Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 31 to 41 of 41

Thread: advice on best intercooler core

  1. #31
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Busselton
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by venicebeach View Post
    What's the general consensus on intercooler cores these days?

    Having trouble finding any data on the plazmaman that warrants the price tag.

    Looking for something efficient in the 700-800hp range.
    To suit what car?
    Ive added an interchiller to mine.
    Fuck me - it works like a charm even when using e85

  2. #32
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by Faedy View Post
    To suit what car?
    Ive added an interchiller to mine.
    Fuck me - it works like a charm even when using e85
    gay audi thing. just need something with the rough dimensions of 600x300x upto 90mm that is going to flow 700hp-ish.

    was looking at the treadstone units from america, $650 landed for something that is rated to around that.. just not sure if they're any better than a cheap plazmaman chinesium or not.

  3. #33
    Opens
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,244
    Quote Originally Posted by venicebeach
    cheap plazmaman chinesium
    Plazmaman uses cores sourced out of Europe.

  4. #34
    Registered User Dimi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    1,675
    Quote Originally Posted by gxxr View Post
    Plazmaman uses cores sourced out of Europe.
    Yep exactly

    The difference between a 700 murcia HP/unknown flow bar and plate heat sink and a plazmaman tube and fin core is a truck load of efficiency.
    Oh and probably half the weight

  5. #35
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimi View Post
    Yep exactly

    The difference between a 700 murcia HP/unknown flow bar and plate heat sink and a plazmaman tube and fin core is a truck load of efficiency.
    Oh and probably half the weight
    treadstone list their cfm ratings for all of their cores... that's more than plazmaman's "good for xxxhp".

  6. #36
    GTFO of my ED doctor ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    irgendwo
    Posts
    4,510
    cfm = hp = no difference in dick pulling statistics

    piece of hollow pipe would flow heaps too, doent make it a good intercooler
    Mit freundlichen Gre

    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Duckworth View Post
    "I think that in a racing engine, the closer it is to disintegrating, in general the better its performance will be "

  7. #37
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by doctor ed View Post
    cfm = hp = no difference in dick pulling statistics

    piece of hollow pipe would flow heaps too, doent make it a good intercooler
    yes, obviously so, but just because x car made x hp with a plazmaman intercooler doesn't mean it's efficient at that level either.

    i prefer to buy things based on data, rather than just because 'old mate said it will work'. i don't think that's necessarily a bad thing

  8. #38
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Wrong.
    Posts
    7,133
    Hp = cfm.

    unless youre running hydrazine and peroxide for thrust, its a pretty safe bet both are directly related in normal car circles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosshoggett View Post
    If your planing to drive this on the road and enjoy it, id suggest a second opinion, someone with a history in Australian Rally or Fink River . If your just playing dyno comps. Then ok

  9. #39
    GTFO of my ED doctor ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    irgendwo
    Posts
    4,510
    "old mate said it flows 11ty cfm" = so what? at what pressure? with what pressure drop? whats the thermal conductivity/heat transfer coefficient?

    quoting cfm is literally the same as hp. if buying things on data, best to know what data is relevant
    Mit freundlichen Gre

    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Duckworth View Post
    "I think that in a racing engine, the closer it is to disintegrating, in general the better its performance will be "

  10. #40
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by doctor ed View Post
    "old mate said it flows 11ty cfm" = so what? at what pressure? with what pressure drop? whats the thermal conductivity/heat transfer coefficient?

    quoting cfm is literally the same as hp. if buying things on data, best to know what data is relevant
    they say '1200cfm, 1.5psi pressure drop at max flow' (assuming that's 1200cfm?).

    I guess the price point of the treadstone is also appealing, almost half the price of the plazmaman (for the same rating).

    point taken though, i appreciate the reply.

  11. #41
    Still Rotating... Eeyore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Ipswich, Qld
    Posts
    2,745
    Looking at various cheap China coolers with forward facing pipes for another project with limited room in the front. A touchy subject but broadly speaking what would I expect the flow or HP limitations of a core around 320x300x70 with 2.75 pipes to be? Much wider and the size/shape of the tanks will become a problem. Another option would be the v-mount core from a Greddy FD RX7 kit 400x266x100 but would require a lot of butchery to the pipe work and would probably be difficult to find on its own.
    Last edited by Eeyore; 04-12-18 at 08:42 PM.
    1971 Mazda 1300 Estate Deluxe 1500cc Twin SU - 1979 Mazda RX7 12APP - 1994 Mazda Familia GTR - 1973 Mazda 1300 Wagon

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •