Thread: In car video - BMW M Coupe at Wakefiled Park

In car video - BMW M Coupe at Wakefiled Park

A couple of weeks ago I headed down to Wakefiled Park to co drive in a mates Z3 M Coupe. It was to be the first race meeting for the new Modern Sports Car category, and would consist of two, one hour races, one on Saturday and one on Sunday.This is the first time I'd been to Wakefield, so I was really looking forward to it.

We had a practice day on the Friday, and thankfully the weather was fine, so I got in 3 or 4 sessions to learn the track and get comfortable in the LHD Beemer again.

Qualifying on Saturday went ok, as I posted the 9th quickest time and fastest on R Specs. Probably could have gone another half a second quicker but didn't really get it all together in the 8 minute session.

Unfortunately the rain rolled in Saturday arvo, and we had little choice but to switch to a "monsoon" tyre for the race. The owner elected to start the race which put us 11th on the grid, due to his qualifying time. He got us up to 8th by the driver change, and then it was my turn to jump in. Not only was I heading out onto a wet track that I'd never raced on, but I'd also never driven on these wet weather tyres either, so I had no idea what grip level to expect. Let's just say it got interesting......

2015 Skoda Octavia RS162TSI
    2004 MX5 SE Turbo
    2016 Toyota 86 GTS (No Pics)

Sunday's race highlights to follow.
    2004 MX5 SE Turbo

haha, what a handful, I see an 86 in there

did that orange mazda spin off?

so much mist on the windscreen

great vid

Don't know how you saw through that screen!

Did you have windows up, down, cracked etc??
    VB Commo Lap Times - Winton 1:35.47 / Sandown 1:24.43 / Calder 1:05.74 / Phillip Island 1:49.0032 / Haunted Hills 1:00.30 / Bathurst 2:39:52

I agree with whatever Mark Webber just said.

show Tony this-
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/UNIVERSAL...item45fc35e857

I run one on the windscreen in my E30, and solves the fogging up issue nicely
    E36 M3 12.92 @ 108.64mph, N/A 3.0L

Excellent driving mate, looked like it was tough out there!

Just a blank where that video is supposed to be, just had Windows 7 and a new video card installed
    Richard's DatsunZ lappin LakesidZ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47OSh...&feature=g-upl

“Freedom of speech does not protect you from the consequences of saying stupid shit.”
    ― Jim C. Hines

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
    ― Daniel Patrick Moynihan

“Four hostile newspapers are more to be feared than a thousand bayonets..”
    ― Napoleon Bonaparte

Quote Originally Posted by MarkMash View Post
    haha, what a handful, I see an 86 in there

did that orange mazda spin off?

so much mist on the windscreen

great vid
    There were two 86's running in the category.

Yes the MX5 spun

Quote Originally Posted by Budge View Post
    Don't know how you saw through that screen!

Did you have windows up, down, cracked etc??
    I couldn't really, that's why I didn't make a move on the guy in front. I was literally following his tail lights, and would've been fucked if he went off the track

I had both windows right down.

Quote Originally Posted by morerevsm3 View Post
    show Tony this-
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/UNIVERSAL...item45fc35e857

I run one on the windscreen in my E30, and solves the fogging up issue nicely
    For the Sunday race we loaded up the cool suit esky with ice and redirected the hose onto the windscreen. Seemed to work well in qualifying but we didn't need it for the race as it fined up. One of the other blokes tried to get one of those universal demisters, but couldn't track any down in Goulburn.
    Last edited by TCR; 17-06-13 at 01:50 PM.
    2004 MX5 SE Turbo

Sunday morning was cold and wet, so we had no choice but to leave the wets on and head out for qualifying. Being the "co driver" I never thought my time would be used to determine our starting position, so I just went out and put in a "banker" and then spent a couple of laps testing the grip levels on different lines around the track. Much to my surprise my banker was just over two seconds quicker than the next quickest, so it made sense to put me in the car to start off pole.

Unfortunately for us, the rain cleared and the track was 95% dry for the race, so we had to switch back to thr R Spec tyres and the guys on slicks switched back as well. This meant it was really just a case of holding them off as long as possible (without being a prick) and see where we finished. Only took a lap or two to get sufficient heat into the slicks and then they started coming through. There was still water flowing across the track in turns 2, 7 and 10 throughout the race, so made things interesting. We still did pretty well though, finishing 6th outright and the first car home on R Specs.

