Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So, 60 series/'79 Pootrol?

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    what's the argument against better box/engine? surely making it a bit more usable is nothing but positives provided no butchering required?
    That'd be the main thing. I'm lazy and cheap so no drop in is the biggest hurdle.

There's adaptor plates for crossflows, valiant and thong slappers (and presumably freos) that have been made by dellow and CRS.

Here's the one for the crosflow - http://www.rodshop.com.au/index.php/...tor-plate.html - haven't been able to find the others for a while, probably dead.

Don't know much about what's involved but going to guess more's needed than what's there and if you're doing the motor, you'd do the gearbox, at which point the above is less useful (from what I could gather..) then tailshafts and despite being simple bits of kit, I'm guessing a fair few more bits... There's a couple of guys on the G60 forum who have info on it.

Won't speculate on price as it all depends on what conversion bits you can find and what way you go - I guess if you could find a wrecker conversion pig with a freo and all the bits, would be doable for a reasonable pile of cash but there's a few ifs in there and like all increasingly niche vehicles, if you were to start it this way, potential difficult dickhead scarcity tax or right place right time. If I was going to do it, this is the way I'd go. It'd still suck the gas but it'd be dirty, noisy fun that'd suit me fine.

When I was spitballing, with varying degrees of realism to fantasy in about this order - freo, (turbo) crossflow (but blowthrough problems) through to an LS or as per 5ORTED suggestion, a VH or VK (which are fucking wide and people who know more than me implied too difficult). By that stage, a lot of hacking, fucking around and custom fab.

Basically keeping eyes open for it and or more info but for the time being, happy to proceed down resto path.

Quote Originally Posted by TRD-MX62 View Post
    they were considered thirsty when fuel was <$.50/L

unfortunately considering how shit the brakes are would probably be better to put the old body on an MQ chassis or similar....
    For the former, yep, that's why it's been holed up in the car hole for about 20 years, replaced by a crumby and then a rodeo.

Honestly, if I was going to fab anything up it would be the brakes. There's a lot of talk on it - http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/class...version-68941/ - but a lot of the talk is short on details. Would just have to buy the parts and go for it.

It's actually about the main reason I haven't plowed ahead with ordering the pile of parts (with new drum linings and such in there). Prevaricating over whether to take the plunge on having a tilt and getting the old man to have a crack at it (being he's benevolently doing a lot of the labour for various reasons). If I can get all the bits and it's not too hard, it'd be an option for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by darwinschops View Post
    That'd be the main thing. I'm lazy and cheap so no drop in is the biggest hurdle.

There's adaptor plates for crossflows, valiant and thong slappers (and presumably freos) that have been made by dellow and CRS.

Here's the one for the crosflow - http://www.rodshop.com.au/index.php/...tor-plate.html - haven't been able to find the others for a while, probably dead.

Don't know much about what's involved but going to guess more's needed than what's there and if you're doing the motor, you'd do the gearbox, at which point the above is less useful (from what I could gather..) then tailshafts and despite being simple bits of kit, I'm guessing a fair few more bits... There's a couple of guys on the G60 forum who have info on it.

Won't speculate on price as it all depends on what conversion bits you can find and what way you go - I guess if you could find a wrecker conversion pig with a freo and all the bits, would be doable for a reasonable pile of cash but there's a few ifs in there and like all increasingly niche vehicles, if you were to start it this way, potential difficult dickhead scarcity tax or right place right time. If I was going to do it, this is the way I'd go. It'd still suck the gas but it'd be dirty, noisy fun that'd suit me fine.

When I was spitballing, with varying degrees of realism to fantasy in about this order - freo, (turbo) crossflow (but blowthrough problems) through to an LS or as per 5ORTED suggestion, a VH or VK (which are fucking wide and people who know more than me implied too difficult). By that stage, a lot of hacking, fucking around and custom fab.

Basically keeping eyes open for it and or more info but for the time being, happy to proceed down resto path.
    ah gotcha. i was kinda figuring there would be a later nissan engine that would fit, like a straight six of similar dimensions you could drop in and not suffer on the motorway so much. sounds like it's much more of a headfuck!

