Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Budget Build IS300

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Nicholson View Post
    Hey can you do me a favour while you've got the engine sitting there on the floor?

I need to know the dimensions; length, width, height, etc...all the critical stuff for an engine transplant.

If you can run a tape measure around it & put the dimensions in a couple of pics it would help me a lot...

Maybe i've been looking in the wrong places, but I haven't found the engine dimensions anywhere here..

Ta in advance!
    Yeah sure thing.
    Last edited by Nick; 28-04-14 at 06:33 PM.

Got some numbers down, don't take them as gospel as I didn't have any laser sites or digital measuring tape.

Sensei Cobra
    Nick, I thought I'd get in touch with Link to see what they had to say about integrating one of their ECU's with the IS multiplex system just to help an IS brother out, not for me at all. They themselves don't offer the interface module but another NZ company does. NZEFI.com. They sent me the following info:

There are two ways to do an engine conversion and retain the factory dash functionality on an Altezza or IS200:

1) Retain the factory ECU to do the multiplex stuff that the Link ECU can't do relating to the instrument cluster, AC control, outside air temp, etc. The factory ECU and the Link would need to share all the inputs, but the Link would control the main engine outputs like injectors, igntion, etc. To do this you don't need any special parts, but it is messier and the Link doesn't have full control over everything which does have some disadvantages.

2) Get rid of the factory ECU and use one of our Altezza/IS200 interfaces with the Link. This connects to the Link ECU via the CAN bus on one side and then wires directly into the two wires for the Toyota multiplex network. In this way, messages are transmitted and received exactly as they should be and the Link is controlling everything. Our first batch of Altezza/IS200 interfaces is sold out and we are currently doing a hardware revision at the moment for the next batch. So I haven't got one to sell you right this second unfortunately. Pricing should remain the same at NZ$550 though.

One of our staff members actually has a supercharged VVTi 1UZ-FE Altezza so it's definitely all do-able
    Presumably option 1 would also relate to the factory ECU on the 2JZ-GTE halfcut. I think there is some jiggery pokery required when splitting input signals sometimes to ensure that both ECU's are seeing the true values from the sensors, but I'm sure Dale or Al or Jason Broadhurst could shed some light on that.

Quote Originally Posted by bahaimus View Post
    Presumably option 1 would also relate to the factory ECU on the 2JZ-GTE halfcut. I think there is some jiggery pokery required when splitting input signals sometimes to ensure that both ECU's are seeing the true values from the sensors, but I'm sure Dale or Al or Jason Broadhurst could shed some light on that.
    no option 1 would be using the link as a piggyback ecu to control the injectors and ignition etc then the factory IS ecu will get its regular signals to the dash

would think that would be most appropriate when turbocharging or supercharging the factory motor

Sensei Cobra
    Poorly worded. I meant that you could also use the scenario in Option 1 to use the 2JZ-GTE ECU from the half cut to run the transplanted motor (instead of using a Link or other aftermarket ECU) and leave the IS300 ECU in place as well to run the dash shit.

yeah i think it would have a whole heap of issues with that. factory IS300 ecu would most likely want signals from shit that isnt there anymore

Sensei Cobra
    It's no different from using an aftermarket ECU though.

Which is why Option 2 would be the better way to go

option 2 wont really work with an auto transmission, the auto's usually retain a factory ECU for trans control. So I vote Nick should do the getrag swap at the same time as the GTE goes in

Sensei Cobra
    Oh yeah, forgot he was being gay

Opinionated Cunt perthdrivers.txt's Avatar
    I would just like to say

supercharged VVTi 1UZ-FE Altezza
    fuck yeah!

2JZ Altezza -

Last edited by perthdrivers.txt; 29-04-14 at 03:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.
    Quote Originally Posted by elfturbomax View Post
    What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.
    3x1UZ+1x2UR...

