Page 1 of 91 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Dual cab diesel utes..... lets thrash this out YO!

Dual cab diesel utes..... lets thrash this out YO!

So, carnts.

Dual cab 4WD diesel AUTOMATIC utes in the $55k to $65k bracket. The pipe dream of coughing up for a Raptor lost its sheen after driving one. Puke (for the money. USD$50k is cool, but here landed and converted at over twice that, well... fuck off.)

Coming out of a nice n powerful (v8) 4WD wagon with leather and other associated fruit.
    Looking for good drivability/performace, fuel efficency, feel good factor, towing ability (boats and race cars on trailers etc), reliability, and comfort. Big breadth of wants I know, and I'm astounded no manufacturer seems able to deliver on all fronts.
    So far I've narrowed it down to THREE.... and they are, in alphabetical order;

1. Ford Ranger XLT (because the highest level Wildtrack isn't available for over a year!)
    2. Nissan Navara 550 (top spec leather, sat nav etc)
    3. Volkswagen Amarok (either Highline with options or Ultimate spec)

I've spent time with all three over the past 24 hours and have annoyed myself with how anal and fussy I can be, and I value your carntish thoughts you carnts.

The navaras have engine issues from what I have heard I would go the ranger but don't dismiss the colorado they have abilities and a feel the others don't. Also the bt50 is pretty much the same ute as the ranger same go's for the d-max and colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_fahrquhar View Post
    The au put the fucking tunnel in with the bullbar. Even Chuck Norris respects the ability of the au coon.

Don't the Dmax and Colorado have different engine/gearbox now ?

BT50 is just too ugly.
    D-Max/Colorado too agricultural.
    Hence these options.

I've not heard of V6 TDi Navara donk issues. Anything solid or ?

Malakia Industries
    I went in a mates Amarok on the weekend which I told him not to buy because VW's are rubbish. Less than 10k on the clock and its been back to VW a few times to have a couple different issues sorted out which they claimed as "normal" and then windows stopped working without warning halfway through our drive. Awesome.

The rangers have a few little bugs but nothing major the egr makes a rattle after about 50thou but you can block it off with a plate but you need a hole in the plate to stop the ecu throwing a code.
    The au put the fucking tunnel in with the bullbar. Even Chuck Norris respects the ability of the au coon.

go the nissan. its a proven combination, just with a new motor. the ford you will have to put up with the ford service dept, and the volksy isnt that powerful, and quality can be a bit hit n miss.

The auto Amarok has a great 8 speed auto, so I have been told.

Didn't someone post up that amaroks are all blowing cylinder heads?

Haven't been in a New ranger, the old ones are very shit/agricultural.

I like my navara and would like a drive of the tdv6 just to see what an extra 30k gets you, I think it would be a good thing (and with tcc off, bit of a skid mobile). Defiantly get the extended warranty just incase though, cheap insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by da9jeff View Post
    Didn't someone post up that amaroks are all blowing cylinder heads?

Haven't been in a New ranger, the old ones are very shit/agricultural.

I like my navara and would like a drive of the tdv6 just to see what an extra 30k gets you, I think it would be a good thing (and with tcc off, bit of a skid mobile). Defiantly get the extended warranty just incase though, cheap insurance.
    The nissan tdv6 is a very powerful engine with plenty of torque but I was talking to a couple other mechanics about it when a engine builder said they have problems I heard of pistons being destroyed. I don't know how truthful this is but look at the engines from nissan they are putting out more power with a decreased bore and stroke this can only mean the engine is more stressed.

Example nissan 2.5l 4cyl puts out at more power then any other ute they all run 3l's.
    Last edited by Rdyno; 23-01-13 at 08:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MRMOPARMAN View Post
    go the nissan. its a proven combination, just with a new motor. the ford you will have to put up with the ford service dept, and the volksy isnt that powerful, and quality can be a bit hit n miss.
    If the Ranger sounds as noisy as the BT50 the Mazda dealer picked me up in the other week then I'd be going for the Navara. Mate has a 5yr oldish Navara which gets no love, never skips a beat and is far quieter than the BT50. Honestly that thing did nothing but remind me of the diesel donk sitting up front. Farking annoying on a 5 min drive. I imagine you'd either slash your wrists or be ready to push it off cliff after a year of ownership.

I gotta say though I do read a lot of stories about people having diesel injector issues in the past few years. Doesn't appear to be any particular brand although it does seem more common on the SUV/pick up type vehicles. Is it just our shitty fuel or is there something finicky about the modern DID injector that makes them susceptible to failure, or have the injectors always been an issue that have only really come to light with the current popularity of SUV's/pick ups?
    Daily - VF SV6. Former daily, now with more up on blocks - S15 200SX. Weekends - 149 EH Holden Special. Project - EH Premier. More schizo than ever!

