Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: VS UTE 5L- Wayne Gardner Racing ugliness.

VS 5L WGR ute.

So i've been on here for a few years, and haven't contributed much.
    Thought i'd start a thread on my ute, more for myself really so i can easily document and see the journey it's been through with me. It's nothing to spectacular compared to most cars on here, but i don't know, some of you may be interested.

It's a Wayne Gardner Racing enhanced VS 5L 5 speed ute. Utes were fairly rare, i've only seen one other on the road, and a couple in magazines/on the net.
    Mine was built from a new car, it got Recaro seats with WGR logos, Momo steering wheel with WGR logo horn button, Momo alloy gearknob, full WGR body kit, WGR stickers and badges inside and out, genuine carbon fibre intake snorkel and airbox lid, WGR build plate. Unfortunately it wasnt optioned with the stroker motor built by the race team that was also available at the time. But it does have some nice ceramic coated extractors and a WGR 185kw memcal -i opened up the ecu case and confirmed this, it has WGR 185 writen on the memcal. Does it make a difference? Fuck knows. It's not particularly quick at all, but it does the job.
    The original owner also fitted an EB GT rear wing in place of the WGR T wing, and a Quig Tonneau electric roller door style tonneau cover.
    He also fitted some fucking ugly chrome Enkei G Zero 18in rims, which came straight off as soon as i got it home, replaced by some more tasteful VY SS wheels.

This thing came into my life back in 2004 when i was working as a mechanic at a Holden dealer. It was traded for something better, and was in kinda rough shape. Rough enough that they didn't want to resell it on the yard, so it was earmarked for wholesale. I stepped in and made an offer, and not long after took it home.

Some early pics from 2004. A good camera can make a car look way cleaner than it really is.

When i got it home, i started doing some research on the WGR built cars. I remembered seeing an old Street Commodores mag from back in the day that had a WGR VS on the cover, so i dug through piles of old magazines until i found it. Then it hit me- "Fuck me, thats my car!"
    They also recycled the story for an Awesome Commodores mag too. I have a few copies of both now

Ugly Enkeis are ugly.

More to come, including skid pics and carnage!
    Last edited by StupidFlanders; 08-01-18 at 05:36 PM.

Pics borked

Use to know the cunt who owned it before you, a short jocky looking cunt name Glenn.

Looked tidy back then, but that wing never made sense.

/ --------------- \
    _/ /___________\ \_
    /_________|_________\
    |OOO ___________ OOO|
    \______|====|______/
    [_]-------------------[_]

That's cool for its uniqueness if nothing else.
    Retard Honour Wall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    Rob Sloth Young did i ask for your opinion? no. i only want it for a paddock bomb. go play with traffic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles View Post
    you stupid fucken imbicle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles
    your are a fucken idiot of the highest level.

Now back in 2004, drifting sprung up at Oran Park. I went out to spectate at an early event. Sideways skids. Yes. I would like to do this.
    So a few guys at work and i entered in an Initial Drift practice day on the north circuit.

First ever drift day:

Many popped tyres and shit eating grins later i was hooked! This is my new thing.
    And so it went on, for the next couple of years, attending every OP drift day (or night) that i could. Back then Oran Park used to host friday night off street drifts every couple of weeks or so. I used to pop in on the way home from work with a tray full of tyres, destroy them, then continue on my way home. Great times.

During this time the suspension was attended to, as it wasn't particularly great in the handling department.
    In went basically an entire Pedders catalogue of bits- front coilovers, rear coils and lowered shocks, 30mm front swaybar, 24mm rear, adjustable panhard rod, strut brace and Nolathane bushes all round. Much better.
    I also fucked off the dodgy LSD for a mini spool- best mod ever. So predictable time after time.

Some drift pics:

At some point this happened one friday night at Oran Park, ditch vs front bar. Always bet on the ditch.

Lucky Drift Battle magazine was there to catch it. I think Nafe took this shot?

So from then on it sported some nice red 100mph tape on the front.
    More skids.

I have shitloads more, somewhere.
    More story to come, including many different wheel changes.
    Last edited by StupidFlanders; 08-01-18 at 05:38 PM.

I see you ditched the G-Zeros, top stuff! A world with less G-Zeros is a world I want my children to grow up in!
    1990 E30 BMW 318is - In progress!
    1974 KE25 Corolla Coupe - So much rust...
    1955 Matchless G9 - On the road and loving it!
    1954 Matchless G80 - Because the one above runs too well so I need something more broken...
    And a fucking 1962 Rover... Because that makes sense

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
    Use to know the cunt who owned it before you, a short jocky looking cunt name Glenn.

Looked tidy back then, but that wing never made sense.
    Yes i met him years later. I used to do ten pin bowling in a league he was in, the last night ever i drove in the ute. He spotted it and said "hey thats my old ute!"
    Turns out he lived around the corner from me too! Not far from Race6.3L too.

I agree with the wing. Ugly as fuck. That's why i removed it and chucked it at the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by bigmuz View Post
    That's cool for its uniqueness if nothing else.
    Yeah thats how i see it. Wayne wasn't particularly memorable for anything great in sedans. And im the first to admit its not the prettiest looking design haha.

Quote Originally Posted by farmsci View Post
    I see you ditched the G-Zeros, top stuff! A world with less G-Zeros is a world I want my children to grow up in!
    Yeah when i got it the chrome was peeling off them, the centre caps were missing and they were gutter rashed with bald tyres. Absolute vomit.
    I chucked them on my old VL when i sold it.

I don't think the Drift Battle pic was mine, but possibly. If I get a chance I'll dig through the archives and see if I can find the old pics of the ute!
    Nathan

Speed Shots Photography | CAMS Gold Level Photographer
    Official Photographer 2018 | Shannons Nationals | Porsche Michelin GT3 Cup Challenge | Hi-Tec Oils Bathurst 6 Hour | Adelaide 500

After a couple of years learning to drift, the ute was starting to get a bit haggard. It was time for a dedicated drift car to save any more damage on it. It was still my daily driver and only car i had.
    I started the build on my new car in 2006, but with another friday night drift coming up and the new car not quite finished i decided to take the ute out for one last time.
    What could go wrong?

Was all going well until entering turn 1 on OP north i heard a weird bang noise from the rear (which turned out to be an axle snapping at the splines) then coming through the next left hander i spun 180 degrees and stalled and ended up facing the oncoming cars unable to move. Well the first car got by ok, but the S13 following must not have been paying attention and locked up and slid head on straight into me!

His car was a bit of a mess, mine not so much. But he did finish off my front bar for good.

So i chucked on some more tape and limped it home in 1 wheel drive. A bit sketchy because it would light that 1 wheel up at 80kmh at anything over half throttle.

And that was it for skids in the ute. For a while anyway.....
    Last edited by StupidFlanders; 08-01-18 at 05:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nafe View Post
    I don't think the Drift Battle pic was mine, but possibly. If I get a chance I'll dig through the archives and see if I can find the old pics of the ute!
    I have a few Speed Shots watermarked pics of my ute, i think i have some of my VL wagon as well that replaced it.

edit.This one

Last edited by StupidFlanders; 08-01-18 at 05:40 PM.

Ha! I remember the wagon more than the Ute!
    Nathan

Speed Shots Photography | CAMS Gold Level Photographer
    Official Photographer 2018 | Shannons Nationals | Porsche Michelin GT3 Cup Challenge | Hi-Tec Oils Bathurst 6 Hour | Adelaide 500

Oh and these too.....

Great sequence. First person ever to hit the turn 11 and 12 tyres at Eastern creek! Shit cunt lol.

And another angle taken by somebody else.

But that car's story is for another day.
    Last edited by StupidFlanders; 08-01-18 at 05:41 PM.

Good times.

Those early years were NSW drifting in it's prime.

I recall seeing a WGR VS One-Tonner once, in the same colour, with Momo 20s on it.

Yep lots of memories from back in the day, have a few pics of the Wagon airborne heading down the kink at OP North somewhere.
    If in doubt power out

pretty sure i still have that issue of street commodores floating around somewhere
    HR31 Coupe - RB20, Bilsteins, Cage and shit
    R31 Ti - Sun Visor, Venetian Blinds, Coilovers, Whiteline Bars, Wog Stance.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Jones View Post
    Farmer its all about how you cut them up, like a dead hooker jigsaw puzzle.

Ute looks better than most modern HSV efforts.
    Quote Originally Posted by oioioioioi View Post
    I've never said or implied everyone on that page was a deadshit - just that there's a concentration of deadshits there. Think of it like a mine, but instead of a rich vein of gold bearing quartz, it's a rich vein of spastic bearing facebook posts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sketchy View Post
    Any peanut who thinks they could have done it better from the comfort of their armchair or work desk is a genuine mong level potato.

25 schmeckles? Do the safety dance.'s Avatar
    I think I attended a drift day at OP once when you were driving, I was driving a little silver KE70. Or it could have been when my mate was driving, we used to share the car. /CSH

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Evo 7 View Post
    Good times.

Those early years were NSW drifting in it's prime.

I recall seeing a WGR VS One-Tonner once, in the same colour, with Momo 20s on it.
    Hell yes. Was some of the best times of my life out there, was just normal dudes having fun. Sadly it's nothing like that today. Full of flat brim cockheads and politics and people trying to win HP hero's.

Quote Originally Posted by Rona View Post
    Yep lots of memories from back in the day, have a few pics of the Wagon airborne heading down the kink at OP North somewhere.
    Ummmm....... this one?

Why are all my pictures on here of me crashing or being rubbish? Lol
    Last edited by StupidFlanders; 08-01-18 at 05:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EVOSTi View Post
    I think I attended a drift day at OP once when you were driving, I was driving a little silver KE70. Or it could have been when my mate was driving, we used to share the car. /CSH
    Was it a night drift? Was it turbo'd? I do remember going up against a silver KE in one of the regular friday night comps.

25 schmeckles? Do the safety dance.'s Avatar
    We took it out a couple of times on a Friday night, never did any competition though. Just had a very tired NA 4AGE.

Now back to the ute.
    With the new VL wagon finished and debuted, the ute was officially retired from drifting. Time to start returning it back into something a bit more respectable.
    We used to have a rep from Talon bodykits come into work weekly. Talon actually did the original kit for WGR, so i got him to supply me a new front bar for the price of free. Score! He was also rummaging around at Talon and managed to find me a brand new genuine WGR metal bonnet badge hidden in a drawer. Double score! When i first got the ute, the proper bonnet badge had been stolen and was replaced with an HSV one, as well as the engine cover emblem.

I found out that another company we dealt with at work, Scope, actually did the original stickers for the WGR cars. And after talking to their rep/fitter i found out they still had the files for all the stickers on their computers. Fuck yeah. The next week i had a full brand new complete sticker kit ready to go on after a respray. (umm respray never happened, and i still have them stored away with my new bonnet badge)

Off with the sad old bar

And on with the new

The new bar fit like a fucking glove! No mods needed except for drilling a couple of mounting holes. Fucking amazing!
    It stayed in primer for a while, eventually i got around to getting it painted.

The mini spooled diff came out and made it's way into the wagon, and was replaced with a standard LSD.
    And a fresh look with Monaro 18's, wing relocated to local tip, and the troublesome Quig tonneau joining the wing and replaced by a regular hard top.

Once again, a good camera hides many sins.

It continued on as my daily driver, towing shit, carrying all manner of shit in the tray, generally being used as a ute would.

Then came another wheel change to VX GTS 19's

Towed the boss's boat. (well i moved it around the workshop anyway. yes i know the jockey wheel is down, the photo was an afterthough as i was unhooking it)
    Last edited by StupidFlanders; 08-01-18 at 05:43 PM.

Some time later the GTS rims were removed for another VL project. I wanted something new.
    I came across the ROH Raceline rims. These looked a lot like old V8 Supercar rims.

Especially when you paint them white. I also had Scope make me up some WGR stickers for them in the proper WGR font for a personal touch.

At this point the ugly sticker fucked VL (wtf was i thinking? I just kept chucking stickers over the shit paint as i got them. God it looked awful) drift car was gone, and in it's place was a 180sx RB20det for skid duties, as well as a new car trailer to lug it around on.

And it rocked some 16in B45s for a little while to go with the 15in V5s on the trailer. I have A.D.D.

More to come, including whatever pics i find and can be fucked uploading. And the current sad state it's in and future plans....
    Last edited by StupidFlanders; 08-01-18 at 05:44 PM.

Those wgr cars used to give me a horn back when they were new.

Does look tops with the white wheels on.

Pretty cool and uncommon ute and yep the white rims are sweet!
    1971 Mazda 1300 Estate Deluxe 1500cc Twin SU - 1979 Mazda RX7 12APP - 1994 Mazda Familia GTR - 1973 Mazda 1300 Wagon

looked great on the VX GTS rims.

Should've kept the Enkei G Zero's uleh
    Hide yo' wife!!!

Quote Originally Posted by FLI355 View Post
    looked great on the VX GTS rims.
    Yeah looking back now i think so too. I checked on prices on ebay out of curiosity, fuck me dead people want a fortune for them! I sold mine for a grand, repainted and with good tread Pirelli P zeros. Doh!

Found more pics of them, shit quality from an early camera phone, but still looks good.

Last edited by StupidFlanders; 08-01-18 at 05:44 PM.