Page 5 of 113 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 150 of 3365

Thread: Dual cab diesel utes..... lets thrash this out YO!

  1. #121
    Registered User Marlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    On the Shelf
    Posts
    5,138
    ..... I think.

  2. #122
    Peoples Champ Fatboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    11,424
    My old man was recently looking for cheap but good option - we drove the 2.5TD auto Nav and the Amarok. He ended up buying the VW. FML....
    Bogan taxi owner
    Budget APRA racer

  3. #123
    New Zealand bro Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Powernats
    Posts
    5,857
    Karnage off here has a new BT50 and loves it, they look like they have down syndrome, but seem like a capable ute
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbo Yoda
    I <3 Hamster

  4. #124
    Registered User Marlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    On the Shelf
    Posts
    5,138
    Amarok is out. Sorry to whomever owns one.
    BT50 has full blown AIDS looks, but I'm a sicko, so fuck it, I'll take a gander. As someone said maybe the looks can be dulled by drawing bewbs on it.

  5. #125
    Opens chino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,264
    Quote Originally Posted by GTREA View Post
    Since I mentioned I bought an Amarok because it was the best in class off road.

    OP cares not for off roading, which is fair enough.

    But two turkeys are claiming the Amarok is not the best off road and that is infact an absolutely absurd statement, yet cannot apparently back up with facts *sigh*
    Care to back up your statement with facts? Posting a pose pic of your VW going down a hill is hardly proof.

    Everything I've read (and experienced) with the VW doesn't indicate it's omgzbest4wdevar!!!1 ie off idle response, wading ability, front bumper clearance... on road it's certainly more refined, but I'm not the one making claims about that.

    FWIW, I hit the beach with a mate in his amarok a few weeks ago. Bogged twice where my Triton and another mate with his cruiser and dual axle boat trailer strolled through.
    Last edited by chino; 26-01-13 at 06:07 AM.

  6. #126
    Real life axe man Justin Bieber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Toowoomba
    Posts
    1,863
    Quote Originally Posted by chino View Post
    Care to back up your statement with facts? Posting a pose pic of your VW going down a hill is hardly proof.

    Everything I've read (and experienced) with the VW doesn't indicate it's omgzbest4wdevar!!!1 ie off idle response, wading ability, front bumper clearance... on road it's certainly more refined, but I'm not the one making claims about that.

    FWIW, I hit the beach with a mate in his amarok a few weeks ago. Bogged twice where my Triton and another mate with his cruiser and dual axle boat trailer strolled through.
    I'll give it one thing, it has factory selectable rear diff lock. Put a locker in anything and it will be just as capable but no doubt gtrea is basing his claims on the performance of stock vehicles. It has IFS, same as every other dual cab and leaf spring rears. The only thing that will get it up muddy hills that unlocked rigs can't is lockers. Throw a $700 truetrack in the back of anything else and it will be just as capable. Still, if you are now buying your 4wd based on offroad ability, you aRen't going to be keeping it stock. You could buy anything else and even throw in ARB lockers over thew detroits, come out much cheaper than an Amarok and be confident the thing is going to last and you are not going to get butt fucked on spares/service costs.

    Amarok: Approach, departure and break-over angles are 28, 23.6 and 23 respectively. Hilux has 30 approach angle and 26 departure angle. Completely dominated there, I Would imagine Navara would be similar. What's the point of being able to drive up a greasy hill if you just bury the front of your car into it? Haha

    So yes, Amarok may get up more shit that Navara/Hilux can't in stock form, lock either of those other vehicles and it's now a level playing field and it all comes back to reliability and longevity after that. Plus you won't get laughed at when you break down in the middle of nowhere. Amarok is certainly not rewriting the rules for Dual Cabs, I will thank it though, it will probably force Nissan/Toyota to get more serious about features and include diff locks in the new models. As soon as this happens, in stock form, Amarok will be put back into it's place as a 2nd tier 4wd. Just because it has a diff lock stock doesn't make it "The greatest most awesome dual cab ever made bro".

    Top of the range Amarok "Ultimate" doesn't have low range!?!? What the fuck? Yeah, class leading 4wd all the way.

    Quote Originally Posted by GTREA View Post


    Which one of them has better OFF ROAD ABILITY than the Amarok...and why?