Unfortunately the video footage go a bit screwed up, so I only have about 8 minutes of highlights from the race start and my session.

2004 MX5 SE Turbo

Two gears for the whole joint. Wicked.
    Quote Originally Posted by piss98
    I wish Kochie would get blown out to sea and never found, in fact most of those dumb cunts standing in the rain telling people not to stand in the rain need to get fucked. Stupid tart on the news last night talking to the weather guy "wow you look totally drenched there whateverthefuckhisnamewas." No shit you vapid bitch he is standing in a fucking cyclone.

Yep, nice torquey motor. Makes life a little easier
    2004 MX5 SE Turbo

hell yea nice driving in the first vid, first driver had some shifty hands which made me nervous just watching, relieved to see you hop in and use correct technique
    Speedy Refrigeration and AirCon - PM me for cheap split AC installation and Car Aircon Regas - brisbane area
    sil80 racecar

so what sort of times does the beemer pull in the wet and the dry cause it looks slow as fuk ?

I did a 1:21.6 in the rain on Sunday morning which was two seconds quicker than the next quickest in that session. Best I did on a "dryish" track during the race was a 1:09.4, but it was definitely good for 8s if it was completely dry.

Remember though, this is a fairly stock car that's had some of the interior stripped out, caged, aftermarket springs and adjustable shocks, a modified standard exhaust and R Spec tyres. No engine mods and standard brakes, so it's certainly no GT3 spec car.
    Last edited by TCR; 19-06-13 at 10:10 AM.
    2004 MX5 SE Turbo

Nice, its sometimes hard to go quik when the cars sideways half the time !

Quote Originally Posted by TCR View Post
    it was definitely good for 8s if it was completely dry.
    I reckon, but I couldn't find it either. I managed 1.09.01 in qualifying for the Wakefield 300. It was dry, but 46 cars were trying to qualify at the same time!
    The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. - Randy Komisar.

Quote Originally Posted by Cal View Post
    I reckon, but I couldn't find it either. I managed 1.09.01 in qualifying for the Wakefield 300. It was dry, but 46 cars were trying to qualify at the same time!
    Yeah, traffic wasn't really an issue for me but I didn't really get my shit together for the 8 minute qualifying session on Saturday, and on Sunday there was running water across three turns

We also struggled with some understeer over the weekend, but given that the front shocks were full soft and the rears full hard, there wasn't any adjustment left on the car.

EDIT: Apart from tyre pressures but we were marginal on tyre life anyway and couldn't afford to chew them out
    Last edited by TCR; 19-06-13 at 03:43 PM.
    2004 MX5 SE Turbo

Registered User bigshipengine.jpg's Avatar
    Any idea if this is heading out to race at Bathurst this weekend as ive seen two different M Coupes on trailers heading out today amongst the sea of Porsches. I dont imagine theres that many getting raced.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    It Places the lotion in the basket!

Were they blue? There are 2 blue ones based out of Newcastle. This car is Dakar Yellow. There is also a black one based in Sydney.
    The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. - Randy Komisar.

Yes both Factory blue.

They belong to Chris Gough who runs Targa Racing http://www.targaracing.com.au Both can be rented/leased for events. The one with BBS LM's on it used to belong to NED-Racing from PF. He and I campaigned it in the 300km endurance series for a few years up until 2015.

Last edited by Cal; 15-11-17 at 02:08 PM.

Clown Shoe - FTW. Forever.
    Panzer Wagen

M-Cars follow the idea that power should be felt & not seen

Quote Originally Posted by Cal View Post
    They belong to Chris Gough who runs Targa Racing http://www.targaracing.com.au Both can be rented/leased for events. The one with BBS LM's on it used to belong to NED-Racing from PF. He and I campaigned it in the 300km endurance series for a few years up until 2015.

Ah ha i thought id seen a blue one racing from here. Thanks for that.

Appears Adam Dodd has one of them entered in this http://www.challengebathurst.com/ & the other is being driven by Chris himself.

Edit: 1/2hr ago. They also have an M Roadster.

Last edited by Cal; 15-11-17 at 03:16 PM.

Interesting, there was a plethora of Porsches and Lotus heading out andd a mixed bag of other things.

Challenge Bathurst is on this weekend, a day of sprints and a couple of days of regularity.

Porsche club is tied up with it as well iirc.

There is a group of about 50 weird beard Datsun owners up there as well in their zeds.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk