Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: 1jz-gte + ra28 = skids

Quote Originally Posted by _glenn_archer_ View Post
    If I run into dramas with the Toyota coils I guess I'll just have to go back to the LS2 fuckers? But I'm quietly confident they will be fine
    I really dont get the Yaris coil love, people want to get rid of the ignitor and factory coils on JZ engines because after 20 years of scorching heat they have started to break down so they go and buy a bunch of unknown used coil packs from a wrecker, wire everything to suit and then 6 months later they start to fail. Yet to meet anyone who has done it and thought it worthwhile. There is nothing wrong with the factory gear, its just that its $600 to replace them ($550 landed from Summit)

Eh, LS coils or put new genuine ones in and run 20+ psi for the next decade.
    Last edited by dnegative; 03-03-18 at 10:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by cracka View Post
    Fuck I'm retarded

you can get them new for reasonable prices... https://www.walmart.com/ip/DENSO-673...-Coil/42400834
    Quote Originally Posted by ALLMTR View Post
    the theory is the fuel pump is one of the only things that can fuck out on a diesel

Quote Originally Posted by dnegative View Post
    I really dont get the Yaris coil love, people want to get rid of the ignitor and factory coils on JZ engines because after 20 years of scorching heat they have started to break down so they go and buy a bunch of unknown used coil packs from a wrecker, wire everything to suit and then 6 months later they start to fail. Yet to meet anyone who has done it and thought it worthwhile. There is nothing wrong with the factory gear, its just that its $600 to replace them ($550 landed from Summit)

Eh, LS coils or put new genuine ones in and run 20+ psi for the next decade.

I agree the factory coils (when brand new are perfect for the job) but are not available to every repco/autopro/bursons like the Yaris coils. Also anyone buying ANY second hand part and expecting it to be as good as brand new unit is kidding themselves!! I just want to hide the stuff under my engine covers again and to go back to factory coils I would have to also rewire in an ignitior... I can also get a set of 6 Yaris coils for about $420 (still cheaper than the $550 from summit for the 1/2jz coils you quoted) off the shelf at the parts shop across the carpark from my work.
    Last edited by _glenn_archer_; 04-03-18 at 12:34 PM.
    1JZ RA28 (yoshi) the toymotor sillycar
    http://performanceforums.com/forums/...gte-ra28-skids
    200B wagon
    LOW AND SLOW STOCKER

Your buying new parts so your about 10 steps ahead of most of the drifters who do this shit lol
    Fuck I'm retarded

Will you be ready for Nats?

Quote Originally Posted by lenjiman View Post
    Will you be ready for Nats?
    You coming?
    GT8
    1UZ Celica
    1.07 flat Wakefield Park

Quote Originally Posted by Justengt4 View Post
    You coming?
    Maybe..... we'll see....

Car runs at the moment, but I want to try and get my intercooler setup done before nationals!! Hopefully make a few more powers with a more efficient intercooler (currently enlisting the help of foamy) worst case I could put it back to the way it is now but should have enough time.... I hope!
    200B wagon
    LOW AND SLOW STOCKER

Quote Originally Posted by lenjiman View Post
    Maybe..... we'll see....
    DO IT

1988 AW11 9A-GTE - project #1 | 1980 KP60 4K - project #2 | 1994 UZZ31 Soarer 1UZ-FZE - Cruise missile

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Kowalski talking like a crazed hobo View Post
    The major arrests will start from 1st January 2019.

Took the old girl into work today to start pulling it apart for the new intercooler setup nice crisp morning FUCK SHE PULLS WELL when it's cold (before the intercooler runs out of efficiency) lol

Not so stealth intercooler doing a shit job currently...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0961.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	2.10 MB 
ID:	105106

Would be better if I didn't have a front bar in the way! Wouldn't fix my pressure drop tho!

Name:	IMG_0963.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	2.39 MB 
ID:	105107

Showing what little room I don't have left, should have taken it with the grill on so you could really see how bad it is!

Name:	IMG_0962.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	2.30 MB 
ID:	105108

This was behind the intercooler after a slight clean I thought I should take a photo, the car had had multae washes since drag challenge and been driven about, will need a fly/bug screen before the next challenge (even if it's only temporary).

Name:	IMG_0965.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	2.35 MB 
ID:	105110

This is the aircon condenser placed on the front roughly for a test fit, I actually decided to order another condenser today to use as a heat exchanger for the intercooler setup. It's not thick but if I can get the baffle plates out of the end tanks and take it from a 4pass down to single pass should be ok? Only time will tell!!

I'm going to run one with fittings left and the other right so I can "try" to make it all fit and work!!

Name:	IMG_0966.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	2.41 MB 
ID:	105109

Just took some photos of the old intercooler to show it was nice and clean inside with NO oil residue or anything and I was actually impressed. Mind you the turbo is only 30k old.

Name:	IMG_0968.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	105112

Hard to take photos around corners to show the core, this was with my inspection mirror.

Name:	IMG_0969.JPG 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	105111

Hopefully my intercooler will show up before lunch time and I can have a bit of a play with that tomorrow
    200B wagon
    LOW AND SLOW STOCKER

do you really need that big oil cooler? the stock water jacketed oil cooler was not doing the job?
    the theory is the fuel pump is one of the only things that can fuck out on a diesel

you're reminding me of my intercooling woes. i saw north of 80degs on the main straight on saturday

have you got a pump for the WTA yet? if not, make sure you get something that flows proper amounts of water like this: http://www.frozenboost.com/liquid-ai...02-p-1001.html
    1988 AW11 9A-GTE - project #1 | 1980 KP60 4K - project #2 | 1994 UZZ31 Soarer 1UZ-FZE - Cruise missile

Quote Originally Posted by TRD-MX62 View Post
    do you really need that big oil cooler? the stock water jacketed oil cooler was not doing the job?
    If some is good than more is better?
    When I fist did the conversion the radiator was so small I was worried about it (if you have ever seen a soarer radiator you can understand why they would dump heat into the cooling system). I didn't have the luxury of such a big rad at the time
    200B wagon
    LOW AND SLOW STOCKER

If some is good than more is better?
    When I fist did the conversion the radiator was so small I was worried about it (if you have ever seen a soarer radiator you can understand why they would dump heat into the cooling system). I didn't have the luxury of such a big rad at the time
    I think you would be much better served going back to the stock oil cooler and just adding a big A2A cooler and doing what ever you can to duct the air through the front of the car without making it look stupid (the biggest challenge on old cars), some gap between the cores, sealing the edges of the cores and some ducting to try and stop the air spilling off the front and maybe some ducting to pull a negative pressure in the engine bay?

As if to gently remind me at one point I didn't have intercooler issues (only overheating issues) Facebook did what it dose best and gave me an "ON THIS DAY" from 6 years ago haha.

Name:	IMG_0996.PNG 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	105141

New "BIG" intercooler showed up on Friday! No kidding it was big! remember this was the place I wanted it to go? Well I was staring to have second thoughts...

Name:	IMG_0976.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	2.44 MB 
ID:	105134

That was until the handy dandy air saw came out to make some room! The tanks on it are cast (weighs a TON and still yet to be Fittler with water). Tanks also had 3.5" inlet and outlets for air and I'm running 2.5 from the turbo straight in and 3" over to the the throttle body this time (instead of 2.5")

Name:	IMG_0986.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	105138

For a cheep unit, had a really good looking core (small water jackets and large air, actual water to air core instead of a converted small air to air core) happy about that! It did have the inlet and outlet on the same side, I thought that was a great until my turbo inlet ended up in the way to now it's going to be cross flow with some plumbing in the inner guard.

Name:	IMG_0994.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	105136

Test fits with one tank completely removed, will have to be made from scratch basically straight up against the turbo.

Name:	IMG_0993.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	105137

Air filter will end up under the water to air cooler.might still make a heat shield and try to keep some exhaust heat away from the intake.

Name:	IMG_0998.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	2.02 MB 
ID:	105140

Recyceling the BOV flange for my China BOV, seems to be working well so won't be replacing it.

Name:	IMG_0999.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	2.13 MB 
ID:	105139

Started on my new intercooler plumbing today going over the top of the radiator hose, it's not ideal as it's basically going to have hot air blowing on it constantly. But I was thinking of using some of tha gold insulation tape for the outside of the intercooler intake pipe and also the boosted pipe across the radiator.

Has anyone had a play with the gold reflective heat insulation tape? Would be interested to hear if it's worthwhile?

Name:	IMG_1005.JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	2.27 MB 
ID:	105144

This is the current plan for A/C and for the heat exchanger, 2x universal aircon condensers bolted together, one i will have to remove the baffles removed to make it single pass and also have some 19mm fittings added for the coolant hoses. the other can stay basically standard becomes mounting for the aircon.

This plan could change because the intercooler is a lot bigger than I expected so I'll probably need a bigger heat exchanger but I'm seriously just out of room!!

Name:	IMG_0979.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	105133

Roughly just sitting on the front of the car to get a feel for how far wi would have to space the grill E.T.C. I'm really just focusing on the intake /cooler mounting side at this point!

Name:	IMG_0981.JPG 
Size:	2.31 MB 
ID:	105132

Showing the height of the cooler pipes above the radiator/ engine, the more I was working the more I kept thinking "I bet this won't even fit under the bonnet bulge like I want it too!"

Name:	IMG_1009.JPG 
Size:	2.51 MB 
ID:	105143

Bit of a test fit shows apparently It will fit after all!? Just left it lateched on and the back near the screen and didn't bolt the front to the hinges and lifting and dropping the bonnet a tiny bit I couldn't see the cooler piping moving at all (I shouldn't really see much at all, but looked like it was going to clear! Even if it wasn't by much).

Name:	IMG_1008.JPG 
Size:	1.98 MB 
ID:	105142

Lastly has anyone had much to do with plasmaclamps or the likes? As I'm not solid mounted I can't really V band mount my intercooler pipes and I don't really have space to put hose and claps on to make it straight at the throttle. Any input is appreciated

Only like 25 days till Toyota nations things are going to be a bit tight! No going back now!

Cheers, Glenn.
    200B wagon
    LOW AND SLOW STOCKER

Hope my brother gave you a discount lol
    The gold tape works well (it's not amazing but makes a notable difference) but you have to buy the proper stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by dnegative View Post
    Hope my brother gave you a discount lol
    The gold tape works well (it's not amazing but makes a notable difference) but you have to buy the proper stuff.
    Got a link? Or name of the good stuff?
    200B wagon
    LOW AND SLOW STOCKER

Thermotec

Bought some from Burton (was buying a Settab cooler so tossed it in) in the UK but someone will sell it here.

DEI also sell stuff, i have sheets of the silver stuff in the adub, works well. bought mine from summit but MSCN and rocket sell the same stuff locally iirc

Rob Knox is running some plazmaclamps in his 400kw sw20. He had some silicon joiners which just kept popping until he changed to the plazmaclamps, all solved now but $$$

Blowing hoses off is either because you have no bead (or a shitty welded version), poor clamp or the hose is on some stupid angle and the mechanical advantage when it inflates assists it overcoming the clamp/bead.
    The hoses themselves dont burst till 200+ psi
    Fuck I'm retarded

yeah was a poor angle/lack of space issue

For your pipe work I've heard ceramic coatings work very well.
    Where did you get the WTA setup from? Looks like it could work for me if I decide to do something stupid with the wagon, I don't really have enough room for a bigger intercooler due to winch, pissy little trans cooler and A/C fan.

Outlaw speed shop had some thermo tec (double thickness self adheasive) tape, ordered 4.5m of it.
    Hopefully that will help my situation out

Name:	IMG_1013.PNG 
Size:	639.0 KB 
ID:	105186

Also ordered the poor mans version of the plasmaclamp from proflow, see how it goes, I only got 1 for now to do at the throttle body for a test, but at 1/3 the price of a plasmaclamp I thought I would give it a try?

Name:	IMG_1014.PNG 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	105187

As for the intercooler itself that was from one of the guys here on PF lives in sydney sent it down to canberra for me, was super helpful (foamy) thanks again mate!
    200B wagon
    LOW AND SLOW STOCKER

You just get shit done!! Amirable!
    Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Italian 510

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    You just get shit done!! Amirable!
    Thanks!
    But the reality of the situation is I always leave shit until the last second and then rush to get it done... haha

Toyota nationals is over Easter weekend so that's only like 2 weeks away! Gonna be some late nights between now and then for sure!!
    200B wagon
    LOW AND SLOW STOCKER

I see some late nights in your future.....pump and lines to fit.....wiring....tune ...yikes 😳
    GT8
    1UZ Celica
    1.07 flat Wakefield Park

Good luck with it all mate!!! Nats or Bust!

Quote Originally Posted by Justengt4 View Post
    I see some late nights in your future.....pump and lines to fit.....wiring....tune ...yikes 😳
    Tune for the most part should be good, needs a bit of cold start work but I need to find the time lol 😂 At a family BBQ tonight but already planning what to do tomorrow, it's all things that take a lot of time and look like not much has been done

Fingers crossed for a positive result! It will fix the pressure drop for sure! I hope it also helps the intake temps tho!! Otherwise I have no idea what to do lol

Will do Ben! Feel free to come and "help/inspect" of your bored one night hahaha can even pick up your wiring for the Wrx ECU
    200B wagon
    LOW AND SLOW STOCKER

Will do Ben! Feel free to come and "help/inspect" of your bored one night hahaha can even pick up your wiring for the Wrx ECU
    Haha.... forgot about that... and the ECU and the wiring! Will do!!!

Spent half a day in the shop today, lots of work for very little outcome.

Pull the compressor housing off so that I could "remove" the old 2.5" pipework.

Name:	IMG_1015.JPG 
Views:	7 
Size:	2.51 MB 
ID:	105208

Post drop saw action, back to factory hahaha

Name:	IMG_1016.JPG 
Size:	2.22 MB 
ID:	105207

New direction for the intercooler piping.

Name:	IMG_1018.JPG 
Size:	1.95 MB 
ID:	105206

Cardboard teplate for the new housing, I really wasn't sure how I was going to make it work.

Name:	IMG_1017.JPG 
Size:	2.17 MB 
ID:	105211

Bloke down the road let me use his workshop with gilotine and bender to to sort out the tank.

Name:	IMG_1019.JPG 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	105210

Ready to weld onto the intercooler core soon as I sort out the rest of the mounts E.T.C.

Name:	IMG_1021.JPG 
Size:	1.84 MB 
ID:	105209

We have a china welder at work the moment and while it works to join metal together it's not as nice as the kempi I used to use. And I have a tricky little task to take on now with it that was fully self inflicted...

I wanted to turn a duel pass core into a single pass core, but now that it's in place and I'm working on the intake pipe I think I really want to turn it back into duel and that means I need to weld a baffle back into the core that I ground out the other night

Name:	IMG_0992.JPG 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	105212

This is the baffle I removed and now need to re build back up.
    200B wagon
    LOW AND SLOW STOCKER