Thread: DIY Slot Car Track In My Shed

DIY Slot Car Track In My Shed

Built this as I have lost interest in the HJ LS1 turbo I have been building.
    Took a few weekends to build. Steel RHS frame (50x25mm & 25x25) and 12mm MDF top, coreflute used for the straight barriers and 4mm mdf for the curved barriers, Getting a heap of stickers made up for the barriers bridgestone/mobil etc . 1/24 scale cars on it.
    Variable power source 5-15 volt & 5-15 amp. Lap time is around 9-10 seconds as the surface is still slippery, mighr have to change it to a matt finish instead of semi gloss

What goes in the tracks as a power feeder?
    Also, this is getting a little silly and I whole heatedly apporve.

Quote Originally Posted by garvice
    What goes in the tracks as a power feeder?
    Also, this is getting a little silly and I whole heatedly apporve.
    Copper tape is laid on each side if the slot.
    Then i have two power tabs (connection points) for each lane, countersunk brass 1/8" bolts. These bolts are pushed through the copper tape into a countersunk hole and tightened from underneath. Then wiring is connected from the underside

Sweet. I've still got a few 1/24th scale slot cars kicking about.
    The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. - Randy Komisar.

I used to race 1/24th years back... wonder where my car is.

awesome!

if i had time, money and talent i always wanted to do a scale version of bathurst.

PS: if youre sick of building your car, how 'bout you do mine instead

Awesome Stuff...
    I recently stumbled across this store when I was with my young Son, and he had a blast.... Actually, so did I... Had to pick him up and drag him outta there.

Track and car hire is $8 for Half hour, or you can bring your own car.....

xtremetrax
    2007 Mitsuishi Colt VRX
    1989 1.6l Daihatsu Charade [Sold]
    2000 Audi A3 [RIP]

Life For me Has it's UP'S and DOWN'S........ I fix ELEVATORS

Looks like fun, but fuck me there are some nutters out there that do there own tracks. I recall reading a thread may have been linked on here, the guy dug out under his house and built a massive track even went down to the details on the cows/sheep/etc animals on the side of the track fucking nutter
    Quote Originally Posted by ITS60S View Post
    Some say he's roger cordia without the disability pension and shaving cream, others say his bus windows are licked clean every day - all we know is he's called boothy.
    I have CDO. It's like OCD except the letters are in alphabetical order, as they should be

i have sexdaily, i mean dyslexia

the only problem is it's in your shed, not in your house so it'll be uncomfortable in winter i guess

got plans for scenery and stuff?

Last edited by Stix Zadinia; 12-08-12 at 11:11 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smidge View Post
    Would bang. Did bang. Marrying that shit.
    SUNTORY BOSS is the boss of them all since 1992!

No interest in putting stupid fucking moo cows/grandstands or fake grass. I built it to have a few mates round and drink cans. Plans for the shed are to insulate and line it all with plasterboard or ply to make it nicer out there.
    Had a crack on the table last night, put some sticky tyres on a few cars, wiped the track with crc and put a bit on the tyres and let rip, went from roughly a 10 second lap time to 5.

Quote Originally Posted by tripper View Post
    Looks like fun, but fuck me there are some nutters out there that do there own tracks. I recall reading a thread may have been linked on here, the guy dug out under his house and built a massive track even went down to the details on the cows/sheep/etc animals on the side of the track fucking nutter
    I've got a customer who has turned his entire yard into a huge model railway. He admitted that he's got about $250,000, yes that's a quarter of a million south pacific pesos, in it. I'm hoping that's including the, considerable, labour! Funny thing is he's done this to an other wise pretty average 3br brick veneer in an average area.
    Quote Originally Posted by macktheknife2 View Post
    FOR SALE:

Good son. Nearing where life begins. Sire was once reasonably sane. Will provide excellent refs as to radical imagery justifications.
    Caveat.
    Sale notice may be withdrawn at any time subject to any project drive time prior to death.

Hey mate, I know this isnt the place to contact you but I got denied trying to send you a PM. Was just wondering if you had any more ls1 Turbo manifolds or if we could come to an arrangement if you were interested. Anyway i know this isn't the place so if you could shoot me a pm or get me your mobile so we could have a a chat that would be ace.

Cheers
    Ryan

Trendsetter is awesome cheapracer's Avatar
    Years ago I made a slot car track about half that size for the kids with a really easy method.

I used a piece of chipboard, glued a thin layer of aluminium on top and a couple of days later cut the slots out with a router (brushes ran direct on the aluminium), wired it up and all was good - until it got wet one day and wrecked the chipboard.

Remember it being very slippery, probably should have painted it, the kids had fun.

Quote Originally Posted by irsa76 View Post
    I've got a customer who has turned his entire yard into a huge model railway.
    That's not so uncommon with model train guys, some screws loose me thinks.

where in Vic are you? I still have ~ 8 1/24th slot cars and a couple of controllers..
    E36 M3 12.92 @ 108.64mph, N/A 3.0L

Quote Originally Posted by morerevsm3 View Post
    where in Vic are you? I still have ~ 8 1/24th slot cars and a couple of controllers..

Down in gippsland, send me a pm with the pics of what you've got if you want to offload them