Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 64 Pontiac Parisienne.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Registered User bigshipengine.jpg's Avatar

64 Pontiac Parisienne.

Bought this a few months ago as a cruiser and havent had to do anything to it until now so no point in a build thread etc etc.

Thread about buying it..... http://performanceforums.com/forums/...iac-Parisienne

Anyways the last couple of times i have driven it i have noticed a clicking noise when you move from a standstill.
    Noise went away above about 10 Km/h. Jumped under it a few days ago and found the center bearing body is broken and allowing it to hit inside the X Frame (Parisienne's runs the same X Frame Chassis as 58-64 Chevs)
    As the Tail Shaft runs through the center of the X like this.....

Luckily PontiWorld is about 5 mins from my house and they had a Center Bearing in stock.

Removed the Tailshaft and found the center Bearing mount had split the whole way around the base

Old and Busted ass....

New overnight part from Japan....

Refitted new one and all good. Google has shown me the original ones are a bit pissweak and Heavy duty aftermarket ones are available if this fucks out any time soon.

Felt good getting under the Ol Barge and learning some more about it.....
    It Places the lotion in the basket!

Beautiful car man.
    Know what you mean about the getting under it and learning more. Its one thing to look at the book/interweb and go "oh yeah". But once you actually pull it apart and put it all back together again, you learn all the little unique quirks your own personal car has. It's quite cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by oioioioioi View Post
    I've never said or implied everyone on that page was a deadshit - just that there's a concentration of deadshits there. Think of it like a mine, but instead of a rich vein of gold bearing quartz, it's a rich vein of spastic bearing facebook posts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sketchy View Post
    Any peanut who thinks they could have done it better from the comfort of their armchair or work desk is a genuine mong level potato.

Get into it Marco its awesome just loping around in a big cruiser.

That underbody shot is a Pic off Google images i used to show where the Bearing is and the X Frame.
    They have rear coils from the factory.

Heres a view of the Chassis from above showing rear coils.....

Former hairdresser Captain_Slow's Avatar
    Very nice. There's a white one of these that regularly visits someone near my place. I'm in love with it. Got a real lust for big old cruisers recently.

Yeah for sure.
    It has HQ Disc brake conversion on the front but it didnt seem to stop thatwell and needed lots of pedal pressure so i adjusted the rear drums while under there.
    Clearly the old owner didnt know how to do it as they where way out. Stops even better than i was hoping now. Happy days.

Just noticed the coils in the rear. Is that stock or has someone converted it??
    I've never said or implied everyone on that page was a deadshit - just that there's a concentration of deadshits there. Think of it like a mine, but instead of a rich vein of gold bearing quartz, it's a rich vein of spastic bearing facebook posts.
    Any peanut who thinks they could have done it better from the comfort of their armchair or work desk is a genuine mong level potato.

Quote Originally Posted by Soopy View Post
    Just noticed the coils in the rear. Is that stock or has someone converted it??
    It's not an EH

It's kinda funny how people, especially old dudes, that have grown up around 60s strayan cars think that everything from that period has wind up windows, leaf springs, no power steering and a 3 speed manual. Electric everything in the Caddy blows their mind lol
    Quote Originally Posted by RVK 355 View Post
    Hold it flat cunt

the Bel Air also has springs in the back, stock. Same chassis so I assume stock as well.

I wonder how compatible they all are - I wonder if you could import a show 2 door body from the US and plonk it on your registered chassis.

Mines Factory RHD so besides changing over things to suit that i cant see why not? May just need to put the Dash out of the Parisienne in the LHD Body?

Honestly Would rather just sell this one and buy a Catalina / Bonneville / Impala down the track. The Green Catalina i saw at Harrys Liverpool last month pretty '
    much sums up what id like one day......

This one

What motor is in it?

Mine has a small block Chev no idea about the Catalina i couldnt find the owner.
    Last edited by bigshipengine.jpg; 23-12-16 at 06:15 AM.

Cool rig. That centre bearing should be fine if you're not putting a lot of horsepower through it. I ended up putting a solid alloy/nolathene one in mine, but then also put a slip joint in the drive shaft as the new centre bearing doesn't flex like the original rubber one.

Yeah I read about doing the slip joint.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bigshipengine.jpg; 23-12-16 at 06:29 AM.

Took it out for a good run yesterday from Shellharbour to Bundeena and Centerbearing all good.
    Tried Grabbing a few pics of it but my Daughter is very proud of it and insisted on being in all the photos.
    Got plenty of people coming over to check it out and look at it. Funny hearing Japs talking in Japanese and the only word you hear in english mid sentence is "Pontiac"

very very cool. makes me wish i still had my valiant
    '67 Volkswagen Beetle 1300cc
    '09 VE SS

Quote Originally Posted by Scrad
    You are like some sort of car rapist, Sticking things where they don't belong, and often don't fit nicely

Cheers mate im very happy with it.

Very nice
    Were the rear indicators added for local compliance?
    www.brisbanecityfitnessbootcamp.com.au/brisbane-bootcamp/
    www.vapourblastingbrisbane.com.au/

Quote Originally Posted by uuheels View Post
    Very nice
    Were the rear indicators added for local compliance?
    No thats how the Indicators are from the factory (i agree they look a bit added on)
    There not added for compliance as its a factory Right hand drive that was built in the Holden factory in Adelaide new in 64.
    These and the RHD Impalas of the era where built in Adelaide as CKD kits from Canada. Kind of the same as the Cruizes are built there now as a kit from Korea except the people that made the kits for the Pontiac dont eat dog.
    Im not sure if the Parisiennes in Canada had the same Indicators as the Aussie assembled one though?

HTH.

Tits.

This thing is tits.

As far as I know the indicators are an Australian thing only, as our 'highway code' at the time decreed that the turn signal needed to be a separate amber lens. This way was easier and cheaper than remaking the whole tail-light assembly to have a separate red brake and amber indicator lights. My '65 factory RHD Bel-Air used an Impala boot lid for this very reason (the Impala had three lights per side, Bel-Air only had two). Aussie '65 Bel-Airs used the third light as an indicator with a unique to Aus amber lens.

BTW, don't break those indicator lenses. I've only ever seen one NOS set for sale and there are no reproductions AFAIK.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie256 View Post
    I hate being a nigger.
    Quote Originally Posted by myliberty View Post
    "We never get that high tech jap stuff in here, should be no problem though" lol

Meh
    Quote Originally Posted by thedude View Post
    BTW, don't break those indicator lenses. I've only ever seen one NOS set for sale and there are no reproductions AFAIK.
    If you get really desperate there's a translucent amber plastic I can use on my 3D printer. You'd just have to find someone good at CAD work to design the lenses.

BTW, bloody nice car!

Add on indicators are probably Lucas, which iirc there are reproduction ones available in the UK.

Thanks Bill.
    Hopefully indicator lenses wont need replacing anytime soon!

Also, if you don't know already (I suspect you do) there's a big GM spares mob near you in Albion Park. Pontiworld or US GM Spares, they helped me out a few times when I had my '65.

https://pontiworld.com.au/usgmsp/index.php
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie256 View Post
    I hate being a nigger.
    Quote Originally Posted by myliberty View Post
    "We never get that high tech jap stuff in here, should be no problem though" lol

Love it. I've got a '62 Bonneville 4dr HT I'm doing up ATM.

To answer your questions about US vs Canadian/Aussie Pontiacs, pretty much nothing is interchangeable. The US Ponchos run proper Pontiac perimeter chassis set-up (still coil all round), Wide Track (not on Catalinas tho I think), Poncho V8s, Poncho-specific T350/400s, brakes, etc. The guards, nose cone, bonnet, etc are all different too.

Indicators are not there on US Ponchos, either. If you ever get stuck for parts, try the Original Parts Group (but tell them you've got a Canadian Poncho) or Steve Barcak at Pontiac Heaven.

Yeah in the first post of thread i said
    I got the Center bearing from Pontiworld. Very handy shop to have around the corner. Keeps a good range of stock also.

As always, if you need help with parts getting sent but you're getting reamed on shipping, drop me a line.

Sweet thanks.