Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Old, british and awesome - 1955 Matchless G9

Little engine that could. itsnotagsr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by farmsci View Post
    Which club are you in?
    http://www.vmccnsw.org.au/

Bathurst Rally is great. Approx 100-150 riders (circa 300 bikes - everyone brings more than one!). Good bunch of people, most of whom are pensioners. I'm the youngest by 20 odd years! No brand snobs. Everyone is happy to talk about your bike and the story behind it.
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
    (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
    Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Ha cool, I'm joining the VVCMCC (http://vvcmcc.org/) this week, same deal, I'm the youngest there by some margin, but a great bunch of guys who love to talk all things bikes (and cars too). I already knew quite a few members through work but they seem to be happy to have me joining them. They actually loaned me the bike trailer I brought it home on!

I also figure they will help teach me good riding habits better than other mates who ride.
    1990 E30 BMW 318is - In progress!
    1974 KE25 Corolla Coupe - So much rust...
    1955 Matchless G9 - On the road and loving it!
    1954 Matchless G80 - Because the one above runs too well so I need something more broken...
    And a fucking 1962 Rover... Because that makes sense

Ha cool, I'm joining the VVCMCC (http://vvcmcc.org/) this week, same deal, I'm the youngest there by some margin, but a great bunch of guys who love to talk all things bikes (and cars too). I already knew quite a few members through work but they seem to be happy to have me joining them. They actually loaned me the bike trailer I brought it home on!

I also figure they will help teach me good riding habits better than other mates who ride.
    Cool. My dad went to their rally a couple of weekends ago. Took his Zundapp 4cyl and Indian Moto Guzzi style V-twin
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

(TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"

Quote Originally Posted by itsnotagsr View Post
    Cool. My dad went to their rally a couple of weekends ago. Took his Zundapp 4cyl and Indian Moto Guzzi style V-twin
    Ahhh cool! I went along to the display in Gundaroo and their dinner on the Saturday night. Some amazing bikes, but I didn't see the Zundapp, I think I remember the Indian though, vaguely... Those oldies get pretty loose after a few drinks! One of em drop kicked a ceramic gnome across the room, it was pretty entertaining.
    1954 Matchless G80 - Because the one above runs too well so I need something more broken...

'if' you're around castlemaine, vic on anzac weekend this year is the all british rally - probably 600 brit bikes for a weekend camping

big day is sat lunchtime at maldon:

Quote Originally Posted by 9triton View Post
    'if' you're around castlemaine, vic on anzac weekend this year is the all british rally - probably 600 brit bikes for a weekend camping

big day is sat lunchtime at maldon:

I'll take note of that actually, nopics and I have been talking about doing a few days touring regional VIC some time, could be a good excuse given long weekend as well.

Ahhh cool! I went along to the display in Gundaroo and their dinner on the Saturday night. Some amazing bikes, but I didn't see the Zundapp, I think I remember the Indian though, vaguely... Those oldies get pretty loose after a few drinks! One of em drop kicked a ceramic gnome across the room, it was pretty entertaining.
    He could well have been on that.

Looks like this

(TM - AVENGE)

Yep, that is cool. The featured marque this year was military vehicles so there were heaps of cool ex military and themed bikes there, I'll have to upload some of the pics I got into the cool bikes thread.

Yep, that is cool. The featured marque this year was military vehicles so there were heaps of cool ex military and themed bikes there, I'll have to upload some of the pics I got into the cool bikes thread.
    Yep. But Dad said there werent that many military bikes. Just more general classic bikes. No biggie.

(TM - AVENGE)

Soooooo this just happened!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats!

Hell of a first bike to 'learn' on!

Ha! Yeah look, I think in practice I'll end up buying a cheap 250cc something crap to learn basics and some form of road craft on. When I really think about the realities of riding the Matchless is about as far from a sensible option as there is, it's big, it's heavy, will be slow, has terrible brakes and even the guys in the V&V bike club say it's best to start on something light and easy then work up to it.

With all that sensible crap spouted I intend to go for a short run around the neighbourhood this week. I can't resist any longer!

I say ride what you have. You'll probably make more noise and get more attention than if you rode an anonymous 250cc which means it will be safer!

(TM - AVENGE)

I'll see how comfortable I feel on it I spose. We'll see!

Old, british and awesome - 1955 Matchless G9

Finally! Stars aligned, good weather, nowhere to be, bike running sweetly and I took the Matchless for a ride about the suburb.

Bit odd getting used to the controls. Flicking the gear lever up to go down a gear caught me out more than a few times. The clutch isn't the most progressive and saw me bugger up plenty of shifts. Brakes aren't very strong or responsive and it's not the most agile thing to ride. But then I knew that would be the case before I got on, so no surprises!

It's got plenty of torque which is great, so when I accidentally shift up instead of down it's not the worst thing ever, it sounds great with a few revs too! Had a blast riding today and can't wait to get back out again.

It's also a bit disconcerting not having any indicators though, I might have to sort some aftermarket ones out. But it is also one less thing to worry about in the mean time!

Oh, and it really is true, Brit bikes leak oil like nobodies business, everywhere it stops it leaves a couple of drops as a calling card.

It really is just great to ride though. I'm really gonna enjoy this!

Last edited by farmsci; 19-07-15 at 04:12 PM.

And just because I feel like there should be a photo here too...

Great to hear mate,
    As long as it puts a smile on your face thats all that matters
    Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars

insanely jealous.

yes -all the quirks that make up an old motorcycle experience.

usually have no brake switch on the front brake - so unless you constantly use the back brake to slow - wont have the brake light coming on .

just riding the torque as you cruise along is where its at

Have now been out on a few reasonable rides, including a couple across town, starting to get used to riding in traffic. But the no indicator thing is proving a bit challenging for overtaking. Had a Audi fly right up behind me as I went to overtake a truck this afternoon, my overtaking speeds are much slower. Having an indicator may or may not have helped, but I think it's just one of those things that I'll end up doing for my own piece of mind. There are some pretty discreet/borderline invisible options out there for indicators, even if only on the rear.

That minor gripe aside, now that I'm starting and running the bike on a weekly basis it's starting sooooo much easier. First or second kick pretty well every time. Also got a lesson on using the advance/retard lever from one of the blokes in the club which has made life easier, and made high speed riding MUCH better. I wasn't really thinking about it early on and was then confused why it was hating life at about 45mph, didn't really want to go above that, he asked what position I had the lever in and then I had my next 'Ohhhhhhh shit, I should probably have thought about that' moment. But hey, that's what learning is all about!

All in all, I'm really loving getting out on the bike, and looking forward to every opportunity.

Another random, but interesting observation. I don't find myself wanting for any 'mod cons' on the bike the same way you occasionally do in a classic car. Maybe it's because I just don't know any better, but indicators aside it just doesn't feel like it's a machine from 60 years ago in the same way old cars feel an entire world away. Or is that just me?

Nice write up. Classic bikes are fun aren't they?

I find a nice loud exhaust helps alert drivers and I usually ride very defensively. Too many soccer mums with big 4wds!

I'll ask my Dad how he usually mounts the indicators and front brake switch on his vintage bikes.

Posh (japanese brand) make some nice aluminium indicators. Dad usually runs cheapie plastic ones though.

(TM - AVENGE)

That'd be great thanks! I was thinking something along the lines of mounting some Small round LED ones into the rear number plate fascia either side of the brake light. I've seen you can get pre wired boxes that will also send the signal to a light on the cluster. Seems easy enough, and given it's already running 12v and neg earth and generic kit should be fine.

ha ah - the old advance trick

pretty much after you get moving you can pull full advance .
    keep it there as you slow down with throttle closed and retard it when at lights for a nice chugga chaugga idle.

and maybe about half if idleing along.or really labouring in gear up a hill

if you think about it most low rev engines are at full advance by about 2200 rpm

kick start about half advance.

too much running at above 2000 rpm and full retard will burn exhaust valves . as the mixture ignites too late and is still burns as it goes out past the exhaust valve.

I'm guessing it'll all become second nature soon enough!

Ultimately, I'm just enjoying being able to use the term 'full retard' legitimately for a change!

That'd be great thanks! I was thinking something along the lines of mounting some Small round LED ones into the rear number plate fascia either side of the brake light. I've seen you can get pre wired boxes that will also send the signal to a light on the cluster. Seems easy enough, and given it's already running 12v and neg earth and generic kit should be fine.
    This seems ok.
    http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/goffyindicators.htm

(TM - AVENGE)

Nice man, whats the nopics say about you getting your licence?

/ --------------- \
    _/ /___________\ \_
    /_________|_________\
    |OOO ___________ OOO|
    \______|====|______/
    [_]-------------------[_]

Quote Originally Posted by itsnotagsr View Post
    yeah cool, I was looking at their kits last week, seems like the go!

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
    Nice man, whats the nopics say about you getting your licence?
    I believe she has reached the acceptance stage

Just stumbled across this awesome pic of the Matchless from the last Cars, Bikes n Coffee event!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150815---Shannons-Canberra-Car-Show---Cool-bike.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	319.2 KB 
ID:	86055

Took the bike out again today and rode over to my pop's place, he was pretty excited to see me riding it I think! Now he wants to buy a project bike for us to fix up! We'll see what comes of that...

Love the oil patch underneath it
    Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars

also remember to check the oil level in the primary drive chaincase every so often.

will be its own reservoir - and not supplied by the engine oil pump.

usually is a plug you take out and fill from the top to the level of the plug.