Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: C6 Corvette Z06 Racer - Finally on track.

C6 Corvette Z06 Racer - Finally on track.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Corvette Front.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	250.0 KB 
ID:	70916Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Corvette Rear.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	225.5 KB 
ID:	70917

After almost 2 years, I finally got to run my vette yesterday. Mechanically the car had no dramas (in 34c heat) and drove pretty much as I expected - except for the torques - OMG this thing is a freaking bullet! The T56 is quite a shit gearbox so that will be on my replace list as soon as money allows but the handling was quite good out of the box, the brakes were awesome (AP 6 spots with Carbotech XP20 pads). Lots of grip from the 18x10 and 18x12 Michelin shod wheels and the car is very stable on the track, less twitchy than the MX5 for sure. I wasn't really pushing hard, rolling off the throttle quite a bit and just getting a feel for the car. Funny thing is I really didn't even notice the difference driving a LHD car on the track - it was all rather normal - except for the sound and the brutal acceleration. The fastest lap I did was high 1:05s (Wakefield) but there is seconds in this car once I get it setup right. Biggest change I need to make is the seating position and the clutch and brake pedal heights. Can you believe the vette is more cramped than an mx5 - crazy.

Car has upgraded ARE dry sump and scavenge pumps, customs radiator and massive oil, gearbox and diff coolers on it. LG Motorsport long tube headers and dual 3in exhausts. Engine has an LG motorsport Comp Cams race cam package. I run a Mantic 9000 twin plate clutch (which is awesome), Pfadt Racing suspension and solid engine and box mounts, ATI damper and that's about it. It makes 385rwkw. Evolution Motorsport did the cage, DBA supply my rotors and will own the cars livery, and Ricol Performance do all the mechanicals and tuning - I highly recommend their work.
    A slow day at the track is better than any day in the office.

That's quite a change from an MX-5. But jesus that 'vette looks the goods! Nice one man.
    Perfect mix of sports and luxury... Like an automotive version of a mullet

Christ!!

Damn, that is a serious bit of kit. Fuck there are some cool cars on here.

Did you import it all modified, or was it a stocko?

That is awesome. I rented a hertz one the same colour in Vegas and had a blast so have a soft spot for these things. What is the engine? 6.2 or something?

True badassery.

chicken dinner!

Engine is an LS7 in the Z06 (7L).

I did a bit of reading up on Z06s a couple of years ago when I was looking into having one imported and converted for use on the street. Came across a lot of Internet hype about the sodium filled valves breaking stems and lunching motors - something to do with poor casting resulting in failed seals and eventual valve stem failures.

OP have you heard of this or is it just American forum bullshit?

factory telescopic shifters are fucking awful, replace with a decent one as an interim step. Improves the shift quality a lot, but doesn't stop it being a bit truck like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbo Yoda
    I <3 Hamster

What are the plans for it CT? Going to kick some euro bum?
    Richard's DatsunZ lappin LakesidZ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47OSh...&feature=g-upl

“Freedom of speech does not protect you from the consequences of saying stupid shit.”
    ― Jim C. Hines

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
    ― Daniel Patrick Moynihan

“Four hostile newspapers are more to be feared than a thousand bayonets..”
    ― Napoleon Bonaparte

Phwoarr!!! I need to come over to have a look at this beast
    Japanese Nostalgic Car - Dedicated to classic japanese cars

Saw the car in at Evo when the cage was getting done. Looks great and a bit smaller than you'd expect. Should be heaps of fun developing it and so many go fast parts are available which are cheap compared to other makes. Do these things run a dry sump? Looks like you're running slicks. Not sure what the oiling system is like but I'm sure there'd be anything you need to make this better available at the click of a mouse. Much jealousy.
    Look forward to seeing it on the track!
    Last edited by 333pg333; 11-01-14 at 04:34 PM.

Reminds me of Chris Caruso's WYLDVET
    1978 Opel Manta SR Berlinetta 1UZFE - Project
    2013 Opel Insignia OPC - Daily
    2011 Hyundai iLoad - Work
    2015 Skoda Octavia Scout premium 132TSI - Mrs

\/ \/ My motivation \/ \/ ALLMTR's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spiller View Post
    Engine is an LS7 in the Z06 (7L).

I did a bit of reading up on Z06s a couple of years ago when I was looking into having one imported and converted for use on the street. Came across a lot of Internet hype about the sodium filled valves breaking stems and lunching motors - something to do with poor casting resulting in failed seals and eventual valve stem failures.

OP have you heard of this or is it just American forum bullshit?
    Sort of on topic but what's involved in bringing something in this new and getting it registered ?
    1jz Rolla Van ....... 11.6 at 124mph

"Reacher figured if he could put that drivetrain in some battered old sedan body, then that would be his kind of car"

Looks great and will be really good to see another brand/type running around on the track in Prod Sports.

Looks fantastic, you must be rapped with that.

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice.

I would love to open my garage door and see this thing sitting there. Must be a good fun to drive.
    NA8B 89KW- P.I. 1:50.1, WNTN1:38.0, SDWN 1:27.6, WKFLD 1:10.4
    NB8B 181KW- P.I 1:43.8, WNTN 1:32.9, SDWN 1:22.0, BDFD 1:05.3
    VP 293KW- P.I 1:46.0 WNTN 1:33.5

Quote Originally Posted by ALLMTR View Post
    Sort of on topic but what's involved in bringing something in this new and getting it registered ?
    no different to any other import chuck except this needs a RHD conversion done to it.
    you cant spell advertisements without semen between the tits

Looks tough. Got any engine and interior pics?
    xw Falcon 393 full race cam, NGK spark plugs.

Thanks guys, really appreciate the comments. Car has an interesting history actually, it was built by GM as a "show car" and was almost 100% stock save for suspension upgrades and a cam in the donk and was sold to a guy in Nebraska who was the largest cattle farmer in that state. He also owned a bunch of steak restaurants. It was kept at a race track in a climate controlled garage and was never street registered. The poor fella dropped dead from a heart attack and I purchased it from his estate via his best mate. Again - from Ebay. I already had an agent in LA lined up for shipping as I was looking for one for about 6 months. As was already stated, conversion to RHD is the only thing required to make these road registered. And they would be awesome as a roady toy!

Car come from the factory with dry sump, diff and box coolers and this car also had a bunch of GM performance engine internals in it as well we found out such as an LS9 oil pump and GM performance cam. I have removed all the standard dry sump stuff and replaced with a full component of ARE stuff including a Katech pump and additional scavenge pump.

Spiller, there is still some rhetoric about the valves but it appears to only affect a certain year range of models. Pretty sure this one is not running standard valves. We checked the wipe patterns from the rockers on the valve stems and they were all square which talking to Katech in the USA seems to be the best was to tell if failure is imminent.

I also have full data logging from the GM ECU via a Solo DL which is awesome. The car ran an stable temp of 89deg C water, 65PSI oil pressure (30-80 range), 194kph max speed at 5000rpm in 4th and used 1 litre per lap at Wakefield as an example of the info I can pull from the log - there is about 24 channels available.

I have more pics, but need to really take some more now it's finished - more will come. Car is a 2B Production Sports car - so hopefully I can get it sorted quickly and be competitive in Prod Sports.

Youtube snippet....

http://youtu.be/1jT7mLDy4BY
    Last edited by CT; 12-01-14 at 06:08 AM. Reason: spelink

Great stuff, I've always admired these cars and it should make for a very reliable track car.
    I know the Fords who run these in Targa are generally very pleased with them. I reckon in the right circumstances and conditions one could be a genuine outright contender.

I'm interested in how you went about doing your cage? With the "timber" construction of the floor it makes traditional cage building techniques quite difficult.

Naughtius Maximus JayTHEFordman's Avatar
    a bit of a headfuck as it will need RHD conversion and compliancing, many dollars can be involved.

late model Mustangs generally run at $30k + to get it on the road. Fucking rip off if you ask me.

To the OP - fantastic car!
    Envy is Ignorance, Imitation is Suicide - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Originally Posted by Stang:
    particularly when your body is functioning like a 1970s Alfa made by drunken chimpanzees on a Friday afternoon

There are a couple of mobs bringing them in. But you start having second thoughts when you see the price of them and thinking about how good a job the conversion is. Going on the comments a couple of blokes who I've come across with C4 and C5 'vettes here you'd have to REALLY want to own a late model Corvette. As one guy said, his son's ex cop VT is better screwed together then his babied RHD C5!

I rang every reputable RHD conversion place in aus and couldn't find less than 50K for a Z06.

Add to that, shipping, stamp duty, gst and luxury car tax (which is calculated at 33c per every dollar above 57,500 (I think that's the threshold) ). a car bought for 49K in USA ends up being about 120k landed and complied at best. Worse now because the AUD has dropped.
    Last edited by spiller; 12-01-14 at 11:18 AM.

Very, very cool.
    Is there a schedule of events you plan to do this year?
    I imagine a few people might be interested in coming out for a look.

awesome.

Marlin - the cage bolts through the mag/alloy subframes and the carbon tub. Fairly straight forward when you look at how it's done but agree, lost some hours thinking about the 'how' before it was done. My cage is magnificent though.

I haven't got a race schedule/calendar as yet but hoping at the very least to do all the Production Sports sprint rounds which are part of the NSW State Championship. I think the first round is in March.

Thanks CT. Keen to see some pics of how it was done if it's not too much trouble!

Noice.

Though about doing the full front splitter and skirts? http://www.katechengines.com/street_...a%20report.pdf
    this signature intentionally left blank

From memory you can import something like this as a racecar and you don't pay all the normal road car duties. But they want some pretty solid proof that you're not BS'ing them.
    Guess if you were going to do that you'd buy a car that someone has already dumped dollars into as a racecar and pick up a bargain.