Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell me about vans..

Not sure if I should put this in italics, but if you can justify it for business use:http://www.ldvvans.com.au/
    Buy/lease for a couple of years then flog off and repeat. If you're gong to get raped on resale you might as well do it with a brand new, bigger, van.

Would the Kart fit in a Commodore ute with panelvan conversion?

If it's just for the kart an Elgrand or Alphard, or even a Chrysler Grand Voyager, with the seats taken out, will also do the job.

Or just buy a trailer and save youself buying a speciality vehicle for just one piece of equipment?

I drive my Vito a very long way and almost every day so I'm happy to cop the depreciation for the better drive, Luckily White Crew cabs have done much better than Luxo versions with depreciation.
    GURU ENGINEERING PTY LTD

Quote Originally Posted by lickmyleftone View Post
    Volkswagen Transporter Turbo Diesel Manual.

The end.
    They go well..

Turbo will blow.. And cost you $5k.

Its ok when it does it at 80thou km's in warranty, not so good at 170thou outside of warranty.

Does have better seats than the iLoad

Iload is good to be honest, mainly because youre taking price into account since its not an emotional purchase

I think Transits are shit, but ive only driven one of the huge ones.. Still drove like shit, gearstick was 1.5metres long (like the krafter) and was shit to go into 1st but it was 180thou old

Gokarts fit in a VY ute
    Last edited by yohoes; 19-10-13 at 07:57 PM.

PF's #1 soft roader advocate Captiva Fan's Avatar
    Ken Block, he sells Vans.
    Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturmovik View Post
    Or just buy a trailer and save youself buying a speciality vehicle for just one piece of equipment?
    This.

I bought a 7 x 5 box trailer new for a grand when I bought my old Rotax back in about 2008 ? Did the job perfectly, and came in handy for plenty of other things too...

Opens
    Van will be used at work for mechanics to get parts and for drivers to be shuttled between depots.

Make them sit in the box trailer too ?

Opens
    They won't even sit in a truck if it's more than 5 years old...

Quote Originally Posted by yohoes View Post

I think Transits are shit, but ive only driven one of the huge ones.. Still drove like shit, gearstick was 1.5metres long (like the krafter) and was shit to go into 1st but it was 180thou old
    Transits are shit, had 2 whilst running distribution at a previous job, horrid to drive in matching clutch take up point to throttle response on standing starts....you never want to have to think or concentrate on that aspect as it makes driving a chore. They also shat water pumps thru the radiator, and blew turbos (both)

They were the older versions with the long gear stick, Crafters have a stubby shifter from the dash.

dirtyrex, if other cunts are to be driving this van do not get the manual 400nm Transporter as they will be caning the ring out of it all the time, fwd but they are a really fun van with punch to drive!
    1978 Opel Manta SR Berlinetta 1UZFE - Project
    2013 Opel Insignia OPC - Daily
    2011 Hyundai iLoad - Work
    2015 Skoda Octavia Scout premium 132TSI - Mrs

For those who advocate a trailer, it's OK if you only race locally but a PIA if you travel to other tracks and stay overnight. You can never be sure it is not going to be broken into or stolen and it happens a fair bit. A kart trailer was taken off the tow vehicle at a road house on the Hume when the owners were taking a break and never seen again.!!

Yea the Transporters go good, even the bottom spec ones with 5sp

I swear the Caddys are Golf GTi diesels with a big boot

Fuck sake, im in a van discussion again..

Quote Originally Posted by dirtyrex View Post
    Van will be used at work for mechanics to get parts and for drivers to be shuttled between depots.
    That rules out the Vito and Transporter then, too much $$ when the staff break them. I'd be wary of Hiaces as well for the same reason, Toyota tax is alive and well on the spare parts.

I swear the Caddys are Golf GTi diesels with a big boot
    Heres my old GTi Caddy

1978 Opel Manta SR Berlinetta 1UZFE - Project
    2013 Opel Insignia OPC - Daily
    2011 Hyundai iLoad - Work
    2015 Skoda Octavia Scout premium 132TSI - Mrs

Geez thats the limo version! Tech9 tyres have a rad one on BBS LMs hahaha

We've got a (now semi-retired) short wheelbase one at work and its pretty good, if only it kept making power after 3.5k rpm haha..

Fuck if a gokart can fit in a VY, it'll totally fit in a Caddy.. Dunno what consumables like clutches n shit cost though, probably a lot haha.. Cant remember what our ones done, maybe about 140k.. Had a warranty issue with a syncro at like 20thou, and needed cv's done recently..

Still even seeing Hundi be shit cunts with warranty, its hard to recommend something like VW over a Hundi.. Dunno how you'd commit to something like a Fiat or Renault, thats a huge call
    Last edited by yohoes; 20-10-13 at 06:39 PM.

Death is for pussies... 6000SUX's Avatar
    My mate is a sparkie with a few blokes working for him. They have a Hiace, and an iLoad. They all prefer the iLoad over the Hiace as it's nicer to drive, more comfortable, and has more grunt. He's had no issues with either van.
    Can I wear the Scream mask? The mask from Scream... when I do you from behind...