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    ah gotcha. i was kinda figuring there would be a later nissan engine that would fit, like a straight six of similar dimensions you could drop in and not suffer on the motorway so much. sounds like it's much more of a headfuck!
    If only. The two petrol sixes that followed immediately were l28 and p40, an upgrade of the p motor. Not great but better. Unfortunately they changed all the mounting points and it's different/difficult enough you'd beat another path.

Of all the options, weirdly, the Freo is actually about the most straightforward and doable but unfortunately still not and requires stumbling across the bits not attached to aforementioned pains in the arse treating them like super plans.

Will get a hold of it and on the road first before potentially ruining it at this point. Also replacing the split rims to for obvious reasons.

I'd vote either restore to factory and enjoy its period shortcomings or consider making rear drive and slotting in a Barra/auto combo.

people are so afraid of split rims.... just don't stand next to them when you pump them up no problem at all

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    I'd vote either restore to factory and enjoy its period shortcomings or consider making rear drive and slotting in a Barra/auto combo.
    Former, yep, where it's heading for the time being considering it has all the original bits, low ks and fired up without too much work after 20 years. + Sentimentality. Brakes are the only thing I'm pretty keen to do something about. Also, getting it registered and on the road before possibly pseudo-legal mods would be ideal.

Latter... Now that's a left of field option. I had considered seeing if the Barra could mate up to the crossflow adaptor plate but assumed it wouldn't and was thinking carb to keep any potential conversion a bit simpler. rwd though...

FYI for anyone interested, Marlin might know this, one of the many idiosyncrasies with this model is the transfer case. It's one of the main just different enough components to any other patrol to make box and engine conversions that much harder. iirc, it's the main reason the later model 4 & 5 sp boxes don't bolt straight up, different input shafts (and other more surmountable cross member and other reasons).

Can be done, dad's mate has a later box in one but bought it like that and doesn't know what was involved with the swap (again, there's info available but not specific, would just have to take it to a shop and cross your fingers). And as per any thought I have on the matter, the box/transfer case is the main hurdle and if you're going to faff about with the box...

Keeping it 4wd (and stock) is obviously plan A but thanks for the lateral input mate. Food for thought.

people are so afraid of split rims.... just don't stand next to them when you pump them up no problem at all
    Lol. I was ambivalent about them, in honesty, I know fark nothing about them except the internet says they're bad (and exploding tyres and bits of rim doesn't sound fun to be fair) but dad's made the decision. A few points he raised is they tend to heat up more (?) so if I am doing a long road trip in it, possibly in summer, that could be problems. And generally easier getting tubeless tyres, fitting them etc.

So, deferring to him on this one. And keen to generally make the whole thing a bit more user friendly where possible.

They didn't brake any worse than a 4 wheel drum equipped 'Cruiser of the period.

Refresh the brakes with wheel cylinders, machining, linings etc and enjoy. Disc conversion would screw the originality. In years to come drums will be marveled at

I vote restore to ridgy-didge. It's come too far without molestation to be denied that.

I really only floated the rear drive conversion idea as it would really simplify things. Of course there's a bazzillion engine and gearbox options that would suit it, and you could install pretty much any of them without butchering up the transfer etc... could leave all of that for another day.
    Last edited by Marlin; 29-06-16 at 11:59 AM.

Good on you for not wanting to hack it up. Some things should be kept stock.
    Carefully adjusting the drums all round makes a huge difference (I grew up with old cars).

If you do change the rims, go for a SLIGHTLY oversize tyre diameter.
    Something like 10% bigger will effectively give you an overdrive in third, and you should still be able to pull up hills.
    Lots of minis & mokes including a G13b powered Sports Sedan, a couple of Swift Gtis, a Goggomobil, 928S, Polo Gti, BMW 540i, a WRX and a Navara with the deadly ZD30

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    They didn't brake any worse than a 4 wheel drum equipped 'Cruiser of the period.

Refresh the brakes with wheel cylinders, machining, linings etc and enjoy. Disc conversion would screw the originality. In years to come drums will be marveled at

I vote restore to ridgy-didge. It's come too far without molestation to be denied that.

