Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New circuit for Adelaide (Tailem Bend)

Sauce?

Someone that has been working on the project for the last year or so. Not enough money to build the long version basically.

Maybe the recent $7.1M gov grant will help fix that.

$1m per km?

I was bowled over when I heard about the government grant. a few negative rumors floating around about the going ahead of this but it looks like its gathering serious momentum now. Hopefully they can attract some big international events and not just V8SC. WEC would be a dream.

Yep, great news. Seems like they know what they're doing, unlike locally.

The last i heard, the Shahin's were putting ~$80M into this, possibly more.
    So the extra $7mil is a little bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    $1m per km?
    An ordinary country roads cost at least $1mill per Km to do from start these days, and freeway quailty to carry semi's and B-doubles is 8 to 10 times that.

Figure that a motorsport venue will take ~$2mill per km to lay a road-base that will last 30-40 years and skin it with hot-mix that will survive 1500kg cars that can regenerate >1.75g lateral acceleration you have the best part of 12-14mill right there.

The add amenities - decent (permanent) pit-lane structures and associated race-day garaging and the sum will mount quickly.

I understand that a part of the business plan also included an option for motorsport preparation businesses to co-locate and also some potential for a truck-stop and trailer exchange park (like the one at Nhill on the Western highway in Vic) and it is easy to see how this could be an 80-Mill investment.

These guys are petrol heads, but are also hard-headed business people, so it will have to "work" from a RoC perspective as well.

Hope it comes off .....

Quote Originally Posted by MWP View Post
    To give some idea of scale, the main straight is exactly 1km long.
    The dark green contour lines are a 1m elevation change, so its not completely flat, but not hilly either.

The full map is here: http://kartsportnews.com/c15/tailem-bendPart2.pdf
    Looks pretty damm good to me, some tricky bits that look like they flow eg on the R side of the map, without the stop start rubbish that some tracks have.
    Last edited by 260BC; 20-05-15 at 08:55 AM.
    Richard's DatsunZ lappin LakesidZ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47OSh...&feature=g-upl

“Freedom of speech does not protect you from the consequences of saying stupid shit.”
    ― Jim C. Hines

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
    ― Daniel Patrick Moynihan

“Four hostile newspapers are more to be feared than a thousand bayonets..”
    ― Napoleon Bonaparte

Wonder if F1 will go back to South Oz. Looks like a great facility. How far out of Adelaide is it?

90Km

Suzuki Mighty Boy / BEC Rear Mid mount Suzuki 1150cc 450kg Hillclimber [in the build]

It'll never host a F1 race.
    Not without MUCH more expense which wont happen any time soon.

The track is about 1:15min drive from city center.
    https://www.google.com.au/maps/dir/A...6212!1m0?hl=en

All those complaining about the travel distance compared to Mallala all live in the northern suburbs.
    Us in the southern suburbs have been putting up with 90min travel times to Mallala forever.
    Last edited by MWP; 20-05-15 at 02:13 PM.

Makes us feel great in Sydney having only 1 track in a major city.

Adelaide only will have one also.
    As soon as the new track is built, the hole that is Mallala wont survive.

Adelaide only will have one also.
    As soon as the new track is built, the hole that is Mallala wont survive.
    Unless clem finally gets the wake up call and puts some decent facilities out there

lol jk
    www.vapeboss.com.au - big discounts for PF Cunts, PM me for a code

Saving Ol Skool Mitsi's
    So pumped for this and love the location. So I wonder if the Cougar Raceway ideas at Monarto is finally put to bed then? Link: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Couga...57117027652354

And what of AIR - will that shut down completely too? They seem to be struggling for street meet cars as it is and cancelled the 4,6 and rotor meet late last year for some reason

AIR drags are going well, I havent seen much sport compact style stuff out there though, but theres no shortage of tough v8s that want to run. I dont know what the current arrangement is regarding ownership of AIR so who knows if it'll ever get real money spent on it.

Re Mallala, it may just become a drift/supersprint land as drift is the main money maker there now. Circuit race numbers seem well down (the next state round has more excels than anything else) but the big drift events are always packed out. The land is really only farm land if they could clean it up (unlikely, it was a raaf airfield in ww2) so I can't see the value of demolition. The big q would be for when Clem kicks the bucket, anything could happen then.
    Last edited by da9jeff; 21-05-15 at 01:16 PM.

Might need to buy a holiday house up there soon....... you know for holidays :P
    CISCOKIDS
    The Gentlemen's Club
    Midnight Rocker

The last i heard, the Shahin's were putting ~$80M into this, possibly more.
    So the extra $7mil is a little bonus.
    Where have you heard that? Budget is $40m, I assume the $7m grant is on top of that. Full track layout was budgeted at around $120m so even if they were putting in $80m the $7m grant still wouldn't be enough.

This is all info from February but I don't believe it has changed significantly. In the process of confirming.

Quote Originally Posted by 333pg333 View Post
    Wonder if F1 will go back to South Oz. Looks like a great facility. How far out of Adelaide is it?
    As MWP said, not a chance. They are going for FIA Grade 2 accreditation, F1 requires Grade 1 and is ridiculously expensive.

Saving Ol Skool Mitsi's
    Quote Originally Posted by ROBAPHENT View Post
    Might need to buy a holiday house up there soon....... you know for holidays :P
    I feel like I've kinda won lotto - I've got 150 Acres about 30mins from the track site and been slaving the past couple of years building my shack and setting the place up. Epic Motorsport weekends are a high possibility with a short commute back to the shack

I don't usually get too perturbed by internet comments, but I nearly drop kneed my desk top monitor at work reading comments from fuckwits posting on FB... "oh, it's too far away" or "government should be spending money elsewhere" etc. etc.

Nothing will please me more if/when this happens, not only because it's the best thing to happen for motorsport in SA in my life time, but for the actual fact that tumble weeds will be the only thing that will grace Mallala Motorsport Park, for good. Fuck Clem Smith the scrooge cunt.

This proposal gets me very happy in the pants.
    Mallala Motorsport Park - 1:11.71 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tY85CK31if8
    Wakefield Park Raceway - 1:05.31 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PREI-jK4L98
    Mt. Alma Mile Hill Climb - 41.67 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTmaG8jn3Tw

Yeah agreed.
    I would be happy if those morons stay out at Mallala, and never use the new track.

I don't think Clem has become rich from race track ownership, in fact, I seriously doubt any race track in Australia would have the average ROI from having same amount of money tied up in an average return business like industrial warehousing or something, yes, Mallala is uninspiring and run down, but doesn't get the numbers through the gate to generate the revenue needed to do anything about it, it is still there and open because Clem is a racer and enthusiast, and while I don't get drifting, if that is where the revenue comes from to keep it open for racing, why would you want them kicked out?

P.S. I have only met Clem twice, and not suggesting things could have been done differently or better, but the alternative until now has been ???
    E36 M3 12.92 @ 108.64mph, N/A 3.0L

You're spot on. Terrible business other than land banking like oran park.
    Retard Honour Wall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    Rob Sloth Young did i ask for your opinion? no. i only want it for a paddock bomb. go play with traffic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles View Post
    you stupid fucken imbicle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles
    your are a fucken idiot of the highest level.

clem keeps it going. hes 100 years old and i recon we are fucking very lucky he is still going cause if he goes id say mallala will too.
    without mallala the last 15 years circuit racing in SA would have been dead.
    Originally Posted by Tut
    THEY SHOULD ANALYY RAPE THEMSELVES WITH A FUCING CACTUS UPSIDE DOWN WITH COCONIUTS AND PINEABPPLES AS CHRISTMAS BALLS THE FUCKNIG THIEVENG CUNTS ID RATHER DIE FROM HAVING A RAINBOW UNICORN URETHRALLY RAPE ME THAN TO FUCKNIG DO BUSINESS WITH THEM CUTNST EVER AGAN

Pretty sure it's like most other business' Mate, you NEED to spend 'some' money BUILDING your investment, by enhancing and attracting interested and/or diversifying. Decent track/facilities will bring the masses. Should have happened many years ago. Sadly, Clem has sucked the life out of motor sport enthusiasts for his own financial gain.

Last event I went to was Mallala the old national drifting series, $50 per day to spectate!!! the place was packed, but it looks all the same as back before I was born in the late 80's. (Both my parent worked there a lot as officials)
    Clem may have kept the track open but I'd hate to think of the damage that's happened to the state championships cost wise.

Cougar seems to be drag racing so that could still go ahead, track requirements are too different to make it part of the circuit. Hidden Valley runs the drag strip next to the main straight for that reason.

AIR struggles because it's never had good pit facilities, it's survived because of the speedway next door I would say. That said I got to do a V8 drive day there and it's a fun club level / Sprint meet layout.

Quote Originally Posted by ma61turbo View Post
    Where have you heard that? Budget is $40m, I assume the $7m grant is on top of that. Full track layout was budgeted at around $120m so even if they were putting in $80m the $7m grant still wouldn't be enough.
    This is all info from February but I don't believe it has changed significantly. In the process of confirming.
    Seems my source was correct

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/...-1227364426357

Aaaaand Mallala is now owned by the good Dr Shahin! Hopefully for the betterment of SA motorsport

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Daily: Honda Civic EK1 Hatch

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah