yer card, but you have to get the correct combination to win.

shit even getting 3 of the right numbers in one row is hard enough... each row has one in 7,059,052 chance as highlighted by dodgyD.

the numbers have no real predictable chance of which will come up... its not possible to have a system, period. Only possible tips could be to choose less popular numbers so if you do win you get a larger potion of the prize pool.

chance of 7 19 23 48 36 9 31 is just as possible as 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

yeah you were - but look at it this way.

just to bring the numbers down to a more imaginable amount.

lets call this GSRbingo

numbers are 1-10 and in each game you can pick 5 numbers - 5 numbers will be drawn

you pick 2 cards 1,2,3,4,5 and 6,7,8,9,10

i pick 1,2,8,9,10 and 1,2,6,7,8

now granted - you will have to mark off a number every time one is called, but i have just as much chance of having a card with all 5 on it as you do.

both your cards and my cards have a 5/10 chance of hitting the first/next number.

using this generator http://www.random.org/

3, 6, 7, 2, 4

so 3 - your card 1 hits the rest of the numbers in that have a 4 in 9 and card 2 is 5 out of 9 (im writing this as 5:9 now)
    mine is 5:9 & 5:9
    so y1 1,2,3,4,5 y2 6,7,8,9,10
    m1 1,2,8,9,10 m2 1,2,6,7,8

3 - y1 4:9 y2 5:9 - m1 5:9 m2 5:9
    6 - y1 5:8 y2 4:8 - m1 5:8 m2 4:8
    7 - y1 4:7 y2 3:7 - m1 5:7 m2 3:7
    2 - y1 3:6 y2 3:6 - m1 4:6 m2 2:6
    4 - y1 2:5 y1 3:5 - m1 4:5 m2 2:5

so at no point do the odds of either of our cards really change - in fact in the same way you are saying that because you have all numbers, across 8 cards so you have more chance to win - you could say that after the first number is drawn 7 of your cards will not win 1st div.