Page 307 of 328 FirstFirst ... 207257297303304305306307308309310311317 ... LastLast
Results 9,181 to 9,210 of 9830

Thread: F1 Shit Talk Thread -

Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    Only small teething issues for McLaren though, not piles of steaming exploded engines.

Happy for TR!
    it sounds like you're writing Alonso's press releases....
    RB26......................Again

I'd like to see McLaren back up the front, but the more I see the less hope I have...
    Starting to believe the rumour they ran their car on high downforce/drag all the time last year just so they could claim their chassis was great...

Yeah they are looking more and more like becoming the next Williams than fighting their way back to the top of the grid.
    If in doubt power out

Quote Originally Posted by Rona View Post
    Seems to be a lot of overheating issues with body work being too close to various engine components. That's a Mclaren problem and something they also ran into with the Honda powerplant.
    This

Big call on the high downforce set up to shit can Honda and make the chassis look great. Wouldn’t surprise me though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Babalouie View Post
    Geez we're a bunch of softcocks...we have a 911 and we're obsessing over non-functional ducts and indicator colours

Never read it anywhere and usually something teams would point out, for instance at Monza or Spa where there were literally walked over was no mention they were running unusual Wong angles.

No one has pointed out that they have one of the least complex barge board/side pod setups on the grid though, to me that screams shoot from the hip or they are onto something
    Quote Originally Posted by Faux Forg View Post
    I agree with Rdyno

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi EK4 View Post
    100% Agree Mclaren has been lost since 2009 IMO

They have had a few good cars but instead of refining and devloping that concept they have totally ditched the concept and started again..seems to be a team that is lacking techncial leadership

Reading the Adrian Newey books gives great insight into how Mclaren works
    They had the best/equal best car in 2012 - that one will always hurt. So many small reliability fuck ups.

I am a McLaren fan, would love to see them back near the front. But I do agree their last few years have been a cluster fuck.
    #teamtremolo
    Quote Originally Posted by brasher
    TJ is 99% African American.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy View Post
    And i'd still fuck Betty....

They had the best/equal best car in 2012 - that one will always hurt. So many small reliability fuck ups.

I am a McLaren fan, would love to see them back near the front. But I do agree their last few years have been a cluster fuck.
    There is no clear leadership to many group decsion making sessions - Newy details it beautifully in his book "How to build a Car"

Little engine that could. itsnotagsr's Avatar
    You could add Williams to the same camp. Sam Michael has a lot to answer for, the beginning of the slide. Paddy's legacy will be defined if he can turn this around.
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
    (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
    Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi EK4 View Post
    There is no clear leadership to many group decsion making sessions - Newy details it beautifully in his book "How to build a Car"
    Yes because I'm sure McLaren still has that same management style 12 years later since he worked there. Based off that thinking Red Bull must still be the clusterfuck it was when owned by Jaguar.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke352 View Post
    Yes because I'm sure McLaren still has that same management style 12 years later since he worked there. Based off that thinking Red Bull must still be the clusterfuck it was when owned by Jaguar.
    Alot of the same people are still with Mclaren...Tim Goss was one Newey mentioned in his book and I belive is now there Techncial Director..........Redbull cleared the deck of Jaguar managment when they took over
    Last edited by Kiwi EK4; 09-03-18 at 08:24 AM.

Yup, Ford was the ball and chain on jag racing.
    I agree with Rdyno

The royal penis is clean tremolo's Avatar

McLaren rn

damn that slow honda en-oh wait

Must be all the downforce they are running to rubbish the Renault engine
    #teamtremolo
    Quote Originally Posted by brasher
    TJ is 99% African American.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy View Post
    And i'd still fuck Betty....

Given the two Williams are slowest and =3rd quickest, it's fair to say the chosen setup has more of an influence than engine power in these numbers. Mostly down force levels but also tyre selection.

Times from that test day - note 5 different types of tyres being used.

