Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So, 60 series/'79 Pootrol?

So, 60 series/'79 Pootrol?

As per title.

Dad/grandad's 1979 pootrol ute has been sitting for a while and i could come to an agreement to take it off his hands for nothing.

It's in good condition (well, body and motor is at least, sure there's some bushes and such that might need attending to, drums etc) and basically, it has a lot of sentimental value and I've been thinking how cool it would be to get it going again as sick of having to rely on mates and wouldn't mind spending a bit of cash getting it back on the road/making it a bit more civil.

It would strictly be a weekender as I'd be retaining my other car. Significant issues I remember with these were that the gearbox is only a 3 or 4 speed and any driving on the highway tends to chew bucketloads of fuel. The 4l petrol six may have had a bit to do with this as well.

Just tossing ideas around at the moment as the soonest I'd be able to do anything would be next year somewhere. Basics are to try and attend to as much of the basic shit as I can myself (with dad's help) and look at getting a later model box (at least) and possibly motor in just to make it slightly easier to drive/more economical on longer trips.

Any ideas or info from pootrol fiends out there? Pic included, basically exactly the same thing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pootrol.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	86.2 KB 
ID:	63928

Has it got a styleside like the one pictured? If it's not rusty, your laughing as they were very poorly painted from the factory. Like painted after panels were bolted together! Don't worry about fuel consumption, it will work out less than any conversion.
    get lead like a leader

No, it is a dropside with a timber tray. So sand and polish for the timber tray would be another big +1 for the sentimentality keep and drop side a lot easier getting shit in and out of camping. Thinking about fourbies, a challenger or such would be great, but this is free and I'd love to see it on the road again. Plus, give no fuck for creature comforts.

Want to at least go for new box - a 4/5th ratio would probably help with the fuel and just make it a bit more useful. And it is a shitful thing too... any ideas there?

Pbly not overly fussed about the motor as it worked fine when dad started it recently and an extra jerry can or two would remedy rang problems for longer trips. And as you say, would cost a lot less and could focus on getting bushes and brakes sorted. Cheaper would be better...

Any other ideas or things to look out for these?

leave gearbox as is, major tailshaft and mounting differences between models. top gear is still 1:1 so same as 4 speed just bigger gaps between gears.

rust aside, no much else goes wrong, they're pretty basic.
    get lead like a leader

Cheers mate.

If it is the 3 speed (not sure) the 60 series 4 sp box drops in ok? Just confirming what box is in it.

Moving more towards just restoring it to driveable, not mangling it and just using it for camping as per plan.

Got a high res edo spec anyway - after having spoken to dad about it, he's gotten it running and driving it around the property. Also confirmed, fuck all rust, all else works.

They are drums all round, anything much to worry about there? Guessing it's possibly too much fucking around to upgrade them either?

Name:  Image0.jpg
Views: 768
Size:  32.1 KB

don't be gay

my cruiser (also formerly my grandad's) is a 4 speed and it's fucken slow as shit to boot

I wouldn't change it for the world, even the paint (which is falling off in some places). You can't buy patina

PS - I haven't seen that shape, that's cool as fuck
    Quote Originally Posted by choppo View Post
    Looking forward videos of OP doing the chicken dance in drag with bananas up the arse and other fruit around the face in gay hypnotherapist rape dungeon

^ this, resto the fucker, they're only going to get rarer, so look after it and keep it original....
    DJ's don't need sigs

Quote Originally Posted by darwinschops View Post
    ...Moving more towards just restoring it to driveable, not mangling it and just using it for camping as per plan.

They are drums all round, anything much to worry about there? Guessing it's possibly too much fucking around to upgrade them either?
    Quote Originally Posted by I'm DJ! View Post
    ^ this, resto the fucker, they're only going to get rarer, so look after it and keep it original....
    Yeh as above, seeing it dragged out of the shed was enough to convince me to fuck around with it as little as possible. Doubt there's many as unfucked and low k's as this one. You can even see the old man's Giddings Earth Moving script on the doors which is staying!

If I can get the drums seen to/rebuilt, reckon I'd even be happy with them. Did mankind fine until the 70's...

