Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell me about vans..

Opens

Tell me about vans..

I need to van to carry around a go kart.

I'm thinking a low km (40-60k) Vito or something similar (found one for 25k).

When I go on any review sites, you get a bunch of whiners but not many people go on to give a good review.

Is there anything special I should know about diesel vans, or does someone have a model/brand which they know shits on everything else?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Jones View Post
    Sneakers prompted the erection. Engine stand made me do something with it

Iload
    you cant spell advertisements without semen between the tits

Opens
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripper View Post
    Iload
    Yep - seem popular then reviews say they're rough and poor warranty. Not a heap cheaper when in the 2nd hand market. Anything particular you'd like to add?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Jones View Post
    Sneakers prompted the erection. Engine stand made me do something with it

Little engine that could. itsnotagsr's Avatar
    Mate of mine is mobile mechanic that has had just about every van on the market. He swears by his iload. Reckons its the most car like and comfortable compared to all the other more industrial vans (eg Hiace).
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
    (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
    Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

is delicious
    Last edited by smellytofu; 17-10-13 at 03:41 PM.

Volkswagen Transporter Turbo Diesel Manual.

The end.
    The World's Best Pest Control in Brisbane, at PF mates rates, PM me.

when all else fails, hit it harder.

Opens
    toyota hiace. there is no better. there is bigger, but there is not better.

SLWB 3L turbo diesel

Edit Full driveaway$51,548.95 internet price.

Buy it, don't pass go, don't collect $200.
    Last edited by myliberty; 17-10-13 at 04:25 PM.

I'd say more people would jump online to review something when it falls to shit, rather than when they're happy about it (unless specifically asked). So take the bad reviews with a grain of salt I reckon! Unless they all mention the same thing, then it's a cause for worry.

EDIT: +1 for Hiace too

Petrol Hiace if you want reliability. Fuck diesel with its injector and pump bs.

Opens
    Quote Originally Posted by Sturmovik View Post
    Petrol Hiace if you want reliability. Fuck diesel with its injector and pump bs.
    I like the petrol for reliability and rev the snot out of itability just because you can.

Trendsetter is awesome cheapracer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lickmyleftone View Post
    Volkswagen Transporter Turbo Diesel Manual.

The end.
    Yup, one of the very few Euro cars or other that cuts it in Australia, my Dad's even got one, goes pretty hard too.

is delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by myliberty View Post
    I like the petrol for reliability and rev the snot out of itability just because you can.
    Just stick it on gas

For a Go Kart all you will need is a mid sized van, iLoad, Transporter, Vito, Hiace 6.0, Scudo's etc

IMHO

iLoad: Best value for money, resale fantastic, 5yr warranty fantastic, servicing cheap, its what I would buy because it does everything well enough, it does not fail in any area and I am sick of throwing money away on Euro stuff come resale time.
    Downsides, no cruise, not as nice to drive as euros, interior plastics not as good

Transporter: get the 400nm diesel in manual and they fucking fly, best drive in a mid sized van by far, one I had came with cruise standard.
    Downsides, the one I had had only one sliding door not dual, expensive to buy, found it a little trickier to get in an out of then my iLoad, resale shocking

Hiace: its a box, great for load space
    Downsides, buy in price, Cab over, Cab over, Cab over......you would only drive if it was not yours and you had to as an employee as part of a fleet, no cruise(?)

Vitos: Great drive again, great fit and finish, probably the snazziest looking
    Downsides: expensive buy in, resale, factory servicing cost

Anything Italian like the Scudos you will have to trade to sell, even then dealers will baulk

Summary:

If the actual driving the van is of upmost importance, Transporter, Vito, Scudo, iLoad, larger gap, Hiace
    If its a sensible purchase iLoad, Hiace, large gap any of the others
    1978 Opel Manta SR Berlinetta 1UZFE - Project
    2013 Opel Insignia OPC - Daily
    2011 Hyundai iLoad - Work
    2015 Skoda Octavia Scout premium 132TSI - Mrs

If you give zero fucks for comfort, get a Hiace.

I'm in the market for a new van, too. Currently have an Express Walk-Thru (I think someone else on here has/had one as well). Easy to drive, and offers car-like comfort. Unfortunately, it's a Mitsubishi, so it's at that point where everything's too worn out to bother persisting with.

Priced up a Transporter today, which is my ultimate preference, but the cheapest one currently, is $40K on road. Fuck that noise. They're a great bus, though. Probably worth the money, but it's money I don't have.

