Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drag Starion

Drag Starion

A few of you guys on here know me & the project, but here are the cliffs so far

Goal is to run a 9 with the IRS on 26" x 8.5" tyres. They do a live axle conversion similar to Carey Bailes S2000.

JA Starion (Number 007, making the oldest one in the country left, apparently it was a media car)

Creatd Performance built 2.3l VR4
    Eagle Crank & Rods
    Wiseco Slugs
    Manley Valves & Springs
    Crower Cams & Gears
    Magnus Drag Intake Manifold
    Moroso Sump

Turbo atm is Garrett GT3076R, but this may/will change

Car will run Sunoco E85, so will probably have a hex drive fuel pump driven off the cam & will run 2000cc injectors.

Haltech ecu
    M & W Ignition

Trans is Manualised Reverse/Reverse Pattern TF-904 from a Scorpion. This box bolts directly to the VR4 block and is the same as the TF-904 used behind chrysler V8's, but uses a 10" converter and has a smaller case. This was in a Super Street car, not sure who originally built it, but I will be going over it and have a heap of bits from Cope Racing Transmissions in the states, to replace whatever is needed.

Diff/Alxes have been changed out for USDM Widebody units. There are larger "6 Bolt" shafts, bigger lsd diff (similar to a Mustang 8.8), 5 stud hubs (with ARP EVO Studs)

Suspension is D2 (Dont laugh, they are the only company that make off the shelf suspension for them now), that has been re-valved and seals changed by Sydney Suspensions.

Cage is a Bond Roll Bars Kit that has been modified and welded in by Stuey @ Steadfast Performance Garage.

I'll let the pictures do the talking for now & add more later.

Will it pass tech inspection??
    im a cunt
    and apparently i dont know shit...

\/ \/ My motivation \/ \/ ALLMTR's Avatar
    That first shot is killer.

+1 with Dale re rear stays
    1jz Rolla Van ....... 11.6 at 124mph

"Reacher figured if he could put that drivetrain in some battered old sedan body, then that would be his kind of car"

Nice!

Keen to see progress/results of this project.

That will be cool, but why old mate didn't aim those rear stays at the shock mount is beyond comprehension sorry..

Could probably lose the sunvisors too
    Retard Honour Wall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    Rob Sloth Young did i ask for your opinion? no. i only want it for a paddock bomb. go play with traffic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles View Post
    you stupid fucken imbicle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles
    your are a fucken idiot of the highest level.

Quote Originally Posted by 10sec rx7 View Post
    Will it pass tech inspection??
    Of course dale, I have buckley's chance of running un-tech'd

Quote Originally Posted by ALLMTR View Post
    That first shot is killer.
    Yeah, looks good with an inch of dust on it!

Quote Originally Posted by bigmuz View Post
    That will be cool, but why old mate didn't aim those rear stays at the shock mount is beyond comprehension sorry..
    I have been arguing for 2 & 1/2 years with ANDRA h/o & a Sydney Tech Inspector to be allowed to attach the rear stays to strut towers to no avail, as ANDRA want them to the boot floor. But there is no chassis rails past the strut towers.

I have another Sydney Tech Inspector who is happy to tech the car as long as put some supports under the bar between the strut towers. But I might just pick up some more tube during the week and add two more rear stays, just to save the shit fight!

And for those who arn't aware/havn't picked it up yet, I'm Aaron, THAT ANDRA cunt from WSID & the VPW rep.

Sydney tech inspectors are a pain in the ass... Lol
    im a cunt
    and apparently i dont know shit...

\/ \/ My motivation \/ \/ ALLMTR's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1320ft View Post
    But I might just pick up some more tube during the week and add two more rear stays, just to save the shit fight!
    That's what I'd be doing
    1jz Rolla Van ....... 11.6 at 124mph

"Reacher figured if he could put that drivetrain in some battered old sedan body, then that would be his kind of car"

looks good, always good to see something different from the norm.

Quote Originally Posted by ALLMTR View Post
    That's what I'd be doing

ANDRA Steward shirt far right = 1320ft
    Newest member of the PF divorce club

Nice car you have there. Not sure why these aren't any more popular...
    Post some more pics up, and good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Kanenas View Post

Because there is fuck all of them left. Parts were hard to get 15 yrs ago.

No 7? If it was mine it would be full restored and locked in a shed. In years to come it will be worth some decent coin. Might take 50 yrs thou. Lol

Subscribed
    3 broken mitsubishi's (fuck im stupid)
    camry (daily)
    200 series cruiser (wifeys)

Quote Originally Posted by RotaUte View Post
    ANDRA Steward shirt far right = 1320ft
    Fark, I had forgotten about that photo.

