Page 4 of 113 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Dual cab diesel utes..... lets thrash this out YO!

Edumacator
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOPARMAN View Post
    oh shit, i forgot nissan excluded stuff like extra fuel, anchors, chains and shit i their tow ratings
    If they're not in the boat when you tow it, cos you are aware of the towing limits of your vehicle then I'm sure they couldnt care less what other equipment was once in the boat. Its been sold so we took all the good shit out - before it was towed.

Quote Originally Posted by GTREA View Post
    Since I mentioned I bought an Amarok because it was the best in class off road.
    No other dual cab gets close to 800mm wading depth... Amorak 500mm, Hilux 500mm, Navara 450mm, Colorado 600mm, Triton 450mm. Even the 200 'cruiser is only 700mm

Quote Originally Posted by John The Baptist View Post
    He should be in the Guinness World Record book then as nobody has even come close to those figures, infact they shit on ford's mythical figures from a great height.

Tell him to keep a log book with real world figures for a month then come back at us with the figures, I bet Lance Armstrong's syringe they are not even close to what you have claimed.
    Guy on Fordforums has done 54k kms so far in a manual XLT 4x4 and has averaged 8.4l/100k during that period.
    Last edited by Sturmovik; 24-01-13 at 07:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturmovik View Post
    No other dual cab gets close to 800mm wading depth... Amorak 500mm, Hilux 500mm, Navara 450mm, Colorado 600mm, Triton 450mm. Even the 200 'cruiser is only 700mm
    Surely a BT50 should be the same

If the OP isn't interested in off road performance then which of the dual cab is best on road... ride, nvh, handling etc.

Exactly, if I wanted to head miles out west of do serious off road work, I'd chose something else like a Patrol or 'Cruiser.

Hilux's aren't on my list, too much undeserved Toyota Tax, and I've driven PLENTY of late model Hiluxes, and none of them impress me. A V6 Petrol is a good beach runner though. Toyota's update can't come quick enough, although I here from good sources the update is a rush to get ANCAP 5 to get back some Mining business.

Any of the vehicles I'm looking at have ample capability for the type of off-road use I want, which is to visit Moreton Island or Rainbow a couple of times a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    Exactly, if I wanted to head miles out west of do serious off road work, I'd chose something else like a Patrol or 'Cruiser.

Hilux's aren't on my list, too much undeserved Toyota Tax, and I've driven PLENTY of late model Hiluxes, and none of them impress me. A V6 Petrol is a good beach runner though. Toyota's update can't come quick enough, although I here from good sources the update is a rush to get ANCAP 5 to get back some Mining business.

Any of the vehicles I'm looking at have ample capability for the type of off-road use I want, which is to visit Moreton Island or Rainbow a couple of times a year.
    I've been told the update is a quickie spec fiddle and possibly a very minor cosmetic tweak and will be out later this year. The all new model is a couple of years out and from all accounts is aimed at regaining the top dog status. Been pretty much confirmed it will be a global platform sold in the US as well, current Hilux/Vigo is very different from the current Tacoma. Rumors say new Hilux will sit between current Hilux/Tacoma and the Tundra in size, ie bigger then the Ranger. It's even possible a V8 petrol version will be offered, as per current 4Runner/US market Prado(lexus GX).

That sounds pretty sweet. Apart from parking the fuckers, I have no issue with the dual cabs approaching medium size pickups in size. Makes them more useful imo.

Fondles
    Quote Originally Posted by freakygeek View Post
    No worries. How do you want me to authenticate the results?

Since you know, obviously the reading on the dash is a total lie... ??
    Litres in VS KM travelled should show up any inconsistencies, as to the dash reading.
    Iam always around the 9 to 9.5lt/100km reading on mine due to basically doing the work commute and rarely any highway useage.

Back in December I did a bit of a road trip and was averaging 1000km out of the tank. 4 weeks later doing the usual commute my dash tells me Iam using 6.8lt/100km........ do you really think it is acurate...

Why would Nissan send em from Spain when they have assembly plants in both the Philippines and Thailand for the D40.
    Coz the first ones (D40's) were made in Spain as the Asian factories wernt tooled up to produce them till 2008-2009.

I love my Nav btw
    '15 Ford UA Everest Trend
    '13 Husqvarna TE511

Growing old is mandatory... Growing up is optional

Fondles
    Guy on Fordforums has done 54k kms so far in a manual XLT 4x4 and has averaged 8.4l/100k during that period.
    See now this I believe, 7.6 including towing a horse float I do not.

Fondles
    No other dual cab gets close to 800mm wading depth...
    Make sure you do not stop as the cabin fills with water, it comes up through the holes that the plastic sill panels clip into.

Real life axe man Justin Bieber's Avatar

Do you even.....................?

All were talking here is Dual Cab utes, let me spell them out for you

Amarok
    Navara
    Triton
    Colorado
    D-Max
    BT-50
    Ranger
    Hilux
    Great Wall
    SsangYong Actyon

Which one of them has better OFF ROAD ABILITY than the Amarok...and why?

Not which one would a bush mechanic prefer to fix, but which one has the best chance of clearing an obstacle

If you cannot answer kindly fuck off
    Let me know when you're off the rag, maybe then you might be more receptive to reasoning.

When did OFF ROAD ABILITY come into the original post anyway?

Since I mentioned I bought an Amarok because it was the best in class off road.

OP cares not for off roading, which is fair enough.

But two turkeys are claiming the Amarok is not the best off road and that is infact an absolutely absurd statement, yet cannot apparently back up with facts *sigh*
    Sorry but I can't resist, on the rag or not. So because you say it's the best, we're turkeys for disagreeing? How bout go fuck yourself?

Simply the fact that it's a VW is reason enough for it not to be the best, no further justification required.

Will try and find the thread on 4wdaction about the poor cunt with an older model Navara TD that was getting around 30L/100km towing a decent sized horse float. Nissan didn't want to know about it, totally wiped their hands of it and said not our problem. What's the point of 3 tonne towing capacity if your range is 250km?
    Last edited by Justin Bieber; 24-01-13 at 09:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by FatBoy View Post
    Trump v Clinton is like cheering for the clap or genital warts. Either way it's gonna be ugly....

Quote Originally Posted by John Denver View Post
    .................................................. ..

Will try and find the thread on 4wdaction about the poor cunt with an older model Navara TD that was getting around 30L/100km towing a decent sized horse float. Nissan didn't want to know about it, totally wiped their hands of it and said not our problem. What's the point of 3 tonne towing capacity if your range is 250km?
    All makes and models will throw up the occasional problem, excessive fuel consumption is usually not that difficult to diagnose and fix. If the dealer won't fix it under warranty then go and pay someone to and then send the invoice to the dealer with the comment that if it is not paid the matter will be taken to small claims. That's what I would do anyway.

People need to complain less and take positive action more.
    Last edited by 260BC; 25-01-13 at 06:59 AM.
    Richard's DatsunZ lappin LakesidZ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47OSh...&feature=g-upl

“Freedom of speech does not protect you from the consequences of saying stupid shit.”
    ― Jim C. Hines

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
    ― Daniel Patrick Moynihan

“Four hostile newspapers are more to be feared than a thousand bayonets..”
    ― Napoleon Bonaparte

If it was a petrol nav then i would expect fuel economy somewhere around that depending on whats being towed

Quote Originally Posted by MRMOPARMAN View Post
    If it was a petrol nav then i would expect fuel economy somewhere around that depending on whats being towed
    This, or a TD auto with a DPF that's fucking up- easy fixed- fuck off the DPF, and block the EGR for good measure

FWIW my fuel economy in the nav (at 135,000 km) around town is mid 9s, highway at 125 km/hr indicated (118 GPS) about the same, and towing upwards of 2 tonne for 500 km at a time( Hay NSW to canberra) 13s at worst ( car trailer stacked with hay bales higher than the Nav) sitting at 125 indicated on the flat, and keeping the boot in as much as possible uphill

the read on the fuel consumption on my OBDII reader is accurate enough around town, but under heavy load and on cruise it's miles out!
    Last edited by rowdytoot; 25-01-13 at 07:51 AM.