1) Vettel, Ferrari, 185 laps, Hypersoft tyres - 1:17.182;
    2) Magnussen, Haas, 150 laps, Supersoft tyres - 1:18.360;
    3) Gasly, Toro Rosso, 169 laps, Hypersoft tyres - 1:18.373;
    4) Hulkenberg, Renault, 79 laps, Hypersoft tyres - 1:18.675;
    5) Sainz, Renault, 66 laps, Hypersoft tyres - 1:18.725;
    6) Vandoorne, McLaren, 148 laps, Hypersoft tyres - 1:18.855;
    7) Ericsson, Sauber, 146 laps, Hypersoft tyres - 1:19.244;
    8) Hamilton, Mercedes, 84 laps, Medium tyres - 1:19.296;
    9) Bottas, Mercedes, 97 laps, Medium tyres, 1:19.532;;
    10) Kubica, Williams, 73 laps, Supersoft tyres - 1:19.629;
    11) Perez, Force India, 155 laps, Hypersoft tyres - 1:19.634.
    12) Verstappen, Red Bull, 187 laps, Soft tyres - 1:19.842;
    13) Stroll, Williams, 64 laps, Ultrasoft tyres - 1:20.262.

Short, not so fat cunt. redbucket's Avatar
    As good a place as any. I have an RBR team shirt from 2010. I bought it from the EU store, and it didn't fit when it arrived, as I was too fat. I got to wear it twice while I fit into it a few months back, and it's now back in the cupboard never to be worn again. It's an EU size XXL, but probably an XL equivalent here. If anyone is interested let me know. Hate to see it go to vinnie's and not an F1 fan who will at least wear it. Can take some pics if anyone wants.

this signature intentionally left blank

Hilarious. Was it a race?
    Last edited by Shonky; 09-03-18 at 02:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by redbucket View Post
    As good a place as any. I have an RBR team shirt from 2010. I bought it from the EU store, and it didn't fit when it arrived, as I was too fat. I got to wear it twice while I fit into it a few months back, and it's now back in the cupboard never to be worn again. It's an EU size XXL, but probably an XL equivalent here. If anyone is interested let me know. Hate to see it go to vinnie's and not an F1 fan who will at least wear it. Can take some pics if anyone wants.
    i'll take it. Pm me your details and I'll pay for the shirt and post if youre willing to ship it. Totally understand if you couldnt be bothered.
    RB26......................Again

you cant spell advertisements without semen between the tits

Must be all the downforce they are running to rubbish the Renault engine
    haha zing
    "What in the gay caped fuck is that?" by Shonky

Short, not so fat cunt. redbucket's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fly510 View Post
    i'll take it. Pm me your details and I'll pay for the shirt and post if youre willing to ship it. Totally understand if you couldnt be bothered.
    No dramas. PM sent.

See post below.
    Last edited by Luke352; 10-03-18 at 04:22 AM.

Ok, so it's nighshift and i'm bored so I combined all the testing times.

Top 20 by Luke Edwards, on Flickr

So based on the above the Ferraris look good along with the Mclaren , Red Bull, and Renault. BUT if we allow for Tyre differences per Pirelli's estimated deltas found here https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/p...s-1013128/?s=1

We end up with this.

See Column J
    Top 20 tyre allowance by Luke Edwards, on Flickr

Mercedes look epic yet again.
    I think Ferrari and Red Bull will be racing each other for 3rd and the odd 2nd again.
    I think McLaren may have manged to get up to best of the rest or on par with the other best of the rest. I say this because considering the lack of track time they had Alonso still managed some decent times and on track reports say the car looks like it is well behaved.
    I reckon the Williams time is an oddity as the Williams has been pretty poor throughout testing from reports.
    I find the Haas times surprising as it is above what the on track observers have ranked them so I reckon it will be Haas, Mclaren, Renault fighting it out.
    Then I reckon Toro Rosso --> Force India --> Sauber.
    Honda may have got the reliability sorted but the power still isn't there.
    Force India appear to have gone backwards.
    Sauber, well you aren't going to turn your luck around that quickly.

Of course we have no idea of fuel loads so it could all mean nothing.
    Last edited by Luke352; 10-03-18 at 04:31 AM.

Edd Straws take http://www.autosport.com/f1/feature/...f1-testing-war
    Similar thoughts to mine.

Copy paste it for us?

Here you go. Article from above.

Evolution has beaten revolution in the 2018 Formula 1 pre-season season. So far, that is. The Mercedes W09 is not a dramatic change from its predecessor, but it is a clear step forward and shares one thing in column with its four ancestors in the V6 turbo hybrid era of grand prix racing - it has raised the bar. And it is seriously fast.

But with Mercedes there to be shot at, one thing appears to have changed. Ferrari has been aggressive with its car, switching to a higher-rake design and making changes to its aerodynamic concept.