    Not which one would a bush mechanic prefer to fix, but which one has the best chance of clearing an obstacle

    If you cannot answer kindly fuck off
    There are your facts and figures, I eagily await your reply. If it's going to be oh but the Amarok has lockers stock so it's better, please, don't fucking bother.
    Last edited by Justin Bieber; 26-01-13 at 09:37 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by FatBoy View Post
    Trump v Clinton is like cheering for the clap or genital warts. Either way it's gonna be ugly....

  7. #127
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    5,852
    Quote Originally Posted by John Denver View Post

    Amarok: Approach, departure and break-over angles are 28, 23.6 and 23 respectively. Hilux has 30 approach angle and 26 departure angle. Completely dominated there, I Would imagine Navara would be similar. What's the point of being able to drive up a greasy hill if you just bury the front of your car into it? Haha

    Hilux 4wd SR5 Dual cab. 30 degree approach, 23 degree departure - toyota site.

    Top of the range Amarok "Ultimate" doesn't have low range!?!? What the fuck? Yeah, class leading 4wd all the way.
    It has permanent 4wd with a 8 speed auto
    Toyota gives you a 4 speed auto

  8. #128
    Registered User Asteroid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Lapping freo.
    Posts
    3,515
    and no low range, why bother.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    the only decent six pot holden ever put in a car was the nissan RB30

  9. #129
    I AM the State Sturmovik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    NSW/ACT
    Posts
    7,938
    Quote Originally Posted by John Denver View Post
    I'll give it one thing, it has factory selectable rear diff lock. Put a locker in anything and it will be just as capable but no doubt gtrea is basing his claims on the performance of stock vehicles. It has IFS, same as every other dual cab and leaf spring rears. The only thing that will get it up muddy hills that unlocked rigs can't is lockers. Throw a $700 truetrack in the back of anything else and it will be just as capable. Still, if you are now buying your 4wd based on offroad ability, you aRen't going to be keeping it stock. You could buy anything else and even throw in ARB lockers over thew detroits, come out much cheaper than an Amarok and be confident the thing is going to last and you are not going to get butt fucked on spares/service costs.

    Amarok: Approach, departure and break-over angles are 28, 23.6 and 23 respectively. Hilux has 30 approach angle and 26 departure angle. Completely dominated there, I Would imagine Navara would be similar. What's the point of being able to drive up a greasy hill if you just bury the front of your car into it? Haha
    Nissan is 32 approach and 27 depart (without towbar, 24 with), but they dont seem to list the ramp over angle, I suspect because its worse than shit. I did find somewhere listing 18 degrees however (Thats probably with sidesteps)

    Ranger with the factory towbar/grader blade is pretty ordinary, at 20 degrees departure, but without its 27 degrees. Approach is 28 and ramp over is 24.
    Last edited by Sturmovik; 26-01-13 at 10:33 AM.

  10. #130
    Registered User Marlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    On the Shelf
    Posts
    5,138
    Amarok autos don't have low range, just a really low first gear. I'm unconvinced it's satisfactory.

    Navara approach and depart: 30 and 24 degrees.
    Ranger: 28 and 27 degrees w/out std fit towbar!
    Amarok: 28 and 23.6 degrees
    Last edited by Marlin; 26-01-13 at 10:34 AM.

  11. #131
    Registered User matt b's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    brisbane,qld
    Posts
    1,574
    Quote Originally Posted by Fraud View Post
    for what its worth, over several individual tanks i did this, resetting my avg consumption thing every time, and it came out pretty close (mostly bang on, otherwise within 0.1L/100k)

    so i did this over ~10,000k's, without resetting my avg. consumptionometer and i think it was within a couple of tenths... and without knowledge of how fuel pumps at servos are maintained/calibrated, I'd suggest that any error margin is almost just as likely to come from there as it is from my car.

    I was significantly surprised. BF falcon ute
    Very interesting and good to hear there are some accurate ones. The fact that you have confirmed it against the traditional method gives it credence too.
    I do not like V slicers.

    "Give it the full rissole son" random old mate 2011

    "If you can't fix it with a hammer it's electrical" Hoops 2007

  12. #132
    Registered User Gats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    7,251
    Quote Originally Posted by rj_astra View Post



    It has permanent 4wd with a 8 speed auto
    Nobody ever needs more than 5 gears in an auto. 8 speed boxes are such a massive wank, especially in a fucking 4wd ute.

  13. #133
    I AM the State Sturmovik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    NSW/ACT
    Posts
    7,938
    10speeds are only a couple of years away.

