Thread: Honda CBX 1000

Registered User innocent bystander's Avatar

Honda CBX 1000

So, I had an impulse buy because it was cheap(ish). Plus it is a 3 in 1, I didn't have an old bike, I didn't have a Japanese bike and I didn't have a 6 cylinder bike, so it saves me buy 3 bikes sometime in the future. I bought it last November, then the climate in Perth changed to 40C which made it 60C in my shed and then stuff got in the way so it has sat waiting for some love.

Name:  honda2.jpg
Views: 1033
Size:  12.8 KBName:  honda.jpg
Views: 1021
Size:  12.9 KBName:  honda3.jpg
Views: 1014
Size:  12.1 KB

I'm sure there are lots of these preserved in pristine original state, so I'm thinking of some practical and cosmetic changes for mine. But nothing that can't be put back to original, just in case I die and the the inheritors need the money when these go from rarish to impossible to get in 50 years time.

I'm currently getting rid of the the airbox and fitting pod filters. Doddle you might think, but any carb work requires the motor to be dropped for access.

Second job will be doing something with that big ugly seat and tail. Any ideas welcomed.

Then I was thinking of a replacement swingarm and an offset drive cog to fit a fatter and spoked back wheel. A front spoked wheel to match the back and upgraded brakes will then be needed. Lightened looking front with clip-ons and custom gauges, bar end mirrors, etc.

There's lots of things on the go in my life atm, so this is going to be a dragged out project.

Feel free to flame away because I'm destroying a classic.

25 schmeckles? Do the safety dance.'s Avatar
    I like it! There's enough original ones floating around, would be cool with some tasteful mods.

My dad had one of these, I took it out to "blowout the cobwebs". They go really well and the sound is awesome!!

You see, I'd be putting some modern wheels and rubber under it, and keeping it looking otherwise stockish...

You'll regret the pods in a crosswind.

Modern rubber (Maybe lighter wheels too) + brakes and suspension would be all I'd do.

Girlfriends old man has a Kwakka 6cyl. Z1300 I believe, the thing sounds like armageddon following it down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by da9jeff View Post
    You wot?
    Can't say I've ever had an issue with the pods on the Kat.

If you don't want to change the forks, put some race tech springs and emulators in them at a minimum. Ikons on the back, or talk to the guys at Gazi pair of theirs.

Oh, and try to find some 18" Astralites for it - they look enough like the factory Comstars that most won't notice, and they weigh fuckall, Continental do a "Classic Race" compound RoadAttack 2 for some useful old bike sizes, it's sticky and a radial, and because it's aimed at classic endurance racing, lasts really quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by da9jeff View Post
    Please explain.

Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    Oh, and try to find some 18" Astralites for it - they look enough like the factory Comstars that most won't notice, and they weigh fuckall, Continental do a "Classic Race" compound RoadAttack 2 for some useful old bike sizes, it's sticky and a radial, and because it's aimed at classic endurance racing, lasts really quite well.
    You're right about the Astralites, I'd never heard of them until now and had a google. That's definitely the way to go. I'm open to any other suggestions.

The priority now is to fit the pod filters, attempt to balance the carbs, all 6 of them, and maybe upgrade the ignition to get the engine running smoothly. It chugs a bit under load, I never got a chance to really open it up on the pre purchase test ride so I wasn't aware of this until I actually owned it. I've heard rumours that I may need to go up a jet size with pod filters too.

Throw a set of Dyna coils at it, the OEM coils are probably a bit sad by now. You will have to fuck with jetting, dynojet might make a kit for them, otherwise maybe ask at oldskoolperformance.com, or there would have to be a Cbx forum, someone will have advice on jetting/needle heights.

Styling - flat bars, little indicators, HRC red white blue colours, job done.

Consider yourself flamed, but I still approve.

One of the best bikes I ever saw was a modernised Kawasaki triple - USDs etc - and I would never have endorsed that. So carry on, just keep it tasteful.
    Last edited by Shifty; 02-07-13 at 05:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    Throw a set of Dyna coils at it, the OEM coils are probably a bit sad by now. You will have to fuck with jetting, dynojet might make a kit for them, otherwise maybe ask at oldskoolperformance.com, or there would have to be a Cbx forum, someone will have advice on jetting/needle heights.
    The spark units are dropping their tarry guts out, so they need replacing, probably more so than the coils. Can get replacements from here, http://www.timscbx.com/Eng%20page%207.html. Going to cost about $600 to replace coils, spark units and ignition leads. That TIMS site is an excellent resource. I bought a copy of the complete illustrated carb rebuild manual from there, and I'm steeling myself in case a carb clean/rebuild is needed. The CBX owners club is also an excellent resource.

Temporary Australian Rorz de Puniet's Avatar
    Full front end conversion from late model bike with USD forks and massif brakes. Front wheel from donor bike, modern non-pizza cutter rear- can you do swing arm/rear wheel conversions on these?

Modern muffler, find a race style fibreglass superbike tail with foam seat. They're pretty easy to fit to different bikes using nut-serts. Just find one you like the look of then look at mounting a brake light and turn signals before having it painted.

Love the look of the 6 cylinder headers. They sound great too.
    Randy De Puniet has had more crashes than any other rider in the history of Grand Prix motorcycle racing.

Hows this going mate?

No real work since 2015, but a slow down starting about a year earlier meant spare money to spend on this ran out.

Running around doing odd jobs at minimum rates to keep my head above water, so no spare time either, so this has been sitting for the last couple of years with the engine still dropped and sitting on the jack.

I did fit new upgraded ignition and coils, but needs the carbies pulled off and cleaned and maybe new kits fitted because of the amount of time it has been sitting.

One day I'll get back to it.

You definitely should. These bikes are such a nostalgia hit. More is more!