Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Yamaha MT09

Bit of an update - getting closer to finishing break in and bike is going great generally. I have had a small issue (and I am not the only one) with the self adjusting cam chain tensioner being a bit shit and the chain making a bit of a rattle. Seems pretty common but very easy to adjust yourself and if you feel inclined it's easy to adjust and lock it manually with a set screw and nut. Had mine adjusted by Yamaha yesterday and has quietened down (wasn't super loud but annoying as I could hear it and you know once you hear it once it's all you can hear!)

Got in and had a play with the suspension finally last night too as they are a bit soft out of the box and although mine was predelivered with my instruction of firming it up a bit it still needed more.

Have cranked roughly 2/3rd's of the available preload in front and rear and a similar sort of number (roughly) in terms of rebound. Has made it feel much less wallowy but reckon I might add a little more preload on the rear (it has 7 positions, I am at #5 with 7 being full hard). Should have the blanking plates and rear brake fluid reservoir bracket set up this week to be able to pull the pillion pegs off and tidy up the rear, got some pretty lights to put in it and make sure I can blind people, still waiting for the pipes to come in stock and should be a couple of weeks away hopefully.

Got to get some riding in and the first service done before I go get my balls tied up next week and am out of bike action for 5 days or so. Saw my first one on the road the other day too....funny shit as I think the guy wanted me to be his new best friend. Yes mate, we have the same bike...enjoy.

As for riding modes - I tend to pretty much only use STD and A mode, B mode can eat a dick as I don't want less power. 'A' mode is usually the weapon of choice - wheelies on demand! I am seriously considering the ECU flash when I get the pipe as well. Basically pull ECU, send to Perth, they flash for your mods and also smooths out the bit of throttle snatch they have in A mode, a few more horses and torques and away you go. Supposed to be a very good thing and $500. I am also keeping an eye out for mobs to bring out steering dampers. Most of the time it's fine but pushing it hard it can give a wiggle (and fast wheelies) and I always liked the Hyperpro one I had on my 10R as that fucker was unshakeable. Only ones out at the moment mount under the bars pushing them up about 25mm and I am not too keen on that as the bars are as high as I would want them. Other option is mount under bars and get a lower bend Renthal or the like to compensate but it's all $$$'s.

Oh and I've got personalised plates on the way too. OMT09 -I thought fuck it why not. (in black and blue of course)
    Hide yo' wife!!!

500 bucks for a map? Fuck that.

Even if it is exhaust specific etc that's highway robbery.

Well you're not exactly spoiled for choice with these yet! And a Power Commander purchase, fit and tune won't give you change out of $800.
    Hide yo' wife!!!

Got some CNC'd pillion footpeg blanking plates. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1400234105961.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	74356Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1400234119181.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	74357Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1400234148641.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	74358Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1400234175402.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	74359
    Hide yo' wife!!!

Shit yeah, tidy!
    Perfect mix of sports and luxury... Like an automotive version of a mullet

Ordered the plates from Germany at the same time i ordered some brighter bulbs online from Aus, the blank plates arrived first.

I grabbed some specific screws to lock the CCT in place at the best adjustment point, used stainlessstore.com.au, ordered on a Wednesday morning and the stuff arrived next morning. Free shipping too! A+ will use again.
    Hide yo' wife!!!

Get some clear film and wrap the rego label around a fork leg to get rid of the ugly on the left hand side.

Hey man thats a full custom colour matched plastic supercheap rego label holder there my friend!!
    Hide yo' wife!!!

black shortly levers and black renthal bars pls

Shorty levers are for posers, full length for people who like riding with proper controls. (I dont like shorties!!) Have some SDR levers in black with blue adjusters on their way, sussing out braided lines at the moment too, prob need a rad guard also. Wish these cunts would hurry up with the Akra pipes too!

Been checking out steering dampers too but only two mobs making kits for these right now with under bar mounts pushing the stock bars up about 25mm. Not keen on that as bars are high enough but considering black Renthals with a lower bend if i go that way. Need to be careful on tank clearance on full lock though as the stockers dont clear by a huge amount.
    Last edited by piss98; 17-05-14 at 10:07 AM.
    Hide yo' wife!!!

Looking good cam.
    Quote Originally Posted by psssi98 View Post
    will probably take it up the arse

Cheers trav, figured i'd give this one all the bits i like in as close to one go as possible rather than over 8 yrs like the last bike. Nobody makes carbon bits yet though which makes me sad.

gat - forgot to mention, from Oct i can pull the sticker off altogether as they have finally decided we dont need them anymore with plate recognition for checking rego.
    Hide yo' wife!!!

good stuff, it's the small details that you cant pick unless the owner tells you that make a bike

Quote Originally Posted by psssi98 View Post
    I would also like to throat punch the cunt who invented and stuck on the warning sticker on the tank telling me to wear protective gear when riding a motorcycle etc. Went to peel it off and the top clear layer comes straight off but the actual sticker would peel off (with great difficulty) in tiny micro pieces leaving behind all the adhesive. Grabbed a beer and spent half an hour gently getting rid of it with my thumbnail, then some doubled over masking tape to dab the adhesive off, quick go with the clay bar and then some polish and sorted but all up took about fucking 45mins to get rid of all the crap. Fuckers.
    Haha, my 10yr old bike still has stickers about the 'noise attenuation system' and that I shouldnt mess with it. I have a little chuckle at that every time I get on the bike.
    #WHOTW award winner #blessed #susanalbumparty

Gave this its first proper run over Nebo/Glorious around lunch time today. I fucking sucked for a while just getting used to how much lighter and tighter it turns in and managing the pretty touchy throttle over bumps and out of low speed corners, just have to be ultra smooth. I need to back the suspension off a touch, its greaton smooth stuff but a bit too quick on rebound over the rough stuff and prob a little less pre load up front needed.

The engine braking caught me out a few times as its pretty strong in 1 and 2, apparently the ECU flash makes this much better as it can be a bit keen to hop the rear wheel backing down for slow hairpins....i like a bit of rear wheel slideon change down in to a tight corner but its a little too much at the moment, i prob just need to adjust a bit more.

Overtakes on the back wheel will never get old however.
    Hide yo' wife!!!

Is there anything to tidy up the arse yet? The photo with the pillion pegs does a good job at hiding that mess, ruins a great looking bike.

Yeh there are heaps of options, to be honest I'm not keen to make it Qld motorbike cop bait with a really short eliminator but would like to fuck the plastic off. Had a bit of a look and i reckon you could pull the stock one in to a few bits but the indicator stalks/holders are built in to the plastic so would need to make a couple of brackets.
    Hide yo' wife!!!

That rear bit does look really stupid. Its looks like its towing another small vehicle.

Someone needs to do a study on the actual use of those dumbshit low hanging bits. I bet they make exactly zero difference to anyones safety in the real world.

Well supposed to cover shit flicking up off the tyre hence being at least as wide as the rear wheel. If anyone has ever ridden in a group though rocks and shit still flick up anyway! Are mudflaps on cars required and therefore it's illegal if you don't have them? (doubt it!) Imagine if they started giving tickets for cars with no mudflaps.....people would fucking lose their minds!
    Hide yo' wife!!!

Strange... I never thought much of these.. but I like it Cam

Kyle - stupid fun to ride. I was getting a lot of "you won't like it, it won't be as much fun as your 10R" - in some ways it's not but only because I spent 8 yrs on the 10R and was VERY comfortable with how it behaved and going quick on it, still getting a little bit used to it on this (eg my initial cornering efforts were horrible and I was coming in way slow due to engine braking and apexing way too early as it just turns in so quick) but overall the thing is stupid fun to ride especially if you are like me and don't mind a bit of old school hooliganism for no particular reason at all (eg massive wheelstands off the traffic light GP on the way to work)
    Hide yo' wife!!!

Also turns out I can get the Akra branded version of the Akra underslung full system (rather than the Yam-Akra branded one) for about $200 and a bit less from Italy than I can in Oz!!?? Incl shipping.

This

or

Hide yo' wife!!!

first one is heaps less gay.

They are basically the same bar badging and some strapping around the can. I kind of like the more understated Yam laser engraved one.
    Hide yo' wife!!!

Yeah I like the 2nd one.

Laser etching > red/yellow stickers

i don't understand why you like the akra in the first place, it looks like a mutated penis you'd find in a tripper link

Says the CB homo who likes Volvo's.

Apparently the Graves is the highest power and torque and the lightest but I don't want something that sticks out past the footpegs and the Akra is a bee's willy off the max power etc anyway. Plus did I mention it shoots blue flames?

Levers have arrived and lights are at the PO - will get the light in tonight and maybe the levers depending on how I feel.
    Hide yo' wife!!!

the CB with the non tripperdick exhaust!

You're right, deep down I wish I had a CB250.
    Hide yo' wife!!!

pffft. gonna outwheelie you now.