Thanks mate

Muttaburra hit the nail on the head, there was only approx 7000 of these sold in Aus, so parts are hard to come by & dont share alot with the cordia & sigma. Funny thing is, they were huge in the states and there are widebody's everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by muttaburra View Post
    Because there is fuck all of them left. Parts were hard to get 15 yrs ago.

No 7? If it was mine it would be full restored and locked in a shed. In years to come it will be worth some decent coin. Might take 50 yrs thou. Lol

Subscribed
    Yep, number 7, going by the registry we run on austarion, the only one left with a lower number, is the one that mitsubishi australia have (001). Sad part is everyone now and again one pops up for sale at a ridiculous price, because someone thinks it's something, it's not.

I Like this very much. Top effort Aaron.

Fucking horrible shitbox. Burn it.
    Quote Originally Posted by piss98
    I wish Kochie would get blown out to sea and never found, in fact most of those dumb cunts standing in the rain telling people not to stand in the rain need to get fucked. Stupid tart on the news last night talking to the weather guy "wow you look totally drenched there whateverthefuckhisnamewas." No shit you vapid bitch he is standing in a fucking cyclone.

Didn't these come factory turbocharged?
    In contrast there are many more 1st generation RX7s.
    It's a shame, it seems Mitsubishi is an unpopular brand in Australia (except I guess lately with Evos)
    I've even considered one of these as a project myself but when I checked to memory I only found 2 for sale and both were expensive (relatively speaking)

Fark, I had forgotten about that photo.

Thanks mate

Muttaburra hit the nail on the head, there was only approx 7000 of these sold in Aus, so parts are hard to come by & dont share alot with the cordia & sigma. Funny thing is, they were huge in the states and there are widebody's everywhere.

Yep, number 7, going by the registry we run on austarion, the only one left with a lower number, is the one that mitsubishi australia have (001). Sad part is everyone now and again one pops up for sale at a ridiculous price, because someone thinks it's something, it's not.

Didn't think there was that many. Makes the 350 odd vr4's they bought in look really rare. There is a JA starion on car sales for 50k. He definitely is dreaming
    camry (daily)

Aaron...7,000 Aus Starions??? Not a chance in hell. I have forgotten the exact number, but more like 1,400-odd all up: Approx 1150 JA's, 210 JBs, and 54 JD's were sold new here.
    Around 20 JDM widebodies and probably the same JDM narrowbodies.
    Widebody GTS-tt

Sweet as!

Quote Originally Posted by RX22NV View Post
    I Like this very much. Top effort Aaron.
    Thanks Daniel, now get yours back out.

Quote Originally Posted by 2rismo View Post
    Fucking horrible shitbox. Burn it.
    That just makes it a twin for a certain other red shitbox.

Didn't these come factory turbocharged?
    In contrast there are many more 1st generation RX7s.
    Yeah, they came factory with a 2ltr SOHC TBI Turbo 4G63, 5 speed, IRS etc etc. When you are out cruising, you regularly get "nice rx-7, nice cordia, nice supra, what is it?"

Quote Originally Posted by muttaburra View Post
    There is a JA starion on car sales for 50k. He definitely is dreaming
    Yeah, thats a running joke. We think his wife has told him to get rid of it & he doesn't want to.

Quote Originally Posted by NXTIME View Post
    Aaron...7,000 Aus Starions??? Not a chance in hell. I have forgotten the exact number, but more like 1,400-odd all up: Approx 1150 JA's, 210 JBs, and 54 JD's were sold new here.
    Around 20 JDM widebodies and probably the same JDM narrowbodies.
    Charlie, there is more than what you guys realise. I was talking to a friend of mine, who worked in management for Mitsu when they released the staz, sigma turbo etc. I quizzed him and he said closer to 7000 were bought into the country.

Is there a reason why Mitsubishi import so few cars?
    I remember with the Evo 8 only 100 were originally brought in.
    The Evo 6 also was very limited (though the $80K price tag probably had a bit to do with it).
    But it seems even the older ones came in limited numbers. Was it low demand or low supply?
    Anyone know specs on the GSR Lancer, VR4 Galant etc?

Why do they import so few of the few interesting cars they make? Mitsubishi Japan (MMC) is just plain wierd and they are by far the most conservative of the Japanese car makers.

Case in point - the first Outlander.

It was the last compact SUV into the segment, it was the heaviest and had the least power. That's as dumb as you can get.

You'll probably notice that MMAL are doing nothing with the current EVO. As a car it kills the WRX, but the sales are running at probably 10:1 in favour of the Subaru as there is no money to run a big campaign.

Deciding to bring in a big load of performance cars takes pre-planning and cash, and MMC are so conservative that they will never take a chance - on practically anything. As an overall strategy it's immensely stupid.

