Page 2 of 124 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Dual cab diesel utes..... lets thrash this out YO!

Fondles
    Quote Originally Posted by rj_astra View Post
    Built in Spain.

Why would Nissan send em from Spain when they have assembly plants in both the Philippines and Thailand for the D40.
    Last edited by Fondles; 23-01-13 at 11:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rj_astra View Post
    Built in Spain.

I suppose one plus of the Amarok is that the high end models have constant 4wd not part time.
    But then how do you power slide across 3 lanes after a bit of rain?

Both thai and spanish navs are sold here, st was thai and stx was spanish, not sure what it is now
    Last edited by da9jeff; 23-01-13 at 11:32 PM.

On my second Navara now, have had the STX550 for 9 months. Best ute I've ever owned. They all have pros and cons, but the STX550 has better everything that my last one. Gets 10.6l around town flogging it. Towing 2.5t on the back, this thing still pulls harder than a 15yo with the internets. No need for constant 4WD on a ute, they are nowhere near as unstable in the wet or otherwise as people who don't own them think. The 7sp auto box is a very nice box. Have not heard anything re engine issues - but that's why there's a thing called warranty.
    A slow day at the track is better than any day in the office.

If keeping for more than 3 years, buy a hilux. Every other ute in our fleet is a POS compared to them after a few years.

If you'll turn it over after a few years, buy the navara

Welcome to the PF House of Opinion Ben, no opinion from me here but I've found that CT knows what he is talking about on these sorts of things.
    Richard's DatsunZ lappin LakesidZ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47OSh...&feature=g-upl

“Freedom of speech does not protect you from the consequences of saying stupid shit.”
    ― Jim C. Hines

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
    ― Daniel Patrick Moynihan

“Four hostile newspapers are more to be feared than a thousand bayonets..”
    ― Napoleon Bonaparte

Thanks Richo.

I'm leaning toward the Navara to be honest.
    Best driver's position for me, all the fruit, most grunt, fair servicing prices, dealer is nearby, mates have them and ALL are stoked with them, and to me, it just feels usable, in a Japanese-designed (not built) kind of way.

Ranger underwhelmed. I really disliked the driving position. Too low, with a high adjustable chair that tips you out as you raise it. Bloody awful blind spot turning right thanks to a VE Commy spec A pillar and epic size wing mirror. Dash looks a bit "Ford Festiva" for my taste.

Amarok is a cracking vehicle, but I can't get my head around the lag from a standing start. Given most of my driving is around town I think I'd learn to hate it.

D-Max and Colorado. Are they REALLY worth comparing? Looks wise yes, but the dealer said the D-Max is too "rattly and trucky" to be compared here. I assumed the Colorado would be similar? Does either of these have any resale worth in 3 years?

Quote Originally Posted by chino View Post
    So much bullshit in here my eyes are watering
    Okayyy.

So, the best dual cab ute off road in standard form on the market atm is.................

Because................

On the Amaroks lack of performance, how many K's did the demo have on it that you drove.

I ask this because I am sure VW retard the shit out of them for the 1st 500-1000kms.

I was bitterly dissappointed with the performance of mine when i picked it up, it just felt so flat, no punch whatsoever, I even posted a video on here showing its lack of go.

Now its fine (for what these utes are), punch from 100-140 for overtaking in 6th is just a tickle of the throttle away.

The Dealer lent me this Auto Amarok for a while, whilst they were fucking me around with the one I actually bought (complete with Ghey plates)

I never noticed any lag in it?.....just constant gear changes, ableit smooth....in my Manual I get some lag under say 1100rpm...but not the auto.
    Last edited by GTREA; 24-01-13 at 11:25 AM.

So Woo,

it sounds like if the Amarok had a sensible engine in it, it could be a real contender? (cue the amarok fanbois to defend the "it goes all right for a 2 litre" engine......while they are all off investigating chips and exhausts etc to give it more go..... ) FFS if its good enough to put a 3.0 diesel in a soccer mum car (Toureg) surely they can put one in a workhorse. From what I have read, most current owners would be all over this like a fat kid on a donut subject to cost. Think I might go and give the Hilux another wash and wait for them to put a proper engine in the Amarok or for someone else to pull together the complete package.

Good thing my Hilux is so unbreakable

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    T

D-Max and Colorado. Are they REALLY worth comparing? Looks wise yes, but the dealer said the D-Max is too "rattly and trucky" to be compared here. I assumed the Colorado would be similar? Does either of these have any resale worth in 3 years?
    The IMAX looks good value though... the special edition LS Terrain looks loaded with stuff (leather,sat nav etc etc)

FS if its good enough to put a 3.0 diesel in a soccer mum car (Toureg) surely they can put one in a workhorse.
    Hmmm... Engine for 80k+ luxo SUV (3L V6 TDI) is suitable for a ute that starts from about $28K? Am i missing something?
    What's Toyota's excuse for the shitty diesel they fit in the Hilux?

Even Nissan keeps its Renault V6 diesel for its 60K+ Navara.

Suddenly crude workhorses need to be luxo-barges costing more than a Merc C class. Insane
    Manufacturers must be laughing all the way to the bank. Leaf springs, separate chassis, 12yr model cycles. Nirvana!
    Last edited by rj_astra; 24-01-13 at 09:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by darkside View Post
    So Woo,

it sounds like if the Amarok had a sensible engine in it, it could be a real contender? (cue the amarok fanbois to defend the "it goes all right for a 2 litre" engine......while they are all off investigating chips and exhausts etc to give it more go..... ) FFS if its good enough to put a 3.0 diesel in a soccer mum car (Toureg) surely they can put one in a workhorse. From what I have read, most current owners would be all over this like a fat kid on a donut subject to cost. Think I might go and give the Hilux another wash and wait for them to put a proper engine in the Amarok or for someone else to pull together the complete package.

BP, the VW is screaming for a decent donk. Their V6 TDi would make it great and a contender, but would also make it $80k. What VW actually SHOULD do is make a dual cab version of the Toureg on a slightly longer wheelbase, complete with the IRS.
    I still hate the driver's seat on the Amarok, no under-thigh support. Ranger is same same.

i think the super smooth and powerful V6 donk in the Navara has swayed me. Its just SO much better than the rest.

For some reason the French seem to be making some good diesel donks, Navara sounds like a weapon. There is something very fun about driving a new generation turbo diesel truck, even in traffic. My Challenger goes quite well for a 2.5liter, no problem with acceleration once you work out how much accelerator pedal to use.
    Richard's DatsunZ lappin LakesidZ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47OSh...&feature=g-upl

“Freedom of speech does not protect you from the consequences of saying stupid shit.”
    ― Jim C. Hines

― Napoleon Bonaparte

Quote Originally Posted by da9jeff View Post
    But then how do you power slide across 3 lanes after a bit of rain?
    hehehhee... yup, hilarity on command

My nav is 6 years old, and still goes good, Should replace the clutch master cylinder one day soon (annoying weeping) and put the billies I have in the shed in the front ...

1998 MX5 - Ohlins DFV coilovers, Roll bar,15 x7.5 Konig Litespeeds, Mania Intake
    2014 Colorado LT - Oversized Whitegoods. Kid/bike/track hack/horse hauler.

Quote Originally Posted by darkside View Post

You believe everything you see on TV dont ya?

BT50 is just too ugly.
    D-Max/Colorado too agricultural.
    Hence these options.

I've not heard of V6 TDi Navara donk issues. Anything solid or ?
    Lol fag Colorado is heaps better than the vw ugly piece of shit they are lol
    im a cunt
    and apparently i dont know shit...

Real life axe man Justin Bieber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GTREA View Post
    Okayyy.

So, the best dual cab ute off road in standard form on the market atm is.................

Because................
    It sure as fuck aint the Amarok. Im with chino, some very misguided folks around pf when it comes to 4wds. I'd go over to outerlimits or 4wdaction and put a thread up there. You might actually get some feedback besides everyone just recommending whatever it may be that they own.

