Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1998 Corolla Levin BZR

1998 Corolla Levin BZR

With my other cars being a slightly thirsty 4.8 Petrol GU Patrol and slightly OTT Soarer with big wide wheels and driving to work everyday in the CBD, I decided to get a cheap little 4cyl runabout instead, but still wanted it to have a little bit of "something" about it and be track-able on weekends. So this is what I found:

1998 Corolla Levin BZR. They've got the blacktop 4AGE 20v with (an optimistic) 122kw @7800rpm. 5 valve per cylinder, quad throttle bodies, VVT, 6spd, LSD (Torsen I assume, knowing Toyota), and "SuperStrut" suspension. Which appears to be Japanese for "wears out quickly and costs a fortune". It's got some sort of lowering springs in it but otherwise standard apart from a K&N panel filter - fwoar!

It came with the presumably fake wheels badly resprayed in rattle can white over the factory white on one side, and plastidip bronze on the other, over the top of all that other paint. I spent most of the weekend paint-stripping the buggers, and testing my patience... I was going to paint them silver, but they look alright in their raw alloy finish.

At 1080kg, the lack-of-power to weight ratio is surprisingly similar to the V6 MR2 I owned briefly last year, so it should be capable of reasonably respectable times. It will only get light mods like most of my cars, to tweak it for better lap times. I assume the usual bigger rear swaybar, probably a set of coilovers later, maybe an exhaust but I really don't want to turn it into too much of a buzz box... I'll more than likely throw the race seat in there too. The stock seats are reasonable supportive, but proper seats make such a difference on the track and tend to give you more head-room for the helmet.

A mate had a pretty good dig at this poor little thing on my facebook page, so the main goal is to match his 3076 turbo'd R33's time of 51.0 at Mt Cotton haha
    I think it should just about be able to get there if the gearing suits the place, and on paper that looks OK. It might take a few suspension tweaks and stuff, but that's the fun part anyway. I've already signed up for a track day with the MX5 Club at Lakeside. Would be nice if it goes somewhere near the MR2's time of 63.5, but I have no real idea - I've barely driven it yet.

I wanted one of these so badly around 2001 - they're still pretty cool!

Why do they even make fake RPF01s? They're all of $800 a set anyway.

They are cool, well done man!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Property Guru
    don't haemophrodites generally have tiny wangs?
    Quote Originally Posted by oxy View Post
    No, that's asians
    A80 Supra
    80 Landcruiser

Wannabe internet expert
    These are very cool . Good score, I definitely wouldn't mind one for myself.

In response to your post in the Soarer thread, you could always strip it out and make more of a dedicated track car. But I guess Soarers aren't really built for that though.

mad jelly - always wanted one of these. GL!

ah a blacktop 4AGE in it's pre-donor-engine form

Nice do like...

1998 MX5 - Ohlins DFV coilovers, Roll bar,15 x7.5 Konig Litespeeds, Mania Intake
    2014 Colorado LT - Oversized Whitegoods. Kid/bike/track hack/horse hauler.

Have punted a couple over the years from port to import yard.

Good fun if not brutally fast.
    #teamtremolo
    Quote Originally Posted by brasher
    TJ is 99% African American.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy View Post
    And i'd still fuck Betty....

What sort of coin do these things go for these days? Haven't seen one in so long to know!
    Daily - 1991 Corolla SX
    Project shitheap - 1988 Pulsar SVD with tarbo
    Project Lessshit - 1988 HR31 Skyline GTS-X

Cheers. It's not the most exciting car and I've never really been a fwd fan, but they are kinda cool, or at least quirky. This is the first bum dragger I've ever owned actually.

And because every car needs 2 sets of wheels...

There's no question over whether these are fake - says they're forged right there on the wheels! lol Street rubber will go on these and the Enkeis for the track.

Likes this more than I thought I would.. Cool car.

Not being a particularly knowledgable guy on Kate 90's toyotas I always wondered what these were. Impressed.
    Very cool little car indeed.

I used to have one. Underrated cars.

"The rest of the world should just give up and leave car manufacturing to the Japanese and Germans ." anonymous

I like the idea of these things. Look forward to seeing how you get on and your general review of the thing

If your mate only has a 3076 on his skyline clearly he's already a poofter.

