Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: HQ Monaro with all sorts of shit done to it...

That's Sir Cunt to you... krisr's Avatar

HQ Monaro with all sorts of shit done to it...

So finally decided to put up a thread of my tank that i've had for 14 years now, ground up rebuild, all the fruit including lots of cuts, bruises, swearing.

How it started out;

Since then it was completely stripped inside and out, all rubbers, bushes were replaced, all bolts were either cleaned up, plated and/or replaced (depending on what they were for) - i've seen blokes use stainless bolts for suspension control arms, no shit!....

I think the first engine I had in it was a clapper 308 and trimatic, which was then sold for a 308 black motor out of a VK. I scored a great deal on another Monaro that came without the engine, but had a top loader and a 9", I had put both of those into my car and put a 308/TH400/10bolt back into the other car, it was then sold.

Since the 308/4 speed combo, I was given a deal on a 389c/i Pontiac engine, took some measurements of the motor and worked out that it would fit into a HQ engine bay, it actually fits bloody well!. So I had the engine rebuilt back to basically a stocker just to get the car running/engineered. At this stage I had a Supra 5 speed behind it.

Fast forward a number of years, a screw from the base plate of a Q-Jet carb went down the motor and made a mess of #7 cylinder. Doing some measurements, I found out I had +0.040 389 pistons in the thing, those fuckers are quite rare so I had the block sonic tested and found that on top of the bore I had another 0.120" of wiggle room before I needed to worry, so a slight overbore to stock 400c/i (4.120"), a set of forged H-beam rods, main studs and a decent roller cam were ordered. The heads were sent away for some clean up too - but it still had a carb bolted on top of it, which shat me. Also I popped the Supra 5speed, which was replaced with a fully manualised TH400 and 3200 tight 10" converter.

Fast forward again, a good mate of mine introduced me to Megasquirt EFI. Since the inception of MS2, i've had it on my car, continually messing around with it, tuning, tweaking, experimenting etc... Fucked around with different manifolds, different throttle bodies, injector sizes, ignitions, etc... Today i've found the best combination for this engine is Megasquirt 3X (full seqential) with 6cyl Commo 36lb injectors, Accel 300+ CDI which i'm thinking about replacing with 8 x LS1 coils and a 1000cfm 4bbl TB on top with a 1" spacer.

The car as it sits now with some Prostars I bought with the intention on replacing the Centerline Stars currently on it;

Last edited by krisr; 13-03-12 at 09:13 AM.

nice ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbo Yoda
    I <3 Hamster

What a beauty, I've got a soft spot for q monaros.
    Quote Originally Posted by Einstein
    The definition of insanity is repeating the same action and expecting a different result

Love the car.

Q' eeys have a great shape. Yours looks pretty cool.

CUNT!

Why oh why did I sell mine, FML!!

Very nice ride mate, I'm extremely jealous!

/ --------------- \
    _/ /___________\ \_
    /_________|_________\
    |OOO ___________ OOO|
    \______|====|______/
    [_]-------------------[_]

2nd Chris' comments, hot as, wish i kept my Munro too

yep nice - HQ's do have a nice shape

Cheers boys - as I said, the fucken thing has consumed so many years of my life so far, I'm just glad that I can just use it, it's quite reliable (when i'm not stuffing around with it) and being fuel injected it just starts and runs in any conditions - hot/cold/elevated/etc.... ofcourse it does come at a cost though, the purists get their panties bunched up because it doesn't sport a Chev and Holley combo. But its nice and different, not built to turn the planet but it does good skids and ran 108MPH with a very soft base EFI tune plus dragging rear brakes (drum brake master cylinder when you have disks on the rear = bad). Am keen to get a set of ET Streets and 3.9 diff gears and see what it'll MPH now though.

Saw this at the modification meetup at eastern creek, very nice

What master cylinder do you run? I have the old drum one on and have gutted the old proportioning valve (held pressure against the drums)

Yeah the valve is what stuffed me up because the master cylinder came off a HZ with disk brake rear so I thought it'd be no drama and didn't really check but I was wrong.

I got a brand new VZ Commo booster and master for nicks so ended up putting that on rather than using the stock setup. The m/cyl is a 1" bore and "fast fill" type so the initial part of the bore is slightly over 1" for the start of the stroke - from reading is to just energize the pistons in the front calipers quickly. Stock HQ girlocks on the front and some Ford caliper on the rear (XC I think...), I can't remember the piston diameters off hand, but my calculations were ok where I didn't need to run a bias valve. Doesn't lock up the rears first and slide all over the shop or anything stupid like that... it actually stops really good for an old steel hunk!

I ended up using one of the existing holes in the firewall and re-drilling the other 3 when putting the booster on. Modified the pushrod slightly to work with the stock HQ pedal, re-made the lines from the master and job done.

Ignore the coil packs, I was messing around at the time but never got around to setting them up
    Last edited by krisr; 13-03-12 at 02:36 PM.

Thanks for that

very nice. scoop a style thing or needed for clearance?

don't really understand the efi hate, even the old rednecks in my family spit on carbs. technology is our friend...

Scoop is for both really - I like the style and needed the room. Pontiac engines have a 10" deck height so they're aint much room underneath without one. Eventually down the track i'll make up a cold air setup and seal it under the scoop as I remember reading those reverse cowl scoops draw in high pressure cold air from the windscreen or something like that. My air temp sensor is in the base of the air cleaner so I can log air temps to see if the theory works or not. If it doesn't, it's just a bit of time, folded alloy and a trip to Clark Rubber wasted.

This thing is very cool, i rate it for sure!
    HR31 Coupe - RB20, Bilsteins, Cage and shit
    R31 Ti - Sun Visor, Venetian Blinds, Coilovers, Whiteline Bars, Wog Stance.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Jones View Post
    Farmer its all about how you cut them up, like a dead hooker jigsaw puzzle.

I find this thread arousing.
    This is a post i wrote by mistake, which is nice...

PF GT5 whore car list https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...thkey=CPKNmOIJ

i like it!

Love the Poncho power, makes a change from shitty chev engines. And from what I've read compared to other GM divisions the Chev engines are shit.

Quote Originally Posted by irsa76 View Post
    Love the Poncho power, makes a change from shitty chev engines. And from what I've read compared to other GM divisions the Chev engines are shit.
    I rate the different power plant as well but its a big call "Chev engines are shit"

Yeah leave the sledging out of it because they're not a shit motor, they're not bad and there's plenty of aftermarket parts available but they don't fit the bill for each and every conversion possible. There's alot of pros/cons between each GM division but if I had the energy to do it again a LSX454 would be going in or a 572 crate motor.

Awesome car and cool engine choice, they're capable of some big power too, particularly with big cubes

Quote Originally Posted by irsa76 View Post
    Chev engines are shit.
    Haha… nothing says shit like like a 58 year production run of over 100 million engines.

Read what I said again. I said from what I've read, in books and online, compared to Pontiac, Buick and Cadillac engines chev engines are shit, as in cheap and nasty in standard applications.
    Not as in it's a steaming pile of turd like a few other engines we can think of.
    Anyway, having a Pontiac engine in there is thinking outside the box and makes what would be a cool car regardless even cooler.
    Last edited by irsa76; 15-03-12 at 08:16 PM.

Old Goat
    Pontiac power....love your car Chris :-)

An Aussie GTO in all honesty
    You can skydive without a parachute.........but only once

Yeah the way they should have come out

PS. Love your goat! My old man has a 68 Wagon with the GTO front clip on it but a steel nose (Lemans I think?) rather than the rubber nose... Can't remember the particulars, he's had it since I was born! It's basically all that is left of my inheritance ahha

Nice rig mate, that bonnet scoop says you mean business!!
    xw Falcon 393 full race cam, NGK spark plugs.

So I decided to attack the valve covers with the TIG. The lead for cyl #5 is an inch too long but meh, I hope the coil conversion bloody works!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130902 - Both Sides Made Up_sm.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	241.9 KB 
ID:	68152

Brobdingnagian Member Mighty Mouse's Avatar
    not sure how I missed this thread! sweet 'q mate, looks tops. Still running the MS?

Yeah man, been running the Megasquirt for years now. I went the MS3X route for seq-fuel a while back, but decided to say fuckit and put the LS1 coils on too. I have a spare Mallory dizzy I need to machine down as all it'll be doing is a cam sensor role and is a small body thing. After that I reckon i'll call it a day on the mods.

Sell me old wheels. Thx
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosshoggett View Post
    If your planing to drive this on the road and enjoy it, id suggest a second opinion, someone with a history in Australian Rally or Fink River . If your just playing dyno comps. Then ok

Was this out at Powercruise over the weekend?

If so it looks and sounds the goods. Not usually a fan of Monaros but this is well nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimi View Post
    80mm of penetration isn't bad, i wish i had that much.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnitzelburger View Post
    My entire working career pretty much consists of suckin dick and takin names.

Sometimes im too busy to take names.

Nah i'm in Syd so no QR powercruise for me.

Once I get a chance to get the 15x8 Pro stars for the back, the old wheels will be coming off. They are 16x7 and 16x8 Centreline Star's - from memory the backs are a 4.5" back space and I used a 1/4" spacer to stop them from scrubbing when the diff rolls around, may not be look quite as "fat" if you're putting them on your tonner?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-10-15 14.31.29_sm.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	182.0 KB 
ID:	68277