Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 89' mitsubishi wanker

89' mitsubishi wanker

so got an offered a gen 1 pajero for $400. after bailing up vet180s thread the general consensus is these things a actually not too bad. so i popped on it.

shes a bit rough around the edges, but has had a fair bit of coin spent on her in the last year or so.

its a V6 auto. factory 'big diffs' with LSD rear. has a reco motor too! reasonably highly optioned with the air ride seats, leccy wind'ers, cruise, air (needs fixing) and steer and massif' sunroof (needs adjusting).

plans so far are to get it roadworthy and reliable as cheaply as possible, then turn it into a dirty hacked up mud pig, and try to kill it whenever i get the chance, all the while spending as close to $0 as possible. many tip runs will be had to make this thing awesomes. fuckin hope i dont fall in love with this thing
    Last edited by MRMOPARMAN; 16-09-12 at 10:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdyno
    70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripper
    Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

bit new isn't it??

I had a 93 paj, it was awesome. the rear LSD was awesome in it! good for getting onto the beach

Quote Originally Posted by MRMOPARMAN View Post
    attempted snorkel fitting ????

Yeah had a snorkel on it. Atm tossing up whether its worthwhile making a snorkel out of 90mm pvc stormpipe or to buy one off ebay.. They are only around $100ish on ebay..

Oh and after some opinions on putting manual hubs on it, then welding the front diff? I know it would be a slight pain in the arse having to unlock/lock hubs all the time but i dont mind for a cheap 4locked car. will be putting gen2 front and rear ends in it later and will lock it properly then.

Whats everyone think

I need more cylinders! nine2nine's Avatar
    why the gen 2 diffs? ratio?

looks good, your shape has the manual hubs usually, perhaps cos its v6 it has the gen 2 gear in it instead?

I used 90mm hd electrical for my snorkel, only problem is when the paint gets scratched off its bright orange underneath!

Projects:
    '90 2jz-gte 929
    '02 twin-locked TD42 GU Patrol

Quote Originally Posted by nine2nine View Post
    why the gen 2 diffs? ratio?

looks good, your shape has the manual hubs usually, perhaps cos its v6 it has the gen 2 gear in it instead?

I used 90mm hd electrical for my snorkel, only problem is when the paint gets scratched off its bright orange underneath!
    im a massive pajero noob, but the few hrs ive spent on the vic paj club forum, apparently the gen 2 diffs are stronger, bolt straight in, and when coupled with the gen 2 front suspension (which apparently bolts straight in) gives a massive track increase. (perfect for 35's)

also you can bolt gen 2 calipers staight onto the V6 gen 1 discs, just gotta cut back the backing plates slightly.

apparently most/all gen 1 pajero's got auto hubs, but alot of people convert them back to manual. trition hubs bolt straight on.

i like the sound of the electrical PVC, the orange would look suitably shit against the blue paint, which would fit in with the shitter theme perfectly
    70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
    Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

had a astron powered one while i was in wagga - bald tyres, LSD and 7500rpm got it up most things we tried to climb
    Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

I need more cylinders! nine2nine's Avatar
    im a massive pajero noob, but the few hrs ive spent on the vic paj club forum, apparently the gen 2 diffs are stronger, bolt straight in, and when coupled with the gen 2 front suspension (which apparently bolts straight in) gives a massive track increase. (perfect for 35's)

also you can bolt gen 2 calipers staight onto the V6 gen 1 discs, just gotta cut back the backing plates slightly.

apparently most/all gen 1 pajero's got auto hubs, but alot of people convert them back to manual. trition hubs bolt straight on.

i like the sound of the electrical PVC, the orange would look suitably shit against the blue paint, which would fit in with the shitter theme perfectly
    cool, i know very little about the gen 1s.
    I have front and rear gen 2 diffs here for free, i doubt you're in qld though?

Projects:
    '90 2jz-gte 929
    '02 twin-locked TD42 GU Patrol

thanks for the offer. unfortunately im in central vic.

hoping a burnt/rolled/smashed 2.8td gen 2 comes up at the auctions at a time when i have money, then ill have all the bits i need.

Go manual hubs, we had Warn hubs on the L300 and aftermarket AVM hubs on our Gen2 Paj, base model so it had the same transfer case yours does. GLX and above had superselect which needs either auto hubs or flange drive.
    I've seen Mitsubishi auto hubs fail, mainly due to lack of servicing. Hell we put the AVMs on the Pajero because it broke the OEM hubs.

Buy two of them.

Mmmmmmmmm beer.

Quote Originally Posted by ALLMTR View Post
    You had one fucking job, Imran. One. Now look, there's Flibberty Gibbets all up in here, seeing straight through your ruse. One. Fucking. Job!

i will. one to smash you over the head, and the other to shove up your cock hole.

so i fucked up on the skyline yesterday, so decided to unreg that and fix it good and proper long term, and make this short term get on road for daily driver project.

started off washing all the mud and crap off it. that took over an hour!

washed out and adjusted rear brakes. h/brake now works.

then checked the condition of the motor. had a bit of a miss at idle ocassionally.

pulled plugs, all seemed (worn) but ok except for number 4, which was a bit oily.
    did comp test, all in between 150-160..... except 3, which was 110, and 4, which was 90 = cunting mitsubishi shit strikes again.

also noticed a bit of oil in the cooling system. will clean out, and if it oils up again, it will be chemiwelded, and thrashed until it lets go completely.

in the meantime, if it doesnt get any worse, it should pass a roadworthy.

sorry, no pics. would have bored youse all to emo'ness
    Last edited by MRMOPARMAN; 21-02-13 at 06:10 PM.

so ive done a bit more to this over the last 2 weeks.

heaps of oil in the water, so its most likely done a headgasket or head. so last week i bypassed the heater and chemiwelded the piece of shit. time will tell if it worked or not.

the thing had shitloads of aftermarket wiring everywhere, so i decided to fuck it off and clean it up so i know what im working with.

ended up with this on the floor.

also started chucking better stezza and my UHF into the centre facia. both cost me nothing

going to mount the UHF in the coin tray that sits directly underneath the headunit. wanted to keep the 2nd DIN free so i can upgrade to a 2 din for navigation/reverse sensors etc when i can afford one, or i get given one!
    currently waiting for my UHF bracket to arrive.

also i found some factory 'truck' mirrors of an NG in the car when i bought it. some wanker had rounded the screws heads, so i grabbed some bolts from work and fitted them last weekend.

new vs old..

also last week a mate sold me his old wheels + roadworthy (but low) AT's off a later model pajero for $200. they were on his patrol when he bought it. good buy i thought. will look better than the crappy 4 runner wheels with 205R16's that are on it atm.

and lastly, i grabbed the manual hubs off my old L200 bushbasher last weekend. gave them a clean and a grease tonight.

strayla karnt

glad i cleaned them, they had ingested water at some stage and were pitted fairly badly, and was fuckin dirty inside. also one of the washers was missing, so ill be runnin round tomorrow to try and get some inner hub seals, gaskets and hopefully a washer tomorrow. then i can grease the front wheel bearings at the same time as fitting the hubs.
    Last edited by MRMOPARMAN; 11-10-12 at 10:30 PM.

wow. been a while between updates.

so since above, i decided the motor had to go. picked up a motor out of a hyundai sonata with 140,000km on it. did a dodgy comp test at the wreckers. all cylinders 180psi, and nice clean cooling system. long motor cost $215! previously i had quotes for mitsubishi magna/paj engines. cheapest quote i got was $900 + core.. ripoff cunts.

so over xmas i changed the motor over. what a cunt of a job! everything bar the motor internals and heads had to be swapped over off the paj motor to swap from east west to north south.. even the fucking oil pump!

then found the blocks are slightly different, but a quick grind of the oil pump solved the block issue

got the motor in, and apart from a noisy lifter, it works great, and goes okish. bit of atf in with the oil and a good drive has almost solved the lifter issue.

got the headunit and UHF together. the speakers are fucked so will have to change them at some stage, and i have to install the UHF antenna. needed a bit of hot glue to help it stay together.

did the lower balljoints, and decided to weld the diff while i was at it. forgot to get pics unfortunently. installed the manual hubs. found some numpty had put the hub seals in backwards, and water had got into the hubs and fucked the bearings. that turned into a 12hr marathon to just do the rh side bearings (rusted to the hub etc)

got a roadie today. just minor shit which i have already mostly done. rego booked for next wednesday. attempted skid pics and 4x4ing shinanigans for wednseday night/thrusday night

oh and i scored a steel bullbar from the wreckers for $80, and a cargo barrier for $35. oh and a tray for the acco for $165, but thats another story

im half way through making a diff/trans/transfer breather extender at work using scrap bits i find around the place. also ive started building a winch mount for the thomas winch i have, but im not sure if it will fit on the front without serious mods. instead i might leave the thomas for the acco and buy a cheapie aldi's winch next time they are in stock.

also found a chrysler crossfire fan fits neatly in the fan shroud, and an AE82 corolla fan switch fits in a blanked hole in the intake man.. will rig up a toggle switch so i can have it on auto (normal driving) off all the time (creek crossings) and on all the time (cooling system problems, hot day city driving)

and the best part of the car :P

Great work

Came across an old bloke who's got a SWB one in his shed with a 253 in it. He reckons a Holden V8 is a fairly easy transplant and the driveline can cope, he's probably right but apart from his I've never even heard of a V8 Pajero.

didn't happen to ask him where he got his bellhousing from?

I was thinking maybe 1UZ, as Toyota and mitsu shared asin autos.. but if im going to that trouble I may as well get a gen 2 paj for its 2500kg tow cap, rather than this ones useless 1500kg.

actually I keep forgetting to update this.

she's had reg for about a month now. have done stuff all 4x4ing though. starter motor fucked up on Wednesday night and left missus stranded in town. had to take thursday ( ) off to diagnose and repair it so I had it for the weekend.

fuck she drinks like a fish!! cant better 18L/100km atm. the oxy sensor looks original, so eventually ill get around to changing that. the other thing is it might be running in cold start because of the colder thermostat, and massive fucking radiator ive got in the thing. ill have to do some testing, and maybe run a resistor across the temp sender wires.

chucked the snowflake rims on her last night too. looks fuckin sick. will get pics later today when I catch up with my mates that are camping near by.

pics from camp site.

Love it. Learnt to drive and offroad in one of these.sonata motor was a hood pick up.
    DJ's don't need sigs

Fuck yeh, awesome camp spot. Like the finger in the top pic.

After just having got back from a weekend out at Einasleigh, am keen as fuck to get my cheap 4by going when done studying/have space.

Perfect theme/idea oi reckon. Would never have considered a $400 paj, nice work.

thanks guys. and yeah, I make edo look like a professional photographer

have just been invited by my missus friends to go to the high country with them in may.. needless to say, im FREAKIN excited. but the missus is deciding whether our 5 month old is old enough to camping.. so it may not happen

Nah, didn't think to ask. I'm actually wondering if it's the same one I saw for sale years ago, couldn't be that many 1980s SWB Pajeros with V8s in them around? If so it would be an auto.

hmmm. maybe someones done a th/trimatic auto to paj transfer?

actually, you could chuck the 253 onto a commodore 4l60 auto, then use a marks adapter like nine2nine has.. except why wouldn't you use the 304 that came with the auto

thanks anyways mate.

Nice cheap fun rig! Perfect for getting out an about for cheap (well beside fuel....)

I think it was dellow that does the hilux 308 conversion (previously had a 308 in a lux, but I didn't do the conversion). Maybe the guys used a hilux box and 253?
    Quote Originally Posted by Babalouie View Post
    Geez we're a bunch of softcocks...we have a 911 and we're obsessing over non-functional ducts and indicator colours

yeah quite possibly. heaps of different ways to go about it depending on how much work you want to do etc.

Just found this:

Can't tell where it's filmed, other then Asia.

253 would need adapter to 4L60 too so it would be like an adapter farm. Also… why the fuck would you bother
    Quote Originally Posted by RVK 355 View Post
    Hold it flat cunt

Quote Originally Posted by MRMOPARMAN View Post
    have just been invited by my missus friends to go to the high country with them in may.. needless to say, im FREAKIN excited. but the missus is deciding whether our 5 month old is old enough to camping.. so it may not happen
    Ehh... Yeh why not. Keep swaddled, job done.

Had to do the second take to notice the Hundi engine swap, didn't know they had the same v6 in them, cool.

And yeh, not sure I'd bother with the cocking around to a 253 or such, tradeoff minimal? And sort of destroys the cheap bush pig angle.

yeah I wouldn't have bothered with a 253 myself, but the added torque and reliability would come in handy.

mrs jones, I know fuck nothing about holden V8's, but im told there were 253 TH patterns made.

I still think the 1UZ idea is the go.. however as darwinchops has said, makes cheap bush pig - expensive bush pig. would do it to a Gen2 if I had one though

so myself and a few mates went out to the local clay pits and went spastic. result was a snapped front diff input flange on the D22 navara, an old battle truck triton stuck in 2nd (which fixed itself on the way home), and my brand new starter motor karked it already (but started working again on the way home). fucking awesome day, and its amazing what this thing will actually do.

will upload photos and vids when I work out how to sync computer and camera.