Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Old, british and awesome - 1955 Matchless G9

Quote Originally Posted by turbo510 View Post
    Love the oil patch underneath it
    It's the calling card it leaves everywhere it goes!

Quote Originally Posted by 9triton View Post
    also remember to check the oil level in the primary drive chaincase every so often.

will be its own reservoir - and not supplied by the engine oil pump.

usually is a plug you take out and fill from the top to the level of the plug.
    Cheers, timely reminder, it was just under the chain level actually. Primary chain runs in an oil bath of engine oil and is filled through the inspection cover up to that level. It's is a pain in the arse and a crap design, difficult to fill and if you're not careful when reinstalling can easily foul on the primary chain. I'm no engineer but I can think of about 100 better ways of doing it than what they did!

I'll also need to go and buy some more oil soon too, nearly all out!
    1990 E30 BMW 318is - In progress!
    1974 KE25 Corolla Coupe - So much rust...
    1955 Matchless G9 - On the road and loving it!
    1954 Matchless G80 - Because the one above runs too well so I need something more broken...
    And a fucking 1962 Rover... Because that makes sense

British bikes where never that high tech to have proper seals.

Little engine that could. itsnotagsr's Avatar
    Adding oil was cheaper that fixing the seals and had the added benefit of rust protection
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
    (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
    Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Quote Originally Posted by itsnotagsr View Post
    Adding oil was cheaper that fixing the seals and had the added benefit of rust protection
    They knew what rust protection was?

Quote Originally Posted by agentcrm View Post
    They knew what rust protection was?
    Probably not, it was just a convenient discovery after the fact!
    1954 Matchless G80 - Because the one above runs too well so I need something more broken...

So, as a few on here know I recently got married, and it was a huge privilege to be able to use the bike in the wedding! I actually rode the Matchless to the ceremony which was a really cool experience. I'd also like to send a HUGE shoutout to Mr Jones who actually brought down the bike in the back of his ute as well as towed the brides car behind him, arriving down the South Coast in the middle of nowhere at like 1am the night before. You sir, are a legend!

Anyways this forum isn't here to hear about my wedding, so here's a few of the photographers pics of cars/bike from the day!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MS_0092.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	3.20 MB 
ID:	88368

Name:	MS_0247.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	2.91 MB 
ID:	88369

Name:	MS_0253.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	3.11 MB 
ID:	88370

Name:	MS_0795.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	2.26 MB 
ID:	88371

Name:	MS_1616.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	88372

Awesome, and congrats.

dapper gentleman in last photo

get any oil on the shoes ?

Congrats mate, that is truly arriving in style
    Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars

Quote Originally Posted by brasher View Post
    Awesome, and congrats.
    Thanks mate!

dapper gentleman in last photo

get any oil on the shoes ?
    Ha! No I didn't, mostly because I only got to ride it to the ceremony which was all of 600m from where we were staying. The best man rode it out to photo locations as I was to ride with the bride. Which meant that he got to ride it about 50kms up and down the coast road on a perfect day, I was somewhat jealous but also a little pre occupied.

Quote Originally Posted by turbo510 View Post
    Congrats mate, that is truly arriving in style
    Thanks mate! Speaking of arriving in style, how's old Ron going?

That last photo is all the more valuable when you know that Farmer risked death by a Tarago weilding Japanese tourist to make it happen.

It really was an awesome day. I've driven quite a few people to their weddings and Mrs Farmer was definitely the least nervous, most excited bride I've seen. And fair enough too, getting to marry Steve's amazing round face

But yeah… red wine. Who's fucking idea was that??
    Quote Originally Posted by RVK 355 View Post
    Hold it flat cunt

Quote Originally Posted by Motherfucker Jones View Post
    That last photo is all the more valuable when you know that Farmer risked death by a Tarago weilding Japanese tourist to make it happen.

It really was an awesome day. I've driven quite a few people to their weddings and Mrs Farmer was definitely the least nervous, most excited bride I've seen. And fair enough too, getting to marry Steve's amazing round face

But yeah… red wine. Who's fucking idea was that??
    Haha, yep, my favourite bit was how said Tarago flew past at like 60kph with his missus taking photo's as they flashed past trying to kill us, like they wanted to video the fatality to review later!

Glad you enjoyed it, which reminds me, I have awkward Matt photo's I'll email through for you

The red wine was good, real good! And you could have just gone to the bar if you wanted a beer!

I've seen at least one awkward photo lol

I was past getting up at that point. Wine was on the table…
    Hold it flat cunt

Day off work today, so organised to go for a ride out to the cotter with a mate, perfect day for it. Was up late last night going over everything, making sure it was ready as this is the biggest ride I've taken it on to date!

What a very 'British' day it turned out to be!

Happily cruising along, heading out of town when my mate comes up beside me and tells me to pull over. Stop on the side of the road, but rattled off the exhaust hanger, almost lost a muffler. So pulled it off, let it cool down, chuck the muffler in my backpack and head back into town, find an Autopro that actually stocks nuts in a UPF thread. Happy days! Bolt muffler back on, getting close to lunch so figured bigger it, head to the city, coffee and lunch await. Nice ride through town, loads of looks and comments from randoms about the bike. All is well!

Finish lunch and decide to head towards home. Bike won't start! Kickstarter turns but barely turns motor, tried roll starting, no dice. Much head scratching goes on, mate decides to head home and come back with a trailer.

So I call Poppy to see if I've done something dumb, he goes 'sounds like the clutch is on the way out, ease off the clutch cable and try start it, might be hard to get into gear though'. Sure enough, that's it. Eased off the clutch cable and starts fine, but clutch is slipping like all hell, nursed it home, but got there!

Poppy reckons the clutch is probably full of oil, so I'll dismantle it this arvo and take a look!

#britbikelife

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Little engine that could. itsnotagsr's Avatar
    LOL. Good way to learn though!
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
    (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
    Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Oil somewhere it shouldn't be? I find that hard to believe!
    Hold it flat cunt

Oil somewhere it shouldn't be? I find that hard to believe!
    Me too! What's it doing not on the floor???

Quote Originally Posted by itsnotagsr View Post
    LOL. Good way to learn though!
    True, and to keep me out of trouble in the meantime the G80 runs the same clutch setup! Spares aplenty!

So, having never pulled one of these clutches apart before and needing to steal some bits off the G80 (assuming they were also usable) I figured I'd start with pulling it apart. There's a special tool you're supposed to use to remove the clutch springs which I don't have, but you can use a flat screwdriver as well, but it's much more difficult and the tool is probably worth the $15 on eBay. Pretty easy though, undo the five Spring screws and the cover comes off, then the plates come easily out of the basket. They look pretty worn as is but might be better than the fucked ones in the G9 at the moment.

Next was pulling apart the G9, what a mission that is! To get the primary cover off you need the footrest out of the way, to get the footrest off both exhausts a need to come off, to get the exhaust off the rear brake lever needs to come off!

I forgot to get a photo but on first inspection I found all 5 clutch springs were looses to the point of falling out! So I first fried tightening them and gave it a kick, had just enough grab to start it up but it was still slipping badly. So apart it all came and it looks like the cork friction material in the clutch plates is logged with oil. Poppy reckons we can get away with soaking them overnight in kerosene, which I'll do for a quick fix, but when brand new plates are $20 each, an $80 brand new clutch and resurfacing the intermediate plates sounds pretty darn decent to me!

So I tried chucking in the plates from the G80 and they seem to have even less grip! So I think I'll bin them all and just buy a fat stack of new clutch plates for both bikes, get all the intermediate plates resurfaced and be happy with two brand new fully functioning clutches.

In the mean time I've been wanting to fix a glaring design flaw in the primary case oil fill for a while, so no time like the present!

ahh yes - brit bike owning allways an adventure.

maybe 'teaching suck eggs etc' - make sure fill chaincase with motorcycle specific oil -non friction modified or a straight weight oil SAE 40. again not friction modified

if you get the plain plates resurfaced - you may not have enough thickness in the stack.

if going to reuse can check them on a plate glass and feeler gauges for warping and thickness.

but guess plain plates cheap enough as well
    Last edited by 9triton; 27-12-15 at 06:31 AM.

Was gunna say dry clutch it shouldn't really matter about specific oil… but semi-dry clutch is probably a better description lol
    Hold it flat cunt

Quote Originally Posted by farmsci View Post
    buy a fat stack of new clutch plates for both bikes, get all the intermediate plates resurfaced
    The correct way with pommy bikes is to collect a pile of corks from bottles, cut roughly to shape, soak in hot water, fit to plate, sand flat and away you go for virtually free. Pomm bike owners spending money when you can do it yourself for free ? Not an option

ahh yes - brit bike owning allways an adventure.

maybe 'teaching suck eggs etc' - make sure fill chaincase with motorcycle specific oil -non friction modified or a straight weight oil SAE 40. again not friction modified

if you get the plain plates resurfaced - you may not have enough thickness in the stack.

if going to reuse can check them on a plate glass and feeler gauges for warping and thickness.

but guess plain plates cheap enough as well
    Interesting thought on the oil, I'd always been told to use the same oil you use for the engine, but that's probably just the tightarse solution!

Correct on the other plates, new ones are $15 each if I need to go down that path. Easy enough to check they aren't warped, but NFI how I know how thick they are supposed to be! Can't find specs in any manuals. But I figured there's enough points of adjustment between the cable, end plates and springs to take out any slack from the difference?

Was gunna say dry clutch it shouldn't really matter about specific oilů but semi-dry clutch is probably a better description lol
    Lol accurate! Pommy logic, 'can we put a dry clutch in an oil reservoir?' 'Sure, just don't put much oil in it!'

Quote Originally Posted by dave1600 View Post
    The correct way with pommy bikes is to collect a pile of corks from bottles, cut roughly to shape, soak in hot water, fit to plate, sand flat and away you go for virtually free. Pomm bike owners spending money when you can do it yourself for free ? Not an option
    Ha! It's funny because that's what Poppy suggested, to which I said yeah, but I'm a part of the eBay generation where having a spare $100 isn't the problem but having a spare 6 hours to reface all those clutch plates is!

Actually, serious question, if you had an easy access inspection port, is there any reason chain lube applied every few rides on the primary chain wouldn't be a sufficient replacement for running the oil bath?

Didn't realise that thing was actually supposed to have oil in it lol. In that case definitely use moto oil
    Hold it flat cunt

Didn't realise that thing was actually supposed to have oil in it lol. In that case definitely use moto oil
    Oh yeah, that's why I'm always complaining about the clamp on the inspection port, that's where you fill the oil from, and given the rate with which it leaks, you have to open it up every couple of weeks

Many guys use ATF in the primary chain case. It's compatible with the clutches and when you get a red leak you know where it came from.

Quote Originally Posted by farmsci View Post
    Interesting thought on the oil, I'd always been told to use the same oil you use for the engine, but that's probably just the tightarse solution!

Correct on the other plates, new ones are $15 each if I need to go down that path. Easy enough to check they aren't warped, but NFI how I know how thick they are supposed to be! Can't find specs in any manuals. But I figured there's enough points of adjustment between the cable, end plates and springs to take out any slack from the difference?

Lol accurate! Pommy logic, 'can we put a dry clutch in an oil reservoir?' 'Sure, just don't put much oil in it!'

lk
    can use engine oil in chain case - just make sure its the non friction modified type-

if your clutch stack isnt thick enough it will be the clamping force and clutch pushrod length that will catch you out

can use engine oil in chain case - just make sure its the non friction modified type-

if your clutch stack isnt thick enough it will be the clamping force and clutch pushrod length that will catch you out
    Uh huh! Duly noted!

So everywhere that sells the clutch plates is on holiday break which is a bit balls.

So I grabbed a pane of glass and the verniers to take stock of everything I need so I can bulk order the lot. All the intermediate plates are within spec for thickness, but all slightly warped, there also seems to be a lot of variety in the thickness of the plates, presumably they just selected plates until they had the correct thickness in the stack, and I'd dare say the ones in there at the moment were all second hand gathered over years and cobbled together till it all worked. some look about 20 odd years old, others look like original 50's units with a lot of pitting and wear.

I was planning on putting it on display in a weeks time at Summernats on works trade stand, so I figured I'll try get it working just well enough to get it 10 minutes down the road and if that works great, if not I'll borrow someone else's bike for display instead. So I cleaned up the friction plates as best I could and gave the steel plates a clean with metho and then scuffed up with some 800 grit sandpaper (which showed the true extent of warping) and slapped it all back in. and hey presto, kicked straight over!

So I've partially assembled it back together without the primary cover and mufflers to take for a test ride around the block and make sure it shifts gears well enough before I put it all back together and start cleaning it up for display. I'll try grab some video of the test ride this arvo for open pipe sound grabs