Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yet another "I'll keep it stock" Lancer

Yet another "I'll keep it stock" Lancer

Not the same craziness as most here, but here's the journey of my weekend wheels thus far.

18 months ago went shopping for something AWD and turbo, and decided (stupidly) that I wanted something as stock as possible after seeing a string of poorly modified and maintained cars in my initial search.
    Drove a stack of cars, and originally had my heart set on a MY05 STI, but after driving a few Evo's I couldn't ignore the handling... and eventually found this 2004 Lancer Evolution 8 MR, completely bone stock with 72k on the clock (genuine, after a Japanese dereg check) with factory option BBS wheels that I snapped up at a very reasonable sum.

Told myself I'd just look after it with quality parts, but "keep it relatively stock".... but lines eventually started to blur.

First off the ranks was the front brakes, after cooking the factory brembo pads and wearing the OEM rotors down to minimum thickness after a few mountain runs in anger.
    Naturally, some DBA 4000's, Motul 600 and Remsa pads were the easy solution (but fuck me, the passenger side rotor just didn't want to come off... had to bash the living shit out of it with a soft mallet before it moved)

Also did the 100k service at that time as it was due (in years, not in km), and used that as an opportunity to replace the air filter with something a little more robust.

While doing the 100k service it only made sense to throw in a walbro 255, rather than just changing the factory fuel filter.
    Also found a TurboXS stainless "3 cat-back on an Evo forum for a good price. I figured... why not...

I drove it a bit more, then a friend with another Evo 8 harassed me to see if I wanted to upgrade my lower intercooler pipe (common Evo restriction) and get in on a group buy with him. Only seemed right.
    Really surprised with this mod.... really improved the spool!

I kept driving it as it was, and then had an opportunity to throw it on a dyno as part of a dyno day. Was happy with the result given it was essentially stock bar intake/cat-back (and stock tune)

Rather than keep doing little upgrades here and there... I figured it was about time I drove it a bit more (rather than the occasional weekend mountain run), so did a wet track motorkhana that proved to be awesome fun for someone like me who was a general novice when it comes to motorsport.
    Double bonus to get 2nd outright on the day against a bunch of cars that were vastly more modified.

I then tried the 'happy laps' track thing at Lakeside, again had a blast but generally drove like a girl.... knowing the stigma that Lakeside gets, plus being on the track with others at the same time. Still, had a fun time.

In keeping in the 'keep dipping my toes in the motorsport world' tradition, then had a crack at an skidpan session and again had an awesome time. The Evo ACD/AYC systems just make the car stupidly easy to powerslide on a wet track (the centre diff even kindly auto-disengages the rear wheels when you rip on the handbrake, saving you having to clutch it in)

You can see a video of the session below... with a decent slide of mine shown at 3:40.... and my off sideways just shy of the line of trees starting at 4:30 and going to the end of the video :P
    (Yep, massively ran out of talent there.... decided that I *could* catch it when hitting a big puddle sideways at too much speed and keeping the boot in)
    http://player.vimeo.com/video/101387917

As you'd guess.... had my first casualty shortly after, with a nicely bent rear drives side camber bolt:

I kept changing bits and pieces as needed.... swapping the original diff bushes with some upgraded items after I flogged out the OEM ones

Before finally deciding the power wasn't enough... and fitting a new "3 turbo outlet (elbow on the back of the turbo) that meant making the Evo temporarily non-turbo:

Then a new "3 stainless front pipe and high flow cat:

The last step so far has been to fit an up-rated boost controller (into the factory ECU for better accuracy at higher boost), and get the thing tuned.

Managed a healthy 218wkw at 23psi on a street 98 tune by Ben at BENchmark Tuning on the 'Next Up' dyno while he was up in Qld last weekend
    (Will scan the plot shortly)

Completely different animal now, with a really linear tune that just keeps pulling into the top end (as opposed the typical mid-range lump of power found in the stock tune). Sounds nice too.
    Next on the list is some better tyres.... drive it more.... then no doubt 'replace' the next thing that needs doing with something a bit more tasty.
    Last edited by break; 23-09-14 at 10:29 AM.
    Obligatory skid pic of my old car. New car skid pics tbc

Looks nice mate, great little machines.

| 1963 RK43 Toyota Lite-Stout (Stanley) | 2002 EC5W Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4 Type-S (Larry) |

Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    PF - We're not happy till you're not happy.