Nice pick up, I like cars that are left of centre and fly under the radar of the usual import scene.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimi View Post
    80mm of penetration isn't bad, i wish i had that much.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnitzelburger View Post
    My entire working career pretty much consists of suckin dick and takin names.

Sometimes im too busy to take names.

New wheels fitted up. Just sensible widths/offset for the daily driver. Nankang semis are on the Enkeis.

Took it for a little drive as well. Seems to get through the twisty stuff pretty quickly, even on the cheapo Windforce tyres its got. Doesn't feel too soft either, but it might be a different story on the semis at Lakeside.
    Last edited by hrd; 28-01-17 at 11:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hrd View Post
    New wheels fitted up. Just sensible widths/offset for the daily driver.

Seems to get through the twisty stuff pretty quickly,
    They look great with those wheels. I found them to be an excellent handling car (light years in superiority to the rubbish AE92 SX's) and I understand that the less myopic Honda Integra DC2R drivers concede the BZR to have the edge on handling........

"The rest of the world should just give up and leave car manufacturing to the Japanese and Germans ." anonymous

It always amazes me how members on here find good examples of the most bizarre, rare as rocking horse shit cars.

Nice find mate.

Well, I took it to Lakeside yesterday after changing the timing belt and radiator on the weekend. It wasn't real fast but maybe I was hoping for a bit too much from something with no suspension setup to speak of. It handles very well on the mountains on normal street tyres, but it's not well suited to track work. Stock shocks with just lowering coils that aren't exactly low or even that firm, and no front camber. It understeers pretty badly on the limit with the semis on.

I got it down to a 1:05.8 after starting to get the hang of trail braking hard into Karussel and Hungry, but even then the corner speeds were lower than the big heavy Soarer. The left foot braking practice with the auto Soarer came in very handy at Hungry where there was no need to downshift. I was using 3rd there in the first couple of sessions, but ended up staying in 4th on the faster sessions - mainly due to it keeping the left foot free to trail brake. I'm sure there's a bit more time in it the way it is for someone with more experience with ultra-aggressive trail braking.

There doesn't seem to be much you can do to increase neg camber on the super strut front end, so I might have to look into swapping normal Corolla front end and coilovers. In the meantime, a big rear swaybar should be a big help. I've only found one 1mm bigger than standard so far, but that's about 25% stiffer so it might be worth getting if nothing else turns up.

I was going to do a quick vid of its best lap, but you can't even hear the engine on the camera with the stock exhaust. That will have to go as well. Might pick up a couple of hp there too if the cat's a bit clogged up.I've got a hillclimb in a few weeks time. It's much lower speed, so the soft springs and lack of camber won't hurt as much there. I might see about doing an exhaust for it before then.

good cars and pretty cheap these days - wish they came with a 1.8 or 2.0 for some more torque but like to rev

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    good cars and pretty cheap these days - wish they came with a 1.8 or 2.0 for some more torque but like to rev
    A stroker kit to make a 7AGE or a 7AFE with the blacktop head will work wonders.

lowered it a bit this morning

It stiffened up the springs alot and now had a coupl eo degrees camber in the front, so it might make some difference to lap times. I also gave it a bit less rear toe-in.
    Might fix that dent in the front guard one day.
    Last edited by hrd; 22-02-17 at 02:17 PM.

went better than expected at Mt Cotton on the weekend. Got down to a 50.38 - won the class by almost 4 seconds over an older Corolla with 100kw 4AGE - less power but also less weight and he's removed air con and things. It beat all the larger capacity Production Road Reg class cars too. Handles awesome now after the lowering and rear toe change, but the rear semis scrape just a little bit. I'll soon fix that.

Next round is in just 3 weeks time. I was planning on taking the Soarer, but now I'm thinking I might have to try something to get this little jigger to break the 50sec barrier instead
    Last edited by hrd; 01-03-17 at 10:01 AM.

Would love one of these for driving to work and show days.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

ummm, that thing looks fucking rapid at mt cotton for what it is. holy shit

dbl post

yeah, it gets around there surprisingly well. Corner speeds are very good.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_3154.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	391.3 KB 
ID:	98233
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	levin1.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	116.1 KB 
ID:	98234

How long till you sell this?