I can see the look of impending laughter on an outback mechanics face when the VW gets towed into his shop with *insert problem here*. Along with the dollar signs. Go for a drive more than 200km west of the east coast and see what 4wd's are getting around. 70% Toyotas, 19% Nissans and 1% Euro/Korean crap who's owner more than likely simply got lost.
    Last edited by Justin Bieber; 24-01-13 at 01:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by FatBoy View Post
    Trump v Clinton is like cheering for the clap or genital warts. Either way it's gonna be ugly....

Quote Originally Posted by MRMOPARMAN View Post
    You believe everything you see on TV dont ya?
    I knew I would suck at least one person in. Maybe it should have been in italics but I though the winking emoticon might have helped.

Wonder if these would be popular in out market... with a V8 Duramax or similar

You can buy them here, they are over $100k though.

American Vehicle Sales in Rowville sell them.
    I got nothing

PX Ranger over Navara D40 any day of the week.

My dad bought the Ranger XL 3.2 4x4, he's averaging 7.6L/100km including some horse float towing after 6000km (never resets the thing). Goes really well, 5cyl sounds cool, it isn't a shitbox D40 riddled with stupid issues and it feels much better on the road too. Fit & finish shits all over D40. Besides that Nissan never want to help anyone with warranty issues either.

Oh now come on.... I can entertain all that as opinion, but the Ranger 5cyl sounding "cool"? No it doesn't, it's rattly and slightly rough sounding and feeling. It's a diesel, not a turbo Audi donk

Not my video.... but sounds way better than most of the other 4cyl rattlers. (IMO)

Fondles
    Quote Originally Posted by freakygeek View Post
    PX Ranger over Navara D40 any day of the week.

My dad bought the Ranger XL 3.2 4x4, he's averaging 7.6L/100km including some horse float towing after 6000km (never resets the thing). Goes really well, 5cyl sounds cool, it isn't a shitbox D40 riddled with stupid issues and it feels much better on the road too. Fit & finish shits all over D40. Besides that Nissan never want to help anyone with warranty issues either.
    Yeah gotta call bullshit on those consumption figures, even more so if a horse float is towed occasionally.

Oh now come on.... I can entertain all that as opinion, but the Ranger 5cyl sounding "cool"? No it doesn't, it's rattly and slightly rough sounding and feeling. It's a diesel, not a turbo Audi donk
    agree- it sounds exactly like any other normal diesel -crap

1998 MX5 - Ohlins DFV coilovers, Roll bar,15 x7.5 Konig Litespeeds, Mania Intake
    2014 Colorado LT - Oversized Whitegoods. Kid/bike/track hack/horse hauler.

Edumacator
    This is my D40 this morning. Gotta say I'm very happy with it. Towed this 3300kg trailer + boat no problems. Only a short distance this time and I did initially have my concerns. Once we were rolling though it was clear the navara had plenty of grunt and stability to do the job. 4x Hydraulic electric disk brakes certainly helped with confidence levels.

As for fuel consumption I recently got 870 km (actual - not predicted) out of a tank on a long trip, pushing it on highways and country roads.

Also towed a jza70 + spares / tools and tyres to the snowy mountains 1000 from Newcastle, Averaged 12.6L / 100km for the 1400+ km round trip.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	3.08 MB 
ID:	62838  

12.6l/100 is pretty good for a tow job like that. Mind you, all dual cabs are ugly, wagons FTW
    Last edited by 260BC; 24-01-13 at 04:11 PM.

― Jim C. Hines

― Napoleon Bonaparte

Thanks mate. Is that a 550?

Quote Originally Posted by yojimbo View Post
    As for fuel consumption I recently got 870 km (actual - not predicted) out of a tank on a long trip, pushing it on highways and country roads.
    that is either awesome off a 30L tank, or shithouse off a 250L tank... so which is it?
    Quote Originally Posted by myshortyboomba View Post
    I've had many gauges in cars. I always found the conrods react faster than a gauge.

you can always hear them when they break and they stop the engine immediately so you can't do any more damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraud View Post
    that is either awesome off a 30L tank, or shithouse off a 250L tank... so which is it?
    I'm assuming he meant the standard 80 litre tank was nearly empty after travelling 870 rural kilometres.
    Last edited by Marlin; 24-01-13 at 04:34 PM.

Huh?