Nice mods. Always wanted one of these.
    Quote Originally Posted by thebluerx7 View Post
    The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

Love MR's
    #teamtremolo
    Quote Originally Posted by brasher
    TJ is 99% African American.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy View Post
    And i'd still fuck Betty....

nice write up and +1 on TJ - love the MR's!
    Quote Originally Posted by doods189
    Will throw in around $3000 worth of reptiles and acc as part payment and maybe if partner let's me a 50in plasma 3d tv

Very nice!

I only had a gsr and have much mr envy..

Will have an big parts for sale thread up soon..read at your peril! (fp red, 272s, carbon clutch,Cop kit etc...)

Quote Originally Posted by burn4005 View Post
    Will have an big parts for sale thread up soon..read at your peril! (fp red, 272s, carbon clutch,Cop kit etc...)
    ... I could say "I'm just going to leave it as is" but I'd just be lying to myself :P

Yeah, (IMO) the MR's really got the best color in their gunmetal finish (although, it seems most MR's in Aus are white)

Little engine that could. itsnotagsr's Avatar
    Nice car. But not really much point paying MR tax when you're going to modify it!
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
    (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
    Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Quote Originally Posted by break View Post
    ... I could say "I'm just going to leave it as is" but I'd just be lying to myself :P

Yeah, (IMO) the MR's really got the best color in their gunmetal finish (although, it seems most MR's in Aus are white)

Maybe over east - most mr's here are grey
    #teamtremolo
    Quote Originally Posted by brasher
    TJ is 99% African American.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy View Post
    And i'd still fuck Betty....

Mint. Love Grey Mica 8MR's...
    Mallala Motorsport Park - 1:11.71 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tY85CK31if8
    Wakefield Park Raceway - 1:05.31 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PREI-jK4L98
    Mt. Alma Mile Hill Climb - 41.67 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTmaG8jn3Tw

Quote Originally Posted by itsnotagsr View Post
    Nice car. But not really much point paying MR tax when you're going to modify it!
    I'm starting to feel that way.... but still prefer the tighter seats, plus a little extra poke versus normal 8 GSR power with similar mods (so my 218wkw versus 200-205wkw in a GSR) is nice.

But any more tinkering and the extras on the MR start to get thrown out the window :P

So a few small updates...

First, bought a spare center console and refurbished it piano black (never really liked the silver/grey interior trim in the otherwise black MR interior). Installed it, and yeah... I like it...

Also got Rob at Tyre-City to hook me up with a set of Federal 595 RS-R's today.... PF mountain run on Saturday morning will be the first test of the Evo's new found grip (previous tyres were 300 treadwear rated more passenger orientated Bridgestones... should be a dramatic change in grip)

Looks nice, I wouldnt mind something similar in the future.

So a few weeks ago I got to greedy on the brakes at turn 1 at Morgan Park and my bumper had a date with a gravel trap
    Minor damage, just scraped the bumper, dinted the intercooler, and pulled the lip/undertray off.

Problem was exactly what I suspected.... went in too hot, rear stepped out on me, and I panicked into braking rather than riding out the accelerator like I should have:

Today was the first stage of repairs... with replacement of the support beams, reshaping of the bumper (the joys of plastic.... heat and it goes straight back into shape), and the fitment of a hyperflow intercooler kit.
    This is how we started today:

The first step was to pull the bumper off, and swap out the steel supports and mesh from the second hand replacement bumper I bought:

Once that was done, it was time to tackle the intercooler which had taken a hit to the passenger side, as the steel arm holding the top of it had bent the aluminium at the top as well (not to mention all the gravel and dirt that it ate):

So off went the OEM intercooler, which is much smaller than the hyperflow both in width:

And thicker in depth too (here you can see the dent on the top of the OEM intercooler that the steel bracket caused the aluminium on the intercooler):

So after fitment of the intercooler (which was smooth beside the lack of EGR support on the hyperflow intercooler pipes), realignment of the bumper, and everything put back together again... it's starting to look like a car again:

Next steps are to get a new bumper lip (tempting the upgrade to a carbon do-luck item... perhaps), respray the bumper, and re-fit the OEM undertray.
    Last edited by break; 26-07-15 at 08:25 PM.

Good read, seems fun

Sweet.. didnt realise you had a thread

The gunmetal 8MR on the factory BBS is always a winning combo.. I definitely reckon they need the extra front lip on the bumper, it look heaps better

Did you paint your centre console did you? What did you do to prep and paint if you did?

Quote Originally Posted by yohoes View Post
    Sweet.. didnt realise you had a thread

The gunmetal 8MR on the factory BBS is always a winning combo.. I definitely reckon they need the extra front lip on the bumper, it look heaps better

Did you paint your centre console did you? What did you do to prep and paint if you did?
    Yeah, without the lip it looks weird... but kind of on the fence about lips. I have a spare OEM lip I can throw on and get painted... or I could do the carbon thing... OR... I could do a proper carbon splitter for some actual front end downforce, hrmmm

Yep, I painted the centre console top. Tried a basic dulux interior trim paint, but it didn't come out all that great (a little bit of a pitted finish.... and rather brittle to scratches/impact). I have a second console top that I'm going to paint soon with another acrylic paint to see how that goes instead.

Great write up, cars ready for its next adventure

So as part of my previous off, I put some deep scratches into my front left caliper. Both front calipers were already looking shabby thanks to heat fading them and causing peeling clear coat... so figured it was time to rice up the calipers.

Ended up stealing the STI brembo caliper colour scheme for the calipers (although went for a black 'brembo' decal, rather than the red decal on STI calipers). Feel they suit the gunmetal colour scheme a car a lot better...

Opens
    Nice. I have the same car but white and only with your first round of mods (180awkw) and no fancy brakes.
    What suburb are you at? I think I might've seen it.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtyrex View Post
    Nice. I have the same car but white and only with your first round of mods (180awkw) and no fancy brakes.
    What suburb are you at? I think I might've seen it.
    I'm at Kelvin Grove, don't tend to stray much from inner-north Brisbane unless it's a mountain/track.

Opens
    I'm in New Farm - I'll keep an eye out. Mine stands out because it has boy racer spec gold wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtyrex View Post
    I'm in New Farm - I'll keep an eye out. Mine stands out because it has boy racer spec gold wheels.
    Cool, will keep an eye out. Get yourself on 'Queensland Evo Owners' group on facebook.... a odd few knob jockeys there... but a majority are genuinely good helpful people

Opens
    I don't have Facebook, because of the knob jockeys

What paint did you use to paint the calipers?

Did you clear them?

What paint did you use to paint the calipers?

Did you clear them?
    Just a regular VHT caliper paint. Surfaces were all sanded back and prepped.
    Opted not to clear coat them as I wanted them fairly incognito and flat in appearance.

So a few bits and pieces have gone on with this over the last few months.

Muffler (TurboXS item) started to have its baffles die - Was driving me nuts, as it would rattle its head off at idle.
    So went to Rob Bliss and replaced the back section, and we went for a regular muffler style set. Sounds deeper/better, and still looks 'factory' (ish) compared to the canon mufflers.

Also got around to sorting out my undertray, with an aluminium replacement (factory one sits too high for the new taller intercooler).
    Had some fitment issues, but after drilling new mounting holes we got it there.

Today, I made the Evo temporarily wingless- so I could refinish the clear coat on it (the rear wing on Evo's have a clear coat that breaks down in UV... great factory design choice)
    Not sure if I like the look... but does make it look a little more 'low key' than usual.

Started the sanding on the wing and realized I'm totally out of my depth to refinish something. Anyone got any paint and panel hook ups that could strip it back, and clear coat it in Brisbane?

That undertray is sick!

That undertray is sick!
    It has an interesting side effect of causing occasional noise from rocks (particularly the rear section that hangs lower)

So yey... replacing one noise (rattling muffler) with another :P

So after the off at Morgan Park last year, i'd been having to look at my poor wheels looking like this after eating gravel sideways at speed:

After ignoring it for so long, I figured it was time to do something about it - as I was up for some new tyres after my old RSR's were looking a bit too loved for my liking.
    So, I lined myself up a new set of RS3's - and put the wheels in for repair and powder coating to a darker shade.

Pretty pleased with how they turned out. In the shade they look dark; and in the light they have a really nice depth to the color:

Video of the effect here:
    Last edited by break; 19-08-17 at 03:26 PM.