Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dash Cam Recommendations?

Mine cost about $60 and does similar what Q's does although the GPS co-ords is a little out on mine. pics are ok though.

Stupid AJ fuckhead decided to pull into my braking zone. Shoulda rammed him.

'15 Ford UA Everest Trend
    '13 Husqvarna TE511

Growing old is mandatory... Growing up is optional

I have been playing with the Blackvue jobbie that will be the subject of the group buy...

here are my thoughts....

It's pretty good, the GPS is spot on acurate,
    As Bill mentioned, the start up time is a little slow (from power off to record is about 30-35sec on average)
    the power lead is about 3 times as long as it needs to be - I guess it's so you can run it around the edge of the screen and back down to the cigarette socket, it's huuuge.
    Image quality seems pretty good, I only have a GoPro Hero2 to compare it to and they are pretty similar.
    The software is easy to use and has some cool features and settings that can come in handy,
    You can specify how big you want each file to be (1, 2 or 3 minutes) (3 minutes on the second highest quality is about 109Mb per file)
    The mounting system is pretty sturdy and the actual camera can be easily removed from the holder so you don;t have to leave it in the car..
    As I am just borrowing this unit, I have used high strength velco to hold it to the screen, so there is a little bit of movement, but the factory adhesive strips won't have this problem I am sure.
    You can buy extra mounts for it so it can be moved between vehicles (under $30)
    It doesn't appear to have an inbuilt battery, so when you turn the car off (or pull the ciggie plug out) it shuts down in about 5-10 sec... If you want it to record in Parking mode (ie, if someone hits the car) then you need to buy the optional Black-box power-supply and hardwire it to your car.. certainly handy if you want to utilise the parking feature that measures hits and bumps etc..

I'll post some more after the weekend trip...

What ever happened to the group buy?

Q bought em all, found it easier to attach them to everyone else to record when they crash in to him

bought some finevu pro HD's, they're decent, but IMHO too much of a fisheye lense... cant really read numberplaats

Registered User Cantilever Bridge's Avatar

Blackvue HD 400G on 720p 30fps. going to bump it up to 1080p.

Having trouble getting parking mode to work properly on it

and i didnt hit him, was freaking close though.

^^^
    Fark. Close call.

Meh
    Quote Originally Posted by Gussy View Post
    ^^^
    Fark. Close call.
    Erp, very!

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Mine cost about $60 and does similar what Q's does although the GPS co-ords is a little out on mine. pics are ok though.

Stupid AJ fuckhead decided to pull into my braking zone. Shoulda rammed him.

Copy that + look where the Ipad /sat nav or whatever is mounted .It should not impair/block out any forward vision. FWIW the recommended position is as low as possible in right hand corner of screen.

Thread revival!

What is the current hotness now 3 years later?
    BMW M140i daily. Honda Odyssey family car.

Wakefield 1.07.386 (FG Falcon - Street Tyres 1.08.8) Marulan Short FG Falcon 43.4 SMP GP FG Falcon 1.48.1 Winton FG Falcon 1.35.4

The Street Guardian SG9665GC seems to do the job okay for me, although I don't look at its vids too often and it probably could do with the filter they sell to get rid of dashboard reflections. And it's got a low profile when mounted which I reckon is a good thing.

anyone know what the wireless one Marty used in MCM was?

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    The Street Guardian SG9665GC seems to do the job okay for me, although I don't look at its vids too often and it probably could do with the filter they sell to get rid of dashboard reflections. And it's got a low profile when mounted which I reckon is a good thing.
    It's a very good cam

They are up to a V3 now

It comes with the filter

I have 4 dash cams

I like my gadgets and so far for my car the 9665 is the best I've come across

And I've had blackvue and itronics a mini 0805 and another street guardian

Registered Cunt
    I have this one: https://www.groupon.com.au/deals/gro...oods-331271-48

Family in law got it for me last month for my birthday. Nothing special as far as dash cams go but it paid for itself 2 weeks ago when some cunt in an X5 decided to clip the front driver's site corner and drive off when I wasn't around.

Opinionated Cunt perthdrivers.txt's Avatar
    Heads-up on micro-sd cards - Avoid using Sandisk! They have some kind of low-level error detection that fucks up anything that streams data to them (such as Dashcams). Found this out the hard way with two completely different cams that would not write consistently and sometimes not at all using their cards.
    This is a known issue whihc you will find on various cam forums

Change to no-name/other brand cards = no more problems...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.
    Quote Originally Posted by elfturbomax View Post
    What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.
    1UZ+1NZ...

Yeah, I've been using pretty much only Samsung micro-SD cards these days (including in the dash cam) and haven't had any of them fail yet.

Big Block Ford 545 cubes! XEFalconUte's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stix Zadinia View Post
    anyone know what the wireless one Marty used in MCM was?
    https://www.amazon.com/Cowon-AW1-Rec.../dp/B00CPTE62M
    Quote Originally Posted by RotaUte View Post
    I take it you're a PF member by the gay sarcastic comment that I'm sure you thought
    was funny after 2 beers, but it was lamer than possibly recordable.

Thanks for the recommendations.
    Ordered one of these:

https://dashcamownersaus.com.au/prod...ll-hd-gps-dvr/
    BMW M140i daily. Honda Odyssey family car.

Wakefield 1.07.386 (FG Falcon - Street Tyres 1.08.8) Marulan Short FG Falcon 43.4 SMP GP FG Falcon 1.48.1 Winton FG Falcon 1.35.4

turbo that is not so phat
    how hard are these to install, do i need to remove half the interior which will see me break the clips and the cunt of a car rattle for the next 3 years of ownership? should i also have one for the rear too?

I can do PF members really good deals on Blackvue, Thinkware and Gator dash cam's just drop me a PM.

Dash Cam Recommendations?

Thread revival.

Unreliable cam deserves a good hammering and Iíll need something better.

2 cams, parked recording and the ability to read plates.

Whatís the hotness?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am currently testing out the iRoad X9 (purchased at Kabab's Automotive Superstore)

It was either the Thinkware F800 or the iRoad X9 - and in the end decided to try the X9 as the new kid on the block..

I won't say it's perfect, but through Kabab and one of his staff members at AS - we are speaking with the Aussie Importer and trying to iron out the issues with a possible software / firmware update from Korea...

Good lighting and resolution (although does suffer in direct sunlight and windscreen reflections - a polarising filter is definitely needed
    Comes with easy to install hard wire kit (don;t have to pay extra to hard wire for parking mode)
    Has a great high heat resistance.. class leading I believe
    PC software is quite good as an "all in one"
    Widest field of view of all the competitors.
    I have found it to be very over sensitive - even at the lowest setting - it will trigger an event for even the most minor of bumps and potholes. Even cats eyes between lanes can trigger it into notifying an event.
    The iRoad app software doesn't work so well with Android, (Galaxy S7) - It's quite buggy and takes ages to connect - iphone seems to connect quickly though
    Doesn't have an "event" button - so you can't record something that just happened in front of you unless it triggers an event itself...
    Video clip length is quite short - like 30-40 sec (can be a PITA if the thing you want to save is over 2 or 3 short clips.
    Has an audio issue during playback where it drops the last 2 sec of audio before the next clip starts

Hopefully these things can be addressed and the Koreans will issue an update to fix the issues......I will let you know how it goes..

Quote Originally Posted by adoom View Post
    Thread revival.

Unreliable cam deserves a good hammering and Iíll need something better.

2 cams, parked recording and the ability to read plates.

Whatís the hotness?

How much do you want to spend?

We have a buying guide here: Dash Cam Buying Guide

From our experience:

Thinkware - Best dash cam if money is no concern.
    Blackvue - good camera but you pay for the brand
    Gator - cheap entry level camera
    iRoad - Good camera but as Southo mentions new kid on the block so has some teething issues but good value for money
    Blacksys - Similar to iRoad
    DOD - Chinese Blackvue equivalent
    Street Guardian / Viofo - Good value but Chinese

There are lots of brands let me know i can hook you up...