Quote Originally Posted by jasonp1977 View Post
    option 2 wont really work with an auto transmission, the auto's usually retain a factory ECU for trans control. So I vote Nick should do the getrag swap at the same time as the GTE goes in
    GTE will be waiting a while then! Not sure I could wait that long, was sooo close to one though .

Anyway, going option 1, and bought a Haltech Sprint 500 off Dale.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140429_153248 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	220.9 KB 
ID:	73991

Fuck yeah!

Are you going to leave the IS300 ECU in place and not bother at all with the JZS161? I guess that would be possible using the haltech as long as the IS300 ECU can control the JZS161 box

too old for this shit Kiahatsiu's Avatar
    Staying a650e. Gets around needing a custom tail shaft.
    Torque sells tow cars.
    Horsepower wins horse races.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonp1977 View Post
    Are you going to leave the IS300 ECU in place and not bother at all with the JZS161? I guess that would be possible using the haltech as long as the IS300 ECU can control the JZS161 box
    I'm going to rewire the GTE with the GE loom and run the IS300 ECU with the A650E auto.

The A650E auto will need a valve body upgrade so looking around at that. SRT (who turbo these things in the US) have a VB upgrade for US$295 but I've been warned about SRT taking their time.. I contacted M Automotive but they are only just working on the A650E this year and don't have anything at the moment. I'm hoping that some other automatic places might be able to do it. I figured the A340E would need at least a VB upgrade too with what I'm going for.

as for manuals
    I'm not even looking at R154s..
    W series are breakable.
    TR6060 is interesting
    V160 would be awesome.

It's all money, which is in short supply.

Sensei Cobra
    Have a look at the CD009 350z gearbox. $1800 brand new from Nissan in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Southo View Post
    Jason, already talked to them as I mentioned above. They are working on the A650E this year but no current product ready.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

There's a v160 over on supraforums for sale $2200 I think....

no lack of flat brim guaranteed......
    Quote Originally Posted by thebluerx7 View Post
    The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

Ahh I saw the M Automotive and wondered if that's who you meant...

The only other place I know of was the guys who did my Cressida the 2nd time
    CVAT
    http://www.colvoss.com.au/

Another puzzle piece.. bit more exciting!

Chinese billet GTX3582R ball bearing and all for $700 off ebay! Yeah some of you will cringe, hell even I did a little.. but they seem proven and well if it is shit then I'll just get a fucking real Garrett. T3 flange, the manifold has T4 flange but already have a T3-T4 adapter on the way.

Name:	gtx3582r (5 of 13).jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	564.9 KB 
ID:	73999Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gtx3582r (11 of 13).jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	572.2 KB 
ID:	74000Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gtx3582r (13 of 13).jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	486.4 KB 
ID:	74001
    Last edited by Nick; 29-04-14 at 08:48 PM.

Opens
    Interested to see how that goes Nick.... good bang for buck.

compared to a mitsu clone kando 25g for same money id be keen to see how it goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosshoggett View Post
    If your planing to drive this on the road and enjoy it, id suggest a second opinion, someone with a history in Australian Rally or Fink River . If your just playing dyno comps. Then ok

The only concern with that is no surge porting which is a part of the GTX's operation.
    David Fraser - Automotive Historian!

Quote Originally Posted by bigmuz View Post
    You can't polish a turd but you can put 600hp in it and laugh your fucking arse off coming past someone sideways at Powercruise.

Opens
    GTX is on my to buy list for the poo-bird.

So when I bought this IS300, I knew when I handed over the cash that the paint wasn't the best.

It's a black car, the Golf was black, I knew every scratch and nik would show up a lot.

I will get a respray done at some point, but not for a while, so I thought at least I can try and repair it a little.

It has quite a few scratches over the car, couple of spots of paint damage (that have been touched up poorly) on the roof. The rear spoiler clear has started to crack (easy enough to remove and respray).

However, something that really got me was the amount of scratches under the door handle.. I'm thinking the first owner, who was a business woman (ex-lease car) who masqueraded as Cat Woman.