Real life axe man Justin Bieber's Avatar
    Leather in a 4wd

What about the new dual cab cruiser ute? 32-valve V8 turbo-diesel engine with common-rail direct injection and an intercooler.
    151kW of power at 3400rpm. Peak torque of 430Nm is reached at just 1200rpm and held all the way to 3200rpm

That new v6td in the navara has a fair bit more grunt, 170kW of power at 3750rpm and 550Nm of torque from just 1750rpm.
    Last edited by Justin Bieber; 23-01-13 at 09:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by FatBoy View Post
    Trump v Clinton is like cheering for the clap or genital warts. Either way it's gonna be ugly....

Quote Originally Posted by ButtaS15 View Post
    If the Ranger sounds as noisy as the BT50 the Mazda dealer picked me up in the other week then I'd be going for the Navara. Mate has a 5yr oldish Navara which gets no love, never skips a beat and is far quieter than the BT50. Honestly that thing did nothing but remind me of the diesel donk sitting up front. Farking annoying on a 5 min drive. I imagine you'd either slash your wrists or be ready to push it off cliff after a year of ownership.

I gotta say though I do read a lot of stories about people having diesel injector issues in the past few years. Doesn't appear to be any particular brand although it does seem more common on the SUV/pick up type vehicles. Is it just our shitty fuel or is there something finicky about the modern DID injector that makes them susceptible to failure, or have the injectors always been an issue that have only really come to light with the current popularity of SUV's/pick ups?
    The vw golfs get diesel knock real bad so if this worries the op I would assume the amarock would have diesel knock just as bad as the rest of their range including transporters and turegs.

Ute with a proper hard tonneau.

Buy a Hyundai iLoad crew cab 2.5 TDA

I've spent the last 24 hours driving all three back to back.

I had high hopes for the Amarok with the new 8-speed auto. But, despite it's apparently great build quality, awesome looks (subjective I know), and excellent interior, the engine is just too weak. It's very laggy, despite in insistance on starting in 1st gear at any opportunity (I reckon it'd go better if that let it start in 2nd and get up on the converter). Once you get it going its ok, but off the mark its a SLUG and overtaking power at 100 is poor. Very roomy interior, with excellent rear seat comfort. Front seats lack under thigh support though.

Navara... fuck me, what an engine and box! Loadedf spec at this price too. Leather, SatNav, leccy seats, rear camera, the lot. All standard. Poor rear seats and might be the most "dated" design. Bloody impressive driveleine though! Felt at home immediately when driving it. Is that because its Japanese? Everything falls to hand well, except the bloodt volume knob is a real stretch (but there's one on the steering wheel too). Best tie downs in tray by far.

Ranger.... huge step forward from the previous model, but Man, they're EXXY! Top spec WildTrack@ 65k is prob reasonable value given it's loaded (but sold out for over a year! WTF), but XLT @ 60-62k is questionable. 5 cylinder donk a bit rough, and not a stand out power wise. Certainly less lag than VW though. Good auto box (ZF 6 speed) . Poor visibility (large pillars and wing mirrors). Styling a little fussy around the rear?

Quote Originally Posted by John Denver View Post
    Leather in a 4wd

What about the new dual cab cruiser ute? 32-valve V8 turbo-diesel engine with common-rail direct injection and an intercooler.
    151kW of power at 3400rpm. Peak torque of 430Nm is reached at just 1200rpm and held all the way to 3200rpm

That new v6td in the navara has a fair bit more grunt, 170kW of power at 3750rpm and 550Nm of torque from just 1750rpm.
    I hear ya, but IMO, leather is easier to clean (sand especially!).
    Dual cab 'Cruiser held promise, but is just that bit too agriculatural and large to suit me daily. Plus, Toyota tax makes it poor value.

I am sorry with the ranger I was talking about the older 4cyl.

With vw the two best diesel engines I have driven were a big transpoter ute and a golf both had more knock. I have not had much to do with the amaroks but if the driveline follows the transporter it will be weak looking.

Nissan always have a strong driveline imo.

I bought the Amarok because its the best of the bunch Off-Road.

I like the subtle styling and VAG parts bin interior.

It will also be noticeably better than the others in Fuel economy (7.6 per 100, 1050kms per tank) and tray size.
    1978 Opel Manta SR Berlinetta 1UZFE - Project
    2013 Opel Insignia OPC - Daily
    2011 Hyundai iLoad - Work
    2015 Skoda Octavia Scout premium 132TSI - Mrs

Fondles
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdyno View Post
    The rangers have a few little bugs but nothing major the egr makes a rattle after about 50thou but you can block it off with a plate but you need a hole in the plate to stop the ecu throwing a code.
    I would call torque converters shitting themselves and pumping metal through the trans to be more than a minor bug, same with the manuals that have clutch/throw out bearing/dual mass flywheel issues that are deemed to be normal.