1998 MX5 - Ohlins DFV coilovers, Roll bar,15 x7.5 Konig Litespeeds, Mania Intake
    2014 Colorado LT - Oversized Whitegoods. Kid/bike/track hack/horse hauler.

I've driven Rowds' nav and its a pretty cool thing for a truck that tows eleventy billion KG, and have been trying to convince a mate to get one as a tow car.

Our mechanic mate was talking to the local Nissan dealer here in little canberra yesterday, and apparently they have 13 D40's sitting there for warranty repairs. ... Not sure on specifics, but seems a lot for a small place, for what also seems a great hauler

my manual TD r51 pathfinder did 10/10.5 around town day in day out and 11.5 to QLD and back with 4 people and car & car trailer weighing about 2000kgs.
    RB26......................Again

I purchased a brand new king cab 2.5td navara. 14.5l/100km highway - nissan dealer told me it was not their issue and that it was within specs. Broke a front axle in sand. Terrible ground clearance. No underbody protection - the sump is the lowest part of the front end and hangs lower than the cross member. Wouldnt idle along in 1st on anything but flat ground. One week after I sold it the fella phoned me up because the electronic 4x4 select had shit itself whilst he was in the middle of nowhere at about 8pm and it wouldn't go into 4x4.

A good mate has a dual cab 2.5td navara company car. Just ticked over 100,000km, just does around town, high way and to construction sites. The clutch let go on the highway cruising at 100km/h. Once a week the ecu goes into limp mode at random, nissan can't find a problem. Plastic interior door handle broke off. Power windows stop working randomly. Rear diff whines and has more slap than the last fatty in the bar on Friday night.

We sold our R51 Pathfinder Ti diesel auto about 12 months ago now.

Averaged 10.5l per 100kms religiously.

Never had any serious issues with it, great car, sold it to a school mum in the area, still going strong.

Plastic interior trim bits do fall off, door handles do snap. But door handles only $12 from US

Quote Originally Posted by Coffin View Post
    I've driven Rowds' nav and its a pretty cool thing for a truck that tows eleventy billion KG, and have been trying to convince a mate to get one as a tow car.

Our mechanic mate was talking to the local Nissan dealer here in little canberra yesterday, and apparently they have 13 D40's sitting there for warranty repairs. ... Not sure on specifics, but seems a lot for a small place, for what also seems a great hauler
    that cos Nat Cap are clueless fuckwits, who can't diagnose a problem correctly let alone fix it...I guarantee some of those are in cos they don't know how to service the things properly.

I know they've fucked up before and had a car for 2 weeks after a service cos it wouldn't run -would start then stall.They replaced the fuel rail, injectors and fuck knows what still not fixed- owner then got online, a guy told him how to reset the fuel trim on the ECU( takes 30 seconds) and bang, problem solved . I reckon it would have taken them a week to find the cause of my no boost issue I had last week, which I found in 10 minutes, and fixed in 5...(and caused myself by being clumsy during an oil change)

I took mine in with leaking rear axle seals when it was under warranty back in 2008- they were such fuckwits that rather than fix it, they cleaned gear oil up and just put it back together- to see if it was 'an ongoing problem' needless to say I went and bought parts online, and took it to a proper mechanic who actually fixed it by doing what was needed ...
    Last edited by rowdytoot; 25-01-13 at 01:10 PM.

1998 MX5 - Ohlins DFV coilovers, Roll bar,15 x7.5 Konig Litespeeds, Mania Intake
    2014 Colorado LT - Oversized Whitegoods. Kid/bike/track hack/horse hauler.

Lol I agree with you, .. you know my thoughts on dealerships (my commo is back in for 3rd TC replacement at the moment) but the stuff they have sitting there a lot of it is being assessed whether they will actually replace stuff under warranty, or do what they did with your axle seal .... apparently not very good with warranty stuff

Quote Originally Posted by rowdytoot View Post
    that cos Nat Cap are clueless fuckwits, who can't diagnose a problem correctly let alone fix it...I guarantee some of those are in cos they don't know how to service the things properly.