The Lexus, the paint IS bad, just can't see it too well here.

Name:	04052014 (1 of 4).jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	639.5 KB 
ID:	74150

The door handles, all 4 were just as bad.

Name:	04052014 (2 of 4).jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	345.4 KB 
ID:	74151

Saw this in the auto store, thought I'd give it a go.

Name:	04052014 (3 of 4).jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	728.3 KB 
ID:	74152

The results! Seems to work very well. Took two applications for this finish.

Name:	04052014 (4 of 4).jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	306.8 KB 
ID:	74153

Also detached the A340E from the 2JZGTE, broke a 17mm flare nut spanner too, cheap supatool shit. Going to mount the 2J on a engine stand to clean it up and dress it.

Quote Originally Posted by thebluerx7 View Post
    The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

less door handle polishing and more 2jz swapping,please

Small update.

Been collecting parts, the engine conversion/install will still be a while. We are focusing on saving money for a grown up thing like a house or some shit. Nopics is a stay at home mum so we only have my income coming in. Small trickle of money comes my way.

Anyway, I decided to upgrade the footwork in preparation of turbo goodness.

I managed to score a good price on a set of JZA80 Supra 4 pot big brakes.

FIGS Engineering make a nice offset bolt for the calipers, they are expensive for what they are but do fit perfectly (press fit).

Cleaned them up with a wire brush and wheel

Then onto paint, I'm a total noob at paint, I thought I would put high temp primer on it then a high temp base followed by a high temp clear. Thing is I stuffed up something along the way, perhaps left the primer unpainted too long. Maybe I didn't use the right paints.
    I also orders some Lexus vinyl decals for the brakes. Everything was ok until I put the clear on. The underlining paint/primer bubbled in places. The clear also effected the vinyl stickers by making them curl.

I was pretty sad by what happened, I was tempted to just put them on but I knew it would be in the back of my mind.
    So I decided to redo them, wire brush, sand them back to metal again.
    This time I went and bought was VHT caliper paint. I didn't bother with a primer.
    Instead of putting the vinyl on top of the paint and under the clear, I chose to use the vinyl decals as masks.
    Using a black caliper paint, I put down the base coat. Then applied the vinyl. Finally I sprayed with the aluminium caliper paint.

Then slowly pealed off the vinyl when the top coat was touch dry.

Finished off with some VHT caliper clear. Sweet!

Done caliper with the FIG adapters and new seals.

Other parts like some DBA 4000s, Remsa pads and Dot4 fluid all from GSL Rallysport and some braded line from HEL.

In order to fit these to the Lexus OEM wheels, I needed to fit some spacers, 20mm in fact. I was very iffy about spacers and well I still am. But these seem like very high quality and plenty of meat in them.

The car as it sits with the spacers. Side effect is hellaflush....

I actually have not installed the brakes yet, just waiting on some quite time to get back into the garage. Will get to it this weekend I think.

Next small personalised mod. (Performance purists turn off here)

I liked the look of the blackened headlights, so thought, fuck it can only stuff up $600 worth of headlight. Popped them into the oven and then sanded, painted the chrome. I left a small chrome ring around the lights. I like the look and adds a little class.

Headlight taken apart after heating in the oven

Chrome backing removed and masked up.

Painted and all back togeather again after another round in the oven. I think I might need to get some more sealent as this headlight isn't sealing 100%. Otherone is perfect.

Took the front off the car to test fit intercooler. On the IS you need to remove the front bumper to get access to the headlights. Will need to relocate, fit another power steering cooler, meh. But intercooler fits well. Smile cunts!

Lights all back on the car. Looks 100% better IMHO.
    Last edited by Nick; 01-08-14 at 12:33 AM.

Also people will be pleased to know that I will be getting rid of the spacers for a lot nicer setup.

Sensei Cobra
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Also people will be pleased to know that I will be getting rid of the spacers for a lot nicer setup.
    Sexy wheels?