The result is a car that might even struggle to be second-best. Red Bull, with its slim sidepods and, even with the limitation of its Renault engine package, emerges from testing reckoned by many to be the team best placed to take the fight to Mercedes.

All of this is at odds with what the headline laptimes suggest, with Sebastian Vettel setting the fastest overall time on the penultimate day of the second test with a best lap of 1m17.182s. That was set on hypersofts, and was a new unofficial lap record for this configuration of Barcelona's Catalunya circuit. But in identical fuel and tyre trim, there's no doubt the Mercedes will be well into the 1m16s bracket.

Looking at the fastest times set by each car over the course of the eight days of testing paints a misleading picture. This does not factor in fuel loads, which will have varied, and there are some dissenters from the majority that set their quickest times using the hypersoft. For reference, the average step from soft to super soft is 0.4 seconds, then a further 0.6s to ultrasoft, and then 0.7-0.8s to the hypersoft.

Raw pace

1 Ferrari 1m17.182s (hypersoft)
    2 McLaren 1m17.784s (hypersoft)
    3 Red Bull 1m18.047s (hypersoft)
    4 Renault 1m18.092s (hypersoft)
    5 Haas 1m18.360s (supersoft)
    6 Toro Rosso 1m18.363s (hypersoft)
    7 Mercedes 1m18.400s (ultrasoft)
    8 Force India 1m18.967s (hypersoft)
    9 Sauber 1m19.118s (hypersoft)
    10 Williams 1m19.189s (soft)

While the tyre differences are easy to see (with the caveat that different cars will have different lap time gains from compound to compound), the fuel load is opaque. It's easy to overlook as a result, but with 0.3-0.4s penalty, dependent on the track, per 10kg of fuel it's very significant. The best Mercedes time was not set with anything like a qualifying fuel load.

Even if you adjust for the compound choice, the picture is very sketchy - although we can be confident that Fernando Alonso's McLaren time, set late on Friday with a qualifying simulation level of fuel, is a good reflection of that car's absolute pace.

But one area where these cars find it more difficult to mislead is on long-run times. Again, there are caveats here for long runs and race simulations, with conditions varying, the fact some teams might play some games with the fuel loads if they don't do live pitstops and roll the car into the garage, and variations in compounds and approaches.

There are also red flags, traffic and variable conditions to be taken into account. But looking at the race simulations completed during Thursday and Friday paints a very interesting picture.

There are compromises in this methodology - sometimes you do not get complete race stints, but it is possible to make adjustments to try to get a fair set of data without distorting the picture. Without the data-crunching capacities of the teams, and just the pace, tyres and other pieces of information, to do this puts Mercedes perhaps 0.4s clear.

Bearing in mind that race pace tends to close the gap, that tallies with the suspicion Mercedes has an even bigger advantage on single-lap pace and could nail that 1m16s lap very easily.

Surprisingly, it's actually Ferrari that comes out second best on this basis, one tenth faster than Red Bull. But there are problems with the fact that this is based on Max Verstappen's aborted race run on Thursday, which came to an end with a moment in the final chicane when he suffered a quarter spin after the right-rear completely gave up on entry. Troubles on Friday meant Daniel Ricciardo couldn't complete a representative run.

Red Bull's pace is also compromised by the fact the Renault power unit package is running in a conservative trim for reliability reasons. Reckoned to be 40-50bhp down already, there are planned upgrades to the ERS that Renault hopes to deploy later in the season, but it seems unlikely to be before June at the earliest - and possibly a lot later.

It's clear Ferrari has work to do if it is to close the gap to Mercedes - a gap that, unfortunately, might have grown a little since last season

Renault's position is that it will revisit the way it is running its engines based on what it has learned in testing, but it seems likely Red Bull will at least start the season still saddled with reliability concerns - and therefore an engine performance deficit as well. All in all, the performance gain from last season from the package stands at around 0.4s, with around three tenths of that the performance that could not be used at the end of last season because of the need to be conservative.

At Ferrari, the engine package looks strong, with the main concerns over the chassis. The switch to high rake has visibly caused some problems and the tea-try under the front of the monocoque can be heard scrapping along the ground in the final phases of Turns 3, 9 and 14. Improvements need to be made on the control of the mechanical platform, at the rear in particular, to make the most of this concept.

Add this to the changes to the approach with the front wing, and it's clear Ferrari has some work to do if it is to close the gap to Mercedes - a gap that, unfortunately, looks like it might have grown a little since last season.