Quote Originally Posted by 80DGY View Post
    don't be gay

my cruiser (also formerly my grandad's) is a 4 speed and it's fucken slow as shit to boot

I wouldn't change it for the world, even the paint (which is falling off in some places). You can't buy patina

PS - I haven't seen that shape, that's cool as fuck
    Yeh, I know just what you mean mate. And I had a hard time finding pics or info on it so somewhere in there I was leaning to just restoing. Now pretty sold and it's also a 3 speed manual! Winrar!

Side note, might have to give the Easter camp a miss this time around, dad is heading out to Einasleigh and not sure when I'll be able to head out with him again. And apart from getting out bush with the old man every now and again being alright, definitely doesn't hurt the pootrol inheritance

If anything else comes up, give us a yell though!

hadfields has a few conversions (engine and box) available for these things.

nice pickup btw.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdyno
    70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripper
    Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

Pretty sure Dellow has a few conversion kits for these too, keep it stock though.

My granddad had a SWB one back in the 80s that he refers to (not lovingly) as "that fuel guzzling heap of shit".

Restore it, they're rare as. Cool as fuck.

Re the brakes, hit up the Patrol forums and see if you can't swap MQ brakes or the whole front diff over or something. Disc style wheels with tall tyres with little, well shielded drums is gonna suck.

I think I've only seen one G60 in the last 5 years or so, there's a SWB that I sometimes see running around in my home town.

Quote Originally Posted by MRMOPARMAN View Post
    hadfields has a few conversions (engine and box) available for these things.

nice pickup btw.
    G60 PATROL 1960-1979 - XT-XF 6cyl A/PLATE, G60 PATROL to HEMI 6cyl ADAPTOR PLATE KIT
    Cheers mate, might keep the nissan gas guzzler in there atm at least. Already has tractorplant and hemi = $. And first point.

Quote Originally Posted by sideways View Post
    Pretty sure Dellow has a few conversion kits for these too, keep it stock though.

My granddad had a SWB one back in the 80s that he refers to (not lovingly) as "that fuel guzzling heap of shit".

Restore it, they're rare as. Cool as fuck.

Re the brakes, hit up the Patrol forums and see if you can't swap MQ brakes or the whole front diff over or something. Disc style wheels with tall tyres with little, well shielded drums is gonna suck.
    Heh, that they do... One of the reasons I was looking into the whole thing. Of which, dellow site seems to be down.

Meh, as above, don't want to mangle. keep it stockers initially, resto/bushes/stuff that needs fixing first. Will look into other mods if they become an issue, seems you can swap the whole front diff, modify the front leaf spring hangers.

This was a laugh, verbatim copy and pasted -

The G601 wos a crosover patrol. yousing parts from G60 and Mq sum had mq diffs and sum had G60 diffs. dependind on woht wos in the pdukshen line at the time. thay only mad G601 for 6-8 moths tell thay had nomor G60 bodeys left. then thay did the mq full time. Your G601 is most likley at the start of the run having G60 diffs a mq engon and geerbox. whil the the larst G601 ran oll mq runing geer.

It moves! S' more. So no major problems with a bit of test driving.

Plan is definitely to resto it, keep it original and stoke it along. Looking forward to taking the chance to learn stuff on the old truck without worrying about blowing up expensive alloy dunnydore.

Name:  Image0 (1).jpg
Views: 646
Size:  13.7 KB

aren't you moving to canadia?

Little engine that could. itsnotagsr's Avatar
    Cool project.

But take that shitfull bull bar off it stat!
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
    (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
    Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Quote Originally Posted by bv View Post
    aren't you moving to canadia?
    Yep.

Original plan was I head over and work as a pharmarmacist as soon as grad (end o next year) and look for Geo work there. Unfortunately, they look pretty dimly if you don't have honours/some sort of experience so I'll be looking at 2 years or so here to get some experience and get the network together.

If they start getting desperate again, I might just look at as much vacation work + honours and trying my luck over there. Will have to see. The thought of doing honours over there has crossed my mind... The US seems to have a similar issue with wanting honours or experience, but will look into it a bit more over the next year.

So if I stay here for a year or two past grad it'll be free+rwc+rego project to distract from ss and have a real itch to get the bush bashing/camping out of the system before gtfo Aus. Shame it chews more fuel than the ss or I'd consider the swap sooner, driving the ss fuck all at the moment, pootrol would be useful for some of the field trips around here, less theft risk, less insurance/rego costs, less to break on it.

Quote Originally Posted by itsnotagsr View Post
    Cool project.