Took a new Renault Trafic for a blat, and was impressed with what it offered for the money. Can't argue with $30K on road. Yeah, it's French, but that doesn't really faze me. I've always been drawn towards odd-ball cars. The SWB is about the right size, and the motor cracked along ok considering the thing was unlaiden. The specs suggest it'll perform better than the base model Transporter TDI250 anyway. I'd want the Trafic in manual, though. I only got to drive the QuickShift semi-auto thing. It was ok, but a bit clumsy if you're a tad indecisive, or in a hurry. Plus the saleman hinted that it was unreliable.

Nothing else on the market really interests me. The Fiats have come down in price, but they're probably a little too odd-ball for my tastes.

Yeah forgot the Trafics, Good vans...in Manual guise
    1978 Opel Manta SR Berlinetta 1UZFE - Project
    2013 Opel Insignia OPC - Daily
    2011 Hyundai iLoad - Work
    2015 Skoda Octavia Scout premium 132TSI - Mrs

iLoad turbo diesel auto. Easily best value in the segment.

Drives like a car, rack and pinion steering, rear discs, plenty grunt, economical, 2 pallet on the floor load space, top warranty, cheap fixed price servcing.
    Unlike the 1970's throwback HiAce, your lower legs are not the accident crumple zone.
    Last edited by Momus; 17-10-13 at 05:22 PM.
    Claimed horsepower sceptic.

The royal penis is clean tremolo's Avatar
    Only van I've spent any time in is a Merc Sprinter and I find it awesome. It's one of those big cunts that are about 8m long and 4m high. It's comfy as fuck and carries everything. Also I got it unbelievably sideways on Hawthorne Rd (going past Lourdes Hill over the crest) in the wet once which was slightly scary and very amusing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturmovik View Post
    My D4d slwb is coming up to 600000km and nill dramas so far !

vans a great for picking up ladies that like to play hard to get
    Last edited by Gassed250; 17-10-13 at 08:05 PM.
    List of cars goes here

Servicing one on the weekend that apparently has 460-odd thousand on it. Although I do believe it's had a pump and injectors at some stage.

Quote Originally Posted by tremolo View Post
    Only van I've spent any time in is a Merc Sprinter and I find it awesome. It's one of those big cunts that are about 8m long and 4m high. It's comfy as fuck and carries everything. Also I got it unbelievably sideways on Hawthorne Rd (going past Lourdes Hill over the crest) in the wet once which was slightly scary and very amusing.
    Yeah, I've spent some time behind the wheel of VW LTs and Crafters, which are essentially Sprinters. Great when going.

Out of interest, of the vans suggested above, which has the highest towing capacity (braked) ??
    /csh Racing

Both the Trafic and the Transporter are rated at 2T, with genuine towbars.

Hayman Reece will tell you their kits are good for 20T, of course

Left field but Ford Transit?
    Drove a new one for work the other day turbo diesel, went really well and cavernous cargo area.
    2005 VZ SS 5.7L M6 Ute

Quote Originally Posted by dhs View Post
    Left field but Ford Transit?
    Drove a new one for work the other day turbo diesel, went really well and cavernous cargo area.

Many moons ago a mate of mine had an ex aus post van, he could drive and park anywhere without attracting fines..

Why was that?

I have a transit, 2.2 diesel with a 6 speed manual (apparently the auto box is strong).

because i do 90% high way driving. cruise control was what i was after. which the iload don't do (from the factory)

it handles very good (for a van)

only shit thing is that i can't get into many underground car parks but i can still get through maccas drive through.
    it also has about 600 cup holders
    '01 RS125
    '01 CR500
    '05 CR250
    '07 CR125
    '70 Mk2 Cortina
    '80 1200 Ute
    '12 Transit

My choice would be Iload or Renault Trafic, I prefer the Renault and still miss the one I ran when I worked for print firm. Hiace is overpriced for what it is, although they are generally reliable. I'd avoid the SLWB diesel Hiace unless you absolutely NEED the space, they chop the crap out of the front tyres/brakes and are thirsty.
    Left field choice would be the Fiat Ducato, know a local operator who has them and they love them, we're also looking at them apparently.

get something cool

Last edited by Imposter Forg; 17-10-13 at 07:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by irsa76 View Post
    My choice would be Iload or Renault Trafic, I prefer the Renault and still miss the one I ran when I worked for print firm. Hiace is overpriced for what it is, although they are generally reliable. I'd avoid the SLWB diesel Hiace unless you absolutely NEED the space, they chop the crap out of the front tyres/brakes and are thirsty.
    Left field choice would be the Fiat Ducato, know a local operator who has them and they love them, we're also looking at them apparently.
    Is there a Fiat dealer in Cambrah? I didn't spot one while I was in and around Rolfe's and Lennock's.

Might have to take a Ducato for a spin.