Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: C6 Corvette Z06 Racer - Finally on track.

Yeah that 2nd shot it tits.
    The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. - Randy Komisar.

Shit that's sick. How's it been running?
    E90 335i - JB4 + DCI
    E60 535i - Sport Pkg
    07 Rx-8 GT - Catless Midpipe, Tuned, Sway Bars

BMW Parts Catalog

Car went really well at EC. Only issue at the moment is a dud alternator - apparently a common issue with the 06/07 cars. Next development is a new gearbox - Hollinger is spec'd and ready to be ordered which I think will make a big difference to drivability. Plus I need to add about 50 litres of fuel capacity for the 1 hour races - need to get onto that one asap too!
    A slow day at the track is better than any day in the office.

Was that on the full Brabham layout in May? Car looks great in the pics!

CT what sort of $ did the holinger set you back? $25k-ish? (If you don't mind me asking that is). Are you going to do the enduro's by yourself or with a co-driver? *puts hand up

Yep, was full Brabham circuit last meeting. Holinger will be $25k-ish when fitted up and the ECU is tweaked for the shift cut - is a little while off yet sadly. Lucky the delco factory ecu is very readily customizable. No enduros yet for me, need to build an extra 45 litres of fuel capacity but aiming for Island Magic at this stage but will be doing it by myself I don't want to have 'that' conversation with a co-driver....you bin it, you're buyin' it!!! Oh yeah, fitted new alternator yesterday and at least that problem is now sorted.

Looks awesome mate, glad to see youre finally able to get it out and have a play.. i remember you talking about it ages ago when I bought your trailer off you.. even back then you where saying "it will be here soon"
    Shitbox Rally NZ 2017 - Bad Panda - https://shitboxrallynz-2017.everyday...m/au/bad-panda

Evoke 3D Architectural Visualisation http://www.evoke3d.com.au

Long time since an update. Car has undergone a driveline transformation with a new gearbox and diff. After almost 6 months, it's finally finished. Bathurst was my plan but pulled the pin on that. Going to run it and get used to the new setup and then see how it goes in the state series. Diff is a new OS Giken Clutch LSD built to spec by OS Giken. Gearbox is the original T56 with an full sequential conversion by PPG running a Lingenfelter shift cut/launch control module. Dyno work is done and the report is impressive. I can't wait to drive it in anger. Will take some pics when I get her home.

Yay an update. Too bad you won't be at Bathurst, i'll be there and would have loved to see it on track.

So i take it the T56 sequential g/box conversion was substantially less costly than the Holinger? Are there any major drawbacks compared to a Holinger?

Have you still got the standard ECU?

Looking forward to pics!

We have certainly learnt a lot about fitting a sequential to a corvette - that's for sure. The PPG conversion makes a lot of sense to me from a couple of points; a) T56 case is not exactly hard to get and considered a stock fitment so everything factory still works and required no modification to any other component, b)the gearset is rated for more torque than the holinger, c) PPG wanted to be involved in the project as it's the first Vette in AU to have their sequential conversion fitted.

Cost was more attractive no question. Holinger were very helpful re gearing options etc - seriously both companies were fine to talk too. Ancillaries like the shifter & shift indicator were better priced with PPG. Also spoke with Albins but they are V8 focused now and had nothing to offer within a sensible price range. The big advantage of Holinger is the infinite gear ratios whereas PPG only do a few different sets. One of their sets suited me fine. The car's gearing will be 7% shorter than stock in 3-6th.

The big issue with fitting is mounting the shifter. In the Vette, it's mounted to the torque tube and not the tunnel. There is not a lot of room for shift rods etc down there. So it took a bit of dicking around to get the shifter mounted, including machining a number of options, fitting, measuring and trying again. In the end, my gurus sorted it out. The shift rod is in the tunnel and not on top of the tunnel like the Callaway GT3 vettes (average engineering in my opinion), the shifter is well located and solid.

The car still uses the factory ECU supplemented with a Lingenfelter Torque Cut ECU. This handles the ignition cut triggered by the load cell in the shifter. Luckily for me it also has a launch controller as well - yah! I still have to blip the throttle manually on downshift so really, it's identical to a V8 supercar from a driving perspective.

Have to acknowledge Ricol Performance. They have been looking after my race cars for almost 10 years now and I cannot recommend them highly enough.

Love to see this run out on a track, one observation, I thought that with a dog box and ignition cut there was no way to blip the throttle when downshifting because the lever is shoved straight through in one motion.
    Richard's DatsunZ lappin LakesidZ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47OSh...&feature=g-upl

“Freedom of speech does not protect you from the consequences of saying stupid shit.”
    ― Jim C. Hines

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
    ― Daniel Patrick Moynihan

“Four hostile newspapers are more to be feared than a thousand bayonets..”
    ― Napoleon Bonaparte

Quote Originally Posted by 260DET View Post
    Love to see this run out on a track, one observation, I thought that with a dog box and ignition cut there was no way to blip the throttle when downshifting because the lever is shoved straight through in one motion.
    Ignition cut is on upshifts only. Duh. time for a cuppa and a lie down Richard?
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    Ignition cut is on upshifts only. Duh. time for a cuppa and a lie down Richard?
    Too effin hot for that but I don't mind learning something even if comes with a dose of sarcasm
    Richard's DatsunZ lappin LakesidZ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47OSh...&feature=g-upl

“Freedom of speech does not protect you from the consequences of saying stupid shit.”
    ― Jim C. Hines

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
    ― Daniel Patrick Moynihan

“Four hostile newspapers are more to be feared than a thousand bayonets..”
    ― Napoleon Bonaparte

Great to hear it's all come together at last Chris. Keep us posted.
    2015 Skoda Octavia RS162TSI
    2004 MX5 SE Turbo
    2016 Toyota 86 GTS (No Pics)

Shift cut actually works on up and down shift as it's sensed by the load cell in the shifter. Apparently you don't notice the cut on downshifts as you are not accelerating. Timing is the key for throttle blipping, it's still exactly the same process for changing gears except there is no gate for the shifter, it is sequential. Rev matching by blipping the throttle ensures no compression lockups and undercar explosions!

