Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tt ve ssv

Tt ve ssv

finally organised enough pics to warrant some sort of build thread

after much learning curve funtime, i decided, with a bit of thought, i was the sort of person that liked throwing money at cars and seeing what happens. and if you're going to do it, there is some sort of zen-zone of cost effectiveness, painful curiosity and ridiculous speed that turbo and v8 occupy.

so that's what this project became about. and weirdly, having found a decent workshop, they're proceeding to get it done under budget with less fuss then thought so far. fingers crossed. was a hard decision, had considered abandoning the TTness after a lot of obstacles but when i thought about it, the choice was sort of obvious...

car: ve ssv
    auto L98

engine bits
    - fast injectors - good for turbos, won't interfere with trip readout too much
    - valve springs 918's (i think)
    - new heater hose, tr6 plugs, assorted pulleys, belts
    - flash harmonic balancer

rest of car
    - ase twin in tank pump inc. rewire

- trans cooler

twin turbo system
    - base - gentt
    - new - turbos (3071's), braided lines, fittings, silicone bends, clamps
    - intercooler
    - 8 psi actuators
    - new scavenger pump
    - AFR gauge
    - good boost friendly 3->3.5->3" (heh, again, i think...) cats
    - new dump pipe to be fabricated, air intake to be threaded through, leads
    - also up for new boost gauge, ase header tank and wiper reservoir too i think

to be done - above, tune, skids. within 6 months, new brakes, mayhaps new rims. paint cooler black. eh, so lazy.

rest pretty standard. will chuck up in a couple of posts to keep some sort of order. first are some pics of moo and first stage where most of basic motor stuff was done. obligatory poor res/lighting camera phone also exclusively used.

has take a while to get to here and find a workshop that i was happy to finish the job. have discussed a lot of it as I've gone on here and with quite a few other people so far. these guys have done a really good job fitting it together and are happy with how it's looking. will field any queries, explain as i go.

cheers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image271.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	251.5 KB 
ID:	51675  

intercooler dummied up, trans cooler on top, intercooler plumbed in, piping inside wheel arch

turbo with old super size comp housing (replaced with max sized for ve), misc bits that went in

in situ, shiny new lines everywhere. scavenger pump tucked away. sit's very cosily.

Name:	Image015.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	442.3 KB 
ID:	51683  

close turbo and cooler shots. mechanic currently away a few days. will look to get together (dump pipes, intake) last bits + tune in next few weeks.

Subscribed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Billzilla View Post
    Remember - Ignorance in the true sense of the word does not equal stupidity.
    Wilful ignorance does though.

Farcanal... keep the subtle but brutal look mate, scare a lot of people

| 1963 RK43 Toyota Lite-Stout (Stanley) | 2002 EC5W Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4 Type-S (Larry) |

Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    PF - We're not happy till you're not happy.

Cool hoist, I thought I was the only person left in Australia using them.

Cool car too!

will definitely be staying stock looking. if i wasn't such a lazy cunt (which i am) i would have hit the cooler with some black paint. likewise the debadge and freakin' huge rear spoiler. had pulled the rear badge off due to ridiculousness but found unlike later ve's, the early ones do have frigging pins in them...

after a bit of fucking around (and while trying to sort the rest of it out) spat the dummy and popped a badge back on to cover stubborn bits of black and holes... so after that whole experience, it's on the pile with a respray in a couple of years if i keep the car for a couple of years. but yep, have always been a sleeper sort of guy. especially having been pulled over "randomly" 3 times in the vnosaur. forget just how annoying a cop-bait car is...

when i was under the car i was thinking that was a damn cool looking hoist too!

Unexpected. Like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimi View Post
    80mm of penetration isn't bad, i wish i had that much.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnitzelburger View Post
    My entire working career pretty much consists of suckin dick and takin names.