The positive side of that is there is a lot more to come from the car once it is sorted out, so keep an eye on Ferrari's development rate through the campaign. This is what happens when one team opts for evolution and the other aims for revolution - and was exactly why Mercedes did not hurl itself down the high-rake path.

Further back, Haas and Force India look closely matched, but with the latter bringing an upgrade that is hoped to be worth half-a-second to the Australian Grand Prix, that could change dramatically. It underlines why Haas needs to make hay early in the year with a car that looks basic compared to some, but that clearly works.

McLaren's race run with Stoffel Vandoorne was compromised with problems getting a set of mediums up to temperature, with the 'alternate' medium produced by Pirelli's Turkish factory (currently, its Romanian factory is producing the regular tyres).

This places it two seconds off the pace, and four tenths faster than Renault. But Alonso's single lap pace and the hints from Renault suggest it should be closer to the pace than that. What it does show is that the midfield battle remains a fascinating one. Currently, you'd bet on McLaren to, in qualifying at least, be best of the rest in fourth place - especially with a major upgrade planned for Australia.

That package also needs to cure the rear-end stability issues going into slow corners. Force India and Haas are both dark horses - with Renault's pace suggesting that it will only be a few tenths behind McLaren. As always in this part of the field in testing, it's a messy picture.

What is genuinely worrying for McLaren is reliability. Even if it does have the pace to be best-of-the-rest, and it should do, it needs to run reliably. Cooling problems, extra cuts in the bodywork and multiple red flags are not promising. But the car did at least complete one race simulation in the hands of Vandoorne this week.

Further back, Toro Rosso and Sauber look to be 2.7s and three seconds down respectively. Williams, which looked very questionable on pace during its runs, didn't produce laptime data that fits into this kind of analysis. But it doesn't look great for the team.

As always in testing, much of the above could be proved wrong come Australia. But what you can be absolutely sure of is that you should not be betting against Mercedes. And despite the race run comparison, go for Red Bull to be its nearest challenger.

Even taking into account the fact that all of the above numbers are inevitably cloudy and that it won't be until the Australian Grand Prix in two weeks that we really see where everyone stands, that's an ominous sign.

On current evidence, Ferrari's record of five consecutive drivers'/constructors' championship titles is under serious threat of being equalled this year.

Good article. Thanks for sharing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Babalouie View Post
    Geez we're a bunch of softcocks...we have a 911 and we're obsessing over non-functional ducts and indicator colours

Anyone else see the tremendous smoke show coming from the ferrari garage whenever they started their car, and noted all the Ferrari cars on track were pouring out breather smoke. Interesting with the whole oil burn saga from last year
    I agree with Rdyno

Gary Anderson's take.

There will be plenty of people out there who will disagree with this analysis of the competitive order based on pre-season testing. And I hope I am wrong.

To make any sense out of these two pre-season tests is pretty difficult. But over the days a trend emerges, and that trend points to Mercedes having once again done an exceptional job.

You would have to tick all the boxes: performance, reliability and tyre degradation all look to be under control with the W09. The only little fly in the ointment might just be that Mercedes won't be as good as others when push comes to shove using softer tyres for qualifying.

Mercedes has bucketloads of data on the medium and probably the soft tyres, but less than other teams on the super, ultra and hypersoft versions. We can but hope.

I'm not going to get into what actual fuel loads different teams were running, because I would only be guessing. Suffice to say that normally the smaller teams would go for a glory run more often than the bigger teams. Fuel weight is a fairly straight delta to the lap time, so they can just apply that to know where they really stand.

I'm using the following differences in pace between compounds, based on what we've seen from the lap times rather than simply using Pirelli's averages:

Medium to soft - 0.2s

Soft to supersoft - 0.4s

Supersoft to ultrasoft - 0.6s

Ultrasoft to hypersoft - 0.8s

Add to that a fuel effect of 0.05s per lap for the fuel load reduction on the run that the time was set on and we can create an adjusted ranking. Unless stated, these were set on day four of the final test.

Pirelli reckons that the medium to soft tyre delta should be 0.8 seconds. But if you use that the Mercedes isn't just ahead - it's miles ahead. And I don't agree, anyway.