I really only floated the rear drive conversion idea as it would really simplify things. Of course there's a bazzillion engine and gearbox options that would suit it, and you could install pretty much any of them without butchering up the transfer etc... could leave all of that for another day.
    Name:  awesomobama.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  41.1 KB

Your input is welcome. Prior to embarking on the decision to do this, I was thinking about 80/100 series or early rangies and hacking them apart. Residual urge to mod is fading & being replaced by respect for originality (first time for everything, must be getting old!) and luckily coincides with getting it on the road cheaper (and at all) and camping.

IF this was a rusted busted arse heap of shit with a blown motor or box it'd be a no brainer. But it isn't and there's as many fourbies of that sort deserving that treatment as there aren't these stock and in good nick

The other thing is I was expecting there to be a dearth of parts. Not so as it turns out, there is a guy on fleabay that has been able to answer every request so there'll be a big order going his way to refresh a lot of the perished bits, just getting as much as possible on the list in one hit to bundle the postage.

Quote Originally Posted by awdmoke View Post
    Good on you for not wanting to hack it up. Some things should be kept stock.
    Carefully adjusting the drums all round makes a huge difference (I grew up with old cars).

If you do change the rims, go for a SLIGHTLY oversize tyre diameter.
    Something like 10% bigger will effectively give you an overdrive in third, and you should still be able to pull up hills.
    Yeh, that was about the outcome I was settling towards with the brakes too. Good learning experience and again, pretty much settled on originality, tidying it up and getting it sorted and on the road as cost effectively as possible.

That was another angle I forgot to mention with the tyres - having a bit more flexibility with a slight increase in size. I was thinking clearance but hadn't thought about it effectively dropping the gearing a bit. Nice one.

Interestingly, there is a guy that makes headers for these. An exhaust system is possibly the only mod that will wind up happening (besides winch and tyre swaps).

I also vote for keeping it bog stock.

With my Dad's I had all sorts of thoughts of V8 conversions and so on, but if I got my hands on it now it would be bought back to as close to original as possible, horrible 3 speed, motor and and split rims......

I really liked the aircon these had, the kick panel for the feet and the flipper vents under the screen, or with a soft top version, drop the screen.

This thread is bringing back heaps of memories of my Dad's one and the places we were taken to as kids through the Blue Mountains in it.

good luck with the brakes... they are a cunt... memory's of taking evasive action many times because the cunt of a thing would not pull up...

Quote Originally Posted by PXL265 View Post
    I also vote for keeping it bog stock.

With my Dad's I had all sorts of thoughts of V8 conversions and so on, but if I got my hands on it now it would be bought back to as close to original as possible, horrible 3 speed, motor and and split rims......

I really liked the aircon these had, the kick panel for the feet and the flipper vents under the screen, or with a soft top version, drop the screen.

This thread is bringing back heaps of memories of my Dad's one and the places we were taken to as kids through the Blue Mountains in it.
    Yeh, heh, I used to love the a/c. Likewise, the mammaries thing was obvious a big reason for doing this v a more capable/comfortable newer thing. If you ever got the urge, you never know, could be worth having a look for it... There's not a huge amount of them about, if it wasn't sold too long ago, you might be able to track it down.

I didn't give the split rims a second thought until dad had moved past that already and on the other hand, some slightly bigger chunky tyres won't go astray.

good luck with the brakes... they are a cunt... memory's of taking evasive action many times because the cunt of a thing would not pull up...
    Heh, yeh, I know... Another way I'm looking at it is baselining it all first and foremost. Further, since dad has gotten closer to semi-retired, knows his shit reasonably well and is happy to do all the straightforward replacement labour. Fabbing anything up will be out of his cbf zone and I'll be happy to cough up to get that sort of shit sorted if it's enough of an issue.

Also gives a bit of luxury of time to research it and possibly suss out a good shop who has experience with it if I decide to go that way. Not for now.

Woot!

Name:  fleabay2.png
Views: 193
Size:  146.5 KB

Name:  fleabay1.png
Views: 191
Size:  181.1 KB

And some other shit too.
    Last edited by darwinschops; 04-08-16 at 02:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by darwinschops View Post
    Woot!

Name:  fleabay2.png
Views: 193
Size:  146.5 KB

Name:  fleabay1.png
Views: 191
Size:  181.1 KB

And some other shit too.

Holy fuck... I've never seen that one before and ten times through I'm still laughing... Twelve. Fkn lol. Bravo.