Thanks gents!

Kabab, Iíll have a read and hit you up for a price.

Quote Originally Posted by adoom View Post
    Thanks gents!

Kabab, Iíll have a read and hit you up for a price.

+1

Blueksysea B1W

Bought two, threw in UHS3 memory and haven't looked back. Are awesome for AUD$55 each.

Been looking for a good twin dash cam setup for a while (front/rear), but wanting to find something I can also use in the race car.

Any recommendations?
    Needs to have a continuous record mode. And GPS.
    Would be great if it could record automatically picture in picture with GPS overlay

Quote Originally Posted by Shane001 View Post
    Been looking for a good twin dash cam setup for a while (front/rear), but wanting to find something I can also use in the race car.

Any recommendations?
    Needs to have a continuous record mode. And GPS.
    Would be great if it could record automatically picture in picture with GPS overlay

Kabab: good to deal with. A+++ would kabab again.
    Last edited by Lobster; 23-08-18 at 05:12 PM.
    Previously known as Lobster, Chuss's brother's anus, Chuss's brother, Lobsook, Lobstersock, Socks, Sockz, MissAmericaImportGirl, ClutchCLobster

CJM 4 Life yo!

Quote Originally Posted by Lobster View Post
    Kabab: good to deal with. A+++ would kabab again.
    It wasnít my first kabab and I donít think it will be my last!
    Now what else do I need from this wonderful site?

Patiently waiting at the front door for the delivery man...

Update..
    Got rid of the iRoadX9. Not sure if I just got a bad one or they are all like it, but it was far too sensitive and the Koreans were not interesting in hearing about the problem - let alone looking at an update to fix it.
    Maybe if enough people buy them and complain loudly on social media and it starts affecting sales - they might give a fuck. But in the meantime Kabab realised it was not working properly and offered a replacement X9 or exchange for another brand.
    I chose an exchange and opted for the Thinkware F800 Pro 2Ch over the Blackvue DR750 2Ch for a few of reasons..

* Stronger front windscreen mount
    supports the full size of the camera, so possibly less chance of high frequency vibrations.
    * Geo Fencing capability
    * Speed/Redlight Camera warnings (switchable)
    * Sightly wider front Camera Angle
    * "Manual" record button + easier to use rear buttons to format/turn on / off other functions quickly
    * Better hardwire kit
    The Hardwire kit is much simpler - just the three wires - Ground, Active & Accessory - (no control box (Power Magic Pro as they call it) to worry about like the Blackvue) as all the voltage cut off and timer length is software controlled on the actual dashcam, not via dip switches on the control box. - much easier to make changes if needed without having to find the control box and flick switches.
    The Hardwire kit for the Thinkware is about $10 as apposed to $45 - $65 for the Blackvue (once again because of the stupid box that you have to buy from Blackvue.

Much happier with the Thinkware - have not had one false alarm and driven one some quite bumpy roads which saw the iRoadX9 fill the card with "events"

I have not had the opportunity (or need thus far) to use the PC viewer as I have used my phone for all viewing and sharing of files / incidents etc so far. The app works well (I can only speak for Android) and is soo much better than the iRoadX9. I have a mate that bought the Blackvue around the same time - so will be catching up with him to see what he has to say and I will see how his software works etc..

The only downside I have found of the Thinkware so far - is the "startup introduction" every time I get back in the car - she talks for about 10 sec.. welcome, notification of incidents (if any) , GPS now connected, continuous recording now active... blah blah. - As I said, I haven't loaded the PC software - so there is probably a way to turn certain aspects of it off (I the phone app gives you the option to turn all voice off - but I like the speed and red light camera warnings..

Overall, this thing in 9.5/10
    and awesome price from Kabab and brilliant after sales service when the iRoadX9 wasn't living up to expectations....