Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dash Cam Recommendations?

On my Thinkware you can change the volume of the talking or turn it off completely on the pc viewer.
    Which I need to do soon, but always forget because my model can only be updated on the pc by pulling the SD card out of the camera and doing it that way. Agree with you about the hardwire kit. So much easier than other options - and I am a numpty electronics these days.
    Previously known as Lobster, Chuss's brother's anus, Chuss's brother, Lobsook, Lobstersock, Socks, Sockz, MissAmericaImportGirl, ClutchCLobster

CJM 4 Life yo!

What's the hotness in 2019? I'd like to get a couple for the fleet. We have vehicles where a Forward/Rearward system would be good and other applications that would be forward only. I guess where we want forward and rearward we just buy 2.

-Decent enough to read number plates
    -GPS speed would be nice but not essential
    -Cheap.

Anybody have a recommendation on the above?
    No. Driving an esky along the footpath will be the end humanity. This must be stopped.
    "Lol!! The son of satan will rideth thine esky, wearing nought but the beater of wives and the double secured half sandle, and he will wave his hands in great mirth ushering in the end of all mankind"

Iíve got a DOD LS500W in the Lambo. Comes with a forward and backward camera that are connected and has a parking function that triggers if the car moves.

Quality of the video looks ok and from memory was about $450.

I still stand by the Thinkware F800 Pro
    has not put a foot wrong / failed in any way. Very Happy

Quote Originally Posted by dab.of.oppo View Post
    What's the hotness in 2019? I'd like to get a couple for the fleet. We have vehicles where a Forward/Rearward system would be good and other applications that would be forward only. I guess where we want forward and rearward we just buy 2.

-Decent enough to read number plates
    -GPS speed would be nice but not essential
    -Cheap.

Anybody have a recommendation on the above?
    I can look after you we got a few options...

Thinkware is a super solid camera and they have few models so i'm sure we can put together a killer deal for you..

Do any of these cams record your trip to the extent that you could use the data for ATO logbook reasons? I was going to buy a GPS logbook http://gpslogbook.com.au/PublicPages/Home.aspx but if I can get a cam that does both then it should save me doubling up on ability.
    Quote Originally Posted by My mate Nathan
    "Boob is almost as good as cunt"

Pretty sure this is the one I have:
    https://www.dashcamownersaus.com.au/...56gb-dash-cam/
    You can plug the SD card into your PC and use the app to map your location and speed on a map. Not sure if you could use it for log books, but maybe. You'd have to download the footage regularly though.
    Picture quality is great.
    If a 4K model exists out there I'd be grabbing that though. Or 2.5K otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by JabberWocky View Post
    Do any of these cams record your trip to the extent that you could use the data for ATO logbook reasons? I was going to buy a GPS logbook http://gpslogbook.com.au/PublicPages/Home.aspx but if I can get a cam that does both then it should save me doubling up on ability.
    Something like this would be better https://automotivesuperstore.com.au/amberobd

The problem with using a dash cam for doing log's is going to be storage capacity as it saves the gps along with the footage so depending on your memory card size you will be recording over the footage / gps data every day pretty much.

Blackvue DR750 2 ch. Is worth the $600.
    Rear camera field of view is awesome.

God going live needs a fair bit of data. Thanks kebab. I'll do some research and find out if the logged track will suffice.
    Quote Originally Posted by My mate Nathan
    "Boob is almost as good as cunt"

Quote Originally Posted by JabberWocky View Post
    Use the ATO app. Hit start trip and end trip with app running and it GPS records
    Last edited by Reax; 07-04-19 at 08:11 PM.
    "It takes beer to make thirst worth while."

Been using the BlueSkySea B1W now for over 12 months.

Highly recommended. Just make sure you use a UHS3 SD card.

Subscribed!!

Looking for a new Dashcam. Too many near misses lately.
    1969 Datsun 1000 Sedan
    1989 1.6l Daihatsu Charade

Life For me Has it's UP'S and DOWN'S........ I fix ELEVATORS

Whilst I still love and standby my Thinkware - I needed a second dual cam for the Pajero that hardly gets driven so didn;t want to spend $600+ again.
    Found the Nefu PLabo for Under $200 and it's been fantastic.
    Solid unit with great vision and the Wifi App works really well..

I've had it for about 2mths now and for $200 - I can't fault it..
    https://carboncarsystems.com.au/shop...IaAh_9EALw_wcB

but keep an eye on ebay - I got mine from this seller - arrived in 2 days

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nefu-PLA...frcectupt=true

Kebab.... You don't deal with Blackvue anymore? I swear I saw them on your Page not long ago?
    Thinkware the next best alternative?
    1969 Datsun 1000 Sedan
    1989 1.6l Daihatsu Charade

Life For me Has it's UP'S and DOWN'S........ I fix ELEVATORS

Quote Originally Posted by milo View Post
    Kebab.... You don't deal with Blackvue anymore? I swear I saw them on your Page not long ago?
    Thinkware the next best alternative?
    Nah we dropped them too much headache...

Thinkware is objectively a better camera / brand if you read the reviews and look in the US everyone ranks Thinkware #1 they have a fairly decent range depending on price point and i can look after you.

In general not just Blackvue but the 4k cameras suck for night use their resolution is just too high for the sensor it can't capture enough light.

Got Stock?
    Are any of the $50 cameras from Kogan or 4wd super centre any good? Not asking to participate in filming star wars episode 10, don't care for GPS, only need single channel, etc... Or is it a waste of money?

blueskysea b1w is a bit more but good quality footage for the price

Quote Originally Posted by SirGoat View Post
    Are any of the $50 cameras from Kogan or 4wd super centre any good? Not asking to participate in filming star wars episode 10, don't care for GPS, only need single channel, etc... Or is it a waste of money?
    they are a waste, i have a mini 0805 you can have but it needs a new gps or non gps mount

they have good video, small size and gps if you want it and above 1080p video

video from said camera when i was in the US and A, but i used imovie and put a filter on top thats why it looks green

Registered & Trademarked Road_Terrorist's Avatar
    For budget chinese cams the Viofo A119S seems to be what most recommend and they are around $120ish usually.
    I have been using the older A118 which you can now get for around $60-70 depending on what discounts are around. Picture quality supposed to be not quite as sharp as the 119s but for the price it works well enough, although working out the menus to adjust settings is pretty difficult, but once sorted I have never had to change it again. I will probably get a better quality cam for front facing in future and move the A118 to be the rear camera.

These ones both use capacitors rather than batteries which is something to consider if you are driving in the Australian summer which can overheat a battery powered camera. The previous owner of my car had fitted some other cheap dashcam system but it used a battery and during hot days in summer would just overheat and shut off if the sun got on it for more than 15mins.

Yeah I have a Viofo and its awesome
    (I went for the A119 rather than the A119S)
    2003 GU PATROL
    1996 GQ PATROL
    1992 R32 GTST SKYLINE
    1986 4WD HILUX

Quote Originally Posted by ZENNON View Post
    Yeah I have a Viofo and its awesome
    (I went for the A119 rather than the A119S)
    Was that for the wider angle? The Sony sensor seems quite a bit better in low light probably partly due to the lower resolution?

We have an A119 and A119S, no significant difference (although the MX5 gets little night driving)
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

S seems noticeably better to me:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52c533ALfME (although the S footage does seem artificially sharpened)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTjMrergL_8