Despite it all it took a solid month to go this way v any other. After the first sphincter clencher reckon I might look into the bigger booster option (hence no new one yet seems the most straight forward thought still possibly with a bit of cutting)

Sent from my GT-S7275Y using Tapatalk

I'd find a way to put discs on the front at least! should be able to retrofit some MQ pootroll stuff with some brackets i'd guess.

Nah, keep it all wheel drum......
    Nothing like living dangerously at the ridiculously slow speeds the thing will go at. My dad's cruised at best at 90km/h on the highway, and from memory I wound it out to 130km/h absolutely flat out down hill and you could watch the fuel gauge plummet at the time.

When I get back to Aus for any length of time I may have to look for one of these, this thread has bought back all sorts of nostalgia for me and an old G60 Pootrol woould look good in the street at home.

Eh, for better or worse, it'll be drums and 100% stock renewal for the time being.

Incidentally and ironically, coming full circle from the start of the thread, Canadia has opened their skilled worker program to Pharms again... Which is bloody vexing as I'm really enjoying Tas now. But, it renews incentive to get this done cheaply to keep funds available.

Anywho, something to mull over and in the meantime, this'll keep slowly happening!

And get into it PXL, there's still a surprising number of them available at reasonable enough prices as I found looking for parts.

You'll be no doubt amazed to find out for 70s datsuns, rust is omnipresent...

And god damn TRD, you get the gif of the week trophy call. Going to laugh whenever I open this thread now.

Oh yeah, I know abut rust and shit box datsuns having owned several models over the years.........

Dad's pootrol was getting rust cut out of it after about 5 years of ownership, thankfully most of it was in the shitty canopy that Capitol motors threw on them back in the day.

And made the mistake of having a quick look on scumtree, ebay and carsales. Now to find a stock '77 LWB in dark green with a white canopy........

Bumping this because there's a g60 pootrol for sale for $600 on the down under datsuns FB page if you need parts

Cheers. After a couple of minutes, I realised I don't facebook and that the flying box has a wad of parts and good to go there as far as I know. And accumulating any more not working patrols probably isn't ideal...

I should also prod the old man in to doing a bit more of the work. No rush anyway as no openings to take the slow drive down any time soon.

LS7 Prius = Proper HYBRID Walt Kowalski's Avatar
    Great thread. Dunno how I missed it. If I scored it I'd probably put the body on a late model Chassis or keep it stock and put it on historic $60pa rego. Either way you have a winner and the sentimental value is priceless. Thanks for sharing.
    Logical debate beats name calling any day. My Badges Of Honour so far in PF: Racist, Bigot, Islamaphobe, Numpty, Moron, Far Right Wing Nationalist, Far Fight Wing Fascist, "raving fucking lunatic", "dumb" & climate "denier". AND they are just SOME of the pathetic tags that I've been labelled by SOME here. HINT: Those labels are signs that the accusers have lost to logical debate.

Maybe it's time for them to check some facts. Here's a good starting point: http://www.mostdamagingwikileaks.com

Quote Originally Posted by PXL265 View Post
    Oh yeah, I know abut rust and shit box datsuns having owned several models over the years.........

Dad's pootrol was getting rust cut out of it after about 5 years of ownership, thankfully most of it was in the shitty canopy that Capitol motors threw on them back in the day.

And made the mistake of having a quick look on scumtree, ebay and carsales. Now to find a stock '77 LWB in dark green with a white canopy........
    Hah. Rotsuns/Rustuns...

And assuming you're keen on giving in to temptation/stupid... No need to complicate matters by looking for colours. Couple of rattlecans later and it'll have that right shitty accelerated patina/crappy paint look that goes so well with them and most'll be in need of that special supercheap treatment by now anyway.

No worries Walt. Have made inquiry about club rego here, cross that bridge later!

And old man being evasive about progress. Will crack whip.

Thanks for updating the thread and putting the though back into my brain.

just another thing to look for when I get home in December, now to work out where to keep it as the garage is full and the driveway starting to fill up....

That's surely a problem for future PXL to resolve. Present PXL need only look for gloriously rubbish old unnecessary manboxes...

Good old future self. They normally solve problems pretty well.

I'm sure that future me will resolve any problems as they arise by making even more poor life decisions......

As one cannot have too many shitboxes in their life