Mitsubishis market share is continuing to shrink, so they have zero cash and hence push all new programs back, delay launches and reduce R&D. Hence, due to an aging product range and lack of money to run aggressive marketing campaigns their market share continues to shrink, so they have zero cash and hence..............and on and on it goes.

It's just so fucking stupid as the other arms of the mistubishi empire are powerhouses of Japanese industry and business.

From memory the Starions were very successful in one of the touring car classes here. Can't remember the exact details, but I believe that some rules were changed in the class they dominating to bring them back to the pack.

They're like a cordia - but not fucking shit like cordias.
    Adjustable cam gears for 1FZ-FE now ready for sale - 10 degrees advance/10 degrees retard. Suitable for all variants of 1FZ-FE.

(adjustable scissor gear for changing separation angle between the intake and exhaust cams coming soon)

International sales welcome - PM me for pricing.

It is a shame, as it seems a manufacturer of such great potential, especially once you start seeing what cars they have or had on offer.
    Even the Cordia, the JDM one had a 4G63 turbo and AWD if I am not mistaken, which certainly for it's day must have been quite something.

Looks like a nice ride.

Eta until track skids?

Fact of the matter is, Starions looked dated the moment they rolled off of the showroom floor, they were quite expensive in their day for the performance (not as exxy as the Porsche 924 Turbo tho at the time!) and they were blown away in a straight line by the significantly cheaper Cordia Turbo (which sold like hot cakes). Even Wheels Magazine recalls during its 1985 Heavyweight Sports Car Performance Comparison between Alfa Romeo's V6 GTV, Toyota's Supra, Mazda's RX7 and Mitsubishi's Starion, they were all out gunned by the Cordia Turbo which was originally only brought along to the performance test comparison to carry the magazines camera crew. However, the Starion was a much better car under the skin, it was built for racing whereas the Cordia was much more humble in design.

Sales for the Starion and Cordia took a serious nose dive when they were forced to use lower octane unleaded fuel and they lost their performance edge. Mitsubishi lost its profitable little niche and the Starion and Cordia were axed in 1987 and 1988.

The Starion shook up the Group A category of the Australian Touring Car Championship - the Starion (tuned to generate over 350kW on ultra high octane fuel) set a number of lap records and enjoyed quite a few wins. Overseas, it also enjoyed great success on tarmac circuits as well as in the rough-and-tough world of rally.

Japanese market versions of the Starion were even more potent, fitted with a 4G63B 'Dash' turbo engine with 3-valves per cylinder and was listed at 150kW at 6000 rpm and 275Nm at 3600 rpm - a 25kW and 30Nm upper hand over the Australian versions.Turbo Cordias were used as highway patrol cars in certain areas of Australia; some of these were reputedly Japanese-spec vehicles with the 3-valve per cylinder intercooled Dash engine, which was good for 150kW and mid-14-second quarter miles. Only in NZ did the Cordia come in AWD but it was de-tuned and the drive line was weak as piss.

Got to admit tho, the wide body Starions released in the US look badass!

Charlie, there is more than what you guys realise. I was talking to a friend of mine, who worked in management for Mitsu when they released the staz, sigma turbo etc. I quizzed him and he said closer to 7000 were bought into the country.
    If that is the case, then why can't anyone find a VIN higher than #1346 (JA); #219 (JB); and #51 (JD). These are from the Australian Starion Registry that I have amassed for many, many years.

Approx 1600 were sold here, so if they did bring in 7,000, where did they all go?
    Last edited by NXTIME; 16-02-13 at 10:45 AM.
    Widebody GTS-tt

Race Spec, nice summarization

There widebodies have been around two dozen widebody versions imported from the JDM and a couple from the USA. I have personally imported 5 over the years. Still have one that I drive every now and then. Can also attest to the puzzled looks from onlookers when they try to work out what it is. Had mine out today and had a cople of guys taking pics and asking questions.

Can't wait for Aaron to represent at the drag strip with his JA. I have no doubt that it will run the numbers he wants.
    Widebody GTS-tt

There's a Starion that has been parked on the nature strip near me for several years. I've even asked the owner if he's willing to sell, a firm no. I like them. An 8A80 in there would be fun, IF you can find one.

Looking good mate, I just picked up a torqueflite to sit behind my 63. They are far and few between now days.
    97 Express van 4G63 compound Turbo Tdo5/HX40 @ 34.7234psi.

Gone--
    93 GSR 1.8L 406whp 11.6@126mph

How many cordia's are left. I'm sure most of them have rusted away by now. I remember looking at one about 1993 and it was a '88 model and it had rust.
    camry (daily)