Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rally Rolla.

Rally Rolla.

The rally team has had the same sponsor in South Australia for a few years now, and we have had the Mazda out there presenting it well and receiving good feedback. It is up for sale if you are interested. The Nopics would really like to keep it.

We got some TV coverage at the first round of the 2013 ARC. Albeit supposedly representing the Golden Years of Rallying.

On presenting our case for the 2013 season to our sponsor, instead of being offered cash, we were offered a car.

The Sponsor is also interested in setting up his office run arounds in a similar scheme to that of the rally car. It would see the car out at shopping centres etc giving that little bit of extra exposure, and really we could not say no. Could we.......

We have asked CAMS for approval of an engine swap to allow a 2ZZ-GE into a ZRE-152 Corolla in place of it's asthmatic relative. It was in the previous model Sportivo, so Fingers crossed. I do not think they would allow the Beams motor.

With that in mind I present our donor car......

Sturgeon's Revelation (sometimes referred to as his second law): Ninety percent of everything is CRAP

Can't wait to see the build.

G2 or prc? Any chance he could swap for a yaris? Pretty big for a fwd rally car I would have thought.

Still should be good. A fully prepped one sold up this way for about 18k just recently. I think the bloke that bought it was looking at selling it to. Mate did some testing with the new owner and said it was half ok for a fwd prc car.

What's your plan for the gearbox?

I would have thought G2 with the engine swap. Although reading wiki, it might be ok under PRC (lets hope so!)

Wiki also said: Even the briefest period of oil starvation is usually fatal to this engine design, together with a picture of an oil pump in pieces.

Glad you didn't bring the mazda over to forest rally, both those competing failed with gearbox issues.

Hope you can get it to minimum weight!

Top work Smee!

We need to build the car so it can compete in state championships. Currently G2 is not allowed.
    Also, I do not have the money to throw at building a G2 car, so PRC it is. G2 I think would have allowed the Beams Motor.
    Building this model Corolla, may entice other people to look at building one and build up the fields again.
    I recall Mick Ryan saying he should have looked at the Mazda 3 instead of the Mazda 2 for his G2 car.

There is a bit of knowledge around in regards the 2ZZ we want to put in. If it is approved, I will look to Mr T for some engine advice.
    Neal Bates has done work with the shell previously, so looking at his build or homologation papers may make it easier for me. I do like the cage in his S2000 cars.
    Suspension is already sorted from MCA, and I have a stack of wheels that will fit.

I have seen a sequential gearbox available in the states for the 2zz motor. Before we look at that, I think it will be standard with an LSD and see how we go.

As for those Mazda's, I should be selling them the gearbox mod. At least I finish events....
    Sturgeon's Revelation (sometimes referred to as his second law): Ninety percent of everything is CRAP

Quote Originally Posted by smee View Post
    We have asked CAMS for approval of an engine swap to allow a 2ZZ-GE into a ZRE-152 Corolla in place of it's asthmatic relative. It was in the previous model Sportivo, so Fingers crossed. I do not think they would allow the Beams motor.
    Swap guidelines state engine must have been manufacturered pre 1986 to be eligible for a swap (unless CAMS says OK). If CAMS is going to play by it's own policy intent- to allow replacement of old engines for which parts are NLA with ones that are equivalent in performance, then they'll reject this, and say if you want a 2ZZ get the previous model, or build a CRC or a G2 car- there is no real justification for allowing it. However knowing ARCOM they'll say OK to this, but reject something more in line with the intent of the rule!

In which case I'd suggest to your sponsor you sell it, and buy the 2ZZ engined rally car that is currnetly for sale, do some work on and it you'll be ahead 10 K at least.

1998 MX5 - Ohlins DFV coilovers, Roll bar,15 x7.5 Konig Litespeeds, Mania Intake
    2014 Colorado LT - Oversized Whitegoods. Kid/bike/track hack/horse hauler.

Try and get g2 approved for state would be the go. Racing no one in p3 doesn't sound that fun. At least with g2 you could a little crazy with the build and not get smoked by datsuns all day. Tbh that always been my issue with a medium cost fwd build. No matter what unless you spend big dollars I know I could have spent 20k on a Datsun and have a more reliable, faster and more fun car.

G2 or r3 on the other hand, would have one anyday of the week!

Quote Originally Posted by Teamgemini View Post
    Try and get g2 approved for state would be the go.
    surely this is the go, and makes logical sense- G2 cars have to trickle down to state level, Although, and I haven't checked, but I wonder if they'd meet the definition of CRC anyway.....

Look at coppin in the R2 fiesta - unless you're a rally god like Elfyn, and who was clearly trying very hard in canberra, there is no way an R2 car or equiv is ever going to be competitive against the G2 hondas, polos and R3 renaults or monkhouse/orders in the turbo RWD PRC cars on Australian stages.

1998 MX5 - Ohlins DFV coilovers, Roll bar,15 x7.5 Konig Litespeeds, Mania Intake

Rowds, looking for a clubman type car, not an outright contender.

Will wait to see what Arcom come back with.
    They have a meeting in a couple of weeks, but with Targa on, the engine approval info may take a little longer in getting out to people.

If no engine change, then it is not worth converting the car. No money or desire to create a G2 car from my side of the fence.

then convince sponsor to sell this off, buy that sportivo , put stickers on, and the job is done, no ARCOM hassle, no delays, rally SA here you come etc etc..

but then I know that the build is a significant proportion of the enjoyment for you, so I can understand perhaps why you'd want to go another way to me...

Good luck with arcom! Is the motor in it now really that big an issue to overcome?

On the other side is there a big push in sa to go 2wd? Might be better just sticking with the Mazda? Racing against no-one isn't very fun, if it was you just buy a P1 car and win all day. In fact because of the stupid fucking rule changes in nsw that would make you state champ. You want to hope they don't bring that crap in over in SA.

Quote Originally Posted by Teamgemini View Post
    Good luck with arcom! Is the motor in it now really that big an issue to overcome?

On the other side is there a big push in sa to go 2wd? Might be better just sticking with the Mazda? Racing against no-one isn't very fun, if it was you just buy a P1 car and win all day. In fact because of the stupid fucking rule changes in nsw that would make you state champ. You want to hope they don't bring that crap in over in SA.
    Engine is a 2ZR-FE in car and not the best.
    Would be going where not too many have gone in trying to extract power.

With regards SA moving to 2wd. They have this year introduced a 2wd trophy for the SARC.
    So, getting a reasonable 2wd car out there may see a market for it in a few years, and I can move on to the next car. (electric hybrid ????)

There are probably 10 people in P3 this year ranging from 1600 right through to 1 series BMW....

And so it begins.

Excerpt from ARCOM dealings.

Agreeing engine substitution requests for Production Rally Cars for Holden HQ/HZ (350 Chevrolet), Toyota Corolla (2ZZ-GE), Ford Capri Perana (363 Windsor)

Quote Originally Posted by smee View Post
    And so it begins.

Excerpt from ARCOM dealings.

Agreeing engine substitution requests for Production Rally Cars for Holden HQ/HZ (350 Chevrolet), Toyota Corolla (2ZZ-GE), Ford Capri Perana (363 Windsor)
    Nice

The Perana one is truly odd given its not a factory capacity so far as i can tell

Good news! I might submit a couple of oddball combinations and see what gets approved.

And still they see it's pointless to put a 4age in a ke70 under prc.

Thanks cams!
    Fist Pumpin like Champs!

Very very interested to see how this pans out - very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by mc68 View Post
    And still they see it's pointless to put a 4age in a ke70 under prc.

Thanks cams!
    this!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdyno
    70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripper
    Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

More good news.
    I had a phone call on Sunday 9th June from an engine builder.

The Corolla will now encase a Neil Trama built engine.

This has solved a number of issues. Sourcing a ZZ engine and then the parts and maching to bring it to fruition.

Now to source the ECU. Saving some dollars to go down the Motec route.

Happy Dance.

Excellent choice look forward to seeing what it makes when its done.

Quote Originally Posted by rowdytoot View Post
    Excellent choice look forward to seeing what it makes when its done.
    big decel flames out the back
    funny one liner here / link to my car/s

Quote Originally Posted by damian View Post
    big decel flames out the back
    :thumbup:

Gravel Rims and Murray Flex ordered.

Also got a good deal on some 18 inch OZ Racing tarmac rims.

And so it begins.

Night ones handy work. Had been in the driveway less than 2 hours.

And then day one the clean up of all the road grime and crap begins.

After taking out a trailer load of interior bits, the car sits an inch higher.

Found that it has run over something fairly big which has pushed the front panels back slightly on the Navs side. This also explains why the bonnet needed a screwdriver to open it. No problems in future as bonnet pins will replace bonnet release. It has also impacted the drivers side

Looked at the acreage of dashtop. A quick trip to spotlight for some felt will make it look good and stop a serious amount of glare on the screen.

Discussions in regards where the bonnet ends and thoughts have turned to sticking those Japanese marker sticks on. Maybe I can get some LEDs and have them light up for night stages.

I have noted that car construction over the last 20 years has changed. Now it is all clips and glue. Gone are the little screws and overlapping. Also gone is the overzealous use of tar. In its place we see polystyrene and shed loads of sound mat. Do not rely on holding on to the overhead handles. They are not screwed to the roof rails. The use a press in wedge. Dodgy.

Next step to remove excess metal braces and 2 of the 3 firewalls.

Interesting times ahead.

So laid into the car over the weekend for a little bit.
    Noted how much weight can be taken out of the thing even without trying.
    May need to make up a couple of alloy brackets to support the wipers etc.
    A custom radiator and overflow tank will sort out the cooling and replace the 3 litre tank and too many hoses in the engine bay.

Need to look at getting power steering fitted. Currently has electronic and the controllers are huge.

Found the source of the weird smell in the cabin. Seems there may be a refrigerant leak from the aircon.

Quote Originally Posted by rowdytoot View Post
    Nice

The Perana one is truly odd given its not a factory capacity so far as i can tell
    I reckon its probably a .060" overbore on a 351... But yeah, weird.

2ZZ is an impressive donk for what it is! Would the quaife sequential be the one you looked at? That's a popular choice for a lot of lotus people who whack them in their exiges. Fairly well priced too.

Quote Originally Posted by spiller View Post
    2ZZ is an impressive donk for what it is! Would the quaife sequential be the one you looked at? That's a popular choice for a lot of lotus people who whack them in their exiges. Fairly well priced too.
    Was on the monkey wrench site, so not sure.
    There is a Swedish mob that do a nice box sequential and standard.
    Could always go Cosworth.

ZZ motor has been built, and is attached to an lsd box, just have to finalise payment and pick it up.