Adjusted performance

1 Mercedes 1m16.075s
    2 Red Bull 1m16.527s
    3 Haas 1m16.560s (day 3)
    4 Ferrari 1m16.921s
    5 Williams 1m17.089s
    6 Renault 1m17.092s (day 2)
    7 McLaren 1m17.584s
    8 Toro Rosso 1m18.163s (day 3)
    9 Force India 1m18.617s
    10 Sauber 1m18.844s

1 Mercedes 1m16.075s - 1040 laps

The main problem with Mercedes - for everybody else - is that the dominant team of this era of F1 had a small problem last year. That led to head scratching, and with the expertise in Brackley and Brixworth that's probably the worst thing that could have happened to the rest.

Mercedes has put together a package that you could argue was a development of last year's car, and that was the right thing to do. Mercedes knew the speed was in there, it was just about unlocking it on more occasions.

So its challenge was to identify why this happened and rectify the problem. From what we have seen so far, the car is definitely quick. But we will have to wait until we hit a few other tracks to see if any of those 'diva' characteristics carry over.

On the track, the car looks good. Not perfect, but it gives the drivers confidence, which is a major asset when they need to go and find lap time.

2 Red Bull 1m16.527s - 783 laps
    Deficit to front over last four races of 2017: 0.40%
    Deficit to front in testing 2018: 0.59%

Red Bull has done a good job, but not quite good enough. A bit of that will still be in the Renault versus Mercedes power unit performance, but that's what Red bull has got to work with.

The car looks pretty good on the track and Red Bull has two very hungry drivers ready for success, but if they don't start the season with a win or two their enthusiasm may drop fairly quickly. You can be best of the rest for only so long.

Over the test days, the reliability wasn't perfect and if Red Bull is going to challenge for either of the championships, reliability needs to be rock solid. There will be enough outside factors that mean Red Bull won't finish all the races, but self-inflicted issues need to be a thing of the past from both Red Bull and Renault.

3 Haas 1m16.560s - 694 laps
    Deficit to front over last four races of 2017: 2.85%
    Deficit to front in testing 2018: 0.640%

If this is real progress then I am impressed. When Haas revealed its car, it all looked a bit tame to me but taking something that you understand and making it better could just be the right thing for this relatively small team.

Haas really needs to concentrate of consistency and keeping up with development, as this is where the team mainly fell down last year. We won't know if it has got on top of that until we are well into the season.

If Haas can also either fix Romain Grosjean's brakes or get him to brake a couple of meters earlier then more progress will be made. I am pretty impressed with what Kevin Magnussen is bringing to the team, and Grosjean will be driven on by that.

4 Ferrari 1m16.921s - 929 laps
    Deficit to front over last four races of 2017: 0.07%
    Deficit to front in testing 2018: 1.11%

This time last year, I was praising Ferrari for its aggressive approach to the new regulations. And on the circuit, the car looked really good. It didn't matter which tyre it was on, the balance seemed to be there.

This year, from what I have seen of the car at the first pre-season test, Ferrari doesn't seem to have moved on that much.

On the track, the car looks pretty good but it looks on the limit. Try to push that little bit more and it just slides wide. Even so, it's pretty well balanced, but just not the grip level of the Mercedes.

If this performance deficit is real then there will be dark clouds over Maranello and it won't be long before the chopping block is out.

5 Williams 1m17.089s - 819 laps
    Deficit to front over last four races of 2017: 2.00%
    Deficit to front in testing 2018: 1.33%

I'm probably as surprised as anyone to see Williams here, but it has changed its car's aerodynamics and probably mechanical design philosophy dramatically. The car is a mix of Ferrari and Mercedes concepts and it does look like Williams got a reasonable handle on how to make it work late in testing.

It would be good to see Williams back in contention. After all, it has a long and impressive pedigree. However, that means nothing: it is tomorrow that counts and I think the team has realised that by bringing in Paddy Lowe from Mercedes and Dirk de Beer From Ferrari.

Williams has two relatively inexperienced drivers, but that can also be a positive when you are trying to build a team, The old hardened professional driver can sometimes be a pain in the arse because they know everything about how their previous team worked instead of just driving the wheels off what they now have.

6 Renault 1m17.092s - 795 laps
    Deficit to front over last four races of 2017: 1.64%
    Deficit to front in testing 2018: 1.34%

Renault has been building the team back to what is required to challenge for race wins, but at some point you need to say 'OK, we are there now, how are we doing?'. I believe this is the year to ask that question.