Sometimes im too busy to take names.

cheers. not a great deal planned immediately past this. except brakes. definitely brakes... will look at options there. when i get closer to buy time.

and exterior wise, tossing up between total stockers looking for funsies or de-badging and taking the spoiler off. which tends to look best on lowered cars (the spoiler off, fucking want to de-badge anyway) which, see attached pic, won't be happening. but still on the cards. it is freakishly huge and only just doesn't annoy me enough/sort of works sometimes when i need my manhood inflated with a huge spoiler.

not a by halves guy so if i have to get paint work done on the boot for holes, ergh, which i'd/painters i've spoken too'd rather then just bog or plug up, fuckit, do the lot. stone chips front and sides (lots of driving and bad parking decision next to daycare on my part...), scraped rear flare (bad parking decision on someone elses part...), swirls... weird i know but i'd rather do it all if i'm getting any paint/panel work done. so will probably stay stock looking for forseeable.

also a pic of mangosaur n. not a bad car, with previous motor, would have been almost worthy of it's own thread. killed that though. now it's just a mangin' 300k manual single spinnin' worndeathtyrex vn. has provided remarkable general public annoying service with only one flat battery. actually handles ok, skids, leathery, great fun. makes me feel like a 17 year old dickhead again.

also ssv trip to the daintree and cape trib. was awesome fun. except for the fucking cunts of fucking speed bumps littering some of the nicer bits towards cape trib. and the fact that high speed runs and ac don't often go together too well. was wondering why no ac after scaring nopics, got back and belt had come off. was a bit fucked. turns out it's a generic gm notable quality fault at any rate. who'd a thunk it wasn't really designed for x+ km/h...

Name:	Image279.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	423.4 KB 
ID:	51733  

Love it!
    Nope

Good build, I really like the low mount turbo kits on the VEs.

Having been for a ride in a Donnon Garrett TT VE I have to say I liked the power delivery.

If you manage to iron out the bugs with the kit it should be a good thing.

i'm hoping i've spent most of the time sorting those out before the kit went on - new turbs, scavenger pump, lines, clamps... as well as spending a bit of time getting it done properly and chucking the ectra insurance in - trans cooler, fuel pump, injectors, afr gauge.

and lots of other random shit like new plugs, leads, hoses, balancer. also have exhaust and some decent dump pipes made to be made up. so went from doing a cheap project to fuck it, lets do it properly while definitely keeping an eye on costs. hasn't actually been as horrendous as i though so far...

so basically the next worry is gearbox or motor destruction. would be better if the former went. it'll be cheaper and ideally i'd like to put some cash aside in case i want to do anything stupid with 400ci blocks and such... i mean if your'e gunna spend $6k on a new motor, what's an extra couple... and if i do anything to the motor, pretty sure the boxes life will be measured in minutes.

will be dropping the exh at the shop tomorrow. so dump pipes will be next done. hopefully, actually not too far now. and it should actually hold together...

compare what's on there to the pic of the manifolds and turbo when we first pulled it all out and looked at the shit. really should show pics of exh too but i was worried it'd shatter my camera... and as an aside, does it look like the manifold's been hacked and shortened a couple of mm? don't think so, looks like cast marks, just wanted to be sure some sort of manifold modification hadn't happened. it is supposed to be the std ones is all.

just so happens the original guy that had a crack has sort of put them somewhere. and i couldn't find them tonight... twitch

any cunt wondering, forget the scabby manifolds. garrets can't go any higher anyway found out today.

getting closer. actually looking to fire it up later today apparently. and has just installed dyno at workshop. and have efi live tuning software. and tuner should be sorted too. awesome to the max...

flanges getting made up for dump pipe imminently, dump pipes after. also finally got around to dropping off back of exh. full steam ahead...

might as well chuck the lot up from today. various pics of tower of coolers, plumbed in up top (with some computer fandanglery going on), close ups, best shot i could get of turbs up top

also might take mangadore to skid pan day at auto show here sun. will see how lazy i am... will try get skid pics if i make it.

Name:	Image007.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	331.7 KB 
ID:	51808  

If you want a set of cheap big brakes. You cannot go past these beauties.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VE-Alcon-...item336bddb0fb

I just picked up a set of smaller ones.

fucking fuck? $3000 for some alcons? that's fucking grand... shits over the other two ideas i was lookin at sort of.

jeus, i'm almost tempted to grab some now. that's like half the price i thought they'd be. funds so depleted though... definitely think i'd need to suss out the rim clearance for those bad boys...

- camaro brembo 4 pot fronts - cheap (<$2k) but foul ssv rims so need new rims

- harrop 4 pots (all round) - $4k and fit behind rims

but rims a bit rashed and out of balance anyway (previous owner for the most part at least...) so new rims not such a bad idea.

Grab them now and worry about rims later.

well, left engine mount cracked. considering torsional rotation of engine, shouldn't be so surprised i guess. to whit, these are'nt too expensive... quick dredge, seems pretty common. another generic gm quality fault then. then the thread deteriorated into name calling and ended with a ford explorer crash video. fucking hell... i'll ask them tomorrow. anyone know what to expect?

but very seriously wanting alcons too. just a pile of awesomeness i wasn't expecting. have contaced guy. just have to overcome intense skinflintness and far and away the most i've spent on a car. so far. fucking glad it's paid off. hah, just the part you try no to think about the more speed and capability you go after i guess... and alcons would add much capability.

Tough but unassuming. Nice one Centurion, like it, like it.

hah, discussing something that would make it much more a package...

might throw it over to the pf trust, does anyone here know what sort of rims would be needed to house these beautiful pieces of engineering... 378mm disc, 6 piston caliper. thanks to ebay guy for pic. will most likely be purchasing soon. just don't want 11ty monies on new rims required too. will add, i fairly guess the ssv rims won't fit them. was interested in picking up some second hand gts rims. will be keeping with the whole stocker looking thing and 20's not painfully big.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by darwinschops; 20-09-11 at 07:51 PM.

pwr is the au distributor

iirc their website says 365mm = 18" and 378mm = 19"

edo is that you?

Build looks the bizzniss
    'Lifes pretty straight without twisties'

lonewolf
    have seen 375mm + Porsche cup 6pots fit behind ssv wheels and expect similar sort of clearances

23 posts for edo reference. my favourite's the last one in post 15. the graininess and indifference to it is just right

farkit. if i can figure out a good price with some sort of faith alcons'll go behind E1 gts rims, will get. waiting for guy to get back.

or will probably just get anyway if can get even better price... the awesomeness of those brakes is making my pants tight.

forgot to add. new engine mounts going in. holden's forte of managing to throw an extra couple of common faults per 1000 cars makes itself known again. thank god they do good skids. also getting new battery, seems original one lasted 06 to now. so not too bad. especially sitting idle extended months. can't see i added, guy also has the efilive software and handtuner too... will go for update fri. brakes, find out sooner...

will for sure be seeing if they'll fit behind ssv rims first. the big issue's the caliper clearance. alcon's may be bigger, brembo 4 pot's don't fit. according to ls1someone. if the guy works out a good price with freight, will get.
    Last edited by darwinschops; 20-09-11 at 09:08 PM.

Freight quoted to me was $150 for both sets to Darwin from Melbourne and Perth. So should be similar to you.

Apparently Alcon callipers are narrower than HSV brakes but have to confirm.

ah. i underestimated what i found on google by about half then. guesstimated weights and such. i'll see if he's keen on throwing postage in or thereabouts. pretty much offered that. according to above, possibility the ssv rims could but will see it when i get it. but would be awesome if you could find out caliper size relative to hsv kit. obviously 15 odd inch discs'll fit. if alcons are narrower that's awesome. wait and see what he says.

ok, tell me something, you can put a turbo right under your foot with a tiny bit of heatshielding and not get called a troll and that your gonna burn your foot and that its gonna blow up and take your foot with it, but i put a turbo in a similar spot, but higher, and suddenly im gonna cook myself and its gonna explode and take my legs off... is it coz mines a moo and this is an LS?

just doesnt make sense....

other than that, i like your work. looks good!

... double post...
    Last edited by klampykixx; 20-09-11 at 11:24 PM.

Brock what are you doing? Smashed S15 Bloke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by klampykixx View Post
    ok, tell me something, you can put a turbo right under your foot with a tiny bit of heatshielding and not get called a troll and that your gonna burn your foot and that its gonna blow up and take your foot with it, but i put a turbo in a similar spot, but higher, and suddenly im gonna cook myself and its gonna explode and take my legs off... is it coz mines a moo and this is an LS?

just doesnt make sense....
    Pretty sure it's because you're a dickhead.
    1998 NB MX5
    1997 VS II Statesman (L67)

Quote Originally Posted by TK View Post
    Fuck yeah, Kinsler stuff for holden 6's is like finding hens teeth buried under rocking horse shit next to the needle in the haystack during a blue moon.