But take that shitfull bull bar off it stat!
    Hah, the roo killer? As the name suggests, it's actually not a bad idea with some of the camp spots up here... Crossed my mind though.

Plus it'll make a good skull mounting point/interceptor crusher when mad max times roll in.

Is lpg hard to get up there?

If you saying longer id suggest getting a rusty mq/k and swapping in the sd33t motor and box

Whenever I've looked at lpg conversions, it's always seemed the initial $$ and efficiency tradeoff negates the lower running costs? And it could become an issue if trying to get fuel in the middle of nowhere.

From what I can gather it's not a straight/easy swap for the diffs, box and motor as the mq/k was a new platform, new mounting points, etc. Unless I could do it cleanly without chopping it up, meh. If I do honours+take on a 2 year grad program (likely) I might weigh up my options then.

The other thing crossing my mind is the ss is getting to the 7 year old mark now, and my experience with gm is shit starts falling off/apart a bit from now. Especially as it hasn't had an easy life. Radiators for example... If I was sticking around/full time, this would be about when I'd start overhauling shit/looking at flogging the ls off for an iron block, pulling and rebuilding trans, etc.

At any rate, I'll see how it goes in basic form. Will be stashing both at Dads when I fuck off - he's keen to get a hold of the ss - so looking to spend little.

ahh I see where your going with this.. LS1 conversion

I have no idea what fuel costs out your way, so I cant comment in your case.

but with LPG, carb systems (which is what you would realistically get) use about 15-20% more fuel. so just keep an eye on fuel prices. if it gets within -for example- 40c a litre, then use petrol, otherwise solely use gas except for cold starts and if you need extra range. I don't recommend straight gas on 4x4s because of potential supply issues in remote areas, and loss of range.

with the G60 ute though, you could easily fit 200L of fuel under the cunt, so range shouldn't be an issue on either fuel. with fuel prices in my area, $$ savings are around 60% using gas over petrol (gas is cheap as fuck here atm)

if your handy with wiring diagrams, and a half ok fabricator, you could make your own tank brackets etc, buy a kit off ebay, do most of the fitting, and just get a gas guy to do the fuel lines, check everythings ok, and compliance.

now having said all that.. if your only gonna do a few thousand kays in it while your here, just put up with petrol and chuck jerry cans in the tray.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdyno
    70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripper
    Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

Quote Originally Posted by MRMOPARMAN View Post
    ahh I see where your going with this.. LS1 conversion
    2 ls' are better than one...

I have no idea what fuel costs out your way, so I cant comment in your case.

but with LPG, carb systems (which is what you would realistically get) use about 15-20% more fuel. so just keep an eye on fuel prices. if it gets within -for example- 40c a litre, then use petrol, otherwise solely use gas except for cold starts and if you need extra range. I don't recommend straight gas on 4x4s because of potential supply issues in remote areas, and loss of range.
    No idea either tbh. Thanks for the rest of the info. though. It would have to stay dual fuel if I went that way...

with the G60 ute though, you could easily fit 200L of fuel under the cunt, so range shouldn't be an issue on either fuel. with fuel prices in my area, $$ savings are around 60% using gas over petrol (gas is cheap as fuck here atm)

if your handy with wiring diagrams, and a half ok fabricator, you could make your own tank brackets etc, buy a kit off ebay, do most of the fitting, and just get a gas guy to do the fuel lines, check everythings ok, and compliance.

now having said all that.. if your only gonna do a few thousand kays in it while your here, just put up with petrol and chuck jerry cans in the tray.
    ... which all depends as bold for now. Hopefully... But if rebuild kits for p motor are still available, it's one of the better options really as they're pretty toruqey units. Ta mate.

So, lots o thinking. Conclusions good & bad. As much as anything, bored so figured I'd whack u the pics to give a better idea of this not so common truck.

Good.
    Still runs, had a bit of a look over it, a bit of surface rust/maybe worse in some areas (especially tray) nothing major.
    Have decided when I eventually get to it, will try leave it as stockers as possible, weekender, jerry cans, job done. Unless irreperable breakage...
    Have decided will do something with it eventually.

Bad
    Still heading to Tas at the end of the year, getting this and moo down will be too expensive to make it worthwhile, meaning they stay.
    After that... Not sure. Still keen to get to Canadia when the studies (for a couple of years hopefully) sorted but... No crystal ball, lots o factors, etc but luckily they are both right to stay where they are for at least a couple of years and pretty dry so shouldn't corrode into a heap. Have been fine so far.