NSW supra club Member
    Great beast, love it, just read your whole thread.
    There is another c6 in the championship supersprint NSW state this year( seen him last year, as well as this years for our first round at SMP GP, 8/march), Nelson Gary, yellow as well... wouldnt be you , would it?
    93 tt supra,black 6 speed
    --------------------------------
    SINGLE

Really great car, would love to punt one about someday. Looking forward to seeing some footage and or pics of yours in action soon!

Thanks Mazman. Nope - I am not Gary Nelson. He is the President of the NSW Corvettes Unlimited Club. I have met him once. I might get my arse to a Corvette club event one day and see if I can take the club record. When he was talking to me I got the impression he thought I was a tyre kicker...lol won't he be surprised!

Progress has been slow as my other project (1/2 share in a Celica Dirt Car!!) was been needing some love, albeit not much from me though. So I have got the mounting for the gear indicator sorted out and should have that and the launch control rev limit button mounted in the next week or so. Then it needs all the brake pads changed and new front rotors and she's ready for a test. Cannot wait to be honest, this sequential setup has me aching to race but sadly time is screwing me at this stage. When I get that sorted, I will stick a couple of cabin pics up - just so you can see the sexy shifter!

Colour me jealous over here. The only reason I put an LS into a Supra was because I couldn't afford to buy a Corvette!
    Will be watching for updates.

Great progress. Can't wait to see/hear the car on the track. When? Should come and do NSW Time Attack at Wakey for a bit of fun and testing. June.

hmmm, don't tempt me Trying to work the next run out at the moment. Need to do same practice miles for sure but have some overseas travel commitments I need to sort first. Now the cricket is over I can dedicate some more time to car racing!

Just realized how long it had been since I updated this. Me bad. So the PPG T56 Sequential is in and well so far, it's been a bit of a journey and an educational one for all parties involved. Have so far attempted 2 practice days in the car - managed 2 laps on the first one. Two issues, the first was a hard rev limit at 4000rpm, the second was a blown gearbox oil line and some Motuls finest existing the box. The hard rev limit was a weird one which we suspected was connected to the Lingenfelter torque cut ECU but in the end we are still not sure. We landed on an explanation that the EOM ECU was jumping into a limp mode due to the now non existing gearbox signal. Anyway, some ECU fettling seems to have solved this but the car still has a miss at 4000rpm at part throttle when it's cold that we haven't really solved.

The second practice day was slightly more successful in that I managed 5 laps. And that was that. The original setup had the strain gauge in line in the shift rod mechanism. Sadly, the sensor sheared off and left me stuck in 3rd gear with no way of shifting up or down. So that killed that day. The car has been in the shed and I am converting it to a shift knob with internal strain gauge and the rod is now just two rose joints and the rod between the bottom of the shifter and the box. Lessons learnt on that. I now know a lot more about strain gauges and shifters and shift rods - which I prefer I didn't.

So, the new gearknob/strain gauge is due to arrive any day now and I will be off back to the creek soon to test it again.

Observations thus far. The gearbox itself is very sweet indeed. The shift is rapid and precise. It is going to take a little while to relearn how to drive it. It is very foreign to keep your foot pinned to the firewall while shifting. The timing of the throttle blip on downshift is the biggest change. H-patterns give you a lot of time to rev match so the timing is not that hard. The sequential is a whole other ball game. The V8 supercar guys do it really well and that is my next learning challenge. No biggie. So hopefully next report will be post a full day of testing, then I decide where I am racing next. The car is a monster though, really makes me concentrate on cold rubber - that is only worse now!

Great stuff. What's the box worth of you don't mind me asking.

Damn that is so sweet. One of the coolest cars on PF

You could always fiddle around with an auto blipper

Finally got the car on track at Wakefield on the weekend and got through a full set of scheduled tests. Car ran 27 laps in 33deg C ambient and was faultless. Can attest the sequential box is "the shit". All the issues I had are now resolved thanks to both PPG and LG Motorsports in the USA (Lou Gigliotti is a total legend!). Ran a session of times consistently in the mid 1:05s on shagged tyres running at maybe 90% with a big lift before the kink on the main straight. Max speed was 201kph on the main straight in 4th gear before lifting.

Next stop, Mt Panorama running with Combined Sedans supporting the 12hr!

I assume this thing would be good for closer to 60 seconds at wakefield on rubber and going 10/10s?
    RB26......................Again

That's great news. Damn I'd love to have an SQ box but it's such a big investment. Both $$ and time. Ideally you'd hope to just be able to continue to drive the thing now and get in some serious seat time. Good luck with that. Seems the faster the car, the less time on track. Assume you're getting used to the shifting a bit more each time.

Yeah, I definitely need more seat time in it now that it's working - finally! The downshifts are getting better, you dont realise how much time you have to heel and toe with a H pattern compared to a sequential! I have adjusted my driving style for downshifting to push the shifts later in the braking cycle, seems to be smoother. Just need practice. It should be capable of a 60 I would expect but in winter, with new rubber. Need to win lotto and go full closed loop with paddles.....would be so simple to drive but acceleration is seamless with the sequential so totally worth it!!

Was it a straight fit or a lot of mods?

Quote Originally Posted by CT View Post
    Next stop, Mt Panorama running with Combined Sedans supporting the 12hr!
    Fuck yes.
    The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. - Randy Komisar.