Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Electric turbo?

Now with more ebay parts. 2JZR31's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gmh265 View Post
    This electric turbo thing will never work! wait, wat?
    Yeah they said it has been tried in the past but caused a loss in economy, due to the alternator drive losses. But now with regen braking its OK.

Bill, that is intderdesting. I saw it on RCgroups. It appears to an electric turbo/SC and alternator in one, but the compressor part is only electrically coupled rather than mechanically coupled. Looks like coolant hoses coming off it?

I have received info on a 3.5kw motor that will do 50-60K rpm @ 12V. Wiring would be huge
    Last edited by 2JZR31; 12-06-13 at 11:03 AM.
    10.83 @ 125

Quickest stock exhaust manifold stud 2JZ in Aus.

Quote Originally Posted by cracka View Post
    Some conclusions empirically were that a large protruding ridge like a prolapsed arsehole around the runner was largely beneficial.

This idea has been taking off in the aftermarket and in production vehicles. Seems my favourite application as a compound boosting device with a real turbo to reduce lag is a common application. Someone needs to explain to them the Emotor is better connected to the crankshaft.

https://www.facebook.com/eturbocharger/

Last edited by 2JZR31; 01-05-17 at 12:43 PM.
    10.83 @ 125

Some conclusions empirically were that a large protruding ridge like a prolapsed arsehole around the runner was largely beneficial.

wow, the wheel trim on the e-booster compressor is very low. (if video is to be believed)

I guess its only used at low mass flows to bring the turbine up earlier and wouldn't be very useful during transient throttle at high rpms. so its more to lower the boost threshold rather than improve lag (as its operating as a sequential twin effectively, without having to divide the exhaust energy.
    Last edited by burn is weird; 02-05-17 at 06:17 PM.

Oo___oO

F1 has already been here and tested this idea and thought joining a motor to the actual turbo is a better idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_fahrquhar View Post
    The au put the fucking tunnel in with the bullbar. Even Chuck Norris respects the ability of the au coon.

F1 is controlled by rules more than what is the best way to do x
    "And I know that arseholes grow on trees but I'm here to trim the leaves" Peeping Tom, Mike Patton

Quote Originally Posted by pH@tTm@N View Post
    F1 is controlled by rules more than what is the best way to do x
    Yea that is true but it is still best way to do X in this regard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_fahrquhar View Post
    The au put the fucking tunnel in with the bullbar. Even Chuck Norris respects the ability of the au coon.

I look forward to your hypothesis as to why that is

Oo___oO

Quote Originally Posted by burn is weird View Post
    wow, the wheel trim on the e-booster compressor is very low. (if video is to be believed)

I guess its only used at low mass flows to bring the turbine up earlier and wouldn't be very useful during transient throttle at high rpms. so its more to lower the boost threshold rather than improve lag (as its operating as a sequential twin effectively, without having to divide the exhaust energy.
    By "lag" I meant boost threshold. That's what seems to actually matter more than "lag" and the term is kind of used interchangeably. So yeah, it works in the way you describe. It will bring the real turbo on faster, but it makes actual boost in and of its own which increases power before the real turbo comes on. Thats the real aim of it...

This has advantages over putting a motor on an actual turbo. I think thats awesome too. But this way means a much smaller cheaper motor and compressor can be used and it wont surge when making boost at really low revs unlike forcing a big turbo to do that. But the motor on a real turbo could replace the alternator too. Its a really cool idea for sure.
    10.83 @ 125