Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 377

Thread: Budget Build IS300

  1. #1
    Founder Nick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    New New Zealand
    Posts
    4,525

    Is300 - 2jzgte

    So I have sold the Golf, the wife has 10k put towards the house deposit and I'm left with the remainder to build a project/fun car.

    I originally wanted to build a IS300 with a LS3. I still would love to do it but things happen blah blah. I still think it's a great idea and certainly something I will revisit at a later stage.
    It was basically too costly to do it how I wanted! Eg crate motor, manual, IS300.. I would have had to spend the whole of the Golfs sale price in doing it and upset a lovely wife for few years.

    So, what to do. Next best thing I guess. Convert a IS300 to a Turbo.

    Why a IS300 and not a IS200? Wank factor, better diff, nicer interior, HIDs, snob factor, better than Clayto.

    So plan is to get a Aristo VVTI 2JZGTE engine and transplant this into the IS300. Keeping it auto for now.

    You know you have your head screwed on by Micheal J Fox when you end up buying the front cut before the car!


    One JZS161 Aristo front cut, now sitting in my garage.




    The engine has done 119XXX kms, purchased for $2910 delivered.


    Tomorrow (10th) I fly down to Canberra to pick up the car, one 2002 Lexus IS300, black on black, non smoker car, coilovers, ex lease... Note I have not personally seen this car yet LOL.
    Flight Cost: Points, business class bitch , via fucking Melbourne .

    Gumtree ad



    Love the freshy mcfreshtree.

    The car has done 220XXXkms, purchasing for $7000 baller cash.

    So far, cost is $9910.

    Will raise the car up, think I'll redo the wheels back to factory silver.

    Thinking Ebay parts, Scotty's magic Yum Cha turbo.. and then Shifty can do skids!
    Last edited by Nick; 26-02-18 at 04:04 PM.

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Wrong.
    Posts
    7,054
    Thats value.I see new daily in my future being IS300. Fuck I love em, always have.Top work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosshoggett View Post
    If your planing to drive this on the road and enjoy it, id suggest a second opinion, someone with a history in Australian Rally or Fink River . If your just playing dyno comps. Then ok

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    374
    I have been having bad thoughts about doing something similar to a gs300 lately!

  4. #4
    Naughtius Maximus JayTHEFordman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Perth Cunt
    Posts
    3,545
    There's an LS1 powered IS200 for sale on EBay
    Envy is Ignorance, Imitation is Suicide - Ralph Waldo Emerson

    Originally Posted by Stang:
    particularly when your body is functioning like a 1970s Alfa made by drunken chimpanzees on a Friday afternoon

  5. #5
    Founder Nick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    New New Zealand
    Posts
    4,525
    Yeah he is asking 17k for it. While it is rad, I'm not doing this for the outcome, I like the journey and trying to stick to a budget is a good challenge.

    Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Registered User JZK25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, Qld.
    Posts
    7,684
    What is the trans type on the IS300 build plate?
    David Fraser - Automotive Historian!

    Quote Originally Posted by bigmuz View Post
    You can't polish a turd but you can put 600hp in it and laugh your fucking arse off coming past someone sideways at Powercruise.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    ACT 2607
    Posts
    1,798
    I was looking at this exact is300 on scamtree last night as I am also chasing a daily, good to see if went to someone on PF

  8. #8
    Opens
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Brisbane, QLD
    Posts
    9,294
    awesome. so jelous.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    brisbane
    Posts
    843
    where did the halfcut come from?

    seems very reasonably priced

    ill continue to watch this space

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Approaching Uranus
    Posts
    522
    You didn't consider a turbo on the stock motor? Plenty have turboed the na 2jz with success.

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Wrong.
    Posts
    7,054
    I thought theres some serious shortcomings with them? oil squirters, better cam profile and shit on the turbo ones?

    Someone chime in?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosshoggett View Post
    If your planing to drive this on the road and enjoy it, id suggest a second opinion, someone with a history in Australian Rally or Fink River . If your just playing dyno comps. Then ok

  12. #12
    Founder Nick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    New New Zealand
    Posts
    4,525
    Quote Originally Posted by JZK25 View Post
    What is the trans type on the IS300 build plate?
    I'll let you know as soon as I get it. Currently on the plane now.

    ga70tt: WCP in Archerfield.

    richzx: I did, but then the this motor is a better base, looks nice and doesn't look like a 7M.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    brisbane
    Posts
    843
    ah yeah have used them in the past... great guys.

    supplied us with a jza70 manual halfcut... they made the mistake of showing the car they cut in half to me for the halfcut... nearly made me cry it was pretty immaculate.

    NA-T IMO is not worth the hassles unless you are running on methanol or are Scott putting some slapper motor together to do 10s for 5000

  14. #14
    Edumacator
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    2064
    Posts
    843
    Sell halfcut. Buy 2jge-t kit from swift racing in US. Spec one with tuneable standalone ECU.

    Bolt in -tune - play.

    Save yourself a truckload of hassles and cash.

    2jge will be fine up to 500rwhp.

  15. #15
    Edumacator
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    2064
    Posts
    843
    Welcome to the money pit - on a good day I can still see the sun when it passes over.

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    australia
    Posts
    1,401
    How much you want for the old donk?

  17. #17
    Registered User JZK25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, Qld.
    Posts
    7,684
    Depending on the trans type I would lean towards using the GE ecu with a haltech controlling ignition and injection. Skinny rods in GE always leave you worrying and failure, GTE is good investment.
    David Fraser - Automotive Historian!

    Quote Originally Posted by bigmuz View Post
    You can't polish a turd but you can put 600hp in it and laugh your fucking arse off coming past someone sideways at Powercruise.

  18. #18
    Opens
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Living The Dream
    Posts
    7,293
    Quote Originally Posted by tim510 View Post
    awesome. so jelous.
    +1 Will be an awesome thing.

  19. #19
    Founder Nick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    New New Zealand
    Posts
    4,525
    Quote Originally Posted by JZK25 View Post
    Depending on the trans type I would lean towards using the GE ecu with a haltech controlling ignition and injection. Skinny rods in GE always leave you worrying and failure, GTE is good investment.
    This is the main reason for going the GTE, just that security. I may be a masochist but I like the idea of doing the swap and quite enjoyed doing it on my MA70 to JZA70 conversion.

    Hugh: Fucked if I know yet, will be a while before the GE even leaves the IS.

  20. #20
    Naughtius Maximus JayTHEFordman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Perth Cunt
    Posts
    3,545
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Yeah he is asking 17k for it. While it is rad, I'm not doing this for the outcome, I like the journey and trying to stick to a budget is a good challenge.

    Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    Fair enough.
    Envy is Ignorance, Imitation is Suicide - Ralph Waldo Emerson

    Originally Posted by Stang:
    particularly when your body is functioning like a 1970s Alfa made by drunken chimpanzees on a Friday afternoon

  21. #21
    Registered User 50RTD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    show bobs
    Posts
    2,612
    Man that is cool, half cut is redic cheap!

  22. #22
    Edumacator
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    2064
    Posts
    843
    This is in no way as simple as the jza70 swap, or ANY Toyota swap for that matter. There are lots of ways that the is200/300 is a real pita to convert.

    Worth it in the end though. I drove mine today for the first time in a few weeks, makes me smile every time!

  23. #23
    Founder Nick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    New New Zealand
    Posts
    4,525
    Quote Originally Posted by yojimbo View Post
    This is in no way as simple as the jza70 swap, or ANY Toyota swap for that matter. There are lots of ways that the is200/300 is a real pita to convert.

    Worth it in the end though. I drove mine today for the first time in a few weeks, makes me smile every time!
    Are you able to elaborate?

    Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

  24. #24
    あなたの母親の肛門 Shifty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    10,788
    The VVT version of the GE has the toy rods common in later Toyotas. Not for turbocharging, kids!

    Once Nick gets the car home we'll go over it and Give it a good going over. I'll also start getting the engine out of the halfcut early next week.

    Nick thinks he is keeping the twins, but is mistaken.

    Sent from my One X using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by 350stato View Post
    100% agree with Shifty

  25. #25
    Registered User JZK25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, Qld.
    Posts
    7,684
    Keep the twins? Nigger please.
    David Fraser - Automotive Historian!

    Quote Originally Posted by bigmuz View Post
    You can't polish a turd but you can put 600hp in it and laugh your fucking arse off coming past someone sideways at Powercruise.

  26. #26
    Founder Nick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    New New Zealand
    Posts
    4,525
    Hehe yeah I'm a fool for that thought.

    Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

  27. #27
    Edumacator
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    2064
    Posts
    843
    The IS300 has a non return fuel system with integrated pump and non rising rate reg in the tank. You will need to add lines and make (or buy $$$) a pump hanger to sort this out. Also getting the dash to work can be a pita. Even just an accurate display of fuel level in the tank takes a bit of tomfoolery. I still can't get my coolant temp gauge to work within the proper scale ( haven't tried since the ecu upgrade).

    Twin turbos will foul on clutch master cylinder.

  28. #28
    Edumacator
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    2064
    Posts
    843
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03eTJqBRwX0

    This is my is200 for reference. All done at home. Tuned by Dale.

  29. #29
    Sensei Cobra
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Bris-bain
    Posts
    6,784
    Quote Originally Posted by yojimbo View Post
    The IS300 has a non return fuel system with integrated pump and non rising rate reg in the tank. You will need to add lines and make (or buy $$$) a pump hanger to sort this out. Also getting the dash to work can be a pita. Even just an accurate display of fuel level in the tank takes a bit of tomfoolery. I still can't get my coolant temp gauge to work within the proper scale ( haven't tried since the ecu upgrade).

    Twin turbos will foul on clutch master cylinder.
    This is why I am happy with my mildly turbocharged 1GFE with factory ECU and E-Manage Ultimate. Everything just works as it should even if it ain't that fast. I guess I'm getting old.

  30. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    melbourne
    Posts
    1,718
    Love the idea of the aristo swap, but would 1UZ be an easier conversion ?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •