Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Old, british and awesome - 1955 Matchless G9

also thought I'd measure the free length on all the clutch springs, all the ones in the G80 were within 1.5mm, but the ones in the G9 ranged about 5mm!

So I chucked the set from the G80 in so there's a more even clamping pressure on the clutch and I'll add those to the shopping list too...
    1990 E30 BMW 318is - In progress!
    1974 KE25 Corolla Coupe - So much rust...
    1955 Matchless G9 - On the road and loving it!
    1954 Matchless G80 - Because the one above runs too well so I need something more broken...
    And a fucking 1962 Rover... Because that makes sense

You just said open pipes and summernats, I think you know what needs to happen
    Quote Originally Posted by RVK 355 View Post
    Hold it flat cunt

Quote Originally Posted by Motherfucker Jones View Post
    You just said open pipes and summernats, I think you know what needs to happen
    lol I'll see how it looks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1954 Matchless G80 - Because the one above runs too well so I need something more broken...

Anyone got any tips on reattaching these fancy hose clamps to braided fuel hose without getting fingers stabbed to death?

Lots of tape

Cliffs. I hate those fake clip ends with a passion. Worse than blue silicon bends

Tape and trim a bit of the fuzz off the end of you can.

Or go buy some rubber hose
    Quote Originally Posted by RVK 355 View Post
    Hold it flat cunt

Solved it with a single cable tie! For anyone else dealing with these retarded things, secure a cable tie around the end which will pull in all the strands, tighten enough to compress the hose a little and then you should be able to slide the fancy hose clamp over the frayed end working back the cable tie as you go. A few strands will get caught up in the actual hose clamp bit but will eventually push past.

Also gave the bike a good douse in degreaser and washed it, looks fantastic.

Took it for a ride, sounds bloody good with open pipes, following about 10seconds of consultation with Mr Jones Chop Shop will be acquiring some polished stainless tube to 'fabricate' some slash cut pipes.

can get these beauties which slide in side the pipe:

Quote Originally Posted by 9triton View Post
    can get these beauties which slide in side the pipe:

Yeah I've seen those on eBay. Seem like a decent idea, I'll see how long it takes me to get over loud pipes!

Spent a good 4 hours today and a couple of hours yesterday with metal polish, polishing wheel and the dremel tidying up dull alloy bits. Damn it's looking good, pending nice weather will cruise out with a decent camera for some photo's tomorrow!

Also going to look into a smaller battery that I can mount into one of the tool boxes. I've decided the existing battery and clamp are too ugly and I don't like them, so my solution is to make them disappear and replace with a replica Lucas Altette horn. Should make the left side of the bike a lot cleaner and better to look at!

vid of loud pipes?

If I take it out tomorrow I'll make sure I get some video!

Old, british and awesome - 1955 Matchless G9

Loud noises!
    Last edited by farmsci; 03-01-16 at 08:45 PM.

Aaannnddd here we have a bunch of cool piccies from today's outing courtesy of brapbrapbang and his camera!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1200stevebike1.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	89203

Name:	1200stevebike2.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	89204

Name:	1200stevebike3..jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	89205

Name:	1200stevebike4.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	615.3 KB 
ID:	89206

Name:	1200stevebike5.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	936.2 KB 
ID:	89207

Nice.
    Brapbrapbang's photos are getting better.

does look good all black and shiny.

on a cautionary note -some thing to be aware of:
    note that no mufflers can lean out your jetting - probably ok for pootling around town on the idle and needle circuits-but a freeway run will be different at larger throttle openings when main jet is functioning.

no idea how its jetted or how restrictive the mufflers were - but dont want it to nip up or fuck a piston
    aircooled , cast iron barrels, 50's tech , no oil cooler need all the help they can get.
    amal concentrics (which i think you have) main jets can be changed thru the drain plug on bottom of the fuel bowls and cost about $5 each:

amal:http://www.britcycle.com/Manuals/amaltune.pdf
    look up plug chops
    Last edited by 9triton; 04-01-16 at 07:02 AM.

does look good all black and shiny.

on a cautionary note -some thing to be aware of:
    note that no mufflers can lean out your jetting - probably ok for pootling around town on the idle and needle circuits-but a freeway run will be different at larger throttle openings when main jet is functioning.

no idea how its jetted or how restrictive the mufflers were - but dont want it to nip up or fuck a piston
    aircooled , cast iron barrels, 50's tech , no oil cooler need all the help they can get.
    amal concentrics (which i think you have) main jets can be changed thru the drain plug on bottom of the fuel bowls and cost about $5 each:

amal:http://www.britcycle.com/Manuals/amaltune.pdf
    look up plug chops
    I was wondering about that! Yep it's an Amal Concentric, I also have two spares which is handy! Good excuse to pull one down, learn how it all works and reassemble with correct jets.

Once again, your advice is invaluable!

After coming to the conclusion that the battery and its bracket are the only ugly things on the bike I decided to do something about it.

They really aren't pretty at all:

Luckily there is a 'tool compartment' next to it:

So I put one of these inside it:

Extended a few wires, cut a small hole in the top of the tool box and now it's all gone!

Was a bit of a late night botch job to make sure it was gonna work. Still need to fab up a bracket to hold the battery in place inside the tool box so it won't rattle about, and I'll tidy up the wiring a bit more too.

Next up, I'll order one of these to mount where the battery used to be as it looks pretty bare with nothing there!

Solid evenings progress!

All my new clutch bits arrived last week, which was exciting. So I slapped it all back together quickly just to make sure it was all good. Turns out the new clutch plates and steel plates are much thinner than the originals, which meant that I ended up running an extra clutch plate and steel plate to get the stack to the right thickness. Fortunately I ordered two whole clutches so I had enough plates to at least complete the stack for the G9. I'll have to order in a few extra's now for the G80. Kicked over nice n easy first go and after a bit of adjustment, the clutch feels a lot better and a lot stronger (somewhat unsurprisingly I guess). Can't wait to take it for a ride now. I do wonder if the clutch wasn't really holding at high load before which is why it struggled so much at higher speeds. I'll find out soon enough I guess!

Name:	IMG_2884.JPG 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	90209

It's nuts just how much disassembly is required to get the inner primary cover off, but I'm glad I made the effort, as I found a couple of engine mounting studs which had rattled loose! So I took the opportunity to go over the whole bike tensioning up bots and studs, of which there were many that needed it. I forgot that checking all the bolts are tight is routine maintenance in these things!

Name:	IMG_2902.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	90210

Ahhhh, fresh clutches look sooooooooo much better than the manky old cork shit. I struggle with the idea of spending hours shaving down wine corks for the DIY clutch when a full new set is all of $150.

Name:	IMG_2903.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	2.09 MB 
ID:	90211

Name:	IMG_2904.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	1.81 MB 
ID:	90212

Slowly piece it all back together...

Name:	IMG_2906.JPG 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	90213

Name:	IMG_2907.JPG 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	90214

And now using proper oil in the primary case along with a new seal to hopefully slow down the leaking!

Name:	IMG_2908.JPG 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	90215

Next installment will be tidying up some wiring just to neaten up the appearance on the 'ugly' side which is already looking less ugly sans battery and install the new battery bracket Poppy fabbed up at the mens shed last week!
    Aim is to get it all sorted and back on the road for the 27th for a car and bike show I'm keen to take it along to.

Today's lesson: Even with new seals, the primary chain case will literally dispose of all its oil within 24 hours.

Note to self: seal everything with all the fucking gasket goo in the tube, the seals are there for decoration only.

It was somewhat fortuitous that Repco had degreaser for $1 a can then!

Garage looking good again!

Alright, got some time this arvo to sort out reroute get some ugly wiring and install the new battery mount inside the tool box.

Remade wiring coming off the brake light switch and heat shrieked black so the plugs don't stand out against the black paint.

And the end result probably looks no different to anyone but me! But I'm happy with it.

All that's left now is to gasket goo the shit out of the chain case seal so it doesn't spew its guts everywhere and then done for now.

Oh, I also won an Altette horn on eBay so that will get mounted up when it arrives. Will be a bonus if it actually works! If it does I'll tackle the wiring again, hide more of it better, just CBF taking the tank off to do it right now, sick of not riding it!

Then I can get stuck into the G80 again!

its the small things that count ...

Another day, another breakdown!

On the plus side the new clutch is MUCH better, bites confidently, accelerates better. Rode out to a show on the weekend which was great, enjoyed the ride through a bit of traffic too.

Then riding home, it all turned to shit. Clutch felt like it was binding up but cable was working fine. Then bam, at the traffic lights it stalled, clutch did nothing yet cable was working perfectly.

So pulled it up on the traffic island, right in the middle of the city in busy traffic and went about pulling off the clutch cover and pulling it all down. Pulled the clutch out altogether popped it in first and tried to kick it over and it went to roll forward. At which point some penis in a Jeep yelled out 'I think you just left it in gear mate!'. Yeah, cheers bro, didn't think about that hey!

So as it turns out the new bearings behind the clutch basket are the problem. MOST british bikes run a standard 1/4 X 1/4 cylinder bearings. MINE of course runs bearings that are 1/4in diameter and just shy of 1/4in wide. So when cold worked fine, when hot they expand just slightly which seized it up! Balls...

So now I need to track down the right ones and pull it all down again.

On a side note, the Altette horn turned up and I dummied up some brackets, I reckon it looks just right! Made me happy again!

That awkward moment when you come to post about a breakdown only to realise your last post was also about a breakdown...

Good news is clutch was all sorted since the last post, I even passed my P's test on the old thing!

Went to go for a ride on Friday and learned that the old 'Lucas, prince of darkness' gag is a very real thing. I thought is must've just been a flat battery as it was sitting for about a week and a half, but the battery is good, the fuses are good, the bulbs are good. No electrickery...