I know they've fucked up before and had a car for 2 weeks after a service cos it wouldn't run -would start then stall.They replaced the fuel rail, injectors and fuck knows what still not fixed- owner then got online, a guy told him how to reset the fuel trim on the ECU( takes 30 seconds) and bang, problem solved . I reckon it would have taken them a week to find the cause of my no boost issue I had last week, which I found in 10 minutes, and fixed in 5...(and caused myself by being clumsy during an oil change)

I took mine in with leaking rear axle seals when it was under warranty back in 2008- they were such fuckwits that rather than fix it, they cleaned gear oil up and just put it back together- to see if it was 'an ongoing problem' needless to say I went and bought parts online, and took it to a proper mechanic who actually fixed it by doing what was needed ...

The horse float towing might have been about 800km out of the 6800km it's travelled.... Loaded one way, unloaded the other. So I still don't see why this is unrealistic. My old man drives like... well, an old man. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by rowdytoot View Post
    that cos Nat Cap are clueless fuckwits, who can't diagnose a problem correctly let alone fix it...
    I second that! Maybe they should "gearbox" themselves.
    '15 Ford UA Everest Trend
    '13 Husqvarna TE511

Growing old is mandatory... Growing up is optional

No worries. How do you want me to authenticate the results?

Since you know, obviously the reading on the dash is a total lie... ??
    The only accurate way to confirm your fuel economy is by dividing the number of litres used by the number of kilometres traveled.

Unfortunately, the dash read outs tend to be pretty optimistic regardless of the brand.
    I do not like V slicers.

"Give it the full rissole son" random old mate 2011

"If you can't fix it with a hammer it's electrical" Hoops 2007

Fondles
    The horse float towing might have been about 800km out of the 6800km it's travelled.... Loaded one way, unloaded the other. So I still don't see why this is unrealistic. My old man drives like... well, an old man. LOL.
    Average of 1052km per tank, yes I do think this is unrealistic.

screw the av's
    Got my D40 from fro and its a dream to drive, although putting some Bilstiens in it will made it ride alot better.
    Its a bit noisy, but that probably more due to the single flywheel in there.

Cruising around Sydney, get a consistent 10.5l/100km which Im pretty happy about, and thats on a engine with 200k+ kms

Quote Originally Posted by matt b View Post
    Unfortunately, the dash read outs tend to be pretty optimistic regardless of the brand.
    for what its worth, over several individual tanks i did this, resetting my avg consumption thing every time, and it came out pretty close (mostly bang on, otherwise within 0.1L/100k)

so i did this over ~10,000k's, without resetting my avg. consumptionometer and i think it was within a couple of tenths... and without knowledge of how fuel pumps at servos are maintained/calibrated, I'd suggest that any error margin is almost just as likely to come from there as it is from my car.

I was significantly surprised. BF falcon ute
    Quote Originally Posted by myshortyboomba View Post
    I've had many gauges in cars. I always found the conrods react faster than a gauge.

you can always hear them when they break and they stop the engine immediately so you can't do any more damage.

If dash read outs are optimistic than my 21.9L per hundred in my vy ss is not so good??? Also for what its worth old boy owns a 550, thing is basically his girlfriend rants and raves about it to no end!!! Must say though i never wanted a dual cab but after driving his I will be getting one soon. Most car like 4wd ute I have driven (not to mention it keeps up with my vy ute ) and I feel I have a good basis for comparison I have spent a lot of time driving my old bosses cars, they had hilux sr5, cruiser ute with v8 diesel, and ranger (older one).

the people that rag navaras out generally don't own them. Mine is a high km cheapy and other than the vibration recently it has been excellent in the 3 years I have owned it, @240K kms there are bits that are getting tired on it, but is to be expected
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbo Yoda
    I <3 Hamster

Yeah I'm doing the rounds again tomorrow just for a second look and rethink of what I think I already know. Also checking out a Bt50 on your guys say so!
    Navara 550 is looking good though, especially at the deal I think I can do, for a top spec 2013 build.
    You know what they say.... power corrupts!