So, if I do wind up staying and working here for whatever reasons, it'll get bumped up the list and on the bright side, new chunky tyres and restore and it'll satisfy my urges for a rough as guts perenti-esque thing.

Name:	Photo1014.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	890.4 KB 
ID:	73935

Name:	Photo1018.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	1,019.6 KB 
ID:	73943

Name:	Photo1015.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	910.2 KB 
ID:	73945

Name:	Photo1016.jpg 
Size:	943.7 KB 
ID:	73946

Name:	Photo1017.jpg 
Size:	693.5 KB 
ID:	73947

Name:	Photo1012.jpg 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	73944

And a Chevy Blitz (used to have 3, old boy must have gotten rid of the other two).

So, as plans to emigrate failed and I've settled in for some hard work down here, this is slowly moving forward. Just picked up a wrecker for a hundred bucks for spares and have compiled a what needs to be done and how much.

Name:  $_20.JPG
Views: 402
Size:  63.4 KB

F Wheels seals $67.95
    F Brake linings $136.81
    R Brake linings $144.31
    Brake master cylinder kit $108.42
    Clutch master cylinder kit $70.25
    Carby kit $74.83
    Wheel cylinder set $151.95
    R Wheels seals $93.15
    Points ?
    Plugs ?
    Fuel pump kit ?
    tyres

Should get some of it off the wrecker and tarp over the glass and the rest. Next step, being I'm in Tas and car is in NQ, is buying the rest and seeing if the old man will get it started... So if anyone knows where these parts can come in cheaper, all ears!

But, in the next year or so, the plan is getting up there and either getting it rwc in Qld (a proper, proper cunt of a thing) which is a fucking pain insofar as I want to drive it down the coast to Tas as a camp car (so would have to get it rwc'd) or get it trailered all the way down here where it'll get on the road a lot easier (option b).

Which leaves me still on the fence insofar as upgrading the box (as above and with the reasearch is a bit of an arse about) and/or motor (if I'm going to keep the P motor and deal with the heinous fuel costs...) or keeping it as probably my preferred option. That said, the thought of getting it trailer to Al and him doing some stuff... Just not sure and single make forum is a bit painful and not sure how much more advantageous new hardware will be, specifically with a long road trip the primary plan.

Anyway, input gents, interested to hear some thoughts on the matter!

Name:  111_IMG_20160423_154158.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  89.2 KB

Name:  518_IMG_20160428_162205.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  76.8 KB

Name:  737_IMG_20160429_125327_3.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  83.7 KB

In no particular order. Got the wreck a week or two ago. Herman has seen better days and as the proper German who sold it to me told me, was snapped somewhere in the middle. Came with a P motor and two boxes as well as a lot of random bits. As such, woot, cheap as fuck not too shit original resto.

One thing that had been worrying me was potential for rust underneath, knew it was there just wasn't sure how bad. Hit it with a high pressure hose and it looks fine. A bit o surface corrosion but no pitting. Some slightly better not split rims will get chucked on when they come up and a timber tray will have to be made up too.

Still have to ebay splurge, still tossing up what to get. Still not sure what the work situation will be like after contract, some vague plans of heading up if no renewal, working up there, fixing and the eventual plan, drive it down.

Hadn't seen this thread til now, lot of love & want for these early Poo'eys, will be worth every cent you put in & obvs can't put a price on the sentimental value.

PS: pls retrotech with VK56 or at least LS and GU running gear, will make the drive to Tas better.

Quote Originally Posted by 50RTD View Post
    Hadn't seen this thread til now, lot of love & want for these early Poo'eys, will be worth every cent you put in & obvs can't put a price on the sentimental value.

PS: pls retrotech with VK56 or at least LS and GU running gear, will make the drive to Tas better.
    Lol... Initial plan was to mangle it with something stupid(ly awesome) like that and if it all explodes, it's still on the table (despite everything needing to be custom fabbed as the things are nothing swaps over cunts).

But! As of now, it's all under it's own steam again. Lending weight to the don't fuck it brigade is the fact that it seems to be running well with oil changes and a bit of fiddling with only the brakes in need of serious attention (and, also, being fucking all four corners drums and special case with no easy upgrade, likely to stay for now).

Have a pile of parts waiting to order still but the list of parts needed is changing and yet to get my hands on a catalogue from 4wdproducts on fleabay that seems to be a pretty good one stop for all the random bits and pieces (do want to replace a bunch of rubbers and hoses). All in all, looking dangerously like only about a grand or two might be needed to get it most of the way to on the road and a guy down here even has a good condition tray to donate which is awesome as that was the other big needs doing (plus a bit of rust which will bump the final costs up a bit).

Name:  FB_IMG_1466907649389.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  80.7 KB

Learned to drive in one of those fuckers around lake eildon and wombat state forest...

Brakes are shit.

Marks 4wd did a Dyna gearbox conversion, made it much more driveable.

beware of the speedo cable running over the fuse box.

remember to engage low 4wd in "wet or shippery conditions" exact quote from instruction plate!

Quote Originally Posted by TRD-MX62 View Post
    remember to engage low 4wd in "wet or shippery conditions" exact quote from instruction plate!

Haha, no way, thats awesome!

Yup, my Dad's '77 pootrol had the same instruction panel.

His was a green LWB with the white canopy. he had it for over 20 years. It was supposed to go to me, but the fuckwit brother in law got it for a bit as he needed a car and he traded it in on a Terrano II piece of shit. Both me and the old man were not happy about that at all.

It was bog stock standard, not even a bull bar. Was a horrible thing on the highway with the three speed box. but it could not be killed, even as hard as I tried as a teenager when I first got my licence.

Quote Originally Posted by TRD-MX62 View Post
    Learned to drive in one of those fuckers around lake eildon and wombat state forest...

Brakes are shit.

Marks 4wd did a Dyna gearbox conversion, made it much more driveable.

beware of the speedo cable running over the fuse box.

Yeh, we used to get carted camping in the tray if we petitioned the old man loudly enough. Good pre-wh&s/kids need to learn how to commando roll out of a moving 4wd times. Lol, and getting carted around in the bullbar occasionally. Used to drive it around the property a bit too but 120y and corona cut better skids, fit four rednecks in comfort and sort of accelerated. The only thing with shitter brakes than the pootrol, that actually still qualified as some sort of brakes, was the 120y.

Sigh, Deepnorth redneck for lyfe. And all good reasons to resto it and keep it alive in possibly as close to original form.

Thanks for the heads up on the speedo cable/fuse box and awesome early translation issues, will go looking for that now. And on the brakes, looking in to it but appears either a) boost the crap out of them (doable with a bit of fucking about) or b) fab bits up and try and get MQ/K brakes to fit are the main two options (dearth of info on that not encouraging). Limited top speed might naturally limit need for too much brakes. Possibly...

The marks boxes are rarer than hens teeth buried in rocking horse shit. They're revered by the g60 fanbois. There's a cunt in the states that bought two out from here a couple of years ago when there were already none and a guy on the g60 forum with one waiting for the marks boxes peak in the market/treating it as his super fund (at least he isn't replying to my pms). Guessing he's thinking that's somewhere around 2025.

Quote Originally Posted by PXL265 View Post
    Yup, my Dad's '77 pootrol had the same instruction panel.

His was a green LWB with the white canopy. he had it for over 20 years. It was supposed to go to me, but the fuckwit brother in law got it for a bit as he needed a car and he traded it in on a Terrano II piece of shit. Both me and the old man were not happy about that at all.

It was bog stock standard, not even a bull bar. Was a horrible thing on the highway with the three speed box. but it could not be killed, even as hard as I tried as a teenager when I first got my licence.
    Philistine. No respect some cunts.

With a bit of research, the three speed box has a 1:1 final drive so not the main rate limiting factor it seemed. The super long stroke 4l derived from some dead yankie car company and sold to the Japs before WWII with a redline of 3400rpm is the abhorrent fuel consumption and top speed culprit apparently. The P40 derivative survived in forklifts into the 90s.

And, as it turns out, they can break. Towing an obscene megatonnage of shit and letting natural 70s nissan factory installed rust atrophy take it's course can snap the chassis. Still have a motor that's not too far gone and two 3 sp gear boxes out of it for $100 bucks though so looks like I might be cursed with that combo.

what's the argument against better box/engine? surely making it a bit more usable is nothing but positives provided no butchering required?

they were considered thirsty when fuel was <$.50/L

unfortunately considering how shit the brakes are would probably be better to put the old body on an MQ chassis or similar....