Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big black family truck

Big black family truck

09 Navara D40 dual cab - kids got bigger, SS sux for weekends away, carting bikes, carting shit in general etc. Hoon laws & my lack of restraint mean it's kinda pointless and/or a bad idea to have anything with any real grunt - can't use it anyway & if you do you get locked up & treated like a murderer.

SFA regular ute based dual cabs around, the ones that there are suck badly, so had to be a 4x4 (or a 4x2 that looks like a 4x4), figured it may as well be a proper 4x4.

So, 54,000 on the clock, 1 owner that ticked a lot of option boxes & spent way too much on a ute but did me a big favour - all genuine accessories: nudge bar, 'sports' bar, tow bar, hard lid, rubber mats, 6 stacker with mp3 input etc etc.
    Nice set of CSA 18" wheels & bridgestone duelers are the only deviations from stock.
    Country ute - from Berri, got traded on a new Jeep.

My boys love it, youngest calls it dads 'Big Black Truck'

Drives much better than I expected, comfy on the highway, plenty of grunt for a dead stock 2.5 turbo diesel, can be loaded up with more shit than we could use on a 4 day weekend.

Pretty happy with it, put about 600k's on it over the long weekend & couldn't fault it other than parking being a bit of a bitch.

Plans for it are limited to maybe get rid of the DPF & get an exhaust & retune, better shocks & springs when the originals get tired & maybe get a canopy for bigger trips, other than that it'll stay stock:

Exhaust and retune

Love it. Good work Tony.

Really is becoming less and less realistic to bother with a high performance daily sadly. My misses is still pushing for a family wagon with 200+kw though

Im thinking old school fast (so not really fast) to get my kicks in the next few months. Don't need to be going that quick as long as it feels like you are
    Last edited by Cplus; 11-06-13 at 10:02 AM.
    Public Service Reminder

Quote Originally Posted by boostin31 View Post
    I once 1/2 filled a powerade bottle with piss at a daft punk concert then launched it. I doubt the person on the receiving end even knew what hit them though.

Yeah, when I can be fucked building something I'll most likley build my rod (A chassis, T roadster body) that I've had stashed away for 20 years, powered by a noisy but slowish flathead.
    Something loud, low & cool to cruise in, but doesn't have to be fast.

I so wish I could edit thread titles...............

"Big Black Family ##ck"
    Adjustable cam gears for 1FZ-FE now ready for sale - 10 degrees advance/10 degrees retard. Suitable for all variants of 1FZ-FE.

(adjustable scissor gear for changing separation angle between the intake and exhaust cams coming soon)

International sales welcome - PM me for pricing.

Have changing clutches in the damn thing if towing serious trailers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carroll Smith
    The price of Man in motion is the occasional collision.
    Royalpurple Oils

Not 100% on the rims but they respond nicely to a tune for sure!

Yeah, rims are only ok - better than the stockers but not what I'd choose.

F|sh - auto, no clutch to fuck up.

Whoever programmed the auto trans knew what they were doing, downhill on the brakes it'll downshift for engine braking, does the same thing with cruise control on to hold speed downhill - clever little bastards.
    Methinks manual cogbox's are pretty close to obsolete, they got the converter just right - it's around 2000rpm, enough to get on boost very quickly, it's almost seamless like an NA engine.

How much did you pay if you dont mind me asking? Im in the market for a late model 4x4, been looking at the rangers and bt50s, even considering a colorado with the duramax in it. But been hearing of alot of dramas with the navaras which is turning me off them...

There are literally fuckloads of the things around - I saw about 4 on my way to work this morning at 6.45.
    There have been a few problems, but that'll happen when shitloads of em get sold, it's mostly clutches, but there is the timing chain issue - I'll keep an ear out, sounds fine now with 54,000 on it.

Dealer wanted $37k + onroads, they must have been slow coz I lowballed at $30k & made it clear it was $30k on road & not a cent more or I'd walk, got it for $30k on the road & in my name.

That's an awesome lowball. Good job!

Holy fuck you did alright! I think im gunna wait till all the dealers do their EOFY sales and go in with some lowballs!

Do it nowish, they have bucketloads of trade ins from guys buying new utes for work/tax at the moment - have your finance pre-approved & go in with solid offers, let them know you have the $ ready to go & you will buy if the price is right - but there are plnety of others for you to look at & you're more than happy to walk.
    A 'right now' sale makes them pretty negotiable.

I came here expecting this............... but got 'Sepo'd'

fuck me, nice work TK! i reckon the hard lid will give you the shits after a while, i've got a canopy on mine and it makes the tray so much more useful/easier to access. the kids start giving you the shits, pop them in the back
    '71 BMW 2002 - restoration
    '14 Colorado 4x4 dual cab - reliability

Quote Originally Posted by Marv
    my cuts look like they're done by Michael J Fox using a grinder on the end of a pool noodle

new soft tonneau for this is the goods, hard lids be fucked
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbo Yoda
    I <3 Hamster

I kinda like the hard lid - just like a massive boot.

If I can get 3x BMX's in there with the hard lid on it'll stay for day to day stuff - handy having a weather proof tray for chucking shit in.

I'll get a canopy for bigger trips away - few bolts is all it takes to get the hard lid off completely, to just remove the lid itself it's 2x pins & 2x clips then it lifts off for getting tall shit in.

you can fit in heaps more dead derro credit card thieving cunts with a canopy too. win win.
    '71 BMW 2002 - restoration
    '14 Colorado 4x4 dual cab - reliability

Quote Originally Posted by Marv
    my cuts look like they're done by Michael J Fox using a grinder on the end of a pool noodle

I optioned my 550 with a factory soft cover, fuck hard lids! Decided to leave it off and run an army weatherproof in the front half thats lockable and locked to the car. In tyhat I carry all my tow straps, oils, rag, jumper leads etc.... I just love the practicality of the dual cab - the rear seat area in the Navaras is genius, seats either up or folded down... for me its a huge dry storage area.
    I love Navs, they're flippin good units. Plenty of mates have them and ALL have had a good run from them.
    I'm gradually decking mine out. De-chromed so far, and new bar fitted yesterday.

Last edited by Marlin; 13-06-13 at 03:25 PM.

^^^ Nice plate. Dechroming FTW. Black rear bar looks tits. Cant beat the panda spec look of crisp black white car.... or black on black.

Loves the french Carlos the Jackal's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by darkside View Post
    ^^^ Nice plate. Dechroming FTW. Black rear bar looks tits. Cant beat the panda spec look of crisp black white car.... or black on black.
    +1, good work on the plate
    i hate french cunts

Tony, FYI. I just did my first one of these & after viewing what's under the covers I can highly recommend looking at upgrading the chains. Read this link it is rather interesting, I used one of his kits and can highly recommend him for quality & service.
    http://yd25.com.au/
    From 525hp Cressida to 2.7kw 50cc Scooter of fury...........Same same really!

Cheers, I'll look at doing the chains when it gets closer to 80,000K's, or when I've got spare time (LOL).

Fuck doing the chains!! I would only look at doing them when they start to get noisy on cold start. The chains are common to get noisy and extreme cases do fail, but not after driving it for a long time after they are noisy. They are not a small job.

How often are these things supposed to do a DPF burn?

Done 3000K's of mostly city/80k zone driving & it has never lit up the DPF light - begining to think someone has saved me the hassle & knocked the guts out of the DPF (it's still there, no delete pipe).

If worried just take it for a hard drive on the hwy.

doesn't the light only come on if it gets clogged becuase it never gets hot enough to burn off?

that is to say if its not coming on, then its doing its job just fine and you don't have to worry?
    Quote Originally Posted by myshortyboomba View Post
    I've had many gauges in cars. I always found the conrods react faster than a gauge.

you can always hear them when they break and they stop the engine immediately so you can't do any more damage.

Mine's never come on.

I never saw it come on in 5 years of R51 Pathfinder ownership (and yes it was Diesel!)
    1978 Opel Manta SR Berlinetta 1UZFE - Project
    2013 Opel Insignia OPC - Daily
    2011 Hyundai iLoad - Work
    2015 Skoda Octavia Scout premium 132TSI - Mrs

This got a couple of little mods this morning, it was due for a service & new air cleaner so I did that 1st.
    Had a really annoying rattle in the air box that was getting worse, so I pulled it off & had a look, all the plastic pipes were loose & rattling around so I pulled it all apart, ditched the intake noise baffle & glued it all back together with grey sealant & drilled a hole to add a zip tie to the top plastic hose - all fixed, back to nice & quiet with a bit more induction roar.
    Also blanked off the EGR valve coz I hate those stupid things, blanking it is supposed to improve economy a bit & reduce turbo lag, haven't driven it far enough to confirm either, but I don't like feeding an engine it's own shit anyway.

X force does a full turbo back exhaust for $650 posted on ebay.. good chance to get rid of the dpf.