EDIT: I see you was talking the PJ/PK Model not the PX. the earlier ones still have issues with the clutch/dual mass flywheel.
    Last edited by Fondles; 23-01-13 at 09:21 PM.

Real life axe man Justin Bieber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    I hear ya, but IMO, leather is easier to clean (sand especially!).
    Dual cab 'Cruiser held promise, but is just that bit too agriculatural and large to suit me daily. Plus, Toyota tax makes it poor value.
    Granted leather would be better than carpet. Nothing quite like pulling the plugs out and cutting sick inside the cab with the garden hose though Not sure how leather would go with that

Spot on with the value, i'll be very interested in 5 years time... maybe... Still think the go is a chopped down wagon with a chassis extension for my needs, would love an 80.

Not sure you can even get the new 79 in auto?

My old man just bought a 2010 auto BT50 to tow the new caravan, I absolutely love it. Besides the fact that it's automatic, i'd have one in a heartbeat. Looks nowhere near as shit as the new model and feels bloody solid with plenty of balls. Good value rigs. Might not have the power you're looking for though.

How did the v6td Navara go? Would you say it's the top pick of your 3?
    Last edited by Justin Bieber; 23-01-13 at 09:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by FatBoy View Post
    Trump v Clinton is like cheering for the clap or genital warts. Either way it's gonna be ugly....

Quote Originally Posted by Rdyno View Post
    The navaras have engine issues from what I have heard I would go the ranger but don't dismiss the colorado they have abilities and a feel the others don't. Also the bt50 is pretty much the same ute as the ranger same go's for the d-max and colorado.
    Heard of the 550s doing turbos. Spoke to a guy the other week and it took Nissan 6 weeks to fix it

Fondles
    Ranger... <snip> Styling a little fussy around the rear?
    I was not overly fussed on the rear end either, in particular that massive badge so I tidied it up a little bit.

^^^ Much betterererer. Good werk son!

Quote Originally Posted by John Denver View Post
    How did the v6td Navara go? Would you say it's the top pick of your 3?
    Well, it smashes the competition performance wise. Seriously impressive. As is the gearbox.

I think it is. A mate spent the day with me driving/testing them all. He's of much the same opinion. But it must be said, we're both "V8" guys that like effortless power. Maybe that sways us toward the 550 Navara?
    Navara does have nice dual zone climate and really good smart phone interface in the top spec 550. Lots of buttons, not much it won't do except the 3D satnav maps like the Amarok does.

Not needing it for serious off-road work. A few trips to Moreton/Fraser Island, and a bit of towing. If serious off-road were called for I'd chose something else.

Be interesting to see how long the d40 shape lasts, seeing as there still selling new d22's. I spose the longer they use it the better for resale? dunno.

Just buy a Fucking hilux

nearly Every other cunt on the planet including me is driving one now.
    Look at the sales figures.
    Hilux no1 outright.
    Then if you don't like it or when your finished sell it for a profit.
    Last edited by gbanger; 23-01-13 at 10:02 PM.

dumb question, but of the ones you've driven, which is more "car like" to drive? ie. not overly bouncy, quiet, comfortable etc. etc.?

obviously not what you're looking for but have you tried a lower spec navara with the 2.5? will be slower for sure, but would make for a better comparison with the others, and hte motor itself is a bit more tried/tested...
    Quote Originally Posted by myshortyboomba View Post
    I've had many gauges in cars. I always found the conrods react faster than a gauge.

you can always hear them when they break and they stop the engine immediately so you can't do any more damage.

Navara... fuck me, what an engine and box! Loadedf spec at this price too. Leather, SatNav, leccy seats, rear camera, the lot. All standard. Poor rear seats and might be the most "dated" design. Bloody impressive driveleine though! Felt at home immediately when driving it. Is that because its Japanese? Everything falls to hand well, except the bloodt volume knob is a real stretch (but there's one on the steering wheel too). Best tie downs in tray by far.
    Agree 100% with you opinion on the navara, I have test driven the v6 navara, 2.5l navara, new bt50, and tritons, the v6 diesel navara was miles ahead in performance and had none of the typical Diesel engine noise. It felt like it would give my old daily driver VY LS1 wagon a run for its money.

I am keen to go for a squirt in a new Colorado, they appear much more advanced inside over the navara, be interesting to compare performance.

Navara... . Is that because its Japanese? Everything falls to hand well,
    Built in Spain.

I suppose one plus of the Amarok is that the high end models have constant 4wd not part time.
    Last edited by rj_astra; 23-01-13 at 11:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GTREA View Post
    I bought the Amarok because its the best of the bunch Off-Road.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbanger View Post
    Just buy a Fucking hilux
    Then if you don't like it or when your finished sell it for a profit.

So much bullshit in here my eyes are watering
    Last edited by chino; 23-01-13 at 11:01 PM.