So once again Mr Jones towing to the rescue...

I do want to say though, I have been riding it a bit lately and it was relatively trouble free!

Little engine that could. itsnotagsr's Avatar
    Great couple of posts. My Dad keeps a spare small battery in a saddle bag with his emergency tools. It seems like most of his breakdowns are battery related, or the bike doesn't charge them properly. Everyone in the club seems to complain that modern batteries are "shit".
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
    (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
    Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Magneto's would fix this.....

Unless you actually want modern stuff like lights.
    Last edited by dave1600; 30-05-16 at 11:59 AM.

Battery hasn't given me any grief actually, in fact, when I thought it might be dead I took it to a battery joint down the road to test it and his response was 'WOW! This battery is awesome, it's rated at 105CCA but its cranking out 150!!! That's not the problem!'

Talking to Pop about it on the weekend he did mention that the generator is still only putting out 6v, which would explain why it still eventually runs flat if you ride with the headlight on. So it might be worthwhile rebuilding and converting it to 12v which can be done. then I shouldn't have any drama's running with all the lights and actually charging the battery back up while riding.

So anyways, problem fixed. I think I'll need to include the multimeter in my tool roll when I go for a ride in future. Turns out is was a fuse all along. it didn't blow, but where the fuse wire is soldered to the cap it must've come apart. So visual inspection showed it was fine, actually testing it showed it was stuffed. Replaced and all good again. So I'll add that and the associated tools and spares to the list of things to take with me when I do go riding... Or maybe I'll just take the whole toolbox on a pannier rack or something

Either way I felt a little silly getting Matt to haul it across town in the ute to replace a fuse... Thanks again mate!

Little engine that could. itsnotagsr's Avatar
    LOL. Reminds you how far things have come since the Japs brought the word "reliable" into the motorcycling lexicon.

Electrics have caused 99% of Dad's roadside adventures. Which is why I bring a reliable bike to ride home on and pick up the car and trailer

A spare battery *may* have fixed this?
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
    (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
    Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

about 2 yeas ago - bought some cheapest battery of ebay for my 75 triumph bonnevile.

went out to a club meeting in day light - on way back at night lights just failed and bike stopped . shit - had about 2 spanners and a screwdriver with me .
    (
    determined the battery was dead (reckon it was the vibes had killed my new cheapo battery).

luckily was about 300m from a coles supermarket . went in and bought two 6volt square dolphin torch batteries and they just fitted where orig battery was -.
    stretched out the battery coil spring terminals and a linked the batteries in series (+ to -) to give 12volts and reconnected the battery lead terminals to the other + and -.
    chucked cheapo battery away
    voila - kick started

and rode home on melb freeway thru tunnel , over westgate (to the santucty of the west ) with parkers on .

got a few dudes tooting me re no lights - . but hey made it

now its yuasa brand only.
    Last edited by 9triton; 31-05-16 at 07:24 PM.

about 2 yeas ago - bought some cheapest battery of ebay for my 75 triumph bonnevile.

went out to a club meeting in day light - on way back at night lights just failed and bike stopped . shit - had about 2 spanners and a screwdriver with me .
    (
    determined the battery was dead (reckon it was the vibes had killed my new cheapo battery).

luckily was about 300m from a coles supermarket . went in and bought two 6volt square dolphin torch batteries and they just fitted where orig battery was -.
    stretched out the battery coil spring terminals and a linked the batteries in series (+ to -) to give 12volts and reconnected the battery lead terminals to the other + and -.
    chucked cheapo battery away
    voila - kick started

and rode home on melb freeway thru tunnel , over westgate (to the santucty of the west ) with parkers on .

got a few dudes tooting me re no lights - . but hey made it

now its yuasa brand only.
    Lol! Now that's being resourceful! I'll file that one away for future reference, I feel I may need it some day.

Took this thing out for a ride again today, first dry weekend in a while! Plus there's a club run next weekend and wanted to make sure everything was tip top before hand. Didn't even breakdown once! Not even a stall!

Starting to get a bit more confident cornering and also head checking (remembering I've only been riding a year!). Man it's so much fun, I really look forward to every opportunity to jump on and ride, even without anywhere to go or anyone to see!

Few anecdotes from today's ride:
    - adjusted angle of levers and mirrors, all much better now.
    - just because you can see the sun doesn't mean it's summer glove weather!
    - bought new boots recently, BMW Urban's, they are great, absolutely love em!
    - last week when I washed the bike I may have been a little too enthusiastic with the hose in gunked up crevices, seems I filled the chaincase with water and made a milkshake today...

I'm not gonna lie, there was a fleeting moment where in my brain I thought 'FUCK! Blew a head gasket!' Before I quickly realised how dumb that was!

So now I'll need to strip down the chaincase AGAIN to clean out all the shit. Another lesson learned I guess.

Also found that most of the oil leaks appear to be coming from ancient nylon washers, so I'll just order a box of assorted washers and replace and re-torque everything while I have it all apart.