The big challenge for Renault is to be ahead of McLaren, and over this test it has just about made it. Red Bull is a team that has been operating a high level for quite a few years, so it should still be out of touch this year. That said, it won't stop Renault trying. But I think it will be reasonably happy as long as it can consistently make progress as the season unfolds.

Renault had quite a few reliability problems that must be got on top of. This happened last year as well, costing quite a few points, so the team knows the importance of getting to the chequered flag.

Nico Hulkenberg and Carlos Sainz Jr are going to push each other hard and are both capable of success if they have the tools at their disposal.

7 McLaren 1m17.584s - 599 laps
    Deficit to front over last four races of 2017: 1.85%
    Deficit to front in testing 2018: 1.98%

The car certainly looks good, both on the circuit and up close. The detail is pretty good, but that doesn't always turn into lap time.

The change to Renault engines should only be positive. Yes, it is not the best engine in the pitlane but at least it puts McLaren in the position where others are using it, so the performance of the chassis can genuinely be measured.

But that's where it ends. The reliability has been abysmal and the main problem is every time it is something new. McLaren has had an electrical problem, a hydraulic leak, an engine oil leak and turbo problems - and those are just the ones we know about.

This is a team that has a huge facility and commitment behind it, and it should be on top of all that stuff. McLaren has as much equipment at its disposal as anyone else, yet smaller teams are able to get better reliability out of their cars.

All that said, it's better to have these problems in pre-season testing than at the first few races. I'm pretty sure there will be lots of McLaren personnel in Melbourne with their fingers crossed.

8 Toro Rosso 1m18.163s - 822 laps
    Deficit to front over last four races of 2017: 2.94%
    Deficit to front in testing 2018: 2.74%

Toro Rosso was probably the surprise of the test, of at least the Honda part of that equation. The team and Honda seem to be at home with each other and that can only be positive.

Initially, the car seemed to have a front-end problem, then as testing progressed, that seemed to go away. But I noticed later in the test there were comments about the front end giving up.

Doing the mileage it has achieved will have given the team and Honda bucketloads of data to trawl through - so I'm sure somewhere in there is the solution.

It has inexperienced drivers, similar to Williams, which will put the team in a questionable position. But all Toro Rosso can do is keep its head down, work closely with Honda and build for the future.

9 Force India 1m18.617s - 711 laps
    Deficit to front over last four races of 2017: 1.60%
    Deficit to front in testing 2018: 3.34%

Fourth in the constructors' championship for the last two seasons was a great result, but you are only as good as what you can do tomorrow. This year, it is going to be tough to maintain that championship position and, in reality, Force India could do a better job on pace relative to the top teams and still finish seventh.

This, on face value, is quite a dramatic drop off in performance relative to the frontrunners. But the team is adamant it came to these tests with the 2018 mechanical platform in place to make sure it understood and could get on top of the required set-up.

Force India intends to introduce a major aerodynamic package for Melbourne, and looking at the times from the test it needs to be major.

Force India needs to find a second and a half at least if it is to stand any chance of hanging in there in fourth place. A second and a half is a lifetime in F1.

On the circuit the car looks OK, it just doesn't have the grip of the frontrunners. A lot hinges on how much downforce it can add for Australia.

10 Sauber 1m18.844 - 786 laps
    Deficit to front over last four races of 2017: 3.56%
    Deficit to front in testing 2018: 3.64%

Looking at the percentage deficit to Mercedes in 2017, at the test Sauber has more or less stood still. But if you look at the car, it is completely different. I suppose that just says you can make it look different but it does not always improve the performance.

I'm pretty sure that Ferrari with its 'technical relationship' will get involved. It won't stand back and allow the Alfa Romeo branding that is now on the Sauber to be tarnished.

On the circuit, the car just looks like it hasn't got the grip. And the drivers visited the kitty litter too often.

Conclusion

Hopefully all of these times and assumptions are going to go out of the window when we get to Melbourne, the grid will be one of the closest we have ever seen and we won't know who is going to win until the cars come around the final corner to take the chequered flag. But I won't hold my breath.

Overall, from 2017 the midfield is a bit more mixed up and probably a bit closer to the front bunch. But from the front to the back the deficit is much the same. Nobody said it is easy, and whether you are at the front or the back you just have to keep your head down and get on with it.

The outcome from this test is not really what any of us wanted. Closer racing is all we ask for - so please let someone come up with a strategy to achieve that sometime in the near future.
    Last edited by Luke352; 11-03-18 at 10:40 AM.