Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Thread: PF Dirtbike Thread

That looks like loads of fun! Could you trail ride it - 60-70kmh?

PF Dirtbike Thread

I haven't yet, as I was just running it in on the weekend but depending on the terrain, yes

Certainly not 60kmph sand whoops and I wouldn't be hitting erosion banks at 60kmph.
    It has more than enough grunt to but I'd say the sweet spot with the suspension travel (~200mm) is up to 50kmph

Steering angle is steep so it will be a little twitchy. There is a neat YouTube promo that gives you an idea of what it is capable of

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mini_Me; 19-07-17 at 09:58 AM.

Pf dirt bikers,
    I have a stockish 92 kx500, with a new top end and rear shock. The rest is in reasonable used condition... For a 25 year old dirt bike. I don't own the requisite abandoned airstrip or small country that is required to get this out of 3rd gear, nor do I possess the balls or inclination to ride it properly anymore. My arms just get tired.

So, should I:
    A - advertise it on Gumtree as is and bring all the flat brims to my yard? If so, what's a non-restored kx500 worth?

B - restore it as a project, pour a couple of grand onto it (maybe do it with my 5 y.o. boy) and display it on the wall as a symbol of the man I used to be?

Or C - fix what's broken and keep it around for one-upmanship purposes, to drop into conversation whenever anyone mentions anything about dirt bikes, despite the fact that I can't do more than a couple of laps on it before my hands go numb.

What's the deal with classic dirt bikes? Is anyone likely to pay 10k for one in the future, even though modern 4 strokes now (finally!) make as much power without killing you?

The little bloke has a ttr50 and I'd love to keep it for him, but it makes as much sense as inheriting an f1 car. It might be cool, but what the fuck are you going to do with it?

VMX guys will be all over it. Will make a nice bit of $$$ if it's all complete.

The KX'ers don't demand the same cash as CR's do but It's definitely worth a few bucks.

BOOSTFARKIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Grungle View Post
    Pf dirt bikers,
    I have a stockish 92 kx500, with a new top end and rear shock. The rest is in reasonable used condition... For a 25 year old dirt bike. I don't own the requisite abandoned airstrip or small country that is required to get this out of 3rd gear, nor do I possess the balls or inclination to ride it properly anymore. My arms just get tired.

So, should I:
    A - advertise it on Gumtree as is and bring all the flat brims to my yard? If so, what's a non-restored kx500 worth?

B - restore it as a project, pour a couple of grand onto it (maybe do it with my 5 y.o. boy) and display it on the wall as a symbol of the man I used to be?

Or C - fix what's broken and keep it around for one-upmanship purposes, to drop into conversation whenever anyone mentions anything about dirt bikes, despite the fact that I can't do more than a couple of laps on it before my hands go numb.

What's the deal with classic dirt bikes? Is anyone likely to pay 10k for one in the future, even though modern 4 strokes now (finally!) make as much power without killing you?

The little bloke has a ttr50 and I'd love to keep it for him, but it makes as much sense as inheriting an f1 car. It might be cool, but what the fuck are you going to do with it?
    Kind of half arsed chasing a a half litre 2 banger myself ...
    I qualify to race in the vets this year and i can pull off one lap wonders and call i good ill be happy lol.

The ol 500 will still get a holeshot over the 450 4 stroke no problem if your game enoungh to try and corner the thing.
    But there inlies the bigger problem they dont turn like the newer bikes and are certianly more demanding to ride.

They kx were also known to be a plush ol longue chair for there handeling charactorics.

Kx are a little more mellow then the cr as they had the power valve setup which helped spread the power across a broader rev range. The honda never did and hit a little harder and made for a bit peakier power delivery.

^ same. Advertise on PF first if you go with option A.

Got back on a bike for first time in 15 years a couple of weeks back. Bought a $2k WR450 that does the job for me.
    Went camping at Amamoor State Forest the last few days and had 3 sessions of riding on seperate days. Tracks there are great fun and spread right out so not congested when other riders are there. Had a blast and improved my riding a lot in 3 days. Didn't see a soul first 2 days then a bunch of guys turned up with KTM smokers on Friday night. We still didn't cross there paths in the bush though.

David Fraser - Automotive Historian!

Quote Originally Posted by bigmuz View Post
    You can't polish a turd but you can put 600hp in it and laugh your fucking arse off coming past someone sideways at Powercruise.

sexy fingers
    Nice WR, I loved my '03 250. Ratios in the box had a nice spread

GU Patrol L98, Manualised Auto, 35s, Kings etc
    VF2 Redline Ute

'98 Honda XR600R / '00 Kawasaki ZX-12R / '08 Honda CRF450R Supermoto / '09 KTM RC8R / '10 KTM RC8R (Broken Frame)

It's an old cheap shitter but it works well for me. Heaps of fun and challenges. Take my hat off to the engineering in a dirt bike, they cop so much abuse and continue to work.

David Fraser - Automotive Historian!

Quote Originally Posted by bigmuz View Post
    You can't polish a turd but you can put 600hp in it and laugh your fucking arse off coming past someone sideways at Powercruise.