Just back from the SuprKart race meeting at Collie Motorplex in WAs Southwest in the Vito, Still love it.
    GURU ENGINEERING PTY LTD

Geez thats the limo version! Tech9 tyres have a rad one on BBS LMs hahaha

We've got a (now semi-retired) short wheelbase one at work and its pretty good, if only it kept making power after 3.5k rpm haha..

Fuck if a gokart can fit in a VY, it'll totally fit in a Caddy.. Dunno what consumables like clutches n shit cost though, probably a lot haha.. Cant remember what our ones done, maybe about 140k.. Had a warranty issue with a syncro at like 20thou, and needed cv's done recently..

Still even seeing Hundi be shit cunts with warranty, its hard to recommend something like VW over a Hundi.. Dunno how you'd commit to something like a Fiat or Renault, thats a huge call
    Clutch kit and dual-mass flywheel is about $1500 plus labour for the Caddy.

Still keen on the Renault. I've got to wait til December so I can drive a manual one, before I consider ordering.

Might ring a few other dealers to check their stock, and see if I can speed up the process. They reckoned I wouldn't get one this side of next April, anyway.

I have a 2 kart trailer...parked under a tree, I now have an ex ambulance sprinter, and put both karts in the back, along with all the gear, spare motors etc, cheap on fuel, pretty good to drive, much better than towing a trailer
    E36 M3 12.92 @ 108.64mph, N/A 3.0L

Quote Originally Posted by morerevsm3 View Post
    I have a 2 kart trailer...parked under a tree, I now have an ex ambulance sprinter, and put both karts in the back, along with all the gear, spare motors etc, cheap on fuel, pretty good to drive, much better than towing a trailer
    I got the Vito to tow the Racecars around, Was hoping to drive to Darwin for Nationals but sadly there not there now. Karts in the back is a bonus.
    Collie Motorplex https://www.facebook.com/CollieMotorplex?fref=ts is an away event in WA but has a Camp ground so having so much room make it handy, Takes all the gear and a large bed.
    GURU ENGINEERING PTY LTD

Quote Originally Posted by morerevsm3 View Post
    You're a brave man touching an ex meatwagon, hackjob conversions driven into the ground.

Yeah, was going to say...

Every ex-Ambo I've ever dealt with had some sort of gremlin with the electrics, and a fucked transmission. Plus there's that concept of knowing that death occurred in there.

I've got two Transporters, one a T4, and the other a T5 on the books (customers), and both have all sorts of bizarre electrical problems. The T4 is heading down the path of needing the interior wiring harnesses replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Evo 7 View Post
    Clutch kit and dual-mass flywheel is about $1500 plus labour for the Caddy.

Still keen on the Renault. I've got to wait til December so I can drive a manual one, before I consider ordering.

Might ring a few other dealers to check their stock, and see if I can speed up the process. They reckoned I wouldn't get one this side of next April, anyway.
    Whats a Hundi or Toyota clutch worth? Thats excessive..

My LS1 single plate clutch with billet flywheel was less than that.. From the States

If something like a waterpump goes in the Renault, how long til youre able to get one? If the cars off the road for more than a week will it fuck your life?

No idea. Depends on the flywheel, at the end of the day. You'd be mad not to replace it while it's apart though. That's VW genuine, though. OEM equiv (as in same manuafacturer, no VW branding on the box) was about 30-40% cheaper.

LS1 clutch options are a lot better these days than they were when I was dicking around with them. Back then the only easily-obtainable options were the $2000 genuine kit, or a slightly cheaper, but much better, Textralia kit.

Yeah, parts availability is a bit of a concern, but the Trafic's been around in Australia since '05-ish. Not sure if the same applies for the current engine, but it can't be any worse than some of the Japanese makes.

the renault has the same damn motor as a pathfinder or navara.

when will you fucking clueless cunts realise that renault owns nissan?

because no cunts seem to have a whinge about part availability when talking about thier jap shit.
    Last edited by Imposter Forg; 23-10-13 at 03:32 PM.

There, there mate.

Yeah, back in my dealership days, we needed a motor for a D40. Couldn't get one. Only way we could, was for Nissan to get one off their production line in Spain.

Registered User bigshipengine.jpg's Avatar
    Buy an ElGrand and remove rear seats then after racing the Kart do Track days in the ElGrand like this......

It Places the lotion in the basket!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Evo 7 View Post
    There, there mate.

Yeah, back in my dealership days, we needed a motor for a D40. Couldn't get one. Only way we could, was for Nissan to get one off their production line in Spain.
    We had to steal the transmission out of a MB100 we had in stock when I worked for the Mercedes dealer.
    The print mob I worked for got one of the first ones in the country in 2004, they loved it so much they replaced it with another one a couple of years later, only issues they had was caused by the other muppets driving it.

Gotta love Brick Racing

| 1963 RK43 Toyota Lite-Stout (Stanley) | 2002 EC5W Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4 Type-S (Larry) |

Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    PF - We're not happy till you're not happy.

Little engine that could. itsnotagsr's Avatar
    1uz Volvo 240?
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
    (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
    Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02