  14. #134
    Formerly GT R31 GT R31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    780
    A satisfied D40 owner here.

    They make a good daily driver, tow car, and go OK on the beach but thats about it. My front diff blew while driving up a rocky dirt hill when a loose rock got spat out, damage was blown planetary and crown gears, fucked housing, and a driveshaft which the service dept didn't spot. Feedback from the oh-so helpful Keema service team: "Nissan have advised that the damage shown is a result of an excessive or shock load and as such the cost to repair this would not be covered by warranty", who then kindly offered to fix it for $3954. Thanks cunts, it's nice to see all that money I blew with dealer servicing went to good use

    Nissan Warranty = fucked.

    The BT50's seem OK, but I think I'd be taking a dual cab landcruiser ute.

    Name:  D40_1.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  101.4 KBName:  D40_2.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  112.1 KB

  15. #135
    Registered User Gats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    7,251
    Nice job. My pet hate with the D40's is trying to get the things out of 4wd. I've lost count of the amount of times ours have been stuck in low 4 for a couple of days until the stupid thing decides to unlock itself.

  16. #136
    Registered User gbanger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    aus
    Posts
    1,084
    D40 are about as high as a commondore.
    4wd ability is Fucking terrible.
    When you do go in the bush,the alluminium front diff housing cracks in half.
    Then Nissan tell you that's its not designed to do so.
    Nissan service..... Fucked,expensive.

  17. #137
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Wrong.
    Posts
    7,050
    Why are you taking shopping carts 4wding? They're all about as useless as swag full of arseholed
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosshoggett View Post
    If your planing to drive this on the road and enjoy it, id suggest a second opinion, someone with a history in Australian Rally or Fink River . If your just playing dyno comps. Then ok

  18. #138
    anyone? MRMOPARMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    downtown chicago
    Posts
    12,803
    Quote Originally Posted by GT R31 View Post
    A satisfied D40 owner here.

    They make a good daily driver, tow car, and go OK on the beach but thats about it. My front diff blew while driving up a rocky dirt hill when a loose rock got spat out, damage was blown planetary and crown gears, fucked housing, and a driveshaft which the service dept didn't spot. Feedback from the oh-so helpful Keema service team: "Nissan have advised that the damage shown is a result of an excessive or shock load and as such the cost to repair this would not be covered by warranty", who then kindly offered to fix it for $3954. Thanks cunts, it's nice to see all that money I blew with dealer servicing went to good use

    Nissan Warranty = fucked.

    The BT50's seem OK, but I think I'd be taking a dual cab landcruiser ute.

    Name:  D40_1.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  101.4 KBName:  D40_2.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  112.1 KB
    lol, so its nissans fault you went rock crawling, lifted a wheel on an unlocked front end and tried to lay a single spinner on a rock? I can tell you now any similar 4x4 would have done the same thing, and i wouldnt have given you warranty either. Try this next time ---mechanical sympathy--- or prepare your truck properly before doing the hard stuff.

  19. #139
    Registered User irsa76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Queanbeyan
    Posts
    9,230
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOPARMAN View Post
    lol, so its nissans fault you went rock crawling, lifted a wheel on an unlocked front end and tried to lay a single spinner on a rock? I can tell you now any similar 4x4 would have done the same thing, and i wouldnt have given you warranty either. Try this next time ---mechanical sympathy--- or prepare your truck properly before doing the hard stuff.
    This.
    Even Jeep and Land Rover would tell you to jump in this situation. Heck I've seen Dana 60s pop in similar situations, as a US magazine once said too many balls not enough brains.
    That said, alloy cased diff in a proper 4wd is just asking for trouble, one reason why I never did anything off road in the Rav was I know everything was weak as piss.

  20. #140
    Registered User gbanger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    aus
    Posts
    1,084
    Any one driven a Chinese foton yet..?
    They run a 2.8ltr cummins deisel which has got to be half decent for them to put there name to it.
    ......it looks like a dmax/hilux/,greatwall/ all the others wrapped into one.
    Interesting move by cummins,if they want to keep a good name.

  21. #141
    Fondles
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gbanger View Post
    Any one driven a Chinese foton yet..?
    They run a 2.8ltr cummins deisel which has got to be half decent for them to put there name to it.
    ......it looks like a dmax/hilux/,greatwall/ all the others wrapped into one.
    Interesting move by cummins,if they want to keep a good name.
    35K for an ex demo...... fuck.
    http://fotonauto.com.au/

  22. #142
    anyone? MRMOPARMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    downtown chicago
    Posts
    12,803
    Quote Originally Posted by irsa76 View Post
    This.
    Even Jeep and Land Rover would tell you to jump in this situation. Heck I've seen Dana 60s pop in similar situations, as a US magazine once said too many balls not enough brains.
    That said, alloy cased diff in a proper 4wd is just asking for trouble, one reason why I never did anything off road in the Rav was I know everything was weak as piss.
    They have alloy diff covers, not full cases. Good aftermarket undertray = fixed.

  23. #143
    Manta Manta GTREA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    7,639
    Oh Fuck

    Look at all the Google results and statistics coming thick and fast after a few days of research and dodgy arse claims which you should never never include in any valid argument fuck

    FWIW, I hit the beach with a mate in his amarok a few weeks ago. Bogged twice where my Triton and another mate with his cruiser and dual axle boat trailer strolled through
    I will say it again slowly for the mildly retarded among you....namely Chino and Mr Denver

    OP asked about 3 dual cab utes, Amarok- Navara - Ranger, I said I bought X because it was the Best of 'the bunch' Off Road....that is it nothing more...OP is not interested in off roading...fair enough nothing more was said except I was called out on the claim....with no facts.....dont you love threads when that happens

    Thats like claiming John Denver is a fag.

    Is he really?

    The correct response would have been John Denver is a Fag BECAUSE I saw him with a Cock up his arse listening to Kylie Minogue

    Any way from your Googling and if you have any 4WD experience at all you will know that:

    The Amarok has the Best 'Off road Traction Control package'
    It has the Best 'Underbody Protection'
    Approach - departure - ramp angles well lets call that even
    Along with the Ranger and a few others, yes it has a Rear Diff Lock

    The Ranger is what I would consider next best basically because of its Factory Locker, and it has the Best Wading Depth, but put a Tow bar on and this happens

    Hilux has the Best wheel articulation and a good traction control package, not enough to make up for lack of a locker however

    Navara in standard form merely class average, I had an R51 for many years did a lot of off roading in it, the traction control is lazy and slow to react, it will get you over most stuff the others will but not as easily.

    Colorado / Dmax again just average, Lazy traction control systems, nothing outstanding in any area, but will get you where 99% of people want to go.

    Triton I did not even consider, did'nt know they had a factory locker, but that departure angle..................


    So yes, If I want to attack that steep rutted Firetrail I would say the Amarok would be the best vehicle to take




    ps OH fuck I am still LOLing at this
    FWIW, I hit the beach with a mate in his amarok a few weeks ago. Bogged twice where my Triton and another mate with his cruiser and dual axle boat trailer strolled through
    1978 Opel Manta SR Berlinetta 1UZFE - Project
    2013 Opel Insignia OPC - Daily
    2011 Hyundai iLoad - Work
    2015 Skoda Octavia Scout premium 132TSI - Mrs

  24. #144
    I need more cylinders! nine2nine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Gympie, QLD
    Posts
    1,954
    When talking stock dual cab ute, they all suck, because stock. If off road was the interest then available mods are what matters.

    If taking it on the beach, power and auto win. The 550 Navara would be so much fun up the beach compared to the others mentioned.

    Projects:
    '90 2jz-gte 929
    '02 twin-locked TD42 GU Patrol

  25. #145
    Real life axe man Justin Bieber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Toowoomba
    Posts
    1,863
    Quote Originally Posted by rj_astra View Post
    Hilux 4wd SR5 Dual cab. 30 degree approach, 23 degree departure - toyota site.



    It has permanent 4wd with a 8 speed auto
    Toyota gives you a 4 speed auto
    Took my figures off the Toyota site, how many beers have you had today?

    PS here you go:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hilux.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	199.5 KB 
ID:	62909

    Quote Originally Posted by gat5rodeo View Post
    Nobody ever needs more than 5 gears in an auto. 8 speed boxes are such a massive wank, especially in a fucking 4wd ute.
    This. No low range? Might as well be a Rav 4 poofter mobile.

    Quote Originally Posted by GTREA View Post
    I will say it again slowly for the mildly retarded among you....namely Chino and Mr Denver

    You seriously are a cock smoker. The OP's original post was fucked off when you started crapping on about how brilliant your Amarok is. You can't keep shifting the goal posts to suit yourself mate. Not sure what you think is so funny, I think you're the only one that looks mildly retarded.

    You must have missed the part where I said the Amarok is probably the most capable on muddy trails in stock form due to the diff locker. I do however think it's incredibly stupid to base the "best dual cab ute" on what you get from the factory. This is performance forums, we modify shit. Anyone intending to do offroad work is not going to keep a stock vehicle. I base "best dual cab ute" on the result of some easy and cost effective mods. As I said, any hilux or navara will cover the same trails an Amarok can with a diff lock. Then it just comes down to transmission, running costs and reliability. None of which have been even close to proven on the VW.

    Hilux is tried and tested, you know what you're getting. New hilux with a Detroit in the rear is a gauranteed package to get you anywhere. The fact that the automatic Amaroks don't have low range is simply laughable. I'm thinking you may be suffering severe buyer remorse and just can't face the facts that you pissed your money away and bought the wrong truck.

    Cliffs: Eat a dick, it isn't the bee all end all. If you want to circle jerk with your Amarok chums im sure there is a one make forum where everyone will agree with you.
    Last edited by Justin Bieber; 26-01-13 at 04:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by FatBoy View Post
    Trump v Clinton is like cheering for the clap or genital warts. Either way it's gonna be ugly....

  26. #146
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    bm
    Posts
    4,615
    Anyone who has drive a hilux and though its a sweet 4wd is farken

    There is a reason why the japs are sleeping with the Germans...


    So that the japs can get a decent diesel and the Germans can get a decent hybrid
    Last edited by fatz; 26-01-13 at 04:59 PM.
    Check out my shit for sale on facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Junk-...25870327473735

  27. #147
    Real life axe man Justin Bieber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Toowoomba
    Posts
    1,863
    Cryptic post is cryptic.
    Quote Originally Posted by FatBoy View Post
    Trump v Clinton is like cheering for the clap or genital warts. Either way it's gonna be ugly....

  28. #148
    Opens chino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,264
    I see GTREA rode the short bus to school so I'll expand on my point. The cruiser (which would have to weigh at least a 1/2 ton more) and its 2 ton trailer did not get stuck where a world's best dual cab cute in the world evar did. Even with its world's bestest electronic gizmo for nubs who don't know how to coordinate throttle, gear selection and the transfer case.

    But hey, I'm not the one trying to justify the size of my cock on an internet forum...

  29. #149
    Manta Manta GTREA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    7,639
    GTREA: You seriously are a cock smoker. The OP's original post was fucked off when you started crapping on about how brilliant your Amarok is. You can't keep shifting the goal posts to suit yourself mate. Not sure what you think is so funny, I think you're the only one that looks mildly retarded.

    Cliffs: Eat a dick, it isn't the bee all end all. If you want to circle jerk with your Amarok chums im sure there is a one make forum where everyone will agree with you.
    Do you actually read posts or just make stuff up as you go along ?

    I suggest you go read my original posts again, they are just offering advice and experience

    I do not give no fark for the Amarok, go and read some of my posts on the Amarok forum I cannot stand the Fanboi-ism!....but I will defend or give credit where credit is due when I know better...in this case its off road ability compared to its rivals.

    You will not find me in a thread about which is better a 351 Clevo or Windsor because I do not know or have an interest to know.
    1978 Opel Manta SR Berlinetta 1UZFE - Project
    2013 Opel Insignia OPC - Daily
    2011 Hyundai iLoad - Work
    2015 Skoda Octavia Scout premium 132TSI - Mrs

  30. #150
    Manta Manta GTREA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    7,639
    Quote Originally Posted by chino View Post
    I see GTREA rode the short bus to school so I'll expand on my point. The cruiser (which would have to weigh at least a 1/2 ton more) and its 2 ton trailer did not get stuck where a world's best dual cab cute in the world evar did. Even with its world's bestest electronic gizmo for nubs who don't know how to coordinate throttle, gear selection and the transfer case.

    But hey, I'm not the one trying to justify the size of my cock on an internet forum...
    Your just embarrassing your self now

    All I will say is tyre pressures
    1978 Opel Manta SR Berlinetta 1UZFE - Project
    2013 Opel Insignia OPC - Daily
    2011 Hyundai iLoad - Work
    2015 Skoda Octavia Scout premium 132TSI - Mrs

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •